Interest Check for Fate System (Fate Core RPG)

Started by chaoslord29, December 30, 2013, 02:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGTDan

I was once in a game where you played Stormtroopers  ;D

That was quite fun being on the side you rarely get to see
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

Pumpkin Seeds

Well if we are going with general villainy and scum, Sith shouldn't really have a problem.

chaoslord29

Playing as Stormtroopers? What, did you draw up 10 extra identical character sheets? I kid of course, and I do enjoy military style campaigns. In Fate of course, Stormtroopers are the quintessential faceless NPC, encountered in mobs, and dispatched just as easily.

Sith perhaps not, though they may have the empire breathing down their neck as to what the hell they're doing cavorting with dregs when there's a cold war on. That or they may be hiding out after some rival inside the empire got some leverage over them. In fact, there's quite a few potential plot hooks in there.

Jedi I guess is a little harder, since undercover Jedi Infiltrators and the like are not the usual MO. Still, all eminently doable.

Just to be clear we haven't decided on Star Wars just yet, and I'd love to see some other potential ideas pitched for the Steampunk Airship setting, since it seems to be getting a similar amount of enthusiasm.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

SGTDan

Hahaha no

We were average guys who had a job and we needed to get it done. We responded to calls for help from local forces, hunted drug lords. It was actually very very fun.

If we do Star Wars, just letting you know. I am totally playing one of those guys you see in the background being slaughtered by the hunderds to prove a narrative point. Habit of mine to play the red shirts just to buck the system.
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

TheGlyphstone

I;d rather a smugglers+vagabonds group without any Force-users if we go SW, just to defy the trend that a SW story cannot be interesting unless one of the characters is a Jedi/Sith/Force-sensitive.

But since Steampunk Airships is also leading, here's my pitch for a game premise/setting:

Age of Skysail
Bioshock Infinite meets Pirates of the Caribbean. The Age of Sail never happened, replaced by the Age of Sky as colonialism and airship technology advanced hand-in-hand. Rather than send out expensive expeditions to colonize foreign soil, the great powers of Europe sent their air fleets to build flying towns and cities, laying claim to and exploiting the natural resources of the ground beneath them (and the primitive, land-bound natives who lived there). Control over the vast riches of Africa and the Americas depended on ownership of the floating fortresses above them, and with the dangers of long ocean voyages removed, gunboat diplomacy becomes as common as the more peaceful version.

Players as a group of explorers, privateers, or outright pirates seeking wealth and glory in the name of King and Country, or in the name of themselves, as we see fit. Flavor with pulp adventurism to taste on ground exploration missions.

SGTDan

With Star Wars, I agree Glyph. It's either all Force Users or none with most games.

I actually like that idea, good one.

All my ideas are well..more niche ideas then anything else.
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

chaoslord29

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 31, 2013, 06:51:19 PM
I;d rather a smugglers+vagabonds group without any Force-users if we go SW, just to defy the trend that a SW story cannot be interesting unless one of the characters is a Jedi/Sith/Force-sensitive.

But since Steampunk Airships is also leading, here's my pitch for a game premise/setting:

Age of Skysail
Bioshock Infinite meets Pirates of the Caribbean. The Age of Sail never happened, replaced by the Age of Sky as colonialism and airship technology advanced hand-in-hand. Rather than send out expensive expeditions to colonize foreign soil, the great powers of Europe sent their air fleets to build flying towns and cities, laying claim to and exploiting the natural resources of the ground beneath them (and the primitive, land-bound natives who lived there). Control over the vast riches of Africa and the Americas depended on ownership of the floating fortresses above them, and with the dangers of long ocean voyages removed, gunboat diplomacy becomes as common as the more peaceful version.

Players as a group of explorers, privateers, or outright pirates seeking wealth and glory in the name of King and Country, or in the name of themselves, as we see fit. Flavor with pulp adventurism to taste on ground exploration missions.

Quote from: SGTDan on December 31, 2013, 06:53:50 PM
With Star Wars, I agree Glyph. It's either all Force Users or none with most games.

