The Children of Mother Earth (open recruitment)

Started by mj2002, July 31, 2013, 05:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj2002

At this moment, this scenario has passed the initial recruitment phase and is about to start. If you still want to participate, please post your character sheets. Feel free to include any information you like. Pictures are not required, but encouraged. Playing multiple characters is allowed/ encouraged! Please make sure to include at least the following information;

Name1:
Role2:

Background:
Personality:

Information about sexual preferences (orientation, ons and offs) are not specifically required.

1) Danish/Scandavian for Thule inhabitants, Germanic for Badeners
2) If a role is available by request, please discuss it with me first

TLDR

This roleplay consists of two civilizations/factions in a rather unique post-apocalyptic world that meet each other for the first time.

First, there is island of Thule (Greenland). This pacified communist/ultra-feminist society worships Mother Earth, remains without advanced technology and is ruled solely by women. Men are barred from having any sort of important leadership position, weapons are strictly forbidden, violence is shunned. The utopian society is extraordinarily peaceful, crime is virtually non-existent and life is comfortable.

Secondly, the Great Baden Empire is an imperialistic nation that rose from the ashes of former Europe. It is ruled by dictator and has advanced its technology to the early industrial age. Hungry for expansion and with a dwindling supply of raw materials, the Badeners send out expedition ships across the oceans.

You might see where this is going already. The idea is to let this roleplay start just before one of the expedition ships reaches the island of Thule. How will the people from either side react to the cultural shock?

General Information

* Participants are encouraged to play multiple characters, though preferably not too closely related to each other.

* Participants are expected to be able to reply at least three times per week, in posts of a reasonable size. If you feel you are unable to keep up with the posting frequency or don't have time enough to post in the coming weeks, please look elsewhere.

* I am planning to put this in the Human/NC section of the forums. While not specifically planned, the nature of this plot is somewhat inviting to NC scenes and as such I would like to give people the freedom to roleplay this.

* For those interested, I am looking to receive help organizing this roleplay from a Co-GM. If you're interested in this, please do let me know!

* Those who read this thread and know (without looking it up) where I took this idea from, you receive 10 internet points! Congratulations.

Characters

Island of Thule (min 4, no maximum)
Inhabitants of Thule are both female and male, though the organizational structure of the country is entirely dominated by women. Exceptions are male members of the 'royal' family that sometimes hold somewhat important or honorary positions, and the Rangers. The people are almost exclusively kind spirited, have Scandinavian/Danish-like names and features. People wear clothing that would fit in either ancient Greece, the Roman Empire, or Medieval Europe.

* The Queen - Freya
* The Queen's son - Axel
* Member(s) of the Queen's immediate family (male or female) - available (females, can be next in line. male, uncles, nephews, etc)
* Julianhab Harbormistress - Agnete De Vann
* Inn Owner - Anika
* Female(s) in other leadership position (mayor/harbormaster/etc) - available
* Rangers - available (30s-50s male, experienced trackers and guardians of the wildlife)
* Common people (male or female) - Sigrid, unlimited (possible girlfriend of the Queen's son?)

The Baden Empire's Expeditionary Force (min 4, max 8)
All members (male only) of the expedition are navy/military trained, except for the scientist. They are used to a male dominated society (dictatorship) that is opportunistic and eager to discover new lands. They will most likely have Germanic sounding names and similar statures/physical features. The technology level can be compared with Europe around 1780-1840. Firearms, steam power and electricity have been discovered. Outfits of the people aboard the exploration ship Badenfelder are likely to range from military/naval uniforms from Europe between 1750-1950, with exception of the civilians on board. Whilst most of these men are military, this is not an invasion expedition.

