The Twin Kingdoms of Zagzys and Bergovia [AD&D]

Started by The Great Triangle, February 14, 2010, 04:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

The twin kingdoms of Zagzys and Bergovia are a constantly shifting land in conflict, marked by frequent war and open vendetta, and relative isolation from the rest of the world.  Ogres and Dragons threaten from the north, Lizardmen threaten from the south, Pirates threaten from the east, and Orcs threaten from the western deserts.  No town feels safe without the rulership of a strong lord, but some towns just need a hero.  And you can be that hero.

This game will be set in the same world as my Feudal Conflict game, focusing on high level leaders and administrators, and be about the exploits of mid level adventurers, trying to make their way in the world, and protect what they find precious. 

The game will use a variant of the First Edition rules of AD&D, (advanced dungeons & dragons) which I've set up here.  The rules differ in several signifigant ways from first edition, most notably changes in how AC is calculated, the addition of several classes, and a complete overhaul of the combat rules.  Those familiar with AD&D should find the rules comfortable enough, however.

Characters will start the game with 25,000xp and 4,000gp, which is generally enough to acheive 5th or 6th level,  depending on class.  Given that there are lots of lords who need troubleshooting around, starting at 1st level is also a viable option,  though your character will be dangerously vulnurable, and likely be a sidekick for a higher level character.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Anathanasia

I'm interested in learning more...

I'm not so interested in the kingdom management stuff (I like to focus on one character only kinda thing), but this might be cool.

Mainly, I'm most interested in what sort of sexual content to expect? I don't actually need it to happen often; it doesn't need to be central or anything. But I would like what little there is to be catering to my kinks. Please take a look at my OnOs and let me know if you think we'd be a good match, please?

As a note, I don't have any 1e books anymore, but I am familiar with every edition of DnD. I'm sure I remember enough to make a go of it, especially as you're making changes anyways.

Thanks! :)
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

National Acrobat

I think I'd be more interested in this aspect of the game as well, with a bit more freedom to adventure. I am very familiar with 1E, and still have all of the books on my dusty shelf.

The Great Triangle

Sex will show up occasionally.  Usually as consensual sex between adventuring companions, but occasionally as monster rape if your character screws up very badly during an adventure.  Mind control is fairly common, and occasionally used as a source of rape.  Monsters also occasionally force themselves on adventurers and sell them into slavery if they surrender, but on an OOC level, you can always arrange for your character to be rescued or have your character die.

I will be running the game in NC/E along with the other game, although I don't forsee an EXTREMELY dark tone for the games.  It will very much be a house rule that any PC striking a killing blow on another PC can choose to subdue the PC instead.  (pvp may very well be an element though.)

Ons and Offs

Anathanasia

Colour me interested, then! :D

Now I just need to think up a cool adventurer type, so I'm off to peruse your modded rules now...

Anything we should know going on, or should we be just getting characters to you, TGT? PM or posted in here? Wait for a game thread to come up?

The Great Triangle

I'm going to create a wiki page for the game fairly soon, and you can post your characters there.  Until then, you can PM me characters, and I can check them and make sure everything is above board.

Ons and Offs

National Acrobat

I'll PM you tomorrow with an idea or two. I am partial to Illusionists and Clerics, and would most likely pick one of those two, illusionist taking preference if the rolls merit it. I'll PM you tomorrow am after rolling some dice.

Ixy

I, too, will have you a concept soon, and then get to work on the stats.  I'm interested in a few ideas, and haven't yet settled on one (I know, big surprise, right?!  Ix can't make up her mind!) if you'll have me.  I'm thinking either a barbarian/necromancer (madness!), a ranger (mundaneness!), or a magic-user (wtf am I thinking?!).

WyzardWhately

I can tell you for sure that Korrok, Mage-King of Breezeport, will be seeking adventurers to help find and destroy a secret temple to Cthulhu.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Anathanasia

Argh, just remembered one thing that never made sense to me in 1e, no elven rangers or druids...wtf?! :P

I was thinking of the iconic elven ranger for a 1e game, so old school, but I think that was something we houseruled in our campaigns here. No matter...I'll maybe do an acrobat instead. Thief types can always get into so much trouble, lol. ;)

The Great Triangle

Elves in 1e have a bit more of a magic tolkien focus than their later nature-ey focus.  Rangers are actually an iconic human class in 1e, since they basically steal a little bit from every possible sort of class.

Thieves in general are pretty good at starting trouble, it's definately true. 

I might also note that Barbarian/Magician will tend to be a pretty weak combination since barbarians can't use magic arms and armor, which precludes the use of magic wands, staves, and rods, as well as most AC increasing items.  It is certainly a playable option though, if you don't mind using your huge stock of hp to soak the amount of damage you'll be liable to take.  (I'm not allowing the armor spell for any class, so magicians in general will be a bit hard up for AC)  A really good roll for attributes would make quite a frightening character. 

Ons and Offs

Anathanasia

But, Legolas...he's always been as much a DnD ranger as Strider was. :P

I'm actually thinking of an old favorite, considering how cool it might be to try in a game where you could very well wind up working for PC rulers and rolling an assassin...so I have to ask (I firmly expect a 'no', but no harm in asking, right?) any chance you'd extend the 1e races choices to the Unearthed Arcana and allow drow, TGT?

No? Oh well, had to ask, lol...I'll probably get you something of a full proposal sometime tomorrow, TGT. :)

The Great Triangle

I'd allow dark elves, but only as a cosmetic alteration to the existing elven racial template.  Their culture is a bit more chaotic and evil, and they tend to live underground.  Dark Elves who don't venture into the sunlight have pure white skin, 50% magic resistance, and the ability to use the spell like abilities common to their race.  Coming in contact with sunlight burns a drow's skin pure black, eliminates the blessings of their demonic patrons, and leaves them blind for several days.  Naturally, drow are often sold into slavery during this time.

Ons and Offs

Kate

If any wish to be part of my nation or followers i am happy to accept :)
(you can be one of the ones that is listed or another of your liking - feel free to choose one of the look-links if you adore them unless you prefer another

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=60319.msg2742715#msg2742715

National Acrobat

Anathanasia

Quote from: The Great Triangle on February 16, 2010, 04:09:51 AM
I'd allow dark elves, but only as a cosmetic alteration to the existing elven racial template.  Their culture is a bit more chaotic and evil, and they tend to live underground.  Dark Elves who don't venture into the sunlight have pure white skin, 50% magic resistance, and the ability to use the spell like abilities common to their race.  Coming in contact with sunlight burns a drow's skin pure black, eliminates the blessings of their demonic patrons, and leaves them blind for several days.  Naturally, drow are often sold into slavery during this time.

It's always been the aesthetic and the culture that's been more important to me than the numbers here anyways (been fan since drow were just a single entry in the Fiend Folio, 'matriarchal theocracy of evil black skinned elves worshiping a demon spider goddess?! Where do I sign up!?'...and that series of modules). The twist of having them start pale feels a little odd - okay, makes more sense scientifically, but this is a fantasy game and they are elves - but whatever, I can deal with it.

Are the drow otherwise more or less the same, culturally speaking, TGT? Lolth or no lolth? Matriarchal? Devious, cruel, backstabbing hedonists?

The Great Triangle

No Lolth, but they worship three chief dieties:  Hecate, the chaotic good goddess of secrets and magic, Lovitar, the neutral goddess of vengeance, and Tlazolet, the Neutral evil goddess of lust.  The drow believe that Baphomet is female, and place the three goddesses in a covey.  The influence of Hecate gives the drow more good tendancies than is usual, but collectively they have a very decadent and cruel culture.   (just one where the slaves might get a chance to become free by learning magic and spying on their masters) 

Drow society is indeed matriarchal, due in part to extremely low fertility rates in Drow women.  Women in Drow society may take any man as their lover, and males are expected to provide sexually for any woman who asks.  Quite often, an established Drow woman will have a stable of studs which she lays with nightly, often indulging in torture and perversion to sate her appetites.  After passing childbearing age, a Drow woman is expected to retire from sexual activity and become a priest, becoming one of the leaders of her community.  Homosexual liasons between Drow women are considered taboo, except in the context of rape, which is an accepted way of showing dominance.  Drow men who cannot perform sexually or otherwise displease their mistresses, are subject to a number of horrific tortures, and will usually be castrated and enslaved if they cannot or will not serve.

The Drow economy is based on exploitation of the other cultures of the underdark.  When they can, Drow enslave dwarves in large numbers, and also rely on Orcs and Trolls for sources of the slavery that drives their economy.  Drow are some of the best beings in the world at the arts of bondage and torture, exceeded only perhaps by particularly experienced demons.  (though the drow summon demons to help make up the difference)  Drow launch frequent raids against the surface, particularly to get hold of exotic surface spices, meats, and fruits, and to abduct sylvan creatures, who are some of the most valuable chattel a drow can acquire. 

The pale drow aren't really representative of the species, just the funky magical exemplars.  Such creatures usually occupy the higher levels in Drow society, and are almost unheard of anywhere near the surface.  Many drow communities have bylaws prohibiting a dark drow from taking a position of leadership in the community, and thus the majority of the population are taken up to the surface during very early childhood.  The fact that Drow quite often find pale skin more beautiful when tortured is another good reason to give up some magic in exchange for political safety and ability to travel the surface.  Later in life, the glass ceiling that dark elves face causes them to seek opportunities on the surface, though by custom and long tradition, without the benefits of adamantine and drow poison.  (sorry for all the changes, but I really really hate the drizzt drow loner PC type, and want to have a good explanation for drow adventurers that gives them something more to play with than angst.)

Ons and Offs

Anathanasia

Yeah, I hate Drizzt too. Took all the focus away from the properly evil drow...I usually kept things in homegrown settings different enough from the FR archetype so that different races mingled more. Even the more 'civil' evil humanoids like hobgoblins could be found in and around the lands and kingdoms of the more typically 'good' races.

