Who here plays TT RPG games

Started by AtlasEros, November 08, 2010, 09:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtlasEros

by TT, I mean table top, the kind that involve paper & usually dice.  If so, which games are you playing or which ones do you like?
O/O

Oniya

When I have a group to play with, I like house-rule D&D.  I've also played Amber, and oWoD (with everything).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cold Heritage

Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Craz

My Sunday group has been playing Exodus, which is a mod of d20 Modern that's basically Fallout. It's pretty cool, considering the amount of BS we've gotten up to-like somehow jamming an AK-47.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

I'm in a regular pen and paper group. At present we're playing Dresden Files, before that was Scion (Demigod level). I'd like to get them to try Rogue Trader, or even Dark Heresy, but I know its just not their kind of game though. I'm the only 40k nut amongst the group :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hunter

I GM (shadowrun 3rd edition) and play (currently only Hollow Earth Expedition) also.

AtlasEros

Quote from: Oniya on November 09, 2010, 12:30:27 AM
When I have a group to play with, I like house-rule D&D.  I've also played Amber, and oWoD (with everything).
I use a lot of house rules for D&D too.  Tina, a friend of mine, let me read the Amber book years ago but never played it.  I love old wod (not so big on the  new version but I've played it).
O/O

AtlasEros

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 09, 2010, 09:49:11 AM
I'm in a regular pen and paper group. At present we're playing Dresden Files, before that was Scion (Demigod level). I'd like to get them to try Rogue Trader, or even Dark Heresy, but I know its just not their kind of game though. I'm the only 40k nut amongst the group :)
1 of the girls in my gaming group really loves Dresden Files & plans to run that at some point, looking forward to trying it.  She's also ran Scion for us, we played at Hero level.  I've never played Dark Heresy before but it seems to be popular.
O/O

HairyHeretic

Dresden Files is a very good system, and one I'd recommend. It helps if you have some degree of familiarity with the novels, especially if you're going to play something other than a pure mortal character.

Scion we have run from Hero up to Demigod. Currently we're at Legend 6, but taking a break from it to play other stuff. We tend to rotate games every so often, so we don't get bored with something. Previously we've also ran GURPS, Star Wars, Legend of the Five Rings and a handfull of other games.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AtlasEros

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 09, 2010, 12:00:58 PM
Dresden Files is a very good system, and one I'd recommend. It helps if you have some degree of familiarity with the novels, especially if you're going to play something other than a pure mortal character.

Scion we have run from Hero up to Demigod. Currently we're at Legend 6, but taking a break from it to play other stuff. We tend to rotate games every so often, so we don't get bored with something. Previously we've also ran GURPS, Star Wars, Legend of the Five Rings and a handfull of other games.
I have a bad taste for gurps but that's do to people running it in a mix everything you can think of together way.  Star Wars I like, especially the Twi' Lecks.  I've never played LOTFR.
O/O

HairyHeretic

L5R is set in a fantasy version of (mostly) Japan (there are influences from other cultures there, but its mostly Japan). I think it's a very good game, but getting players used to the Western mindset (What's in it for us for saving your town?) to think like Samurai (My lord offers me his kimono? What an honor!) can take some doing :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

meikle

this thread needs more Exalted love
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Ryven

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MasterMischief

Alternating, I run Mutants & Masterminds and play in an Exalted campaign.

Hairy, Dresden is really Fate 3.0

AtlasEros

Quote from: MasterMischief on November 09, 2010, 08:43:26 PM
Alternating, I run Mutants & Masterminds and play in an Exalted campaign.

Hairy, Dresden is really Fate 3.0
I've played M&M 2nd, really like the system great for making all sort of different powered heroes.  One of my buddies is talking about starting another game of that soon.
O/O

meikle

Quote from: AtlasEros on November 09, 2010, 09:17:19 PM
I've played M&M 2nd, really like the system great for making all sort of different powered heroes.  One of my buddies is talking about starting another game of that soon.

Should totes look into 3e!  It is all the stuff that is good about 2e and then better

O and O and Discord
A and A

MikeH5

I run L5R every friday night!

My campaign is based around a Yodotai expedition and the eventual adoption of the survivors and their Ronin allies as the Eagle Clan. The Yodotai, L5R Romans serve as the mystery clan so that my player's can't know what they will do, as the clans in the book are pretty well laid out. The Party, having played in a small but important role in the war that lead to the Eagle Clan's founding will have to deal with the results their success wrought. However, though a great set piece for my game, the Yodotai are their to provide a huge distraction from and perhaps a refuge from as well the main threat; a massive Spider Clan infiltration of of Rokugan.

Major Major

If anyone's interested, I've done God-Like; it's a grand game that.

Blinks

Well, i've done D&D 3rd eddition. Dabbled a bit in WoD, the old version i think.

My current and it would seem longest lasting love though is exalted. My feelings generally if i'm going to play such games i want to be damn memorable. Not have house cats be a legitimate threat when i'm starting out.
Battle cattle are indeed a formidable foe

HairyHeretic

Quote from: MikeH5 on November 09, 2010, 11:56:20 PM
I run L5R every friday night!

