News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup

Started by Nico, June 07, 2010, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

Kudos to Uruguay for their "never say die" work ethic.  I loved how they gave Holland the last-minute scare. XD

Shoshana

Quote from: Remiel on July 06, 2010, 04:15:27 PM
Kudos to Uruguay for their "never say die" work ethic.  I loved how they gave Holland the last-minute scare. XD

Seconded!

But--waaaah!--now that both the U.S. and Uruguay are out, I don't know who to root for.  ???
The door's open but the ride it ain't free.

~Bruce Springsteen

Pixilicious

Be a girl with a mind.  A woman with attitude. A lady with class

Goober

So, Spain or Germany? Defense v. Offense, who will win?! I personally think Spain can frustrate the German offense long enough to find openings...
1. "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."- Oscar Wilde
2. "Men are like steel. when they lose their temper, they lose their worth." :-)
- Chuck Norris
3. "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
4. "A word to the wise isn't necessary."
5. And finally..."I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
- A. J. Liebling

Nico

Quote from: Goober on July 06, 2010, 10:48:40 PM
So, Spain or Germany? Defense v. Offense, who will win?! I personally think Spain can frustrate the German offense long enough to find openings...
I have to agree.  David Villa is damn dangerous with his long distance shots. And, yes, with Iker Casillas, they have a great man in the goal.

But, of course, being 50% German, I do hope for Germany to win tonight. ;D

Stan'

Well, the most deserving team got in to the final.

If Uruguay got through, I would have hoped they'd keep Suarez out of the final because he cheated.  So I'm glad it was the Netherlands that won the game.

Ridcully

Tonight, David Villa will face Manuel Neuer though. Here's a clip from him with saves from one match. This save at 0:37 is IMHO the greatest save ever made by a goalie.

Manuel Neuer - One Man Show vs. Porto

Lithos

Of the current teams, I like Germany a lot more due to the much more innovative and honestly fun looking play style. Only thing I am worried about is how young the guys in German team are in average. Spain is much older and more experienced team, so they might have easier time to focus to such an important game like this. But then again to young, hungry people this sort of chance could just be added motivation.

We will see tonight :)
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Arhys

Thanks Ridcully, I agree the save is awesome.  I'm so glad over Neuer, never could root for Germany while Kahn was keeper.

Beautiful day here today, now just to convince friends that watching the game at the Biergarten *is* kid friendly.

Phobetor

As much as I <3 David Villa...Me thinks Germany is going to win this one.
BUT!...
I've been wrong before! And this World Cup has been anything BUT predictable! lol

But my hope is that the final showdown is between Netherlands and Germany. I'd love to see that!
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Imogen

I kinda like Spain: Villa, Ramos, Iniesta... and yes, Torres, and the others. They have so much individual quality. Where with Germany, I like how they are a -team-. The Manschaft is rocking the world cup and I just don't know who to cheer for.

Same if I look at the chances for the Netherlands in the final. I think they have a better chance against Spain, but OMG The Netherlands - Germany final, that would be epic!!!

I will just watch the game tonight and cheer and grumble for every goal on each side!! Go Spain! Go Germany!!!
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Shoshana

Quote from: Stan' on July 07, 2010, 01:58:21 AM
Well, the most deserving team got in to the final.

If Uruguay got through, I would have hoped they'd keep Suarez out of the final because he cheated.  So I'm glad it was the Netherlands that won the game.

I didn't see that as a cheat. I saw it as Suarez falling on his sword for the greater good of the team--and as the best handball ever! Honestly, the play just made me love Uruguay more. To me, Suarez did what he had to do to prevent the goal. And he took the red card for it, and then had to watch the Black Stars take an immediate penalty kick, which could have ended the game right there despite his sacrifice.

If Suarez had managed the handball without getting caught, I could see it being construed as cheating. (Although I still would have had to salute him, lol.) But if you take your red card and basically just hand the other team a spectacular chance to win anyway, I don't see it as a cheat. He just gave Uruguay a slim chance of hanging on--and it happened to work out for them.

~Bruce Springsteen

Stan'

That's absolutely ridiculous.

That's like saying someone who steals answers to a test isn't cheating because he was caught using them.

He deliberately hand-balled.

Diego Maradona used his hand to score against England.

Thierry Henry kept the ball in play using his hand to knock out Ireland.

If someone did that against your team, would you be congratulating them the same way?

They are all dirty cheats, and will always be remembered for it.

consortium11

Quote from: Ridcully on July 07, 2010, 03:19:02 AM
Tonight, David Villa will face Manuel Neuer though. Here's a clip from him with saves from one match. This save at 0:37 is IMHO the greatest save ever made by a goalie.

Manuel Neuer - One Man Show vs. Porto

I rate Neuer and think he will go on to e one of the worlds greatest goalkeepers over the next decade but I'm not completely sold on him as of right now. Remember, prior to the tragedies that have befallen the German team he was their 3rd choice and against England he looked hesitant, unsure and made a few mistakes. England's own inability to convert chances doesn't add to his talents. Not that he's not good... it's just that he isn't great right now. Not that you'd expect him to be... goalies traditionally are at their best between about 30-34.

Shoshana

Quote from: Stan' on July 07, 2010, 10:00:38 AM
That's absolutely ridiculous.

That's like saying someone who steals answers to a test isn't cheating because he was caught using them.