* Expedition Commander/Captain of the Badenfelder - Anders Mueller
* Quartermaster - available
* Scientist - Conrad von Sydow (only one who can talk to the other faction on a reasonable level, because of the language barrier)
* Marines - available, Max Braun
* Diplomat - Baldur Arwin, Hanz von Nassau
* Other roles - available by request (junior scientist, diplomat, whatever else you can come up with)

Story Information

If anything isn't clear to you or you wish to have something elaborated on, please please please just ask! I'll do my best to clarify!

The Island of Thule

The geography of Thule represents Greenland, but with a much more better climate. There's plenty of wildlife, up the occasional bear in the woods in the center of the island. Civilization is mostly limited to the coastline, save for a few villages in land. The capital is the Western city of Gothab (bit difficult to see on the map). The ruling family's summer palace is located on a small island on the East coast, next to the Vastman fishing village. The expedition ship will most likely arrive in the Southern port town of Julianhab.

Map of Thule

The Rangers

The hunters are referred to as Rangers. They're a group of trusted men who are the only men allowed to arm themselves. They look after the wildlife and chase after creatures who form a great threat to society. Even then, they'll still attempt to subdue the animals rather than kill them. They're armed with tranquilizer guns, spears, machetes, bows, nets, etc. They're employed by the national authority, well paid and extremely well respected by the general population. They're the keepers of the wildlife basically.

Technology

The steam engine was invented in Thule 2 centuries prior to our storyline, but banned by the then reigning 'Queen', since it was found to be unhealthy and it consumed a lot of fuel (wood/coal/etc). As such, the main source of power (not electricity) comes from windmills and watermills. This development is somewhat natural in my understanding and the ban isn't explicitly enforced because there's no one breaking these rules. Basically, the women in charge make sure it doesn't happen, which means it doesn't happen.

Justice

There are 'guards' but they're basically the women who are otherwise already in authoritarian positions. They are allowed to carry tranquilizer pistols (I can't believe I forgot these, they're quite important) and can disable people who decide to break the law. As for punishments, the island doesn't know any prisoners, prisons jails or anything of that kind. Anyone who has been found breaking the laws of the island is branded/tattooed on the forehead/face. Depending on the severity of their crime, they have different colors;

- red (for poaching, doesn't come off for at least 3 years)
- green (mistreating nature, disappears within a few months)
- purple (assault, etc 4 years)
- black (murder, 7 years)

As such, anyone branded cannot avoid being seen as a criminal. Women (or men) won't look at you any more if you're branded, you get all the dirty/annoying/difficult jobs that need to be done and in the case of a black stamp, the society will push you out (and take away any children you may have). Being shunned by the rest of society for several years is considered a harsh punishment.

Economy

Thule is a self sufficient island with a Communistic economic system where every individual is free to move around, but is expected to do work in return for food and housing. Specific activities depend location and geography. Fishing, farming and basic workshops are prevalent throughout the island. Mining activity is limited but allowed in certain areas (referred to as "Mijnenstreek" on the map). Basic needs such as food, housing, clothing, etc are provided by the community. Shops are somewhat scarce and provide more specific goods or luxuries.

Language

Thule has its own language, which isn't really based on any real language. Thule trades with the nearby nation of Kanada and as such some people speak Kanadian, which is closely related to English (refered to as British). The Badeners speak a language related to German and some of them know British due to the proximity of the The Baden Empire to the British Islands. Both of these nations are unknown to the people of Thule.
What's the level of both countries' a) medical knowledge and b) medical technology?

Thule's knowledge is fairly limited. It can come as no surprise that they prefer  to use natural medicine of anything else. There is no chemical industry and as such there is no production of synthetic medicine as such. I imagine that there will be people who specify in the arts of healing. There will be small clinics, but that's it.

The Badeners' knowledge will be a little more advanced, mostly out of necessity. They would have hospitals and the beginnings of a chemical industry which allows for some basic medicine production. They don't however have a medical expert or a doctor on board, yet. This may change depending on future character applications. At least one of the men will have some basic first aid knowledge though.

