Haven (Players Wanted)

Started by Vandren, July 05, 2005, 10:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Alright, I'm still tossing around ideas for a second game to run.  The other two didn't generate much interest, but maybe this one will.  :)

The basic idea is very loosely based on White Wolf’s World of Darkness and the movie Underworld.  I suppose I should also note that it's partially inspired by a game that was run over on RPOL, which I briefly co-GMed, until the primary GM got bored and deleted the whole thing (since it might sound familiar to some folks here ;)).

Technical Bits
Various supernatural species roaming around (vampires, werecreatures, mages, mortals, ghouls)

Various factions, typically across race lines (vamps v. weres v. mages v. mortals), though one or two of mixed species.

For the WoD folks, ignore clans, breeds, tribes, traditions, and the Camarilla/Sabbat/Technocracy

Most mortals (ok, 99 out of 100) don’t know that supernatural creatures exist outside of faerie tales.  The strongest factions among each species prefer to keep things that way.

The Setting
Haven is located on a slightly large island off the US’s eastern coast, about ½ mile into international waters.  All policed by Black Rose security, very few rules/laws – all regarding theft and murder (bribery can get one a long way in terms of murder, though).  Drugs are all legal, or at least aren’t illegal, same with firearms, prostitution and gambling.  Even slavery, while not officially sanctioned, is facilitated on the island.  The island is about 20 miles by 30 miles, located near the Bermuda Triangle.  Occasionally weird stuff washes ashore out of the triangle.  Basically anything goes so long as it doesn’t draw the attention of the international mortal community.  It is a favourite vacation spot among wealthy single men and women, especially those with unusual tastes, and for those who enjoy exploring new things in most aspects of their lives.

Any interest?
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Bishrook aka Fate sisters

Actually yes, I was thinking somewhat along the same lines.
Let me tell you first what i like about your proposal. Then if you will indulge tell aboiut some ideas of my own.
First I like you idea of a "Freetown' setting where law and order are maintained but the laws are at bare minimum.
Second I love the WOD world atmosphere of semi horror gothic. I like especially the changeling game.
Third I like dumping all those sub groups for a more loose structure.
Forth I like the 'political intrigue' possibilities of your model.
Fifth the idea of visitors there for the exotic atmosphere gives a lot of story scope.

Now here are some of the ideas that I was entertaining
Adding in as a 'race' human mutants with medium level powers.
While the politics is fun to look at it is difficult to do well as a story. I was thinking more along the lines of several teams both good and bad competing with each other. The conflict would come in fighting but recruiting other PC's to your team would be a major factor.
To illustrate:  you could have a vampire 'squad' run by the  prince of the city (Substitute any leader of a gang or race). They are mostly vampires but---well--- the leader is out to win so others  are recruited.
Another group might be a special squad of Black Rose assigned to investigate murder and theft plus keep a lid on gang warfare.
Final another motif borrowed from the Super genre....Monster(s) of the week that threatens everybody.

A final note I prefer Freeform of KISS (Keep it simple stupid) rules and in any case a minimum of die rolling. Just enough rules to prevent god moding and yet simple enough to set the munckins fleeing.
If any of this appeals to you and you are interested in collaborating on setting it up and running it could you drop me a line here and/or a PM.>

Steph
Weaver of threads
 Clotho who spins,Lachesis who weaves Atopos who cuts
We are the fate sisters, the Moerae, who apportion your destiny.
ons and offs
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=7310.0

Vandren

My plan was/is to keep it purely freeform with no game system stuff involved or knowledge of the WoD world required.  The idea's just loosely based on that setting in regards to the critters and whatnot.  I'd rather stick to pure freeform, or maybe an extremely simple combat/resistance system, in order to have a broader appeal.

A second moderator/GM would also be an excellent thing.  The idea I had in mind involved two owners of the Black Rose effectively owning the island, so a second mod/GM to play the second owner would be wonderful.

Quote from: bishrook aka fate sisters on July 06, 2005, 10:52:34 AM
Adding in as a 'race' human mutants with medium level powers.

That I could definitely see, something beyond merely having Ghouls (living quasi-vampires fed on vamp blood).

QuoteWhile the politics is fun to look at it is difficult to do well as a story. I was thinking more along the lines of several teams both good and bad competing with each other. The conflict would come in fighting but recruiting other PC's to your team would be a major factor.

Definite possibility.  Factions don't have to be politically based, in fact I assumed some would be little more than glorified biker gangs or mob outlets.  :)  While various factions, gangs, and whatnot will, of course, have their own leadership on the island in all likelihood, I planned on the club/island owners having final authority.  Oh, and I'm working up little two sentence descriptions of a couple sample factions as well.

QuoteFinal another motif borrowed from the Super genre....Monster(s) of the week that threatens everybody.