He deliberately hand-balled.

Diego Maradona used his hand to score against England.

Thierry Henry kept the ball in play using his hand to knock out Ireland.

If someone did that against your team, would you be congratulating them the same way?

Yes, absolutely. In fact, Ireland is one of my 'teams' (part of my family is Irish.) Sometimes you perform the penalty and risk the consequences for the sake of your team--if it's a well-placed penalty that has a chance of being productive, and it's a penalty that won't physically harm anyone, I'm ok with it, even if my team suffers.

Meanwhile, I understand that Suarez's handball is controversial; I was just reading an article about him called "Hero or Villain?" I recognize the controversy, and I respect your opinion. I would never call your opinion on the matter 'ridiculous,' even if I disagree with you. You might consider doing me the same courtesy.

~Bruce Springsteen

Lithos

Neuer as he is now seems to be excellent when he can stay at goal, and sometimes a bit shaky when he has to run off it. Most of the hesitation and such seems to be related to those situations but in few years probably even that will be polished away.
--

Ridcully

Neuer isn't the best yet - what I meant earlier was: David Villa will face a much better goalkeeper than in previous matches (except Bernaglio from Switzerland).

Enke, who committed suicide, was a rock-solid goalkeeper. Yet, he wasn't spectacular.

Neuer or Adler was a tough choice though. Neuer didn't play his best season for Schalke 04. And Adler had a certain advantage from the matches against Russia in the qualification. Both are on an equal high level; it always puzzles me how British teams pay like 20 Million bucks for forwards who had one good season, but overlook all these good goalkeepers in Germany.

Neuer wasn't the third choice though, but the second. When Tim Wiese (Mr. Pink Jersey) was allowed to play, it was because he had one or two good matches before. But, Neuer won the U21-European-Championship as a goalkeeper, and most German ex-national-goalkeepers rate Neuer much higher than Adler or Wiese.

For good reason: Neuer isn't strong when it comes to running out of the goal to catch a ball flying (on the ground, though, he's great). He also gives the appearance of being nervous at times, and quite a few times he flies in a different direction than the ball.

On the other hand, and this is the thing: he also does these unbelievable saves you'll remember later, and then he develops this apperance for the other team like he's unbeatable. That's what makes him like Kahn in 2002. And Kahn brought a veerrrrrrrrry mediocre Germany to the finals then.

I hope he gets tested really early tonight, and gets the balls, to create this atmosphere about him. Then it can become his match. With about felt 23123213 shots of David Villa on the German goal, and Miro Kloses header in the 89' for the 1-0. Out of nothing.

:D

Kitsunetsuki

Congrats to Spain!! Woohoo!! Now, go kick some Dutch butt, boys!! ;D

(I guess that little octopus was right, after all...who would've thought? Let's hope it picks Spain for the final! hee hee)
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Lithos

--

Ridcully

Kill the octopus.

Well, both teams really made a world-class match. Tactics, defense, midfield - on very, very high level of both teams. Spain was the inch better - Xavi and Iniesta mke the difference after all.

However, I'm proud of our team :) They made this summer beautiful again :)

Thank you boys!

Rachubka

Aaaaaaaaah! I'm going to post up a picture soon, hahaha. I've called every winner since the group stages except for the Japan - Paraguay game. I want people to appreciate my soccer genius.

Also, I'm pretty sure Spain is going to win the World Cup. My heart says Netherlands (I've always felt for Robben and Sneijder for their Real Madrid exits), but my head and my nethers are hoping for Espana (Fabregas <3, Pique <3, Villa, <3 Jesus Navas <3, Torres <3, you get the idea).

Shoshana

Question about the octopus: does he just pick by his gut? Or do they put a tv in front of his tank so he can evaluate the teams?  ???  ;)

~Bruce Springsteen

Ramster

Holland to win! Justify my arrogance in changing my avatar, Oranje!

Robben and Sneijder were both aching to leave Real, Rachubka. They realised they weren't guaranteed first team football in a massively overrated and underperforming team, whereas now they're the superstars of their new teams and the Bundesliga and Serie A respectively.

Thanks for demoralising the Germans, clairvoyant octopus! I'd much rather see Holland face the wasteful Spaniards than the German blitzkrieg!
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

Malina

Whew - Spain! ^^ If they play in the final as they did today, Oranje and their stolen Carnival hymn will make the respectable second place. Ours were too scared today, too hesitant; you can't afford that, not against Spain when it's at its best. So impressive to watch them, how they prepare, almost like chess, they're three, four steps ahead before they even get the ball....

Heh, the clairvoyant octopus, he's really good. Maybe next time, they can get him to be more precise, not only predict who wins, but also the score?  XD

I'm a little saddish for the German team, but not really disappointed, they did very well, all in all, not today, but throughout, and to lose against Spain is no shame. They can be proud, all of them, such a young team, seven weeks of preparations, it's impressive (and I'll never forget the fourfold glee it was to watch them against my least liked team).

Kitsunetsuki

Quote from: Shoshana on July 07, 2010, 03:57:48 PM
Question about the octopus: does he just pick by his gut? Or do they put a tv in front of his tank so he can evaluate the teams?  ???  ;)
*chuckles* They put two boxes in his tank, the flag for each team on each box...the boxes each have a clam inside. The octopus then chooses one clam to eat...so, whichever box he opens first, is the predicted winning team. ;)
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]