Defenders of Humanity, Harbingers of Oblivion

Started by The Great Triangle, June 03, 2008, 08:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Videospirit

The plot to this one seems interesting I suppose.

Is the reason it's in extreme just because of the extreme violence?

There's a few routes I could take... Mystic Martial Artist, Wire user, Guy with a Really Big Gun, Remote Control Robots User

GrinningHound

QuoteI kind of think that the illusions will be ineffective for both myself and Elohim though...

Can they think and perceive their surroundings?  If so, they are subject to illusions.

Shadowz

Quote from: GrinningHound on June 03, 2008, 09:53:22 PM
Can they think and perceive their surroundings?  If so, they are subject to illusions.

Corrine is a highly adept psychic vampire who is eternally bound to the flowing life stream of the planet... she would be able to see beyond illusions as well as register anything that contains a flicker of soul energy... and who is also bound to an ancient Mayan goddess

Elohim is a mechanical weapon of the divine... and would be immune to suggestion

Edit: Elohim is a sexy ass mechanical weapon of the divine *grins*

Dragoondawg25

Quote from: Videospirit on June 03, 2008, 09:48:48 PM
The plot to this one seems interesting I suppose.

Is the reason it's in extreme just because of the extreme violence?

There's a few routes I could take... Mystic Martial Artist, Wire user, Guy with a Really Big Gun, Remote Control Robots User

its in the extreme for the nature of the game can go to the gory side of things, and any one of those would work thou we do have the guy with the really big gun already taken in the game, any of the others are welcome.  I would just need a character sheet to approve by.
Heterosexual Switch: Humor DLC included
My Discord: Dragoondawg2582
Ons & Offs

The Great Triangle

I believe they're sense data illusions, rather than psychic illusions.

Epistimologically, they exist as sense perceptions, and create all of the sense information that normal things do.  By creating very realistic tactile sensations, they overload one's cognitive matrix, thereby enabling them to affect any sentient being.  (note that that is sentient, not sapient.  A self aware computer is sapient but not sentient, while a very realistic android is sentient but not sapient.)

Scientifically, they consist of light, heat, and sonic vibrations tuned to cunning frequencies, stimulating anyone that can perceive.  Therefore, a bond to the planet soul would only discipline one to survive the pain caused by the illusions more easily, while being an android might enable one to disable their senses to escape the illusions.

Fundamentally, beware my handwave of DOOOOOOOM!!
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Elohim

Quote from: Shadowz on June 03, 2008, 09:56:59 PM
Corrine is a highly adept psychic vampire who is eternally bound to the flowing life stream of the planet... she would be able to see beyond illusions as well as register anything that contains a flicker of soul energy... and who is also bound to an ancient Mayan goddess

Elohim is a mechanical weapon of the divine... and would be immune to suggestion

Edit: Elohim is a sexy ass mechanical weapon of the divine *grins*

*Licks finger touches rump,  followed by a sizzle.*

Thank you babe...

Shadowz

Quote from: Great Triangle on June 03, 2008, 10:02:35 PM
I believe they're sense data illusions, rather than psychic illusions.

Epistimologically, they exist as sense perceptions, and create all of the sense information that normal things do.  By creating very realistic tactile sensations, they overload one's cognitive matrix, thereby enabling them to affect any sentient being.  (note that that is sentient, not sapient.  A self aware computer is sapient but not sentient, while a very realistic android is sentient but not sapient.)

Scientifically, they consist of light, heat, and sonic vibrations tuned to cunning frequencies, stimulating anyone that can perceive.  Therefore, a bond to the planet soul would only discipline one to survive the pain caused by the illusions more easily, while being an android might enable one to disable their senses to escape the illusions.

Fundamentally, beware my handwave of DOOOOOOOM!!

..erm... but if they contain no wisp of soul energy, which Cozza can sense easily, she would regard them as suspicious and likely unreal... and her binding to the planet doesn't save her from pain, rather its the greatest cause of pain to her...

beware my drunken Aussie Logic of doom.....!

The Great Triangle

Hounds illusions seemed to be based on D&D illusions, and I realized my explanation  was essentially a very specialized psychic power.  (Or more likely, a power devised to save a psychic the pain of actually realizing he was using his powers to hurt people.)

D&D illusions don't carry the mind affecting trait, so they affect creatures without brains.  Perception increasing abilities, like planet sparks, do work against D&D illusions however. 

Of course, if the artist is capable of creating weapons from sculptures, then his illusions would have much less narrative protection.

Rule 3: Never nullify a character's only skill without a good reason.   :)

Ons and Offs

GrinningHound

Illusions don't just have to hurt.  They are, in fact, more useful as trickery.

It's the real things they hide, that hurt. ;D  Or don't hide, depending on just how crafty the illusionist is.

"Bah, those must all be fake, I can ignore them."

"Most of them!"

"Oh..."  *looks down at the cannon hole in their chest.*

And who's to say someone so wily couldn't replicate the soul energy? ;D

Videospirit

A bond with the planet would allow one to know that any illusions of living things are not alive as well, but I doubt it would do much against a perfect illusionary fire yeah.

