Looking to get into a 3.5 Eberron game [UN]

Started by Kunoichi, November 11, 2009, 12:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katina Tarask

Hm.  Go MoMF, burn some gold to get an extra feat, take Class Training three times and Capstone Training once, advancing Wild Shape and getting large/giant form, then romp around as a dire bear.  Brutal.  Effective.  Not very hard to break.

TheGlyphstone

...I'm completely lost, sorry. Class Training improves your existing class feature (in this case, Invocations) to the point where it increases in power - but is that from 6th to 8th (+1 total invocations) or from 6th to 11th (Lesser Invocations to Greater Invocations, with the accompanying increase in number known).

The first option would require being able to take the feat multiple times, since Invocations Known improves at 8th, 10th, and 11th level (when I can take a Greater Invocation).

The second option, combined with leaving the feat as unable to stack with itself, would be fine - I can't imagine needing more than 7 invocations, 1 of which would be Greater, 2 of which would be Lesser, and 4 of which would be Least. If I really needed more, Extra Invocation lets me get another one of any grade lower than my highest, so another Lesser or Least.

The Great Triangle

You could take it for either +1 Total Invocation or Lesser to Greater Invocations.  It's an exception to the rule that spellcasting cannot be improved by the feat since invocations are spell like abilities granted by class features.  (or at least close enough for my mind) 

Master of Many forms to dire bear seems perfectly okay to me, if a lbit ike something that would offend the Gatekeepers and other druids a little.  (where do you expect all these dire animals come from?  :-) )  Breaking your character isn't something you should put a lot of time in though, since my GMing style has always been to reward good roleplaying, quite often mechanically by letting players break rules that put them at least on the same level as optomizers.  (the basic philosophy is that an optomizer and an exceptional roleplayer are both putting a lot of time and effort into the game, but the roleplayer is doing something that makes the game more fun for other players, and should be mechanically rewarded.)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

The dire bear thing was an example of what could be done with the ruling, not a plan for what I actually intend to do.  I'm sure there's worse available, but I'm probably not going to do a vast amount of digging.  I just need to nail down something I really want to play.

Other than Warforged Tantrist. :P

I am tempted to run another Artificer, but I already have two in two different games.

I don't suppose we could get Book of Erotic Fantasy added to the list for incidentals?  Reverse Gender is, like, my favorite spell ever.

The Great Triangle

Consider Book of Erotic Fantasy and Netbook of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge added to the available list of supplements.  You'll need to provide writeups of anything you take from those two though, since I don't have access to them.

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

The GUCK's in, too?  Whew... that has some totally ridiculous stuff I could have fun with.  I may have to go Wizard or Sorceress.  *Doesn't mention the feat that could let her cast Geas as a third-level spell.*

What's your ruling on the price on adding extra spells to a Wizard's spellbook?  The 50gp*Spell Level?

The Great Triangle

50gp x spell level sounds about right.  You'll also need to pay for a scroll of each spell you scribe or spend the money for a library of magic of the spell level you want.  The Educated feat enables you to have free access to a spell library full of spells up to the third level. 

Netbook of uck tends to be pretty silly, but I'll allow players to use rules from  should they want to.  These things can be considered to be part of the setting, but are generally regarded as silly.  Still, dragons probobly know how to cast some of these spells, and might even have levels in the incredibly stupid erotic prestiege classes.   

(it can be found here: http://carnal.orfinlir.de/)

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

Actually, the standard 50g*spell level is to obviate the scroll; that's the cost a friendly wizard charges to copy a spell from their spellbook rather than your buying the scroll.

Though I may have a better idea.  Beguiler.  After all, it's better to know your higher-level spells automatically than to go shopping for 'em.  Toss-up among human, changeling, and aasimar.

The Great Triangle

Ah, my mistake.  In that case, you can pay for the spells or pay up front to have a spell library or be a university graduate.

Aasimar doesn't fit the Eberron setting terribly well, but mostly because the celestials don't really do much in setting.  (the rekkenmark certainly wouldn't run away a qualified Aasimar though)

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

Mind if I just swap the Beguiler casting stat over to charisma?  It is the inferior casting stat, after all.  And how flexible are you with class skills?

And what's your stance on using Mindbender (Complete Arcane, page 55) telepathy to qualify for Mindsight (Lords of Madness: The Book of Aberrations, page 126).  Cool feat, but kinda crazy-powerful.  But being able to detect every mind within a hundred feet automatically plays quite well to being the team scout.

The Great Triangle

I'll let you have either Beguiler casting as charisma, or telepathy to qualify for mindsight. 

