Can candy canes be unbent?

Started by Oniya, December 24, 2013, 01:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I have a box of standard canes, but what I want to do for a gift requires a straight stick - which I can't find, of course. 

Is it possible to somehow soften and unbend a standard cane into a stick?  Google hasn't helped.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caeli

I don't know about unbending the candy cane, but would it work if you simply chopped off the curved end? If you freeze the candy cane (to make it easier to cut) and then take it to a chopping board, I wonder if it would be possible to achieve a straight cut?

I actually purchased these peppermint stirring sticks from Williams-Sonoma for my gifts.  They worked really well, but I had to brave the mall to do it.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Oniya

It probably would - and absolute perfection isn't needed, I suppose.  (I've gotten the little Oni a Minecraft diamond pickaxe USB drive, and wanted to give her a 'sword' to go with it, some assembly required.  This will consist of two 'iron' ingots - silver-foil wrapped candy bars, and a 'stick' - the straight candy cane.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Caeli

That sounds adorable.  :-)  If the "cut" end of the candy cane is going into the ingot, it's probably better if it won't be a perfectly flat cut, anyway?  And I'm sure she'll enjoy it regardless.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Oniya

They aren't going to be stuck into the bars (the bars are too thin for that anyways) - it's more the idea/humor value/tie-in concepts. 

Jag

You can try to melt the hook off with a small flame or stir it in hot water. Or make your own candy sticks.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Crimson Caine

You can apparently bake it in the oven to warm them up to shape them.  I didn't think it was possible but apparently it is. ;D

http://candy.about.com/od/christmascandy/r/Candy-Cane-Shapes.htm
The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous and menacing. – Aleister Crowley
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread
CC's Disappearing Routine (A/A)

Oniya

Quote from: Crimson Caine on December 24, 2013, 02:33:03 PM
You can apparently bake it in the oven to warm them up to shape them.  I didn't think it was possible but apparently it is. ;D

Perfect!  I can fit them in after the challah and the gingerbread.  ;D

Beguile's Mistress

Candy canes are bent after they are wrapped but I would suggest removing the wrapping before warming them.  Waxed paper on the tray beneath the canes before they go in the over is also a good thing.

Caeli

Quote from: Crimson Caine on December 24, 2013, 02:33:03 PM

That's really cool!  Makes me think of some interesting DIY gifts for next year :)

Quote from: Oniya on December 24, 2013, 01:53:09 PM
They aren't going to be stuck into the bars (the bars are too thin for that anyways) - it's more the idea/humor value/tie-in concepts. 

I must be thinking of different ingot candies.  The chocolate ones we get during Chinese New Year's would be perfect to make a pickaxe, or the hilt of a sword.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Oniya

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on December 24, 2013, 03:24:25 PM
Candy canes are bent after they are wrapped but I would suggest removing the wrapping before warming them.  Waxed paper on the tray beneath the canes before they go in the over is also a good thing.

*nods*  That's all in the instructions at the link.

Quote from: Caeli on December 24, 2013, 03:27:22 PM
I must be thinking of different ingot candies.  The chocolate ones we get during Chinese New Year's would be perfect to make a pickaxe, or the hilt of a sword.

I just wrapped a couple of Dove cookies-n-cream bars in aluminum foil and wrote 'Iron' on them with a Sharpie.  I was looking for something a little thicker, but all the bars around here seem to be of the 'flat' variety.  (Cookies-n-cream is her favorite.)

BlindManDonny

Nessy

Quote from: Oniya on December 24, 2013, 01:27:48 PM
I have a box of standard canes, but what I want to do for a gift requires a straight stick - which I can't find, of course. 

Is it possible to somehow soften and unbend a standard cane into a stick?  Google hasn't helped.

Just for future endeavors, local candy stores, like the kind you find in historical districts often carry candy sticks year round.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

The Cracker Barrel restaurant chain always has candy sticks.

Oniya

*nods*  Normally, I'm able to find them at places like CVS this time of year - which was all I had available to me at the time.

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oniya

The stick ended up being a bit lumpy, but that was okay.  The first batch went completely flat, so I ended up dropping the oven temperature and the time for the second batch.  Those decided to crack a little when I went to unbend them, but cooperated with being squished together into a roughly cylindrical mass instead.

I wrapped the result in brown paper labelled 'Stick', alongside two Cookies-and-Cream bars wrapped in aluminum foil labelled 'Iron', and put them and the wrapped box with the pick USB in it in a larger box filled with packing peanuts.

The catch-phrase from this Christmas was 'I got a stick!'

(She loved it all!)

Caeli

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