Reason #1 I stuck it on a fictional island near the Bermuda Triangle.  :D
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

GolGol

I would very much be interessted in joining a game like this as mine are slowly dropping out...^_^
My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Vandren

Quote from: GolGol on July 06, 2005, 03:06:53 PM
I would very much be interessted in joining a game like this as mine are slowly dropping out...^_^

How could anyone say no to that AV?  :)

I liked the bermuda triangler idea a lot. You could also have all vaiaty of fantsy rqces showing if we wanted to along with visitors from alternate historys. So it opens a huge nimvber of stories we might tell.
I love freeform. lets go that way.
I have some idea on some of the background that I would to talk to you aboutbut basicly what you came up with is good for me.
Should we work here or in PM?
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

Vandren

Quote from: bishrook aka fate sisters on July 07, 2005, 08:33:43 PM
I liked the bermuda triangler idea a lot. You could also have all vaiaty of fantsy rqces showing if we wanted to along with visitors from alternate historys.

That I'd kinda like to avoid . . . *shudders at the thought of even more Drow and whatnot*  Rather, I'd like to just leave the Triangle for beasties and the like.  Otherwise, I think the setting idea loses its feel, after the thirtieth Drow, tenth Krynn Gnome, seventeenth Kender, and eighth Dragon wash up on shore (numbers are purely random, not limits, dammit :D).

QuoteI have some idea on some of the background that I would to talk to you aboutbut basicly what you came up with is good for me.
Should we work here or in PM?

I've been working out a few details and such though I don't want to get too wrapped up in a massively detailed background, and I'm thinking about requesting the forum tonight, maybe within the hour, though I still have a few offline things to do in a little bit.

Basically, I came up with the plausable idea that the island was purchased/claimed in the 1930s and used as a base for rum runners until the owners built up the capital to found the city.  One of the current owners is the son of one of those two.  The other, who knows, atm.  :)  Due to various juicy pieces of dirt the owners have on members of Congress, the British Parliament, officials of various Caribbean nations, and political lobbist/business-type folks, they keep free of international meddling, provided nothing too outlandish happens (like a member of the Royal Family disappearing or whatnot).

Vandren

Ok, I haven't requested a board yet.  Why?  Primarily because I'd like a better title for it than just "Haven".  Any suggestions?

When I was thinking for my game I was thinking Freetown.
I agree about Driw--especially about those that show up with two swords.
My ownb idea was that the city was founded more recently and was initially a "special Ecinomic zone' of a small island Nation. Five billionares got together to devleoup it. Eventially it got so big iy beame the nation thus getting it soveriegn. So technicaly it is still the Repubic of san christa but everyone refers to it as Freetown.
Why do I suggest this...basicly every peice of territory in the world is clamed by somebody and nations are damn jelaous of giving it up...OTOH a number of nations have set upareas for econimic develoupment where their usual laws don't apply. (china for example)
So it no biggie for me but for me it sounds more plausable and doesn't reguire all the influance with the USA and UK. the tail grows to wag the dog. The town is so big and wealthy the rest of the nation just becomes dominated by it.
I see it as a 'libertarian republic' where groups from all over are welcome.
Anyway that is my idea. Tommorow I'll Pm you with some ideas.
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

Vandren

Quote from: bishrook aka fate sisters on July 08, 2005, 12:46:54 AM
Why do I suggest this...basicly every peice of territory in the world is clamed by somebody and nations are damn jelaous of giving it up...OTOH a number of nations have set upareas for econimic develoupment where their usual laws don't apply. (china for example)

One reason I decided on an island in international waters.  There are quite a few uncharted and whatnot islands.  Plus, it's a fictional Earth, so some tweaking of reality's fine by me.  :)  Additionally, like much of, say, Key West, the island could've been barren marsh land that no one wants until developers came in.  It's also why I went with Depression era foundation.  Besides which, there are plenty of small Caribbean islands owned by multi-millionaires/billionaires or companies (check out VH1's series on celebrity retreats).

QuoteSo it no biggie for me but for me it sounds more plausable and doesn't reguire all the influance with the USA and UK.

This I put in because it fits the character I developed as an owner.  Also because of dealing with various supernatural beings.  And finally, because it makes sense, IMO, based on looking at various real world incidents - Heidi Fleiss, for example - of individuals in the extra-legal business keeping info on anyone and everyone who is a client.  I can't really see a "Freetown" that's part of a major, or minor, government allowing half the stuff that this city would allow.  (Yes, I realize that Singapore does to some extent, but even there some serious limits exist.)  Plausible deniability goes out the window quickly and there're scores of layers of low paid bureaucracy who aren't receiving kick-backs from which whistle blowers can leap up.  Whereas, in an independent island, the only bureaucracy has a vested interest in the continuation of the island.

Oh, and by better name, I meant something like "Haven: _______" as I'd like to keep the name of the city and use it in the title, though I'm open to other titles w/o it.