Otherwise I don't mind the changes. I always kinda liked Lolth (I like spiders, they are so neat!), so I'll miss her, but otherwise I think that sounds pretty good. And just because sleeping with other drow women is taboo, doesn't mean it doesn't happen... ;)

I think I'll work on getting something going with that idea, then, drow and assassin. I guess I can be a mid-level freelancer, which just might get me working for one or more of the PCs in the big kingdom game. It's a cool idea, be interesting to see how it all plays out. :)

Any chance I could ask you to look up assassin for me and let me know what level she'll be with the experience you're giving us, TGT? I think I can figure out everything else from the info you've provided, just need her level to start with.

Ixy

Regarding ability scores: should we opt to roll, are we bound to the frist set of 6, or do we get a best out of 3 tries?  Because I'm not concerned about having particularly high-power, but a 3 in ANY score is just crippling-- I wouldn't even know how to roleplay a character with intelligence or charisma 3 except to dribble every smile or be exceptionally repulsive to be around.  Would a character of strength 3 be able to dress themselves without help?  at con 3, could the character potentially die of a common cold?

Just wondering!

The Great Triangle

An Assassain with 25,000xp is level 6, with about 500xp to spare.  (lucky you) 

As for rolling ability scores, you are stuck with the first set you roll, but you can always opt for a 66 point buy, as many of the players who have already submitted characters have done.  A stat of 3 is crippling, but not unplayable. 

A character with a strength of 3 cannot wear armor heavier than leather, and must wield specialy made lightweight weapons, but is otherwise unencumbered. 

A character with a dexterity of 3 is always tripping over himself, and extremely unlucky and uncoordinated.  Such a character might still make a reasonably good fighter or priest.

A character with a constitution of 3 basically has a chronic terminal medical condition, though they'll live longer with the aid of magic.

A character with an intelligence of 3 is forest gump.

A character with a wisdom of 3 has an extremely skewed perception of reality, and tends to be easily influenced.  Think Edward Scissorhands, Michael Jackson, or pretty much and Johnny Depp character.

A character with a charisma of 3 either tends to be disfigured, or have a personality comprable to the average internet troll. 

Generally, if your character has any mental stat at 13 or higher, you can play the character in an intelligent and sophisticated way.  (assuming the character's background allows for that)

Characters with strength or dexterity 3 may be parapalegic, and characters with dexterity 3 tend to have severe sensory handicaps.  You won't get any immediate benefit for giving your characters serious flaws, but you will get more roleplaying experience over time, and of course being seriously flawed might make others underestimate your character.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

I've now got a game page for you guys to post your character sheets:

https://elliquiy.com/wiki/The_Twin_Kingdoms_of_Zagzys_and_Bergovia

Go ahead and click on the relevant link to adventurer characters, write your character's name in brackets, then save changes and click on your character's name.  That will bring you to your character's page, where you can post your character sheet.  I'll clean up the formatting when I get time, and make sure everything is above board. 

If you don't want to divulge your character's secrets, go ahead and leave strategically placed things out of your character sheet, as long as the GM is aware of them.

Ons and Offs

Ixy

okay... gonna try this once, in the hopes that it doesn't bite me in the ass.  I'll use the E dicebot because I love it so much, and that way there's no doubt because you can view my rolls here and mock me later.
Results are 15, 13, 13, 11, 9, 7.  Looks like the necro-barbarian is out.  That makes me a little sad, but I'll live.  ;)  so straight-up fighter for now, or barbarian?  I'd like to keep it very, very simple for now.

The Great Triangle

Remember that by 1e standards those aren't bad stats.  I've removed the class trait minimums, so you can pretty much play anything you want.  Since those rolls only add up to 68, you might also be better off with a 66 point buy.  (you will pretty much only be getting an advantage in one area with that stat line though)

Ons and Offs

Anathanasia

I rolled my own dice (computerized random number generation hates me for some reason...) and came with a decent set...16, 14, 14, 14, 10, 9

But all those 14s in 1e are like missed opportunities, aren't they? lol. Not hugely different from a 9 or 10, and just shy of those precious, precious +1s, hehe. Makes them almost more painful than low rolls! ;)

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Anathanasia on February 16, 2010, 10:50:11 PM
I rolled my own dice (computerized random number generation hates me for some reason...) and came with a decent set...16, 14, 14, 14, 10, 9

But all those 14s in 1e are like missed opportunities, aren't they? lol. Not hugely different from a 9 or 10, and just shy of those precious, precious +1s, hehe. Makes them almost more painful than low rolls! ;)

There's a few places they matter (system shock rolls, I think?), and everything is nice when you may have to make attribute rolls. 

The removal of attribute minimums is nice, I hadn't been aware of that.  It's especially great for me, because I was planning on building a state orphanage to raise dozens of ultra-loyal ninja-bureaucrats.  It'll be nice to actually be able to have them be the monk class, with the background skills of forensic accountants.  And if you don't think having a team of deadly accountant-inquisitors at your disposal is awesome, then I can only say you aren't sufficiently familiar with trying to run a bureaucracy...

...but in the meantime, I would still like to hire adventurers.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/