Both at once don't work together thematically, since being so charismatic that you can sense the minds of everyone around doesn't quite fit together as well as being smart enough to read the presence of minds.  :-)  Also, your mindsight will be limited to the range of your telepathy or 100 feet, whichever is less.

Ons and Offs

TheGlyphstone

Okay, cool. So as my three 6th level feats (1 for 6th level, 2 for bonus XP), I can take Class Training once to get Greater Invocations, then take Class Training twice more to actually learn two Greater Invocations. Or, if I'm limited to one Greater Invocation, take it one more to learn a Greater Invocation, then have a feat slot free.

Current build is looking at a Warlock 5/Binder 1. Fluffwise, he is a Warforged Mk.VII Experimental Modular Combat Unit, the prototype test unit for a special variant Warforged made by Merric d'Cannith. It'll call itself 'Mark' as a name, and be equipped with a large assortment of plug-in modules to match its current mission parameters. Yay refluffing!

The Great Triangle

Sounds good.  You're limited to just one greater invocation, the way the feats are written, and I'll hold you to that.  (although you can retrain your greater invocation in 8 hours for 1,000 xp)   Merrix isn't Karrnathi, but he's still crazy enough he could have sold one of his favorite/craziest designs to the Rekkenmark in exchange for more gold to do his blasphemous experiments. 

Still, if Mark starts malfunctioning, expect to have to track down Merrix's secret forge in Sharn to figure out what's going wrong.  :-)   (note: this isn't a punishment, just a plot hook)

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

Actually, Mindsight is explicitly keyed off of the telepathy range used to qualify, which is the Mindbender's 100' in this case.  Anyways, if it's one or the other, I choose intelligence with Mindsight.  (Though I would point to the Wilder for charisma-based brainomancy.  Or the Bard.  Or an enchantment-centric Sorcerer.)

Intelligence gives me gobs of skill points anyways.  I'll need those skills to stay useful against the mindless.  And as much as I want the bonus feat, I think I'll go with changeling.  I like changelings.

PhantomPistoleer

Okay!  My question is this:

The first level of the Cavalier class gets as its special features Special Mount, Mounted Weapon Bonus (Lance) +1, Ride Bonus +2 and Courtly knowledge.

Now, am I wrong in assuming that it would take four different feats to acquire all of these features?  If that's the case, do I pick up all four aspects and then move up to second level special features?

Also, is it possible to pick up prestige class traits from a number of prestige classes?  How?

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Works for me. :)

I suppose Class Training (Bind Vestige) is my next best option, for extra flexibility.

Would you allow the Fiendish Codexes as source material? Hellfire Warlock would be an awesome target for Prestige Training and Capstone Training.

The Great Triangle

Clarifications to book of erotic fantasy and netbook of uck material:

There is no appearance stat.  Appearance has no mechanical underpinnings, and anything that uses appearance uses charisma instad.  (though not vice versa)

The sex rules in the netbook of uck are strictly optional, for if you would like to roll dice while having sex.

There are no called shots, and therefore no "rack rule"

Chaste Virgins may not worship the Mockery.

Kundala must follow the Path of Light.

Disciple of Auluran class becomes the Disciple of Olladra class.

Divine Celibates must worship Dol Arrah.

Frenzied Disciples must be Seren Barbarians or Talenta Halflings.

Knot Binder of Kaladis class becomes the Knot Binder of Boldrei OR Knot Binder of Onatar class.

Sacred Prostitutes are not required to have minimum abilities or the sexually open society feet, but must worship Arwai, Kol Korran, the Keeper, or The Mockery.  Sacred prostitutes of the Mockery are required to be hideous in appearance.

Deities and Religions gain the following domains:

Arwai, Goddess of Love and Fertility:  Body, Sex, Midwifery
Auron, God of Knowledge: none   
Balinor, God of Nature: none
Boldrei, Goddess of Order:  Joining
Dol Arrah, Goddess of Sun, Sacrifice, and Chastity:  Denial
Dol Dorn, God of War and freedom:  None
Kol Korran, God of Wealth and Patron God of Prostitutes:  None
Olladra, Goddess of Luck and Pleasure:   Pleasure
Onatar, God of Fire and Forge:   Joining

The Devourer, God of Destruction and the Ocean, patron god of vorephiles:  None
The Fury, God of Rage, patron god of rapists:  Body, Sexual Domination
The Keeper, God of Death, patron god of pimps:  Joining, Sexual Domination
The Mockery, Goddess of Bloodshed and Betrayal, patron goddess of sadomasochists:  Body, Denial, Perversion, Seduction, Sex
The Shadow, Goddess of Magic and Meyhem, patron goddess of voyeurs:  Voyeur, Seduction
The Traveler, God of Chaos and Change, patron god of xenophiles:  Perversion, Seduction