Comparing the Baden Empire with Thule will show that the Badeners are more advanced when it comes to medical knowledge. Comparing the expeditionary force with the island though, it would be more even. Traditional and preventative medicine used by the people of Thule might even be more effective overall.

What's the level of their plumbing - do they have indoor or outdoor toilets? (Weird question I know, thought it would give me a feel for the setting though :P)

Both indoors and outdoors. They have running water.

How much do they know about the world pre-apocalypse? E.g. do they know that the Internet existed?

All the knowledge they have comes from maps and ancient stories. I am going to go ahead and assume that there's no knowledge of the internet at all and whilst the Badaners may have maps, their knowledge remains limited to what they have discovered. As for the people of Thule, theirs is even more limited. Much of this can be attributed to their lack of interest though. They have nearby trading partners, but otherwise they like where they are. They realize that there are probably other peoples around the globe, but direct proof is only available for the country of Kanada and America.

How big is the Baden Empire? Do we know what countries it covers?

It's quite expansive, but not just as large as the Roman Empire. For current Europe, you can assume it covers Western Europe consisting of the current countries of Germany, France, Benelux extending further towards the East as well. Further South and the climate becomes uncomfortably cold. For instance, the Mediterranean is covered in ice.

Do we know how the apocalypse came about and what happened?

Knowledge of the events has become more of a myth as it happened many centuries ago. What is common knowledge though is that a World War took place. A rather sizable explosion (nuclear, but that technology is too advanced for either side to understand) caused the Earth's median to shift which in turn dramatically changed the climate.

eiselmann

Interested

Would prefer to play a member of the Baden Empire

Perhaps a Political Officer and just to make him even more of a pain, a relative (like 2nd cousin or maybe wifes nephew) of the Dictator

If that wouldn't work happy to be a Marine.
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

mj2002

Quote from: eiselmann on July 31, 2013, 06:04:08 AM

Perhaps a Political Officer and just to make him even more of a pain, a relative (like 2nd cousin or maybe wifes nephew) of the Dictator

This is a very interesting concept! Whilst some of the expedition members might be enticed by the alternative society, there's a political officer on board to make sure the doctrine stays firmly ingrained.

Scribbles

Love the idea!

If possible I'd like to submit a princess. It would give me the opportunity to revive a character from a past RP, one which died all too suddenly.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

MadJackal

Interested, but I'm a bit disappointed to see there's no female in the Baden empire's crew :-(

Doomglazer

mj2002

Quote from: Scribbles on July 31, 2013, 07:11:40 AM
Love the idea!

If possible I'd like to submit a princess. It would give me the opportunity to revive a character from a past RP, one which died all too suddenly.
This is possible, though in the current situation only a Queen's sister would be next in line. Other 'princesses' could be part of the ruling family as well though. I'm not really liking the Queen and Princess title for this roleplay, that is likely to be changed. That implies a sense of royalty which isn't really what I am aiming for. The inhabitants of Thule have respect for their ruling family, but they're not a royal family that lives in castles with big walls away from the peasants. I am particularly  happy that you're interested in this roleplay though!

Quote from: MadJackal on July 31, 2013, 07:20:36 AM
Interested, but I'm a bit disappointed to see there's no female in the Baden empire's crew :-(
I understand the disappointment, but that would mess up the dynamics of the story. In some respect, this is a gender conflict story alongside the cultural conflict story. In the future, we might expand the story to include happenings in the Baden Empire itself and if all somehow goes extraordinarily successful, there is a chance for additional expeditions being sent out. Those could have women on board as well. At this time though, we're still in the 'women on board are bad luck' phase, so the crew is male only.

Quote from: Doomglazer on July 31, 2013, 07:46:13 AM
Would love to play a Baden Marine
Excellent!