I actually like that idea, good one.

All my ideas are well..more niche ideas then anything else.

Overall, I love that idea, could totally be the precursor alternate history to a Steampunk WWI book series that I'm a big fan of. I'm picturing early 17th Century: what will become the Thirty Years War is just getting started as the Holy Roman Empire tears itself in twain, with Catholic France and Germany backing Ferdinand II, while Protestant Sweden and Austria and even the Ottomans declare themselves for Frederick V. Britain's James the First is is funding French Protestant Revolutionaries much to the chagrin of Cardinal Richeliue and Queen Mari de'Medici and along with the Netherlands, France, and Spain, busy themselves carving up Africa, India, and the Americas to fuel their warmongering.

The Flintlock Musket is the height of military technology, employed to great effect along with larger cannon aboard airships and sky-vessels, still largely powered by sails. Galileo and Kepler are busy making astronomical discoveries, the Logarithm has just been introduced and on the horizon, experiments have just begun to harness the power of steam . . .

As for the Force User concerns in Star Wars, I know the feeling, trust me. Anyone whose played D20 or Saga Edition knows that having a Force User in the party is a serious imbalance, but fortunately, Fate has a great way of balancing just such a thing out.

That said, I see no reason to rule out or in Force Users one way or another, and the interest definitely seems to be on a Scum and Villainy sort of concept. We could bring the PCs together taking jobs in the growing crime war between the Hutts and the Exchange during the Old Republic Era, even as they themselves are being used as proxies for the Sith and Republic, making potential characters out to be doubly deniable assets.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari

SGTDan

Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

TheGlyphstone

Flying men-o-war at least. Instead of 'ships of the line', they'd be 'ships of the wall' flying in square 3-D formations better able to focus their cannon fire on specific ships in the opposing fleet.

As for the Force-Users thing, I know FATE mechanically balances them, but I'm not real certain it'd solve the problem since their narrative weight is unchanged or even emphasized. Sith/Jedi are just narratively more important than anyone else, it's an unfortunate aspect of how the Star Wars universe is written, which could be problematic in terms of Aspects. Not to mention Sith aren't exactly team players without a large dose of OOC social contract restraining them.

And this 'sailpunk' airship setting is getting cooler with every contribution, we can't squander it now.

SGTDan

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 31, 2013, 09:55:45 PM
Flying men-o-war at least. Instead of 'ships of the line', they'd be 'ships of the wall' flying in square 3-D formations better able to focus their cannon fire on specific ships in the opposing fleet.

As for the Force-Users thing, I know FATE mechanically balances them, but I'm not real certain it'd solve the problem since their narrative weight is unchanged or even emphasized. Sith/Jedi are just narratively more important than anyone else, it's an unfortunate aspect of how the Star Wars universe is written, which could be problematic in terms of Aspects. Not to mention Sith aren't exactly team players without a large dose of OOC social contract restraining them.

And this 'sailpunk' airship setting is getting cooler with every contribution, we can't squander it now.
Ships of the Wall don't have the same ring as Ship of the Line....

I completely agree with Glyph on this. It's less mechanically and more a narrative issue. If you have a party with two force users and the rest are not then which are the NPCs more drawn to? The force users. I personally am for either a sort of peacekeeper kind of role of the party or just a crew of random people trying to live in space.
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Faeli

I don't care a whit about the setting, because I am amazing everywhere!  *preen!*

chaoslord29

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 31, 2013, 09:55:45 PM

I laugh because FATE is even better at balancing Narrative than it is mechanics haha. In fact, I think the main reason to play anything but a Force User is that even a Jedi or Sith can only have one or two Force related Aspects before they get stale. So that guy who spent his whole live in the enclave on Dantoonie is going to grasping at straws real quick to give their Aspects some punch.

I do like the Sail Punk setting though . . .