The Silver Flame:   Denial

The Path of Light:  Body

Cult of the Dragon Below:   Body, Perversion, Midwifery

Names of the 13 Dark Rajahs:  (names in parenthisis are common alternate names)

Eldrantulku: (Eldranoth): Thought to be associated with the Daelkyr.  Fertility goddess turned to 12.
Glirjitsu (Graz'zt): Somewhat similar to Eldrantulku, corrupts societies from the inside.  Rajah patron of spies.
Jukuvex (Jubilex): Demon Lord of legendary hunger and agression.  Rajah patron of
Kashtarak: Name appears on dragon below scrolls, but nothing is known.
Kul Eshkifix (Ebulon): Air Lord of Elemental Evil
Kul Puashka (Pazuzu): Fire Lord of Elemental Evil
Kul Jaxinex (Azazel): Water Lord of Elemental Evil
Kul Jexifig (Eereshkigal): Earth Lord of Elemental Evil
Krakasha (Kostchtchie): Demon Lord of travel and fortune.
Oreshka (Orcus): Demon patron of the Yaun Ti.
Pezu Nekawa (Mephistopheles): Demon Lord of deals and pacts.
Vijixka (Vucarik): Demon Lord of arcane magic.

Names of the 6 Daelkyr Lords:

Dyrrnm, the Corruptor, Mightiest of All Daelkyr, Creator of Dolgaunts and Dolgrims, Who Lies Below, True Lord of the Eldeen Reaches.

Belashyrra, the Great Mother, Lord of Eyes, Creator of Beholders, Who Can Look Through the Eyes Of Any Living Creature.

Orlassk, the Master of Stone, Who Made Medusas and Basilisks, Whose Citadel Prowls the Depths.

Kyrzin, Prince of Slime and Ooze, Who Lives Beneath the Shadow Marches, Whose Corrupting Touch Created All Aboleths.

Illsensine, Sultan of All Minds, who created Illithids and Neogi alike, Whose Infinite Knowledge Spreads Madness Across the Planes.

Ghanadaur, The Patient One, Soveirgn of Darkness, Who formed Grell and Tsochar from the shadows.

Ons and Offs

TheGlyphstone

Choosing invocations now.

Could I combine the Eldritch Glaive invocation with Paimon's Dance of Death ability?

Ixy

Alright.  Two concepts... I'm a little infatuated with them both, for the moment.  I'm looking for development opportunities for these characters, so if you have suggestions, please share them, privately or publicly.  I would really appreciate it.

1) Drow Warmage, Fighter (don't hit me), or Necromancer
Her tribe having been driven into the ground by degenerate giants, this character's young life in Xen'drik would have been deeply traumatic.  She'd leave via the port at Stormreach in an attempt to escape "survivor's shame" and seek out the "civilized" world of Khorvaire.  She would have been actively recruited for academy training by a group of Karrnathian agents who recognized the potential of the young drow's innate abilities; in any case, they'd be attracted to the possibility of a drow ally in the event of expeditions deeper into the Xen'drik continent, but she'd also have the potential of military talent in any of the aforementioned classes-- it's a nation that relies on undead to add backbone to its military, every army needs magic artillery, and who couldn't use an extra slag-happy swordswoman?

The reason I'm vacillating in regard to the class is that the concept and personality could work for just about anything.  I want her to be Neutral in alignment, detached emotionally from others, a talented agent but a bit sadistic (though not randomly so).  She'd possess a clear moral code that doesn't easily fall into 'good' or 'evil', and take great pleasure from libertine acts of rebellion, dominance, subversion of authority, or just plain fun.

2) Halfling Barbarian
Just as suggested earlier.  I'm not terribly clear on how to bring a new twist to this concept-- the 'little pistol/big bang' cliche.  She'd be overcompensating, passionate and loyal to a fault, mindful of her behavior but easily swayed by her temperament.   I know it's shallow, but I want whatever character I try to play to be sexy, too, and I have a hard time accepting halflings as such... even nowadays, when they're basically human of reduced stature and build, I think I might find the concept a little freaky if the size difference is too pronounced.  A similar concept, though with less comedic results and ability 'uniqueness' would be to play this concept with a medium character who's just quite petite-- elven, human, half-elven, tiefling, etc.  I'm not as clear on how they'd fit into the world, though, but I'm working on it.

Forgive the 'spam' here.  I'm just excited about the setting and the group coming together, so I'd like to be involved and I'm WAY over my head mechanically.