Scribbles

Quote from: mj2002 on July 31, 2013, 08:02:20 AM
This is possible, though in the current situation only a Queen's sister would be next in line. Other 'princesses' could be part of the ruling family as well though. I'm not really liking the Queen and Princess title for this roleplay, that is likely to be changed. That implies a sense of royalty which isn't really what I am aiming for. The inhabitants of Thule have respect for their ruling family, but they're not a royal family that lives in castles with big walls away from the peasants. I am particularly  happy that you're interested in this roleplay though!

What type of fashion are you leaning towards, for Thule in general?

Also, how about a recently anointed captain of the guard, or something similar?
AA and OO

mj2002

Quote from: Scribbles on July 31, 2013, 08:07:12 AM
Out of curiosity, what type of fashion are you leaning towards, for Thule in general?

Also, how about a recently anointed captain of the guard, or something similar?
I'm sorry, I probably need to elaborate a bit more on this. I have the entire setting in my head, but you can't read that of course. There are no such things as guards. Guards imply weapons and that's not something that is available on Thule, other than for a select group of hunters that keep the wildlife in check. It is completely pacified.

Think of ancient Greece and the Roman Empire for the fashion of those living in Thule. This is the cover of the book where I got this setting from;

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Scribbles

Quote from: mj2002 on July 31, 2013, 08:13:29 AM
I'm sorry, I probably need to elaborate a bit more on this. I have the entire setting in my head, but you can't read that of course. There are no such things as guards. Guards imply weapons and that's not something that is available on Thule, other than for a select group of hunters that keep the wildlife in check. It is completely pacified.

Darn, there goes my dream of creating "that" character which is always close by preaching mistrust and death to the interlopers.

QuoteThink of ancient Greece and the Roman Empire for the fashion of those living in Thule. This is the cover of the book where I got this setting from;

Oooo, I like!

As for a character, I guess I'll try out for the queen's spot or any other spot which might have a more practical application during the RP. I'll wait for you to flesh out the culture's details.
AA and OO

mj2002

Quote from: Scribbles on July 31, 2013, 08:33:48 AM
Darn, there goes my dream of creating "that" character which is always close by preaching mistrust and death to the interlopers.
Whilst the island might be pacified, it doesn't mean that everyone is extremely happy with the arrival of the expedition. There is room for dissent, objections, maybe even sabotage, though violence is harshly punished (by their standards). There could be those that want to expel the explorers, or even bar them from ever leaving again in order to keep their island safe.

The cultures details are fairly fleshed out already, there just not written down because I don't have them all together in my head. Feel free to inquire about it, so that I may expand on the important issues!

IrishWolf

Well this is interesting and I know I have a pair of Jackboots tucked into my closet for just such a situation. I'm down for either an senior enlisted or junior officer of some sort.

Now I do have a suggestion, rather then steam punkish Nazis, could the Great Baden Empire but instead a reborn Prussia?

Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state, Voltaire

Still have extreme militarist society, with strong currents of their race being superior but with the benefits of much cooler uniforms!

mj2002

Quote from: IrishWolf on July 31, 2013, 08:47:01 AM
Well this is interesting and I know I have a pair of Jackboots tucked into my closet for just such a situation. I'm down for either an senior enlisted or junior officer of some sort.

Now I do have a suggestion, rather then steam punkish Nazis, could the Great Baden Empire but instead a reborn Prussia?

Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state, Voltaire

Still have extreme militarist society, with strong currents of their race being superior but with the benefits of much cooler uniforms!

Hi there, I am very happy to see that you're interested in this roleplay. If you're interested in it, then I must be doing something right! I must admit I am a bit set on the steam powered Baden Empire. I appreciate the input, but the entire vision that I have includes the steam powered ships, simple firearms, grey uniforms and military dictatorship. It doesn't make too much sense if the uniforms are so colored. The color for the Baden Empire is grey as are their steel ships.

DarkEnigma

Possible sketch for soldiers?

Slightly pondering on taking the role of chief scientist…. Some blend of Introvert brilliance meets mental instability with a dash of extravagance.

