Battle of the Books

Started by Valerian, July 20, 2011, 06:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josietta

The lady in white looked back to Leo and gave a polite smile. Moving further about to see just who was being accused, she held up her skirts in one hand as the other brushed back a stray lock of pale gold. Letting her gaze move over Imogen she did wonder just why everyone was so against her when she had made a simple mistake in naming someone. It could have been anyone named really, or anyone to do the blaming. In these sorts of situations there always had to be a scapegoat, it was unfortunate and utterly terrible that Imogen would not be able to prove herself. Maybe even she would have her guilt proven as her head went rolling, but one could never tell. She would only watch Leorobin for now, her vote would not change as changing it could only lead to frenzy amongst the masses. After all, he could be making up a very detailed and touching story, okay  maybe not touching, but compelling none the less and one that could be riddled with lies and deception. He was after all the only one with a real apparent malady amongst them all. A limp which could likely have occurred in the heat of battle with the one whose death they had recently learned of. She moved over toward a seat in the library near the young adult fiction and settled into the cushioned seat. Her ankles crossed as she smoothed out her skirts and sat up straight backed, her posture perfect as she waited to see just who the blame would lie with at the end of that day.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Kendra

It seemed of course the best choice by far that they could have made, at least in Kendra's eyes. Glancing in turn with a slight nod of his head at each as if thanking even those who had voted for someone else, he pushed up his pince nez and was about to speak when accusations began to whizz by. Taking a moment he listened carefully, it was indeed a task to deduce just who could have killed the prince but blaming without proof always left a bad taste afterwards. He wished himself that he had more to go on, more to base his own opinions as worthy as they were but for now his belief that Ryven had a hand in the deed could not be shaken.

Valerian

Lynch Vote

Imogen (4) - That Girl Analise, FoamWeber, Moirae, Falanor
Marguerite (3) - Remiel, Aiden, Kyrsa
Remiel (2) - Ryven, Marguerite
Falanor (1) - Leorobin
FoamWeber (1) - Imogen
Leorobin (1) - Josietta
Ryven (1) - Kendra
Aiden (0)
Beguile's Mistress (0)
Josietta (0)
*Kendra (0)
Kyrsa (0)
Moirae (0)
That Girl Analise (0)

Yet to vote: Beguile's Mistress

There are 7 Protagonists, 3 Antagonists, 1 Brave Soldier, 1 Mysterious Killer, 1 Forthright Detective, and 1 Wise Matchmaker.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Beguile's Mistress

Beguile's leaned back in her chair studying the gathered characters with a bored expression.  She really could use a martini and some music to liven things up she thought.

"Well, it's hard to decide when there isn't much to go on but Marguerite does look suspicious to me."

Imogen

Imogen pinched the bridge of his nose with thumb and index finger. Strange, he could have sworn he'd seen Foamweber's name as a not votee. Must have been a lack of coffee. He went to refill his mug and ambled back, inhaling the lifebringing vapors. "Yeah. I was wrong about Foamweber's voting. She voted for Kendra as well, albeit late." He thought the current voting over, sipping his coffee. The murderer had to be found but he had to survive this day to get to the killers. He didn't want to vote for an innocent simply to save his own life. That equaled murder in his book. But looking at the votes so far, it seemed as if Ryven and Marguerite had come to an understanding. It was thin, he had to admit that but without options he grudgingly switched the vote to Marguerite
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Valerian

Lynch Vote (Final)

Marguerite (5) - Remiel, Aiden, Kyrsa, Beguile's Mistress, Imogen
Imogen (4) - That Girl Analise, FoamWeber, Moirae, Falanor
Remiel (2) - Ryven, Marguerite
Falanor (1) - Leorobin
Leorobin (1) - Josietta
Ryven (1) - Kendra
Aiden (0)
Beguile's Mistress (0)
FoamWeber (0)
Josietta (0)
*Kendra (0)
Kyrsa (0)
Moirae (0)
That Girl Analise (0)

And so it was that Marguerite stood accused and convicted by her fellow characters, sentenced to pay the ultimate price.  As had happened in the pages of her book, the Phantom died quietly, of a broken heart.  But alas, this sacrifice was in vain, for Marguerite had been an innocent Protagonist, and the murderers were still at large.

There are 6 Protagonists, 3 Antagonists, 1 Brave Soldier, 1 Mysterious Killer, 1 Forthright Detective, and 1 Wise Matchmaker.

Wise Matchmaker, please send me your choices for the Lovers; all other night roles, please give me your choices as well.  The game is afoot!
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

The next morning, the characters awake to discover that several odd and amazing things have happened.