Although if an illusionist could see soul energy themselves, they could replicate that too.

Although a non psychological illusion that replicates all senses is kind of wonky, since it's basically indistinguishable from a real thing, aside from the lack of actual force, and makes my mind go absolutely nuts thinking about how it could possibly work as a standalone entity. Targeted Sensory Stimulation on the other hand is easy enough to believe, and is probably more useful too since you wouldn't make your team mates see the illusion as well. Well... unless you wanted them to.

A toss between wire user and martial artist for me than I guess... Although a weapons junky was my top choice. I'll have to consider it a bit... Got a lot of stuff to think about

In regards to D&D Illusions.

Because figments and glamers (see below) are unreal, they cannot produce real effects the way that other types of illusions can. They cannot cause damage to objects or creatures, support weight, provide nutrition, or provide protection from the elements. Consequently, these spells are useful for confounding or delaying foes, but useless for attacking them directly.

The only illusions that can produce real effects are mind affecting or shadow(partially real).

The Great Triangle

I think we could fit in another supercommando, but possibly more along the lines of sniper or pistol duelist rather than vulcan raven. 

Ons and Offs

Dragoondawg25

Grinninghound here is the reason i dont think that illusions would work well, especially against the brood, as they are the elite of the elite, and an illusion would have to be something that they could believe in, and these creatures arent easily manipulated, now an ability to draw reality would be something interesting, the magic pen of doom, that which can be sort of like the Green lantern ring made into a pen.

Heterosexual Switch: Humor DLC included
My Discord: Dragoondawg2582
Ons & Offs

GrinningHound

Though illusions can't exert any force, they can still confound, especially inanimate illusions.

The illusion of a forest or a snowstorm obscures vision just as much as a forest.  Also, mix illusions in with the 'real' effects from his magic drawings, and you get one hell or a strategist and manipulator.

What about a walking 'battery'.  Just...ridiculous gunnery, the ability to overload electronics and paralyze and fry living opponents with electrical surges.

Is there a mecha pilot with a particularly awesome mecha?

The Great Triangle

No, but we really need one!

Although he might want to consider having the mecha be an iron man suit piloting a mecha so he can go between power levels.

For the really crazy situations, he could have a mecha for his mecha to pilot. 

Ons and Offs

Videospirit

Quote from: Great Triangle on June 03, 2008, 11:48:05 PM
No, but we really need one!

Although he might want to consider having the mecha be an iron man suit piloting a mecha so he can go between power levels.

And I'll form the head!

I'd be up for one of the pilots of a combinable mecha :)

GrinningHound

Being 'one of' a combinable mecha doesn't really appeal to me.  I like to be unique.

I do like the idea of having like an Iron Man suit (his walking battery) that jacks in to his mecha when he needs to pilot it for some really huge firepower.

The Great Triangle

Different types of mecha can work pretty well toghether, so you could always have the powersuit guy who has a powersuit for his powersuit and the emo kid piloting the barely controlled genetically engineered horror.  Other good types of mecha include macross style jets that can transform into humanoid shape for close combat or space combat, and the classic battletech "fusion powered walking fortress" sort of killing machine.

Point is, there's lots of options out there for prospective mecha pilots!   :)

Ons and Offs

Ajoxer

Hmmm...

How about nightmares? There's no fun for them if they don't have humans anymore, I imagine one of them might be interested in helping the humans. Of course, he'd be a little limited in direct combat, because people rarely fight in their sleep...

But then, there's always possession. Wink wink.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Elohim

The Great Triangle

Given how evangelical the brood of the Abyss tends to be, they'll probably convert a fair number of the new DPDS recruits to their side after a while.

As for a nightmare monster, it might work fairly well, but he'll pretty much be limited to affecting extras unless he has his own thread where he engages in psychopomp against his enemies.  (probably doing very little harm, but fleshing out characters and sowing doubts.)

Currently, the setting of the game has tended more towards super alchemy and magic rather than super science, although that doesn't mean that super science powered characters can't appear in the game. 

Ons and Offs

Shadowz

Quote from: Seraph on June 04, 2008, 10:08:51 AM
We're starting to be outnumbered here...

So it seems.... but, i think we are still OK.... at the very least we can

*whispers something to Elohim and grins*

Elohim

*Blushes*  That sounds fun,  but is it really a tactical advantage?

Shadowz

*glances across your sexy ass* More of a tactile advantage i would say

The Great Triangle

Ah, Shoujo Ai, a power that deflects even high explosive artillery shells...

I wonder if the DPDS was actually insane enough to build other combat androids...

So far we've got a flesh golem and an iron golem, so that still leaves a stone golem and a clay golem.  With any luck, they would be more likely to think for themselves and not go rogue just because of a computer virus and a psychic vampire they happen to fall in love with.  On the other hand, those heavy materials are ponderous, and who knows what actually happened to Issac Newton's golem of doom?

Ons and Offs

jisko888

Quote from: Great Triangle on June 03, 2008, 11:48:05 PM

Tengen-Toppa Gurren-Lagann

I think in the end the had 5 mechs inside eachother.

P.S. and Kyle is so getting himself a gundam too, or maybe just carry around one of its guns.