My campaign is based around a Yodotai expedition and the eventual adoption of the survivors and their Ronin allies as the Eagle Clan. The Yodotai, L5R Romans serve as the mystery clan so that my player's can't know what they will do, as the clans in the book are pretty well laid out. The Party, having played in a small but important role in the war that lead to the Eagle Clan's founding will have to deal with the results their success wrought. However, though a great set piece for my game, the Yodotai are their to provide a huge distraction from and perhaps a refuge from as well the main threat; a massive Spider Clan infiltration of of Rokugan.

Sounds good. I spent about 3 years running the City of Lies campaign (1st ed box set, but we played under 3rd ed rules), and we had a lot of fun with that.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

meikle

Quote from: Blinks on November 10, 2010, 05:46:53 AMMy current and it would seem longest lasting love though is exalted. My feelings generally if i'm going to play such games i want to be damn memorable. Not have house cats be a legitimate threat when i'm starting out.

+1! :D

Also, new Infernals book came out today for Exalted!  Rules for Infernal characters to become some not-quite-Primordial superthings!

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Valerian

I've played... uh, lots and lots of systems.  Heh.  I learned on 2nd edition D&D, then tried GURPS and decided that was the system for me; but since I'm always willing to try a new system, I've since played everything from Chill to Toon.  (Not Exalted, though, I'm afraid -- I just don't know anyone local who plays that.)

But I have a regular Saturday game, where we're currently figuring out how to break the GM's homebrew system into little pieces.  AKA playtesting it.  :D
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

meikle

O and O and Discord
A and A

Kunoichi

I usually play D&D 3.5, though it's been a while since I've actually played it at a tabletop.

Paranoia was kinda fun, though...

Amberghylles

I have played... a lot of games.  Currently I'm running a Shadowrun game.

Blinks

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 10, 2010, 12:56:09 PM
What book is that?

Broken Wing Crane. Should only be $5 or so. It's essentially the bits they had to cut out of Infernals.

HairyHeretic

Can't say the Infernals really interest me. My group wouldn't play them, so I might only ever make use of them as opponents.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

meikle

That is sad news.  Infernals are so awesome, and BWC just made them awesomer:

Broken Winged Crane has Heretical Charms, which Infernals can use to redefine their Exaltations -- by reformatting their Exaltations into their own unique Castes and creating their own self-defining Charm trees, Primordial-style. :D

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

My group aren't really big on playing evil characters. I probably do best in that regard.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

meikle

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

I would have enough trouble getting them to accept a ronin Abyssal, let alone an Infernal.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Blinks

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 10, 2010, 05:37:36 PM
Can't say the Infernals really interest me. My group wouldn't play them, so I might only ever make use of them as opponents.

To be honest, i tend to play as Solars mostly myself. Lunars now and then when the urge takes me. I'm a big fan of the shiny.  The infernals though are kind of intresting. In a whole "grow into unspeakable abominations" plus the background fluff tends to mostly be fun. If nothing else though they do make excellent opponents.

I mean, hell, they've got an entire section devoted towards acting like an evil overlord to deal with penalties and bonuses.

HairyHeretic

I've played Solars and Lunars. I'd be interested in playing a Sidereal or Abyssal, maybe even a Dragonblood. Infernals and Alchemicals never did it for me.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Blinks

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 10, 2010, 07:03:48 PM
I've played Solars and Lunars. I'd be interested in playing a Sidereal or Abyssal, maybe even a Dragonblood. Infernals and Alchemicals never did it for me.

Alchemicals i find tend to suffer more from the "add-on" feel than anyone else. Even Lunars. Infernals make excellent opponents. I feel probarbly more so than Abyssals. I generally tend to feel that anything you can pull off with an Abyssal you could likely manage with a Solar. Infernals though are very much "something else" rather than a broken mirror.

MikeH5

I've only run 3rd edition, whgich due to poor book design gave my new players headaches. 4th edition is utterly wonderful though.

Cold Heritage

I'd love Exalted more if . . . well, there's tons they could change and I'd love it more, but the rules. Man, those rules.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

AtlasEros

Quote from: meikle on November 09, 2010, 09:26:13 PM
Should totes look into 3e!  It is all the stuff that is good about 2e and then better
Sounds good, I've just learned the 2nd rules, so it'll likely be a while before we get to 3rd but I'm open to it.
O/O

AtlasEros

Quote from: Valerian on November 10, 2010, 01:11:26 PM
I've played... uh, lots and lots of systems.  Heh.  I learned on 2nd edition D&D, then tried GURPS and decided that was the system for me; but since I'm always willing to try a new system, I've since played everything from Chill to Toon.  (Not Exalted, though, I'm afraid -- I just don't know anyone local who plays that.)

But I have a regular Saturday game, where we're currently figuring out how to break the GM's homebrew system into little pieces.  AKA playtesting it.  :D
Love your avatar, great pic.  I too started on AD&D & have played both Chill & Toon.  I actually liked both of those games.  Only played chill once, at a Con but I like horror games & it was fun.
O/O