This was my write up ( Ichanged Freetown into Haven in this copy)
Haven is an artificial island near the Bermuda triangle built by some billionaires and  the secret races It is a special economic zone of the small island republic of Creole. Creole’s leader Papa Don, having looted and mismanaged Creole to abject poverty, sold the area to the group with a charter in 1995 for a lump sum and a cut of each years profits.
The Island is a area of raw unregulated capitalism. it has flourished and grown rich. This wealth has allowed to create it own ‘security force that is now the largest force both in Creole and among the other small nations of the area. In 2000 with the death of Papa Don Haven installed his son Baby Don in power and he in turn made all of Havens residents citizens of Creole. Thi=u s the tail became larger than the dog.
But the sponsors of Haven were more than ruthless capitalists. They were the heads of the what we call the the secret races. Three such races established Haven: The Vampires, The Werefolk and the Fea. Since them a number of other races and groups have sought and received refuge in Haven
Haven has few regulations and laws beyond the control of street crime,murder and theft. The various groups are allowed to compete violently with each other as long as they don’t disrupt the Islands reputation as a clean safe place to visit or work.
Each oligarchs and organizations has it own security force and the black rose security group protects those who can’t protect themselves.
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

Vandren

Here's what I worked up over the last couple days (among other things, like species descriptions and place descriptions):

Haven is located on an island off the US’s eastern coast, about ½ mile into international waters.  The whole island is policed by Black Rose security, though there are very few rules/laws – all laws regard theft and murder (however, bribery can get one a long way in terms of murder), some other violent crimes are frowned upon, but there aren’t laws against them per se.  Drugs are all legal, or at least aren’t illegal, the same is true of firearms, prostitution and gambling.  Even slavery, while not officially sanctioned, is facilitated on the island.  The island is about 20 miles by 30 miles, located near the Bermuda Triangle.  Occasionally weird stuff washes ashore out of the Triangle.  The island’s permanent population is somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000, with a transient populace (day visitors to year long visitors) of more than 2,500 at any given time.

Basically anything goes so long as it doesn’t draw the attention of the international mortal community.  It is a favourite vacation spot among wealthy single men and women, especially those with unusual tastes, and for those who enjoy exploring new things in most aspects of their lives.

The island was bought by the Black Rose’s founders around 1929 and used as a base for rum runners for years while the partners built up enough funds to start building the city.  The island has a small airport capable of handling private jets, a harbor large enough for speedboats and small yachts, and a heliport for those so inclined.  Otherwise, the island is inaccessible (no roads go there, though there are roads on the island).

Vandren

Editted version:

Haven is located on an island, San Mateo, off the US’s eastern coast, about ½ mile into international waters.  The whole city is policed by Black Rose security, though there are very few rules/laws – all laws regard theft and murder (bribery can get one a long way in terms of murder, though), some other violent crimes are frowned upon, but there aren’t laws against them per se.  Drugs are all legal, or at least aren’t illegal, the same is true of firearms, prostitution and gambling.  Even slavery, while not officially sanctioned, is facilitated in the city.  The island is about 20 miles by 30 miles, located near the Bermuda Triangle.  Occasionally weird stuff washes ashore out of the triangle.  The island’s permanent population is somewhere between 30,000 and 40,000, with a transient populace (day visitors to year long visitors) of more than 35,000 at any given time.  (More land area than the island Dominica, with the same populace as of 1986.)

Basically anything goes so long as it doesn’t draw the attention of the international mortal community.  It is a favourite vacation spot among wealthy single men and women, especially those with unusual tastes, and for those who enjoy exploring new things in most aspects of their lives.

The city was practically run by the Black Rose’s founders around 1929 and used as a base for rum runners for years.  The island has a small airport capable of handling private jets, a harbor large enough for speedboats and small yachts, and a heliport for those so inclined.  Otherwise, the island is inaccessible (no roads go there, though there are roads on the island).  Technically, San Mateo is a republic run via an electorate, but the same man has been president for the last seventeen years, thanks in part to the backing of Haven’s citizens.

Vandren

Ok, the board's up, and I'm getting IC threads ready, so we can start taking players at any time.  :)

Vandren

We can still use players and characters of both genders.  :)

The game offers a huge variaty of character concept both from the WOD  style and the super hero realm. We are open to ither concepts a well but would to avoid overused concepts
Pllot themes can also be different. We encorage even favor sub plots, We are working on at least two plot line right now that wehope allow players to jump into.
The game at this oint is entorely new with only a small backstory so it is easy toget into.
Come and join us...Jump in the water is warm
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

Vandren

Still looking for more players and characters.  We have a few plotlines in the works, but need more people to get them started.

Vandren

Definitely need more players, c'mon down and check out the supernatural nightclub.  :)

Vandren

We could definitely use more players.  Vampires, Werecritters, Fae, Mages, Normals . . .