No reason this thread can't spawn two separate games if there's someone else willing to step up and run em.
My Guiding Light-

Pumpkin Seeds

Honestly I do disagree with the narrative point that a Sith/Jedi player has to take center stage.  Even though Luke Skywalker is an important figure in Heir to the Empire, you can tell the writer’s main focus is on Admiral Thrawn and also the importance of non-force users such as Han Solo and the smugglers of the book.  There is certainly an effort to downplay force users.  Also I remember a Sith I played once who was a “backseat” style character in the sense that her anger made her pretty much an attack dog, not a leader or driving force to the plot.  She was certainly a scary figure, but at the end of the day someone was holding her leash and always would because she could not think beyond the next fight. 

While I am no expert in Star Wars having only recently started reading the fiction, I could see a few instances of a force user put into the debt and beneath the orders of another character.  Perhaps someone fleeing the Jedi Council and the Sith as was suggested, someone that is using the smugglers and underworld to hide.  Could go with a Jedi Infiltrator type that perhaps figures the best way to harness the criminal underworld is to be inside the underworld manipulating things or a Sith that wants to use the underworld as an instrument their peers won’t have.  While the will have power, they still need the others characters to accomplish their own goals and so there is that classic give and take group dynamic.  Anyway, I see what is being said about the narrative but do think that having one or two force users in a group is doable.

As for the swashbuckling airship story presented, absolutely love. 

kckolbe

I'd love some more details on the Skyship one, namely what allegiance you see our group as having.  Would we be linked to a country and in charge of starting/maintaining colonies?  Perhaps the start of a war fleet/privateers?  Would we be an independent trade ship or pirates?  I kind of like the colony angle, personally, since I love tedious details.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

HairyHeretic

Independent contracters, doing jobs for whichever government pays the most? Steampunk Shadowrunners? ;)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

Be neat to start out as a Steampunk Shadowrunner type.  Thought what kckolbe seems to be describing sounds more like Rogue Trader.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 31, 2013, 06:51:19 PM
Age of Skysail

Hm.  My go-to reference on skyship pirating is Skies of Arcadia, which is a bit more light-hearted, but this is still really cool.

I don't dislike tedious details like how to run colonies, but I'm not sure FATE has much support for it.  Although it sure does provide interesting fodder for aspects...

kckolbe

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 01, 2014, 08:30:24 AM
Be neat to start out as a Steampunk Shadowrunner type.  Thought what kckolbe seems to be describing sounds more like Rogue Trader.

I briefly described a number of possible options.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 01, 2014, 08:40:44 AM
Both angles are doable.

Indeed. It was just a mini-pitch, designed to give us as many options for characters as possible. Steampunk Shadowrunners/pirates works just as well as officially sanctioned privateers/explorers flying under the flag of a certain nation. Though I wouldn't see us being involved in running a colony right off the bat, honestly.

SGTDan

Steampunk Rogue Trader....

Now there is an idea and a half, that would be very fun and curious. Hell Star Wars Rogue Trader would be fun while I'm thinking about it. I figure running a colony while I share Kolbe's love for details (Should see the CS I recently did, ask Pumpkin). For tabletop PBP I strongly steer away from managerial situations. The whole point for me of tabletop is to tell a story on a very personal level go through a character development and experiences.

Also isn't Steampunk Shadowrunners...basically privateers for the time period. One of the world powers gives us a Letter of Marque and say "Jolly ho chap!". Tip of a top hat and we're sinking Spanish treasure fleets?
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

chaoslord29

Privateers are basically the Shadowrunners and deniable assets of the colonial era as it stands.

Seems like there's a lot of good material either way we go, Star Wars or Airship, is there anyone else who would definitely want to run either of those? If so, I can run the other one, and we'll have two awesome games going for all the folks here to get their top choice.
My Guiding Light-

SGTDan

I'm no GM material however if no one else steps up, then I can give it a shot. Always been more of a player but hey you never know!
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

kckolbe

I've proven to be a consistently "blah" GM, focusing more on systems and details with less than compelling writing.  I generally make a pretty cool co-GM, but that's it.

Intro Thread