Katina Tarask

I'd advise against a necromancer for the simple reason that you can't really be a necromancer.  At least, not in the minion sense.  Animate Dead is fourth-level, so unless you use a lot of rituals, it's out of bounds.  Otherwise, Rebuke Undead is your only source of minions.

Warmage takes work.  The class has a nasty habit of sucking.  Pick yourself a good spell for Arcane Thesis (PHB2) and it can give you an advance in damage that actually matters.  Though I'd suggest Wu Jen (Complete Arcane) instead; a fire Wu Jen with Arcane Thesis: Fireball could have a CL10 Fireball, then apply Searing Spell at no cost to bypass oh-so-common fire resistance/immunity.

Fighter doesn't get anything from being drow.  A more martial Rogue or a Warblade would be better suited for capitalizing on the drow's benefits.

For the Barbarian, you so totally need a badass riding dinosaur.  Grabbing Whirling Frenzy and Shadow Blade would be a good idea to make up for halflings' shortcomings as Barbarians.

Kunoichi

*opens up the ECS*

QuoteBarbarian

Despite the advanced civilization that dominates Khorvaire, barbarians live in several places both on that continent and in nearby lands.  Human, orc, and half-orc barbarians emerge from the Shadow Marches and Demon Wastes.  Halfling barbarians ride the Talenta Plains.  Human, half-elf, and shifter barbarians fill the Eldeen Reaches, and isolated groups of elf, dwarf, and even gnome barbarians live there as well.  Darguun harbors some bugbear barbarians, and Droaam is home to barbarians of other monstrous species.  Some of the wilder warforged that roam the Mournlands take up the barbarian class as well.

Beyond Khorvaire, tribes of human barbarians live on the northern shores of Argonessen and the nearby island of Seren, serving the dragons they revere.  Finally,stories abound of children stranded in Xen'drik and raised by wild beasts or savage humanoids, giving rise to another source for barbarian characters.

Ixy

I appreciate it.  Hopefully, I'll have something solid by this weekend.

The Great Triangle

Yay, I posted teh OOC thread! 

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=52661.msg2445588#msg2445588

There's also a character sheet and xp thread, if you can find where it has been carefully hidden.  I'm intending to run the game with a main game thread limit of 10 posts per player per week, though in character threads you can do 1 on 1 type activity to your heart's content.  The way I'm running the game, 1 post should equal 1 round of combat, which should keep things moving reasonably briskly.

I may or may not have initiative rolled every round.  It's a rule which is superbly clunky in tabletop, but works well online.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Some thoughts on various cultures in Eberron and sexuality:

The Five Nations:

Karrnath:

Monogamy and marriage are a very strong tradition in Karrnath.  The Blood of Vol took that tradition and cranked it up to 11, adding the theme that sexual domination was the best way to ensure monogamy.  The Blood didn't exclusively advocate the domination of men over women, but men tended to end up on top most of the time.  Bondage gear such as handcuffs, nipple clamps, bit gags, spider gags, butt plugs and chastity belts are widely available in Karrnath, though one typically has to go to the local temple of Vol or less reputable tanners to get them.  Owning bondage gear is considered shameful in Karrnathi society if one is not married, though couples are often given a generous amount of sex toys at their wedding.  Openly displaying such objects, even for a married individual, is often considered an open declaration of membership in the semi illegal religion of the Blood of Vol. 

Contraception is widely available in Karrnath, but very underground.  Every child in Karrnath is taught where you can go to get contraception in Karrnath around puberty.  (usually through various midwives living on the fringe of society.)  A woman in Karrnath who becomes pregnant out of wedlock either has her wedding discreetly scheduled, or it prevailed upon to drink an extremely large dose of poison.  If a Karrnathi woman has to do this, the father of the child, if he can be found, will be challenged to a duel by her most martially inclined relative.

To bear a bastard in Karrnath is unthinkable, due to the value Karrns place on ancestry.  Bastard children are quite often abandoned, although goblin tribes, shifters, traveling circuses, and various cults tend to take in the steady stream of Karrnathi bastards.  Karrnath has no orphanages.  If both parents of a child die, the child is transferred to relatives.  Karrnathi genealogy is sufficiently in depth that about 2/3rds of the nation would have to die before children wouldn't have anywhere to go.  Adopting an orphan is considered an honor.

Homosexuality is considered very normal and healthy in Karrnathi society.  Children are encouraged that homosexual sex is completely without risk of pregnancy, and homosexual relationships among the young are generally looked upon as positive.  Homosexuality in Karrnath is most closely associated with the military.  Within the enlisted ranks, soldiers are kept in gender segregated units, but allowed to engage in homosexual acts on their own time.  An individual over the age of 40 who is not married will generally be assumed to be homosexual in Karrnathi society. 

