Trade Off

Started by frogman, April 21, 2011, 06:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frogman

I have an idea that might increase RP activity: create a forum where people can make RP requests, and if someone accepts, then the original poster must agree to do a separate RP with that person on something the accepter desires.

Let's see if I can type that clearer... suppose X posts a request for a standard romance RP.  Y agrees to do an RP.  Now, as part of the agreement, X must do a separate RP with Y on a topic that Y wants.  In order to make it fair, X will know ahead of time what that new topic is and can back out until the original RP begins.

Perhaps this idea can be better developed, but in my short time here I've noticed two trends that I'm not sure whether or not they are actually true:
1. Women get responses much quicker than men.
2. It's not so easy to get a RP.

I think my idea will mitigate both trends, and I think it will improve chances of people getting to RP a scenario they desire.  Right now, only a person who is interested will accept a request.  This idea will allow altruistic people to do an RP that they may have no strong opinion either way in return for increasing the odds that they can do an RP they really want.  What do you all think?

frogman

Just to preempt a potential difficulty: I don't think that having no strong opinion will hurt the quality of the RP too much.  I think that if people are getting what they want in their own RP, then they'll hopefully be more willing to try and make their partner's RP good.  The assumption here is that people will be altruistic and honest and try their best rather than doing an RP begrudgingly. 

HairyHeretic

RPs can be strange beasts. You can post an idea and have no interest shown in it at all. Post it again 3 months later and a stampede breaks down your door wanting it. I've had idea's scooped up in minutes, and others that took months before someone showed interest in them.

If someone is interested in a RP, then they're interested in it on its own merits. I don't think it's a case of "If you do mine, I'll do yours." Certainly there is nothing to prevent any pair writing several stories together, but I don't think it's something that should somehow become a requirement.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beguile's Mistress

That might be an interesting concept, however, I wouldn't approach a writer whose preferences didn't coincide with mine nor would I accept a partnership with someone who wasn't a match for my style or preferences.  There would still be no story between us because I doubt that a writer with strong preferences that I dislike would be willing to write with me and NOT attempt to include those characteristics in the story.

In other words, if our preferences (Ons & Offs) don't match there would still be no story no matter who asked first.

There is also a policy on E that everyone is allowed the right to say "No, thank you."

frogman

My point was that rather than both people having to strongly like a RP, it would allow for one to have a neutral opinion about it.  It would reduce the threshold for someone to accept it.  So you still think that even still people would not be interested unless they strongly liked the scenario?

Lilias

Quote from: frogman on April 21, 2011, 06:43:31 AM
Perhaps this idea can be better developed, but in my short time here I've noticed two trends that I'm not sure whether or not they are actually true:
1. Women get responses much quicker than men.
2. It's not so easy to get a RP.

The wanted boards are not the only way to get games. A lot of people prefer to browse people's O/Os and PM them directly, or even if they check the boards, they go straight to PM rather than express interest in the open. Also, the longer one stays here, the better they network and don't even have to advertise - games spring out of casual conversations as much as out of planning. So what you see there can be very far from the actual way things work.

In my time here (going on three years now), I have found that the games entered with a 'meh, why not' mentality are the first to fall by the wayside. If the writers don't feel strongly at the beginning, it's not very likely they'll keep up the game for long.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

HairyHeretic

Quote from: frogman on April 21, 2011, 07:09:35 AM
My point was that rather than both people having to strongly like a RP, it would allow for one to have a neutral opinion about it.  It would reduce the threshold for someone to accept it.  So you still think that even still people would not be interested unless they strongly liked the scenario?

Why would you want to play out a story unless you liked the idea?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

frogman

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 21, 2011, 07:51:32 AM
Why would you want to play out a story unless you liked the idea?

As a thank you of sorts for someone agreeing to play out a story you wanted.

Oniya

I'm also not entirely sure that a woman's posting necessarily gets quicker responses.  It may be visibly verifiable that they get more in-thread replies (although I'm not inclined to do the data input on that), but it's impossible to figure in replies that come through PMs, the chat room, or instant messengers.  Personally, I'm more likely to PM someone in regards to an RP, rather than post in their thread - partly because I don't want to make the idea look taken if we can't work something out.  (Honestly, if you see an idea thread with 20 responses and one with none, which one is going to look more 'available'?)  Also, there are some people that lock their request threads for personal 'tidiness' reasons.  There's no way of telling how quickly those ideas are taken unless a) you stalk that thread and b) they update the thread immediately on a plot being taken.  Again, more effort than I'd be willing to take to analyze that potential trend.