IrishWolf

Quote from: mj2002 on July 31, 2013, 09:10:46 AM
Hi there, I am very happy to see that you're interested in this roleplay. If you're interested in it, then I must be doing something right! I must admit I am a bit set on the steam powered Baden Empire. I appreciate the input, but the entire vision that I have includes the steam powered ships, simple firearms, grey uniforms and military dictatorship. It doesn't make too much sense if the uniforms are so colored. The color for the Baden Empire is grey as are their steel ships.

Oh I never meant to imply that the steam punk elements should be dropped. It was more of a jab at the Empire being described as Nazis (but steam punk!). I mean, everyone who wants to created an "evil empire" goes to the default Nazis (but this!) route. I think it's a little more fun to jump on other forms of German Military Governments myself, heeheehee. Implying that this faction in a work of fiction are Nazis, at least in my experience, is a bland way of letting the "bad guys" act like dicks, for the sake of them being unlikeable dicks. On the other hand, implying Prussian, implies such characters are proud, militaristic, aristocratic, have some code of honor but most of all, professional soldiers. 

As to the color, well colors make just as much sense as grey, in a combat sense. Grey really wouldn't blend in except against stone of that shade or in a very modern city. Plus, in a personal way I suppose, I find the colored Prussian uniforms to be many times more impressive then a grey uniform. I would be much more in awe of men in black boots, dark or light blue uniforms with red or gold trim and tassels, wearing black leather helmets emblazon with a coat of arms in gold. At least for me, watching men parade passed in a bold uniform would stirred my heart greater then grey, make me want to follow their banners or at least work very hard to support that.

Plus I love the look of the uniforms of the British, French, Prussians and Russians of the mid to late 1800s.

But in the end, its all up to you and I'm game whether or not any of my suggestions take effect.

mj2002

Quote from: IrishWolf on July 31, 2013, 11:01:02 AM
Oh I never meant to imply that the steam punk elements should be dropped. It was more of a jab at the Empire being described as Nazis (but steam punk!). I mean, everyone who wants to created an "evil empire" goes to the default Nazis (but this!) route. I think it's a little more fun to jump on other forms of German Military Governments myself, heeheehee. Implying that this faction in a work of fiction are Nazis, at least in my experience, is a bland way of letting the "bad guys" act like dicks, for the sake of them being unlikeable dicks. On the other hand, implying Prussian, implies such characters are proud, militaristic, aristocratic, have some code of honor but most of all, professional soldiers. 

As to the color, well colors make just as much sense as grey, in a combat sense. Grey really wouldn't blend in except against stone of that shade or in a very modern city. Plus, in a personal way I suppose, I find the colored Prussian uniforms to be many times more impressive then a grey uniform. I would be much more in awe of men in black boots, dark or light blue uniforms with red or gold trim and tassels, wearing black leather helmets emblazon with a coat of arms in gold. At least for me, watching men parade passed in a bold uniform would stirred my heart greater then grey, make me want to follow their banners or at least work very hard to support that.

Plus I love the look of the uniforms of the British, French, Prussians and Russians of the mid to late 1800s.

But in the end, its all up to you and I'm game whether or not any of my suggestions take effect.
I get what you're saying. The Badeners aren't necessarily unlikable dicks though. I probably should not have mentioned Nazi's at all, it was just a reference. The uniforms aren't really an important factor, I'm just going by the original on this. If people want something different, then I don't see a problem with that.

Flassche, that looks quite fun, but it's they don't look all that outlandish. It isn't steam punk in the sense of advancing technology, in my vision it is more historically accurate. So just older.

mj2002

I'm not sure if there is enough interest to advance at this time. Are there any others interested? I don't think this can really work if there aren't at least 8-10 characters. As stated in the OP, multiple characters per participant are welcome.

MagicalPen

I could be interested in playing the 'Prince' in this. Quite like the idea of a 'Utopian' society that has some major gender issues ;)

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

mj2002

This still needs a few more before we start, especially characters on Thule island. An expedition commander hasn't yet applied either, I think. If we have 3-4 more, we can make this happen!

