What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Playing Gods and Kings. I love Empire of the Smokey Skies, even if it's a bit too... Victorian for my tastes (I like my steampunk about WWI onward... though now that I've actually gotten somewhere it is getting more Great Warish). I've got three Land Leviathans meaning I'm the guy with the best land and airships on the block. :D

Also, got the best of Star Wars collection so I get Republic Commando, which I sorely miss. Knights of the Old Republic. Played the second one, but not the first. Battlefront, Jedi Outcast, and Empire at War.

Still didn't find a galactic 4X out there anywhere... oh well...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Brandon

*sighs* Skyrim seems to have a problem with quest lines bugging out. The first time I had the cease fire around the table bug. Then I had the civil war bug. Then it was Dawnguard. Now its the companion questline. I think Im going to take a break from it, having two characters bug within a week just kills my desire to play it despite dawnguard being new. Its not like its going anywhere

Of course that leaves me with another issue, what should I play now?

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Try Endless Space. Yes, I'm playing a space sim >.< But only because it's turn based. I've spent a friggen hour just in the tutorial, there is no way I could do this in real time.

Brandon

Ive heard of that one. Is it like Master of Orion 2?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on July 07, 2012, 12:03:49 AM
Try Endless Space. Yes, I'm playing a space sim >.< But only because it's turn based. I've spent a friggen hour just in the tutorial, there is no way I could do this in real time.
Where do you get it? Never mind, I can't get it even if I wanted to.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on July 07, 2012, 07:30:48 AM
Where do you get it? Never mind, I can't get it even if I wanted to.

What, no steam? D:

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on July 07, 2012, 09:50:51 AM
What, no steam? D:
You still have to be online and download the entire game, Wolfy, platform aside. The most I do with Steam is use it to verify my Copy of CiV and expansion. It's supposed to hit brick and mortar shops August 24, time will tell if it's an actual CD or just a voucher.

Sabby

Already I'm having to Google the mechanics of this game. No one concept is that hard to wrap my head around, but there's just soooooo much to take in D= It's very overwhelming. But I thought I was getting the hang of it and then boom, two alien species show up.

WTF?! I have the best scientists in the fucking Galaxy and we've been doing nothing but hammer away at the technology to colonize the other two planets of my system, because it's all I can do! There's nothing else for me yet! How the fuck are they exploring space already? D= Did I miss the way to travel to other stars? It said 'you can do it later in the game' in the tutorial, but then how the fuck did they get it so quick? I am so lost.

I just know that a hundred turns from now I'm guna be overpopulating these over mined three planets and then boom, here come The Reapers >.<

Hemingway

Sabby, you start the game with a scout and a colony ship. Terran, Jungle, and I think Ocean planets are colonizable from the start, but those are rare. The tutorial explains how to move fleets between star systems, but it's apparently buggy and sometimes they won't move. In that case, disband the fleet and re-create it from the hangar in the system view ( clicking the star ). You can travel between systems connected by solid lines from the start, but you have to research to travel between systems connected by misty lines ( wormholes ) - wormholes seem to me to most commonly connect your starting arm of the galaxy ( assuming a spiral galaxy ) to the galactic core, probably to prevent rushing in the early game.

Was that helpful at all? I had to stumble my way through it, too, but ... it's not really as complicated as it first seems.

Sabby

I've tried remaking my fleet, yeah. I can click on them, then click where to move, nothing. Dragging, nothing. There's no button option for it either. And they don't let you review the tutorials, which is silly, considering how many they were -.-

Oh hai Amoeba :3 yes, we can haz pees

Sabby

Checked Wiki, I think I have it now ^^ I do like that pretty much everything you do is a speed issue and not a cost. Never liked RTS games. This feels much more organic. Of course a military empire with a whole system of factory planets would be able to churn out industrial things like it's no big deal, and the race with more labs would research faster.

Much better then "More gold required"

Edit: Got it now, thanks :3 But now I'm 50 turns in with nothing to show for it but 3 planets and a list of cool tech I can never use, so I'll have to restart. Oh well, whenever I try a game outside of my usual comfort zone, I always prepare for the first play through to have to be scrapped.

Hemingway

I found myself restarting several times within about 50 turns, getting more and more right every time. One helpful feature is that, if you don't have any research selected, it'll remind you if you try to end turn. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the same with construction, and as far as I know there's no benefit to having no construction ( if I have nothing I want to build, I usually do manufacture to science ).

Also, I find myself sometimes neglecting research in certain branches. Say I want to get all the colonization options fast, which I often do. That leads to neglecting the science and labor trees, which provide really useful bonuses early on ( like strategic resources ).

I still find myself often outpaced by the AI, barely matching it on Easy, and combat can be difficult. Or, rather, designing efficient ships can be hard. But screw that. You can design your own ships! Want a capital ship which obliterates the enemy in the first turn with missiles - or one that sacrifices long-range capabilities for close-range armor and punch? YOU CAN HAVE IT.

Inkidu

I'll just stay over here, you know... not playing the game. :(

Sabby

$30 is a bit much for an indie game, but I'm considering buying it, if only so I can play multiplayer. I'd feel a lot better playing with a friend if the A.I. is that good.

Inkidu

I can run it on my laptop if I have to, in fact, the only thing stopping me from getting it is the two-gig download it would cost. :\
Oh, well, at least I won't have to pay for it. The 24th is a day after my birthday.

Hemingway

You can get the boxed version from Amazon, apparently.

Sabby

Hemingway

Ahh, I'm in a cold war arms race with Horatio.

Which is a hilarious faction. Well, faction is a bit of a misnomer. It's not really the "Horatio faction". It's more like eccentric ( or batshit insane ) trillionaire Horatio decided to move to a distant solar system, and cloned himself. The entire faction is Horatio clones.

Now, he has lots of fleets on my doorstep. I have like .. four. But my ships are so strong that they're more than a match for his. I might invade, just for kicks.

Sabby

And yet, if you completely wipe out the entire empire, [Gimli]that still only counts as one[/Gimli]

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on July 07, 2012, 03:09:22 PM
You can get the boxed version from Amazon, apparently.
They're lying to you Hemingway. I typed in Endless Space, and Amplitude and got nothing.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on July 07, 2012, 04:50:09 PM
They're lying to you Hemingway. I typed in Endless Space, and Amplitude and got nothing.

Ahh! It's on the UK site, but it's not released until August 24, I see.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on July 07, 2012, 04:54:42 PM
Ahh! It's on the UK site, but it's not released until August 24, I see.
Well, at least it seems they're going to make physical copies. So that's something.

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on July 07, 2012, 02:42:25 PM
$30 is a bit much for an indie game, but I'm considering buying it, if only so I can play multiplayer. I'd feel a lot better playing with a friend if the A.I. is that good.

Indie game isnt really something that should consider price. I mean there are indie games that I would have gladly payed $60 for (Dungeon defenders). Quality is quality and fun is fun whether you have a publisher backing you or not.

Hemingway

I agree fully with Brandon. Endless Space is every bit as polished as, say, Sins of a Solar Empire. I've played it for 12 hours already - that's longer than I spend with most AAA titles these days, and it's every bit as entertaining. If not more so.

Sabby

I am such an idiot. I recently got a high def TV (SQUEE!!!) which I've never had. And it looked the same as any other TV but bigger -.- I was still getting jaggies and it didn't move all smooth like. Yes, these are the extent of my technical terms. My Xbox doesn't have a HDMI port, so JB Hi-Fi sells me Component Cables. Just as good they said!

And I've been using those for over a month now and I thought maybe I'd wasted 200 bucks (bought from a friend, cables were expensive) and I'm only now being told that Microsoft decided it'd be smart to sell component cables with no HD options.

THANKS MICROSOFT =D Now I have to go and find the chunky grey ones somewhere, because the new sleek black model doesn't have a HD/SD switch on it.