HP and the half blood prince.

Started by Duncan, July 21, 2009, 07:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan

This is a discusion for the 6th Harry Potter movie.  I went last weekend and watched it.  As a movie by itself it was good I think but since I have read and reread the books I think it could of been better.  Hardly ever followed the book.

Kanrya

Yeah you could tell in the movie exactly where they left off in some places filling in the movie with the romantic stuff although i couldn't really concentrate on the movie fully because two grown women were talking a little too loudly and one kept kicking my seat. I mean seriously if they never read the books or watched the other movies why go to this one? Why ruin the experience for those who know whats going on?

But anyway the movie was good and it touched me when Dumbledore died towards the end that part I believe was better than the book although they could have added the burial in...

Hokum

Having read the books and watched the films up to this point, I was really dissapointed with this film.  It just seemed really long winded and really boring.  From where, I was sitting I would say a lot of the audience felt the same way.  There were a few people asleep by the midway point, including a friend of mine who really enjoyed the other movies.

Seriously dissapointing.  The only plus side is lessens the anticipation of the others that have yet to be released.

Caity

I went to the premiere.  I'm a huge Harry fan, and have read and re-read all the books so many times that I've lost count.  I'm currently reading OotP again. 

I have come to judge the movies and books separately.  I loved the movie.  Did it come close to the book?  No way.  But as a movie, it was great.  But #4 still holds my place as favorite.

Sabby

The movie was alright... lacked a lot of the tenseness and epic feeling. And my favourite part of the book, the Harry chasing Snape scene, sucked hard :(

Tachi

My friend had a pirated copy and we started it several times but it didn't keep anyone's attention so we never got through it. The trashy romance I saw pissed me off and I only tolerated it to see Malfoy cry.

Diabolus Lupus

I liked it, for what it was. the ending was kinda lacking though. I think they could've done more to include the search for the half-blood prince vs. focusing on the romancey stuff.

on a different note, anyone besides me recognize Slughorn?

Serephino

They didn't focus on Harry trying to find out what Draco was up to, and they skipped the Apparation lessons.  That I would've liked to have seen. 

Sabby

Oh well, the game sucked horribly x.x and I liked the one before it.

Inkidu

Whenever you people do that I always think of Hewlett Packard and the Half-Blood Prince. XD
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beguile's Mistress

I've read all the books and have seen the other movies.  I think this last movie was badly done.  Quite a few of the people in the audience seemed to feel the same.  I heard someone say:  "Harry Potter is losing its magic."

Sabby

Finally got around to reading Deathly Hallows. The Polyjuice Potion is really get whored out...

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 02, 2009, 07:48:27 PM
Finally got around to reading Deathly Hallows. The Polyjuice Potion is really get whored out...
Well when it works it works. I think personally that the three unforgivable curses are used a little too much, what about a fourth, not so unforgivable one?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Skye

The books will always be better than the movies, that's just a fact. Although, one thing I do appreciate from each movie are the visual graphics translated from J.K.'s visions. Not many movies involving magic can come off so convincing.

The Half blood Prince wasn't my favorite Harry Potter movie, but I'm glad I saw it!
/two sense
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Diablo

When i saw the movie for a first time i was really disappointed! I was expecting someting epic since this is almost last one.However i hope the seven movie be what i was expecting in the first place for the six one.

Brittany

It is strange.  I went with a friend of mine and she hasn't read any books but seen all the films.  And I have seen and read all of it.

She really enjoyed it and said it was the best movie of them all.  I thought it was the worst.  I think because I knew so much other more important things happened.  I think the half blood prince part of the storyline was really badly done.  It was more like something they just tried to cram into the movie where as it was the focal point of the book.

I was disappointed.  But then they only have so much time.  I think they focused too much on special effects and not enough plot, but then I guess thats what movies are about.

Sabby

If by special effects you mean 'snogging'

Brittany

Quote from: BlackSabbyth on October 31, 2009, 08:13:13 AM
If by special effects you mean 'snogging'

eheheh..

Well I forgive them that because there was quite a bit in the book if I recall.  But yes there was a little too much I felt.

I read somewhere that the new director added in fight scenes and dementor scenes to make the movie look cooler.  It was so long since I read the book that I couldn't remember.  But still, the director should just make the movie like the book.  He took too many liberties I felt, wanting to stamp his mark on it.

Krysia

I personally thought the movie stunk. I spent 20 bucks to go see it in the IMAX for what? All the trailers for 'other' movies to be in 3D and only 10 minutes of the actual movie to be in 3D. I think they shouldn't of hyped it up for only a short time of 3D shit. >.< It would of been nice to see the fights or magic in 3D but it wasn't. Far more disappointing of a movie then I had hoped for.

Sabby

If they bleach Edward Cullins hair and cast him as Draco, Imma guna be pissed...

Leala Magnus

Personally I think the movie was poorly directed in the sense they didn't stay true to the book. My friends and I went to see the movie and nearly half of them have read any of the books, but they have seen all the movies and after this last one the looked at the screen dumbstruck and asked what had happened. I think they did a wonderful job capturing Draco's troubles through the book, but they failed in the department on failing to show Dumbledore's funeral and the backstory of Snape and how he became the Half-Blood Prince. Honestly this was my least favorite HP movie I've ever seen, and I think they are getting worse every year. I think that yes when you direct a movie thats based on the book not every detail can be put into the movie, but come on don't just butcher everything and try to make it work because in the end it won't. They had some great special effects, but the plot was terrible.

MasterMischief

Hollywood has been raping original source for years.  If you expect movies to keep to the book, you are terribly naïve.

I tried to read the first book.  After 50 pages of Rowling telling me (not showing me, mind you) what vile people the Dursleys were, I got sick of it and gave up.  I realize it was meant to be a children's book and it really shows.

I have loved the movies.  And this was my favorite.  Sure, it was not all flashy special effects and chase scenes.  There was some really good character development.  Especially for someone who has not read the book.  I knew Dumbledore was going to get it, so that surprise was ruined.  But I could finally believe Malfroy.  Until now, he has just been a two-dimensional character.  Kind of like Darth Maul.  Oh look, it is the villian, you can tell because he is all in black. 

Sabby

HP stopped being a kids book a while ago dude xD its all part of Rowlings plot to topple the Church. Everyone knows that.

Serephino

Oh yes... she's an agent of the Devil!  She lures you in with an innocent story, then slowly corrupts you!  *tries to keep a straight face.... but can't*

Really though, it does start out as a kids book, but as the series continues it ends up being more suited for teens.  Of course that didn't stop me from loving it.

Oniya

Quote from: Chaotic Angel on November 12, 2009, 08:50:02 PM

Really though, it does start out as a kids book, but as the series continues it ends up being more suited for teens.  Of course that didn't stop me from loving it.

Considering that her 'target audience' was growing older as she was writing them, that might have been intentional.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17