Rifts.

Started by Muse, January 13, 2006, 11:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Does anyone out there run Rifts or Nightbane? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Celestial Goblin

I was actually always curious of the system, though never got to play it. It's a hybrid of sci-fi and fantasy i know. I'll likely be reading the main book soon, so if there will be a game i might try it.

Siegfried

I've got more Rifts books than I can shake a stick at.  I'd like to play a game with them, but parts of their systems just don't make any sense.

Amberghylles

I've played and run both Rifts and Nightbane (or as my rule book calls it, Nightspawn <grin>)

I find Rifts to be very over the top, but sometimes that's just what you want in a game.  And Nightbane is just damn cool.

Xerial

When you can make a man all but unkillable and able to rip apart solid stell with his bare hands, but guaranteed to die in four years, you are bound for the biggest a wacky over the top frag festival this side of a coked up Rambo...

Brandon

Let me just add to this conversation Juicers and Mystic Knights rock. Im a long time rifts players and GM but sadly I dont have the time to run an additional game at the moment. Besides I like my rifts games to be a little more localized then the commonly overdone 'jump through every dimension the GM can think of'
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Xerial

Every RIFTS game I was ever a part of ended up almost the same... one of the guys would have a small army of giant spider walking robots reprogrammed to speak in French Canadian accents and somehow he would manage to obtain giant touques for them and train them to weild giant hockey sticks... it was just... odd...

Brandon

The best rifts game I ever played was based around a small town just inside Tolkien's border. It was mostly a magic based group though I was playing a dragon juicer at the time and we spent the better part of 6 months every week just preventing that town from being attacked by bandits and Coalition soldiers. The great thing about it was we were seen and treated as heros by a population of about 200-300 people.

The dimension jumping thing just gets boring to me
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Muse

Most fun. 

Would anyone be intrested in running? 

I keep thinking that the Splugorth would make for an intresing blend of an action/adventure plot with cuthulesque bondage sequences for those who enjoyed them. 

Or even without them, an atlantian slave girl revolt might be intresting. 

Or anything else that would amuse the GM, even without any sexual content at all. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Siegfried

Despite my misgivings with the system; I would love to play in their universe.

Celestial Goblin

So i got it, the RIFTS book, with mister tentacled guy on the cover, and his nice harem who vigoriously guard their sweetie from any harm.
I like it a lot from what i glanced, thoug i didn't even try to delve into the mechanics.
Some of the coalition vehicles... Oh my... How pretentious...
The dog soldiers are scary as hell, the overall anti-utopia feel very nice, the high tech gear...
well sorry, it's often very sexy...
Rolling up a test character i got an charismatic intellectualist with very poor physical prowess and huge endurance, though i understand usually players can assign attributes as they want, right?
Overally it's fun, though i agree the 'Juicers' are a crazy concept...

Amberghylles

I like the juicer.  For four to five years you are THE MAN.  And who wants to get old anyway?   Most soldiers/mercenaries/adventurers get killed in the field anyway...

It's interesting to put yourself in the mindset of a suicidial drugged up psycho for a while.  It gives you a certain liberating freedom to take insane risks you wouldn't normally in a game... and more often than not succeed at them.  <grins>   

Celestial Goblin

Sure it's nice, but actually i thought that a lot of people from that depressing world would do it, and suddenly, well... I'm guessing that a supplements called 'Juicer uprising' would tell me what would happen then.

Brandon

Juicer uprising is my favorite book. Playing a juicer is just awesome and fun but I also love the technological type pilots. Borgs are pretty fun too though. Nothing like being a walking arsenal thats tough as a tank.

Amberghylles

Well, what happens is that if you don't get yourself killed your body just up and wears out.  Usually a heart attack or some other form of sudden tramatic system-wide failure as the bio-comp just can't keep you going any longer.  

Juicer Uprising has a lot of expanded information on the Juicer Process along with several new types of Juicers and a bunch of crazy Juicer weapons.  (I mean, who else would use an MDC chainsaw with a laser SMG built into it?)

Natalie C. Barney

No I always like the level headed soldier in a big war machine- in Robotech a Destroid with huge guns or an advanced veritech with racks of lethal missles.  ;D

In Palladium Fantasy I usually played a Witch or a Warlock- maybe a Men-at-Arms.

Not sure about RIFTS never got into the system much.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Siegfried

Same system, different world.
Personally, I'm more impressed with the Rifter.  The ideas than fans come up with and send in for pure fun are better than some of the offical character classes.  As for the Juicers, I love the favour text from Juicer Uprising:  "If you wanna be tough, become a Juicer.  If you wanna be a GOD, become a Mega-Juicer."

Brandon

Personally I like my dragon juicer way more then any mega juicer. Having a phobia where you think dragons are out to get you leads you to more interesting roleplay encounters and burning villages then one would suspect. Hearing the interest Im acctually tempted to run one now but I really dont think I have the time to devot to another high mantenance game.

Something that might help in finding a GM. Everyone give a description of what they want in a Rifts game.

Siegfried

To feel like what are characters do, matters.  To have opponets that are beatable.  Movie style fight scenes.  The chance to sleep with some hot bodies.  That's about it for me....

Natalie C. Barney

Not really RIFTS lets you bring in characters from any of their systems but I found it doesn't always work. But what's the fun with an invincible character I tend to like having to work at it some- my favorite game I played in was NINJAS AND SUPERSPIES I ran a female merc with a liking of heavy firepower and was good at Kenjitsu (gun or katana it was all good).  ;)
Natalie Clifford Barney

Amberghylles

Well, honestly my favorite Rifts character was a crossover Nightbane.  Went from being a doctor in Chicago in Nightbane Earth to fighting the guerrellia war against the Coalition out of Tolkeen and the like.  Of course, it was interesting that his facade form and it's medical skills were often as valuable as his horrific MDC morpheus form's raw fighting power...

Siegfried

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on January 14, 2006, 09:46:11 PM
Not really RIFTS lets you bring in characters from any of their systems but I found it doesn't always work. But what's the fun with an invincible character I tend to like having to work at it some- my favorite game I played in was NINJAS AND SUPERSPIES I ran a female merc with a liking of heavy firepower and was good at Kenjitsu (gun or katana it was all good).  ;)
Ninjas and Superspies good, Mystic China better.  I'm not saying that characters should be invincible, but I want to fight and actually have a chance of winning.  The majority of the enemies in Rifts' are so powerful that you can't do anything against them.

Natalie C. Barney

That's why I generally don't play RIFTS. I get ROBOTECH the machines are formidable but they are still normal people inside (or miniature aliens) so its the best of both worlds. And remember in that Anime Series the best action took place outside the mecha sometimes.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Muse

Hm... 

I'm torn between a Mind Melter and a a True Atlantian Tatooed Babe...  I mean, undead hunter. 

Hm...  I might be playing a bit latter today, I'd better go see if I can make either of those charecters work. 

Faolan

My favorite book was Rifts: Atlantis and my favorite class was True Atlantean Undead Slayer. The whole tattoo magic thing gives me a woody and I love the concept of true atlanteans. And Undead Slayers are just BaaaaaD Aaaaaasssssssss!  hehe.