First, there are signs of a love potion having been brewed.  A small cauldron is still warm, though empty, and rose thorns, moonstone and bits of peppermint are scattered nearby.

Second, FoamWeber, an innocent Protagonist lies dead.  It seems that the clever, redoubtable Miss Marple finally encountered a villain she could not defeat.

But also, strangely, there has been another, even more mysterious death.  Kyrsa is dead as well, her spirit banished back to the pages of her books, where no doubt Arya Stark has added the names of the rest of the group to her list of people she wishes dead. 

But even more oddly, rather like the Phantom before her, Kyrsa, an Antagonist, seems to have died of grief at the loss of a love.

There are 5 Protagonists, 2 Antagonists, 1 Brave Soldier, 1 Mysterious Killer, 1 Forthright Detective, and 1 Wise Matchmaker.

Aiden
Beguile's Mistress
Falanor
FoamWeber - Protagonist (Miss Marple); killed by Antagonists, Night 1
Imogen
Josietta
Kendra*
Kyrsa - Antagonist (Arya Stark); died Night 1
Leorobin
Marguerite - Protagonist (Phantom); lynched, Day 1
Moirae
Remiel
Ryven
That Girl Analise
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

That Girl Analise

"I can't help but still suspecting Imogen. Foam was among those who had voted against him, and Kyrsa had voted with him. I realize it is not much to go on, but it is all I have for now," Analise said. She had seen death before, so this was not new to her, but she would be lying to say that it was not upsetting.

Imogen

Imogen nodded wrily at Analise. "This looks bad. I'm about to vote for myself right now"

"I'm being set up and they're doing a damn good job at it. All I can is that I wouldn't have been gone after Foamweber if I'd had it out for any of you. I'd have tried an alliance and then pick you guys off one by one, not something stupid like this. I don't know why Kyrsa voted me, I guess it didn't matter to her - one innocent or another." He kneeled by Foamweber's corpse and gently closed the old lady's eyes. "Now they're getting two for the price of one."

"I don't know who did it, but I know this: they're hiding in the shadows." He straightened and then looked back at Analise. "Look for those who vote late. The killers won't want to draw attention to themselves."

He'd have prefered to offer some conclusive wisdom and point at a killer with unerring aim, but the murderers had been smart in killing Foamweber. All clues led to him. Who among them was vicious enough to think of such a scheme? He let his gaze roam over those present... considering each of them. Analise was clever enough, and she was quick to hang him but she'd voted fast and quick, even if it had been at himself.

Remiel was a clever fox, but wits alone didn't make a killer. Who had done this? Aiden, the usual suspect? Falanor, the quiet one?

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Valerian

Lynch Vote (Current)

Imogen (2) - That Girl Analise, Falanor
Aiden (1) -  Josietta
Falanor (1) - Imogen
Josietta (1) - Aiden
Remiel (1) - Ryven
Beguile's Mistress (0)
*Kendra (0)
Leorobin (0)
Moirae (0)
Ryven (0)
That Girl Analise (0)

Yet to vote: Beguile's Mistress, Kendra, Leorobin, Moirae, Remiel

There are 5 Protagonists, 2 Antagonists, 1 Brave Soldier, 1 Mysterious Killer, 1 Forthright Detective, and 1 Wise Matchmaker.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Josietta

Josi was surprised at the night before's events. It was not one but two deaths and she was left wondering why the antagonist, Kyrsa, would attack her own love. Miss Marple must have been dear to her as a mother or grandmother and she sighed. Maybe Miss Marple brought out the guilt in Kyrsa. Who else would attack them? Imogen seemed true enough. Kendra was their dear librarian. They trusted her enough and Kendra had chosen Ryven before. Maybe she was correct in her choosing. Then again Aiden and Remiel were the first to voted against Miss Mar who was innocent, and Kyrsa had chosen to vote the same way and was later found to be an Antagonist. Josi sighed some at all the choices and looks to her black nail polish idly. Until such a time she could be persuaded otherwise she put in her vote to lynch, Aiden. Maybe they would finally have to find a champion to slay these beasts that stalked at night, until then, this would do. Such was life, ah well.

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Aiden

"Are you serious? You think I did that?"
Aiden scoffed in disbelief, annoyed at Josi. "I think you are hiding a secret Josietta." He growled, swearing never to share his bed with her ever again!

Josietta

She rose a pale brow and brushed back a few platinum locks with a sigh. Leave it for him to be so dramatic about a simple nudge of direction. And to think, he'd deny -her- his bed. She shook her head as her fat loose curls tumbled about.

