Another shitty cabinet nominee squeaks by in the Senate

Started by Teo Torriatte, February 07, 2017, 12:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teo Torriatte

And this was the worst one yet, imo.

Even the two supposed dissenters on the republican side was more of a sham. It seems pretty obvious that Collins and Mercowski got special permission to vote against DeVos, on the express condition that no other republicans break ranks.

Trump continues to act as if he has some kind of majority mandate to do whatever he wants. 2018 can't get here soon enough.

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Luna on February 07, 2017, 12:48:18 PM
2018 can't get here soon enough.

If the country survives that long. 

/sarcasm...mostly
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Valerian

A Handy List

These are all the senators who voted to confirm DeVos.  If you're one of their constituents, give them a call (contact info here) and let them know that they've lost your vote forever.

And remember this at your next local election.  There are primaries and other local / state elections that will be held before 2018, and those are more important than ever.  Democrats traditionally don't vote in off-year elections and the GOP is counting on that to carry them through.  But we can still give them a nasty shock if more people get out and vote.   >:)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Iniquitous

Wanna know how she got the position?  Here's your answer:  She bought the position.  Have enough money and you get whatever job you want, even if you are wholly and utterly unqualified for it.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/marco-rubio-took-almost-100-000-from-betsy-devos-family-before-confirming-her-today-9123691

and then this showed up on my facebook

Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Mithlomwen

Apparently the senator from my state said that all of the people calling his office to urge him not to vote in favor of her were, 'paid protesters'.  :/ 

I visited his site, and hohboy.....the backlash he is facing in response to that, and his vote in favor of Betsy will cost him the re-election in 2020.  People are PISSED.  He was basically bought for around 46,000 bucks. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Ryven

Both senators from my state were paid by and voted for her.  One is retiring anyway after this term, so I guess he really had nothing to lose.  The other, however, needs to gtfo next election.

Blythe

Quote from: Iniquitous on February 07, 2017, 09:13:32 PM
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/marco-rubio-took-almost-100-000-from-betsy-devos-family-before-confirming-her-today-9123691

Quote from: From the above article
“I have decided, however, to stop taking offense at the suggestion that we are buying influence,” DeVos told the New Yorker in November. “Now I simply concede the point. They are right... We expect a return on our investment.”

Wow. Just...wow. At least she's pretty much admitting she's buying influence and not only that, fully expects it to be effective. DeVos's a real piece of work. :/

Quote from: Iniquitous on February 07, 2017, 09:13:32 PM

Well, Inhofe was cheap. Ridiculously cheap. Then again, he probably would have voted to confirm DeVos regardless; he's not got a good track record on education. I'm sure he's quite the fan of DeVos and didn't need any encouraging.

Then again, I probably shouldn't be surprised that Inhofe dislikes education, given he wrote this little dreadful gem. Given Trump's interest in Oklahoman Scott Pruitt as head of the EPA, who is also a climate change denier, I'm starting to wonder why my state seems to be running so rampant with anti-intellectualism.  -_-

MiraMirror

This feels more like a horror movie with every passing day.  The fact that someone like that still got confirmed with the blatant idiocy on her, just...saddens me.
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Oniya

Toomey has a bit of a reputation for how he deals with his constituents concerns.  To put it succinctly, he doesn't.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

elone

I am not sure why anyone would be surprised that money buys votes over the wishes of constituents. It happens time and time again.

It appears that the right wing nuts and Christian coalition are aligning to destroy all government programs on the belief that privatization is a more effective method of operation in the belief the the Feds can do nothing right. Except defense of course.

What amazes me (it shouldn't) is that all those who opposed Trump, most notably Lindsey Graham, who said the party who supported Trump were "batshit crazy"

Maybe the Republicans are right, government does little right, and that starts in Congress.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Pumpkin Seeds

I don’t think there is a belief that these areas of the government can be run well privately but a simple greed for tax money.  Banks, corporations and financial institutions are looking at all the money coming into the Department of Education and the Department of Health while licking their chops.  They want to “invest” this money and profit tremendously from it while having little regulation or rather control over the regulations that would govern their returns.  Devos has openly stated she doesn’t even know what criteria private and charter schools uses to gauge their success or that those standards should be shared with public schools.  Same with social security, medicare, research and so forth.  Even defense is being contracted out more and more.  Eventually the government will simply be our taxes going to various companies with no control over what we get in return. 

Lilias

Quote from: MiraMirror on February 07, 2017, 09:48:32 PM
This feels more like a horror movie with every passing day.  The fact that someone like that still got confirmed with the blatant idiocy on her, just...saddens me.

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Luna on February 07, 2017, 12:48:18 PM
Even the two supposed dissenters on the republican side was more of a sham. It seems pretty obvious that Collins and Mercowski got special permission to vote against DeVos, on the express condition that no other republicans break ranks.
As much as I follow the developments in the US, I may very well have missed some things. Could you tell me why you think that is "pretty obvious"?

That aside, I actually hope that more nominations will go like this, no matter if it was enigneered that way or not. These candidates were nominated by the administration, so let the White House carry the burden for them getting their jobs. The more tie-breakers by Pence there are, the more candidates might eventually be labeled as "who was confirmed only by the vote of the vice president". The prospect of someone's eventual unpopularity falling back on the White House is something I find somewhat satisfying.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Teo Torriatte

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on February 08, 2017, 06:45:14 AM
As much as I follow the developments in the US, I may very well have missed some things. Could you tell me why you think that is "pretty obvious"?