Also - suppose that you agree to this 'trade-off', and within the first page of responses, you find that the other person's style (not plot) is impossible for you to work with?  Then both of you are stuck with two RPs that one or both of you aren't enjoying.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jag

Quote from: frogman on April 21, 2011, 09:22:26 AM
As a thank you of sorts for someone agreeing to play out a story you wanted.

And what if your partner doesn't enjoy this second game idea? I'm sorry, I just don't see how forcing a secondary game requirement is a 'thank you'.

*shrugs*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

frogman

Quote from: Oniya on April 21, 2011, 09:27:10 AM
I'm also not entirely sure that a woman's posting necessarily gets quicker responses.  It may be visibly verifiable that they get more in-thread replies (although I'm not inclined to do the data input on that), but it's impossible to figure in replies that come through PMs, the chat room, or instant messengers.  Personally, I'm more likely to PM someone in regards to an RP, rather than post in their thread - partly because I don't want to make the idea look taken if we can't work something out.  (Honestly, if you see an idea thread with 20 responses and one with none, which one is going to look more 'available'?)  Also, there are some people that lock their request threads for personal 'tidiness' reasons.  There's no way of telling how quickly those ideas are taken unless a) you stalk that thread and b) they update the thread immediately on a plot being taken.  Again, more effort than I'd be willing to take to analyze that potential trend.

Also - suppose that you agree to this 'trade-off', and within the first page of responses, you find that the other person's style (not plot) is impossible for you to work with?  Then both of you are stuck with two RPs that one or both of you aren't enjoying.

These are two good points.  Thank you... just trying to figure out ways to make it easier, especially for NINGs, to get involved.

Oniya

Positive steps to getting more RPs:

1) Post ideas - even if they don't get an immediate response.  Be sure to post in the right section (Non Forum for messenger RPs; One x One or Group for forum-based RPs)

2) Contact other people about their ideas.  Again, be sure you're looking in the right section, as some people aren't comfortable with certain formats.

3) Socialize.  Not just the silly games, but in Good & Cuddly, Bad & Ugly, On Topic, Off Topic, chat room, etc.  The better you know people, the less likely you are to pitch an idea that falls flat for that person.  The silly games are all well and good, but it's hard to get to know anyone through a series of one-word free associations.  Longer posts also help get your general writing style out there.

4) Don't overlook the Non-Adult RP area and literary areas.  These areas can be a chance to get your fictional writing style out there.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

frogman

Thanks for the suggestions Oniya.

lollipop

I agree with everyone else. Forcing someone to write something they don't want to is ridiculous. I expect someone to choose one of my ideas because they want to play it, not to force me to play something with them. This is about fun and if I don't like an idea that I'm forced to play ... it's no longer fun nor worth playing.

Nadir

I use trade offs with friends, sometimes. On here, I've traded off with Antone - I agreed to a femdomme game if he agreed to a slash one. I prefer to sub, and he prefers the ladies, but we love each others styles and don't find the roles all that against the grain. So it works.

I sort of trade off with Michi, too, but it's too hard to tell where she starts and I end so I don't think that example works too well.

It's a system that works with the right people, and allows for some really great games. I'm not sure how successful it would be between two strangers, but so longs as both parties stayed polite and respectful, there's no reason why it couldn't work.

Caeli

Quote from: Eden on April 26, 2011, 02:04:35 AMIt's a system that works with the right people, and allows for some really great games. I'm not sure how successful it would be between two strangers, but so longs as both parties stayed polite and respectful, there's no reason why it couldn't work.

I haven't done trade-offs myself, but I must echo Eden's last thought, here.

I also think that with a partner that you're comfortable with, you might enjoy elements within the roleplay that you normally might not, because you're roleplaying with someone that you trust and whose company you enjoy. I derive quite a bit of enjoyment from roleplaying with someone who has told me that s/he is really digging the roleplay, so even if the elements within aren't my absolute favorite story items, it's still fun to write.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

consortium11

I don't think the suggestion actually helps with the (perceived) flaw it's trying to deal with... especially with regards to actually getting rps.

The sad fact of life is that there are only so many hours in the day and only so many of them can be spent on E. Because of that there are only so many games that writers will generally have the time to take on due to time. If writers are forced/encouraged to double up their games with partners then that's one less rp they could do with someone else.