Pictures and search engines.

Started by Twisted Crow, May 20, 2020, 11:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

Seriously... how do I suck at them so much? How can I actually ever find what the hell I want?

I could look for 'martial arts women art'... what comes up? Pictures of real martial artists and random women breaking boards. No artistic drawings or paintings or anything.

I could search for 'ninja'... what comes up? Ninja the Fortnite player. Not, you know... anything actually Ninja.

I could search for martial arts anime... a bunch of random anime chicks (some may or may not be martial artists, but the anime tag just gets everything anime).

Picture-hunting is freaking frustrating, man...   ;D

Lovely Complex

Perhaps you could try Pinterest for searching for the images you want, if you haven't tried already. That's usually a good source.

I use Google images mostly. :) Need any further help, I'll see what I can do.
💋 On's & Off's 💋 F-List 💋

Twisted Crow

It is Pinterest that I am mainly using that gives me this problem. I mean, Google, as well.  :-\

Nymphadora

Deviant Art might be a good place to try as well... I haven't been on there much in ages so I could be way off now but thought I'd mention it just in case. :)
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Blythe

In addition to using the words 'martial arts' and 'art,' add in either 'wuxia' or 'xianxia,' and your results may improve, particularly with Pinterest. Gave me a few really nice images, at least!

RedPhoenix

General phrases just give results of sites that are trying to catch the searches from general phrases.

Use a more specific and nuanced phrase. Think of the style and medium you're looking for, and use a specific descriptor rather than a general term.

I just put in "chinese wuxia painting" and I got all sorts of really cool results.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Arkaniel

You can also add AND in capitals between words, preferably with the entire search sentence between “ “ marks, forcing the search engine to show only matches to all words you enter in the search field, narrowing down the results a whole lot. Don’t know if this works for things like Pinterest, but this is a general inbuilt search engine algorithm like for google.

Deviantart still has the biggest library of high quality art by many known web artists, or you can try and navigate patreon

Twisted Crow

A lot of these approaches have been helping pretty well, actually. Thanks, everyone! Picture hunting and searching has never been my strong suit on E.

Arkaniel

You can also always post requests in finders and seekers!

Marumor

Quote from: Arkaniel on May 22, 2020, 08:25:51 AM
You can also add AND in capitals between words, preferably with the entire search sentence between “ “ marks, forcing the search engine to show only matches to all words you enter in the search field, narrowing down the results a whole lot. Don’t know if this works for things like Pinterest, but this is a general inbuilt search engine algorithm like for google.

Deviantart still has the biggest library of high quality art by many known web artists, or you can try and navigate patreon
Similar to this, you can use - to exclude keywords. So you could, for example, search Google for:

Ninja -fortnite

Twisted Crow

Hmmm... I actually tested this, and it does seem to work for me in general searches (All)! I get stuff like Ninja Kitchen and YT videos like "Real Ninja reacts to Naruto", etc. But I still get Fortnite 'Ninja' in image searches.  :D

*shrugs*

The way I had to get around this (and get closer to what I'm looking for) was using the words 'Shinobi' or 'Kunoichi'.

Also, freaking Fortnite, man...  ::)