Because whatever else anyone might say about Mitch McConnel, he is a master at counting and whipping votes. He also knows when he can allow very vulnerable republicans to appear to be bucking their own party for the sake of their own re-elections. He wouldn't have been pushing for a vote on Devos if he thought they couldn't get to at least 50, and he wouldn't have allowed Collins and Mercowski to break ranks without knowing he had all the others in line. This isn't the first time those two senators have been given political cover to appear a little more moderate, but whenever their votes are needed you will see them fall in line like every other republican.

Valerian

Quote from: Luna on February 08, 2017, 02:02:00 PM
Because whatever else anyone might say about Mitch McConnel, he is a master at counting and whipping votes. He also knows when he can allow very vulnerable republicans to appear to be bucking their own party for the sake of their own re-elections. He wouldn't have been pushing for a vote on Devos if he thought they couldn't get to at least 50, and he wouldn't have allowed Collins and Mercowski to break ranks without knowing he had all the others in line. This isn't the first time those two senators have been given political cover to appear a little more moderate, but whenever their votes are needed you will see them fall in line like every other republican.
They both seem to have very safe seats, actually, judging by the voting results for their last elections.  Do you think they're vulnerable in some other way?

If they were trying to let a couple of Republicans look better, they should have let Ron Johnson be one of them.  He didn't win by much last time and he certainly isn't making any friends by turning into the invisible man every time a constituent wants to talk to him.  :P
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Teo Torriatte

Quote from: Valerian on February 08, 2017, 02:16:24 PM
They both seem to have very safe seats, actually, judging by the voting results for their last elections.  Do you think they're vulnerable in some other way?

If they were trying to let a couple of Republicans look better, they should have let Ron Johnson be one of them.  He didn't win by much last time and he certainly isn't making any friends by turning into the invisible man every time a constituent wants to talk to him.  :P

From my understanding that is pretty much why their seats are so safe, because they have the tendency to break ranks almost every time their constituents don't want them to vote on something. Kind of like it used to be with the "Blue Dog" democrats... but they have all since retired, or finally got primaried, because apparently the democratic party has a bit less tolerance for that kind of thing.

Edit- or I could just be extrapolating and maybe things aren't that clear. But I have always assumed that when a few people from either party dissent like that, there has at least been some discussion and some measure of permission given by the leadership.

Trigon

Pumpkin Seeds

They are pretty much all going to get through.  The Senate as pretty much decided to bend over backwards to make Trump happy so they can get their legislation passed.

Samael

Even Democrats broke rank and voted for this guy.
Someone really need to share some spines.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Trigon

Quote from: Samael on February 08, 2017, 07:36:57 PM
Even Democrats broke rank and voted for this guy.
Someone really need to share some spines.

Yes indeed. At least in the case of Sessions, only a single Dem vote went to him though. The full list of who voted for whom right here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/31/us/politics/trump-cabinet-confirmation-votes.html?_r=0

Teo Torriatte

Unfortunately there wasn't really a question as to whether or not Sessions was going to get confirmed.

Fucking politics... republicans complained about the Dems holding things up, then intentionally pushed back Sessions' nomination because they needed his Senate vote for DeVos.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Luna on February 08, 2017, 02:48:33 PM
From my understanding that is pretty much why their seats are so safe, because they have the tendency to break ranks almost every time their constituents don't want them to vote on something. Kind of like it used to be with the "Blue Dog" democrats... but they have all since retired, or finally got primaried, because apparently the democratic party has a bit less tolerance for that kind of thing.

Edit- or I could just be extrapolating and maybe things aren't that clear. But I have always assumed that when a few people from either party dissent like that, there has at least been some discussion and some measure of permission given by the leadership.
I am not sure if things are that clear. Cory Gardner (R-CO) and Dean Heller (R-NV) are from areas Clinton carried in the election. Their seats might be vulnerable, yet they voted pro-Trump 100%, so far. When it comes to the voting landscape they are in about the same boat as Collins, from what I can tell, but they didn't break rank even once.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Teo Torriatte

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on February 09, 2017, 03:00:26 AM
I am not sure if things are that clear. Cory Gardner (R-CO) and Dean Heller (R-NV) are from areas Clinton carried in the election. Their seats might be vulnerable, yet they voted pro-Trump 100%, so far. When it comes to the voting landscape they are in about the same boat as Collins, from what I can tell, but they didn't break rank even once.

Its true. And neither have John McCain or Lindsey Graham, even though they have talked tough against Trump on occasion. They have yet to back any of that talk with an actual vote against anything he has tried to do. I'm not sure why its always Collins and Mercowski that seem to be the ones who break if anyone is going to.

Valerian

Quote from: Luna on February 09, 2017, 09:28:41 AM
Its true. And neither have John McCain or Lindsey Graham, even though they have talked tough against Trump on occasion. They have yet to back any of that talk with an actual vote against anything he has tried to do. I'm not sure why its always Collins and Mercowski that seem to be the ones who break if anyone is going to.
It's possible they're just those uncommon politicians (and extremely rare Republicans) who actually do listen to their constituents, at least once in a while.  They do still exist here and there.  Sometimes there will be a great deal of party pressure to vote a certain way regardless pf public outcry, and sometimes even those politicians will just give in and follow party lines to make their lives easier.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE