Oh..those people at westboro baptist are at it again! o3o

Started by Wolfy, July 11, 2010, 09:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101996-Church-Protesting-San-Diego-Comic-Con-For-Idol-Worship

Yep. So apparently their going to protest* at Comic-Con.

Apparently they think that people are worshiping people like Batman and Superman like Gods, and that's a big no no. (Well, it is a big no no in Christianity to worship other gods, but I think they're just crazy. >_>)

Oh Mighty Elliquiy..please, tell me your thoughts.

GeekFury

If the people worshiping super heros as 'gods' are'nt christians or religious in anyway then they don't have the right to protest to really, as the worship of false idols is only a sin if you believe in the ten commandments right?

If the worlds going to hell, I'd rather prey to Superman or Batman, I'd hold more hope of them coming to save the day than God, in his book he has'nt done anything since biblical times, atleast the super heros do alot more, hell Captian America PUNCHED Hitler, where was God when Hitler was about? Not punching him in the fucking face thats for sure!

Damn religious extremists, I don't care who you worship just don't go shoving it in my face and telling me how to live. Now if you will excuse me, it's time I sacrafice a cow to Odin, before I have my orgey in the name of Jupiter then my ritual combat to Ares. Busy day.

Jude

I wish they'd protest something near me, I desperately want to mess with them.

Oniya

Quote from: Jude on July 11, 2010, 11:42:49 AM
I wish they'd protest something near me, I desperately want to mess with them.

Ditto.

I'm wondering what they'd do if someone cosplayed Thor in front of them.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

GeekFury

Quote from: Oniya on July 11, 2010, 11:44:18 AM

I'm wondering what they'd do if someone cosplayed Thor in front of them.

Oh I would so do that, or dress a fucking druid, or run up to them dressed as Superman and go 'have no fear citizens I am here to rid you of your false god!' then get beaten to death by their signs I assume. This is why I like living in Scotland we don't have to many religious nutters.

Inkidu

Ironically before I gave up on the church part of religion I had a pastor and he and I would sit there and talk for hours about superheroes and the biblical allusions some of the earliest writers and artists liked to use. He was a neat guy.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

See, that's the kind of pastor I could get along with.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ket

Playing devil's advocate here (no pun intended):

Per the article, the protesters will be there for a 45 minutes on one day. They have every right to stand outside and hold up their signs, just as everyone else has the right to enjoy the con or stand right along with them, so long as they don't violate laws.

I understand their messages are quite tactless and pretty much against the feelings of the rest of the country, but they are still allowed to shout them at the top of their lungs. The reason they have impact is because people pay attention to them. Ignore them and don't let their messages bother you, and they will go away.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Jude

Yeah, I agree completely, but I think I find them amusing more than anything.  I bet that pisses them off more than being ignored does.  They're basically IRL trolls.

Hunter

Quote from: Wolfy on July 11, 2010, 09:24:21 AM
Oh Mighty Elliquiy..please, tell me your thoughts.

Why are you even bothering to give them any attention?  Did the thought occur that they might be doing it for the press?

Oniya

There's two forms of how WBC gets into the press - the 'Oh my goodness, what terrible people! Counterprotest! Rawr!', which leads to them being able to say how put-upon they are.  Then there's what's likely to happen at Comic-con.  They will be subjected to everything from the aforementioned super-hero cosplayers, to people speaking Klingon or Quenya fluently (because they can - I know some of these people), maybe the occasional fan-fic/fan-art creator...

It'll be like dropping them in Babylon Five.

Wolfy

...*gasp*

I've just had quite possible the best. idea. ever.

Anthropomorphize the Westboro Baptists, and then draw them in Yaoi Fanart.

o-o Or just draw their members in Yaoi Fanart.

Lord Drake

Quote from: Hunter on July 11, 2010, 02:44:42 PM
Why are you even bothering to give them any attention?  Did the thought occur that they might be doing it for the press?

+ 376.895.239
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

HairyHeretic

You could always wander by and tell them Thor probably thinks they're a crowd of idiots.

He hasn't said as much to me, but I'm pretty sure that'd be his opinion of them.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MasterMischief

So...can I get a group of my friends and protest their 'false' god across the street from their church for 45 minutes or would that constitute crucifying the Christians again?

Lilias

Believe it or not, there are many more Christians than you think who would consider WBC a bunch of complete and utter nutjobs. But we're mostly on the other side of the pond.

In Greece, they would get arrested, but then we have no First Amendment there.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Inkidu

Quote from: Lilias on July 11, 2010, 04:56:12 PM
Believe it or not, there are many more Christians than you think who would consider WBC a bunch of complete and utter nutjobs. But we're mostly on the other side of the pond.

In Greece, they would get arrested, but then we have no First Amendment there.
+1 to the first part.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Well yes, Westboro Baptist is so bad that the KKK, the racist nutjobs, Disavow any association with them. O-o

I just find it funny how they're protesting Comic-Con.

Though...45 minutes? Why even bother? o3o

Oniya

I'd actually say that 98% of Christians world-wide think that WBC are complete and utter nutjobs.

Lord Drake

Quote from: Oniya on July 11, 2010, 05:15:01 PM
I'd actually say that 98% of Christians world-wide think that WBC are complete and utter nutjobs.

+1
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

Avi

There are plenty of reasonable Christians here in the U.S. as well, myself being one of them.  The sad thing is that the most vocal minority is the one being heard the most.  Besides, a thoughtful discussion about differences in opinion doesn't make the media, it's boring and uninteresting to the average person.  But a screaming horde of idiots spouting hatred does make the news because it's so out of the ordinary for many people.

Edit:  Oniya's right as well.  The WBC does not speak for the Christian Church.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Noelle

Quote from: Wolfy on July 11, 2010, 05:08:42 PMThough...45 minutes? Why even bother? o3o

Because with the press they get before they even show up, they hardly need to go at all to get the attention they crave.

MasterMischief

Now if only we could get Jack Chick to immortalize this in print...

Wolfy

Hmm...You know what I'd like?..I'd actually like the Pope to say something about them. o-o I know that will never happen, but I would love to see it.

Serephino

You never know, if they keep this shit up the Pope might make a statement, especially if they start hurting the church.  I know they're extremist attention whores, and not real Christians, but as it's also been mentioned, it's the attention whores people see the most.  And yes, that would be hilarious if the very figurehead of their own religion publicly declared them nutjobs.  I'd pay to watch them listen to that. 

I really can't say I'm surprised.  Every time they stop getting attention for one thing they have to top themselves to get the spotlight back on themselves.  It's actually kind of sad.  As soon as this is over they'll do something else equally stupid. 

Something I think would be a fun thing to do is attend one of their protests wearing every piece of pentacle jewelry I own and sit and watch them with a bag of popcorn while occasionally pointing and laughing hysterically.  It might not sound like much, but you can't legally attack them.  I'd rather shoot at them with a pellet gun to watch them dance, but that would get me arrested.  And you can't argue with them because that's what they want.  They want an excuse to get that smug little smirk on their faces while they yell at you about how wrong you are and going to hell for it.  They also want to make you angry.  So I would simply treat them like the freakshow they are; only good for entertainment.  Nothing illegal about laughing at a bunch of idiots.