"My darling.. you would not deny me. Besides, what other reasoning is there for your voting? And why so angry, lover? Did I touch a sore spot?"

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Ryven

He looked at them all one by one.  Such odd occurrences in the night, but from his point of view, nothing was so odd.  He'd seen enough in the hellish streets he called home to not even cock a brow at the death of the two lovers.  A murder in cold blood with guilt to finish up when Kyrsa had started.  He couldn't really put his finger on why it had happened that way, but the truth was it really didn't matter right now.  Someone had to pay for yet another body cold and dead.

"Remiel."

Falanor

Falanor looked upon the scene with a grim determination to his faded blue eyes.  “Not in some time have I witnessed such bloody work.”  Straightening the brim of his Stetson as he stood to his full height, “Quiet?  Sounds more like someone has a guilty consciences, after all, Kyrsa voted on Margurite and not you, Imogen.”

Stepping back from the scene, his sandalwood revolvers loose in their holster, “These two did me no wrong and their death is not on my hands, for I have not forgotten the face of my father.”

desert ashes

With a soft sigh Moirae glanced between all of them, slowly fanned herself.  Oh, where was her darling?  He could make all of this end, he could.  Him or his fellows.  All she knew was that he better not be off chasing skirts while she was here dealing with assured madness.  "Remiel does appear to posses a suspicious nature."
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Kendra

Kendra sighed wearily at the intensity with how everyone was now voting without rhyme or reason, certain that it was a great ploy to keep the finger pointing away from the murderer. Listening avidly to all, he noticed how extremely like Roland Deschain the man Falanor was and knowing that particular character to be somewhat of a peacekeeper and a diplomat, no matter that he was also a gunslinger, Kendra decided for now to vote in accordance with him.
"I have nothing against you personally my dear but sometimes Imogen no reasons are necessary for laying the blame until there are more facts."

Remiel

Quote from: Moirae on August 31, 2011, 02:18:00 AM
With a soft sigh Moirae glanced between all of them, slowly fanned herself.  Oh, where was her darling?  He could make all of this end, he could.  Him or his fellows.  All she knew was that he better not be off chasing skirts while she was here dealing with assured madness.  "Remiel does appear to posses a suspicious nature."

"When a man goes to sleep each night not knowing if the following sunrise brings with it a new horizon, or his demise at the end of six feet of rope," Remiel slurred, wobbling slightly where he stood, "his only rational recourse is to be suspicious."  He paused, and took a long swallow from the contents of a green bottle that had somehow found its way into his hand, before wiping his mouth with his arm.  "But I solemnly swear by my ship that I have killed no one."  He frowned, blinked, and then added, "at least, not lately.  And certainly no-one who didn't deserve it." 

He fished in his tunic for the apparently broken compass, and flipped it open with his thumb. He frowned at it for a few moments, shrugged, and snapped it closed again.  "There are liars among us, luv, and no one should know that better than an accomplished liar.  Ah, but which are the liars, and which are the truth tellers?  Who knows? Not I."  He took another swig, swallowed--and added, "...yet."

"We've still to hear from Beguile's Mistress and Leorobin.  I would hear what they have to say, before casting my vote."

Valerian

Lynch Vote (Current)

Imogen (3) - That Girl Analise, Falanor, Kendra
Remiel (2) - Ryven, Moirae
Aiden (1) -  Josietta
Falanor (1) - Imogen
Josietta (1) - Aiden
Ryven (1) -  Leorobin
Beguile's Mistress (0)
*Kendra (0)
Leorobin (0)
Moirae (0)
That Girl Analise (0)

Yet to vote: Beguile's Mistress, Remiel

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Zelric Miras

((I'm sorry for not posting before...being a bit tied up))

"From my experience women are always cause of troubles in any dangerous situation..." Leorobin mused while considring the deaths from last night he finally settled his sight on Ryven. "Being short of words usually hides something that the silent one wishes to hide."

Beguile's Mistress

Beguile's looked 'round at all those casting votes and knew she could wait no longer.

"Falanor, though a handsome gentleman, has not earned my trust."  Flicking a bit of lint from her sleeve she went back to pondering what to wear for dinner.

Remiel

Remiel scratched his nose.  "Well, that doesn't make things any easier," he complained.  He was, if anything, more confused than ever.   At least he didn't have to vote for Imogen in order to save his own skin.   He slumped back against a pillar, sliding down against it until he sat flat on the ground.  He stared at the ceiling for awhile, his mouth agape.  "Kendra, Kyrsa, Josietta," he muttered under his breath. "Josietta, Kyrsa, Kendra. Falanor or Imogen? Imogen or Falanor.  Beguile's Mistress--yea or nay? Or have I gone completely daft?"