Sanai

This looks fascinating. I could go in for the Queens son? Otherwise a Marine or something?
What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.

mj2002

Quote from: Sanai on August 01, 2013, 09:26:32 AM
This looks fascinating. I could go in for the Queens son? Otherwise a Marine or something?
I received some more personal messages and along with your post, I think there is enough interest to get recruitment started.

I'll be updating the first post (or make a new one, I haven't decided yet) with the definitive character slots and additional background information. On that last issue, please please please ask for clarification if something is not entirely clear. I have most of this worked out in my head, but there's not enough written down yet. Please ask so we can flesh things out!

Any others who wish to express there interest are still welcome to do so. Either side has room for more!

Sanai

A few questions-
What kind of status do the hunters have in society? Are they shunned because of the violent nature of their work? Do they live with the other people or do they live somewhat apart? Is there some kind of requirement they must fulfill before being trusted with their weapons?

Secondly, how are the rules against violence and technological advancement enforced? Is there some kind of formal group who keep an eye on those things, pass judgement and enforce punishment (like police) or is it an informal/cultural arrangement where it just sort of happens automatically when someone does something wrong?
What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.

mj2002

Quote from: Sanai on August 01, 2013, 09:58:09 AM
A few questions-
What kind of status do the hunters have in society? Are they shunned because of the violent nature of their work? Do they live with the other people or do they live somewhat apart? Is there some kind of requirement they must fulfill before being trusted with their weapons?
I had to look this up actually. The hunters are referred to as Rangers. They're a group of trusted men who are the only men allowed to arm themselves. They look after the wildlife and chase after creatures who form a great threat to society. Even then, they'll still attempt to subdue the animals rather than kill them. They're armed with tranquilizer guns, spears, machetes, bows, nets, etc. They're employed by the national authority, well paid and extremely well respected by the general population. They're the keepers of the wildlife basically.

Quote from: Sanai on August 01, 2013, 09:58:09 AM
Secondly, how are the rules against violence and technological advancement enforced? Is there some kind of formal group who keep an eye on those things, pass judgement and enforce punishment (like police) or is it an informal/cultural arrangement where it just sort of happens automatically when someone does something wrong?

It's not really enforced as such. This too I had to look up ^^. The steam engine was invented in Thule 2 centuries prior to our storyline, but banned by the then reigning 'Queen', since it was found to be unhealthy and it consumed a lot of fuel (wood/coal/etc). As such, the main source of power (not electricity) comes from windmills and watermills. This development is somewhat natural in my understanding and the ban isn't explicitly enforced because there's no one breaking these rules. Basically, the women in charge make sure it doesn't happen, which means it doesn't happen.

As for the Police, there are 'guards' but they're basically the women who are otherwise already in authoritarian positions. They are allowed to carry tranquilizer pistols (I can't believe I forgot these, they're quite important) and can disable people who decide to break the rules. As for punishments, the island doesn't know any prisoners, jails or anything of that kind. Anyone who has been found breaking the laws of the island is branded/tattooed on the forehead/face. Depending on the severity of their crime, they have different colors;

- red (for poaching, doesn't come off for at least 3 years)
- green (mistreating nature, disappears within a few months)
- purple (assault, 4 years)
- black (murder, 7 years)

As such, anyone branded cannot avoid being seen as a criminal. Women (or men) won't look at you any more if you're branded, you get all the dirty/annoying/difficult jobs that need to be done and in the case of a black stamp, the society will push you out (and take away any children you may have). Being shunned by the rest of society for several years is considered a harsh punishment.

mj2002

I've opened this up for recruitment. I've somewhat updated the first post with additional information, such as a character sheet and some more cultural information. If there's other information you'd like to know more about, please do ask and I'll try to elaborate! Any questions or requests for a certain role, please feel free to ask!

Charlemagne