Xenophilia is frowned upon in Karrnath, though it is much remarked upon.  Having a non human in one's ancestry is considered a mark of shame, but also quite often becomes a public fact.  Karrnath has an emerging class of shame generated by people who copulated with the undead during the reign of the Blood of Vol.  (Many types of undead can have children, although the risk of birth defects is high.  Such children often have an affinity for blood, extremely pale skin, and persistently poor vital signs.) 

Thrane:

Thrane is a highly monogamous society, much like Karrnath.  However, the Thranish do not value Mairrage so much as they value romance.  Mutual affection and love between two people are considered the highest romantic ideal of Thrane, and the literature of the nation resounds with stories of star crossed lovers traveling the world together.  The Church of the Silver Flame recommends abstinence, but accepts the value of a deep sexual bond.  Sex toys are not generally available in Thrane, but the nation does have some of the most erotica and practical nonfiction on the subject of sex of any nation on Khorvaire.

Homosexual relationships are condoned by the Church of the Silver Flame, but homosexuals often encounter prejiduce in some of the less dense parts of Thrane.  Many heretical sub sects of the Church of the Silver Flame pervert the holy texts to prosecute homosexuals, though the Paladins of the Church do what they can to minimize these persecutions.  Most homosexuals in Thrane keep their love discreet, sometimes even declining to marry, for fear of prejiduce.

Aundair:

Aundair is sometimes called the "land of a thousand delights."  Of all the people on Khorvaire, the Aundairians have put the most effort into using magic to improve their sexual experience, and have accomplished some truly impressive feats of mystically enabled hedony.  The general attitude of the Aundairians is that anything goes for the young and beautiful, and the nation notably does not criminalize any form of xenophilia.  An Aundairian noble is expected to eventually settle down and marry, but this can wait until his land holdings are running well and highly efficient. 

Aundair is a fairly heteronormative society, blanching at the homosexual military tradition of Karrnath, the romantic ideals of Thrane, and the flamboyant gay culture of Breland.  Homosexuals in Aundair are looked down upon as uncivilized brutes, and one can be thrown out of any number of Aundairian secondary schools for even suspected homosexual tendencies.  Aundairians' negative impression of homosexuals is guided principally by Karrnath's culture, and any discussion of homosexuality with an Aundairian is likely to become a referendum on Karrnath.

Breland:

The nation of Breland is notable for its practice of serial monogamy.  Honor, lineage, and dowry aren't factors in Brelish society, so the Brelish often marry and remarry willy nilly looking for happiness.  Having children out of wedlock is still frowned upon, but it's just another thing that people end up doing.  Breland has a very sexually open society in the big cities, with the biggest red light districts in all of Khorvaire.  Brelish sexuality is showy, flashy, and often incorporates toys.  The Brelish have imported rubber from Xen'drik, refined leathermaking to a truly fine art, and developed countless clever alchemical balms to improve sexual experience.

The gnomes of Zilargo are even more clever in their application of with and artifice to sexuality, and often sell their wares in Brelish (and world) markets.  The smiling gnomish sex toy merchant is a stock character in bawdy Brelish comedies, and the rest of the world blushes at the things Breland considers routine.  Through clever experiments with wax, the Brelish have even been able to make a material similar to latex for use in bedroom wear.   

Breland has a thriving gay culture, and homosexuals in Breland are known to greatly enrich the theater of the nation.  They aren't quite accepted, and the culture tends to influence people's perceptions of homosexuality across Khorvaire, but most Brelish homosexuals consider themselves better off than their counterparts in Karrnath, who are viewed by society as being in a state of permanent adolescence. 

Ons and Offs

Ixy

aaaalright... I have a very rough draft of a Halfling Barbarian.  Without many texts, it's difficult to proceed with confidence, so thank you for your patience.  I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

1) Are Bloodstrikers too big for a halfling to use as a mount?  Would you prefer/recommend a clawfoot or some such?
2) Do the same formulas from the 3.5 players' guide/SRD apply to monetary cost of enhanced magical properties on Eberron-based items?
3) How hung up are we on Charisma's relation to Appearance again?  I know you mentioned it, I just wanted to clarify.  It's fantasy, damnit, and I want to play something shmexy.

I am still bandying about some other concepts, from espionage/government agent type to a half-giant barbarian (I know, I'm a dork.)  I just think a half-giant, half-drow with a REALLY fucked up early life in Xen'Drik would be fascinating to play... something about this setting just seems to pluck at the desire to do something darker, you know?  Not balls-out evil, per say, but definitely shadier characters, more complex motives, etc.