He sighed.  "Bugger it--Josietta it is. Time for a nap."  He tilted his floppy, tricorner hat down over his eyes, and before long was snoring loudly.

Valerian

Lynch Vote (Final)

Imogen (3) - That Girl Analise, Falanor, Kendra
Falanor (2) - Imogen, Beguile's Mistress
Josietta (2) - Aiden, Remiel
Remiel (2) - Ryven, Moirae
Aiden (1) -  Josietta
Ryven (1) -  Leorobin
Beguile's Mistress (0)
*Kendra (0)
Leorobin (0)
Moirae (0)
That Girl Analise (0)

By the narrowest of margins, and with some understandable confusion, it was finally decided that Imogen must go.  This was no easy task, however, for Imogen, it seemed, was unwilling to go quietly.  With a hail of gunfire that lured out such other notable characters as James Bond and Jason Bourne to join in the fray, it was some moments before anyone in the little group was quite certain what had happened.

When the dust settled and the wounded had retreated back to their books, it was discovered that Imogen had in fact been an Antagonist, one Jack Reacher, who had once more proven the old adage that he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

Aiden
Beguile's Mistress
Falanor
FoamWeber - Protagonist (Miss Marple), killed Night 1
Imogen - Antagonist (Jack Reacher), lynched Day 2
Josietta
*Kendra
Kyrsa - Antagonist (Arya Stark), died Night 1
Leorobin
Marguerite - Protagonist (The Phantom), lynched Day 1
Moirae
Remiel
Ryven
That Girl Analise

There are 5 Protagonists, 1 Antagonist, 1 Brave Soldier, 1 Mysterious Killer, 1 Forthright Detective, and 1 Wise Matchmaker.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

That night, the leaves of the books stirred restlessly.  What would happen next?  After the events of the last night, everyone seemed afraid to sleep too deeply.

Well into the night, a faint footstep was heard as a lovely young woman, dressed in a gown of finest lace, walked cautiously across the floor.  Her course brought her through the shadows to the spot where a man sat in a chair balanced on its two back legs.  The man's booted feet rested on the table in front of him, his hands were behind his head, and his piratical hat was pushed down over his face.  Despite his awkward position, he managed to look supremely comfortable, and seemed to be quite soundly asleep, a faint snore echoing now and then.

The woman paused, listened, and smiled, a beautiful smile that yet, somehow, chilled the blood, for it seemed utterly without mercy.  As if to confirm this impression, the young lady raised her arm, revealing a silver stiletto -- small, looking almost frail, but gleaming and wickedly sharp in the moonlight.

She moved to strike, the blade flashing in the faint, bluish rays of the waxing moon.  At that same moment, her target, the Guardian, sprang to life, his rest having been but a sham.  With a triumphant "Ah ha!" he raised the dagger that had been hidden in his sleeve, preparing to ward off the stiletto, while the legs of his chair thumped roughly to the floor.

The woman froze, seeming at first to be stunned by this turn of events.  In the next moment, however, her eyes rolled back into her head and the last Antagonist crumpled to the floor, dark blood slowly spreading over the pale fabric of her gown.

As she fell, she revealed the figure behind her -- a regal, queenly figure that held more than a hint of the otherworldly  -- a Mysterious Killer indeed.  The gun in the figure's hand, however, was another story.  That was entirely earthly, and had clearly just been put to its intended deadly purpose, for a wisp of smoke drifted up from its silenced muzzle.

Then the pirate was able to catch a few softly murmured words.  "Ill met by moonlight, indeed.  Brief as the lightning in the collied night."  Then, with a perfect curtsy to the stunned pirate, the figure vanished into the shadows with startling ease, leaving the man alone -- save for the corpse at his feet.

Aiden
Beguile's Mistress - Antagonist (Rebecca DeWinter), assassinated Night 2
Falanor
FoamWeber - Protagonist (Miss Marple), killed Night 1
Imogen - Antagonist (Jack Reacher), lynched Day 2
Josietta
*Kendra
Kyrsa - Antagonist (Arya Stark), died Night 1
Leorobin
Marguerite - Protagonist (The Phantom), lynched Day 1
Moirae
Remiel
Ryven
That Girl Analise

There are 5 Protagonists, 0 Antagonists, 1 Brave Soldier, 1 Mysterious Killer, 1 Forthright Detective, and 1 Wise Matchmaker.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE