Crush the Xenos Scum! [40k discussion]

Started by chaoslord29, May 02, 2013, 11:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevben Battleheart

Quote from: Inkidu on May 22, 2014, 08:46:47 PM
Oh wow, I just read a three line theory and I love it.

Okay, so Orks have a powerful latent psychic ability that allows them to warp reality around them if enough believe it. (i.e. the red wunz go fasta')
Orks love to fight, it's what they live for, they don't care about anything else.
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.

Think about it.
My rebuttal (and hopefully the image actually can be seen by others):

:D
The Saga of Battleheart (O/O's)The Vault of Victory  ♥
The World of Adalern (currently closed to critiquing)
Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two. All know what is known to three.
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Kevben Battleheart on May 22, 2014, 10:32:51 PM
My rebuttal (and hopefully the image actually can be seen by others):

:D

My counter-rebuttal:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

WAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUGH!!!!

Kevben Battleheart

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 22, 2014, 10:34:16 PM
My counter-rebuttal:

Touche. I do have a question for you Glyph, since it seems you've been around for 1E. I remember hearing something about there being an Ork who believe he cannot die and dwells on a world full of Orks who have come to believe the same thing. Supposedly a group of Space Marine (first Death Watch formed?) were sent to try and kill the Ork but found they couldn't. Do you know if this is actually real or just something a random fan made up?
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Kevben Battleheart on May 22, 2014, 10:38:58 PM
Touche. I do have a question for you Glyph, since it seems you've been around for 1E. I remember hearing something about there being an Ork who believe he cannot die and dwells on a world full of Orks who have come to believe the same thing. Supposedly a group of Space Marine (first Death Watch formed?) were sent to try and kill the Ork but found they couldn't. Do you know if this is actually real or just something a random fan made up?
I wasn't around for 1E, but I've never heard that story.

There is, semi-canonically, a planet somewhere in the Eye of Terror that was the landing point of the only Ork WAAAAAUGH to ever invade the Eye. They attacked a planet full of demons, and all died. Because this is the Eye of Terror and they attacked a planet full of Khornate demons, they were resurrected the next day to fight and die again, tortured for eternity with endless repetitions of falling in battle. The Orks think they're in heaven. Kinda close to what you mean.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 22, 2014, 10:50:26 PM
There is, semi-canonically, a planet somewhere in the Eye of Terror that was the landing point of the only Ork WAAAAAUGH to ever invade the Eye. They attacked a planet full of demons, and all died. Because this is the Eye of Terror and they attacked a planet full of Khornate demons, they were resurrected the next day to fight and die again, tortured for eternity with endless repetitions of falling in battle. The Orks think they're in heaven. Kinda close to what you mean.

Hahahaha. Orkz iz da best. :D
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Inkidu

I love the idea that the whole grimdark future came about because every single ork in existence thinks that fighting is the natural state of the universe, so ipso facto it's reached it's logical orky conclusion. :P

It just took a lot of time.

Thank the God Emperor they'll never think there's such a thing as too much dakka.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

RedPhoenix

Ork hippie movement brings peace to the universe overnight. All other species (except Eldar) realize their insignificance. Ten years later orks rediscover punk rock and the war begins anew.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Inkidu

Do not play a ton of 40K when you're sick. My fever dreams were me as an imperial guardsman. That life sucks... :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Outsider

Quote from: Inkidu on May 27, 2014, 01:53:01 PM
Do not play a ton of 40K when you're sick. My fever dreams were me as an imperial guardsman. That life sucks... :P

Everyone has their place! To question that order is to question the Emperor. I'm afraid the Inquisition has some questions for you now, Inkidu.

Inkidu

Quote from: theoutsider on May 28, 2014, 05:21:53 AM
Everyone has their place! To question that order is to question the Emperor. I'm afraid the Inquisition has some questions for you now, Inkidu.
That doesn't mean it doesn't suck, I'm lucky commissars were going to town on the platoons. :P

HairyHeretic

So, going on a slight tangent for a minute, anyone else keeping an eye on Eternal Crusade? I have high hopes it will do well, as I'd love to see a good 40k MMO, and have already pledged my allegiance there. Ave Dominus Nox :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 28, 2014, 08:02:27 PM
So, going on a slight tangent for a minute, anyone else keeping an eye on Eternal Crusade? I have high hopes it will do well, as I'd love to see a good 40k MMO, and have already pledged my allegiance there. Ave Dominus Nox :)
I'll have to see it, and probably need better gear and internet, but yeah, I'm keeping an eye on it. :)

Beat the campaign of Chaos Rising. That was a long fight. A greater daemon of Nurgle is not to be trifled with.

Still, he did get taken down by my Force Commander (basically my player character) in close combat. He was wearing high-grade ancient terminator armor and wielding terminator power claws though (not powerful, but really, really fast).

Kevben Battleheart

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 28, 2014, 08:02:27 PM
I've been keeping an eye on it as well. Will be working on getting a gaming desktop pretty much for that game alone lol. Waiting for when they get their founders program up and running so I can offer my support for the game, as well as getting some of those sweet little goodies they'll offer. I'm already sworn to the Vlka Fenryka.

Inkidu

I saw or smelled something today that was absolutely vile, and I instantly spent too much mental time on thinking up things that would make Nurgle go ewwww. :3

It's actually kind of fun.

Inkidu

I was thinking about Imperial inquisitors and kind of how sad their lot is (not as sad as their um... interogatees and whatnot). They start out as Puritans, bright-eyed and full of optimism and the will to fight chaos and the enemies of the imperium. They're happy to kill the Radical inquisitors for their heresy, but after years of issuing exterminatus or having to send men to die to fight the good fight against chaos they invariably start thinking along the lines of the Radicals. Fight chaos with chaos, something has to break the stalemate, slave lives, they slip further and further into the Radical way of thinking, and eventually they're killed by some young new Puritan fresh out of the Schola bright-eyed and optimistic...

That's really kind of horrifying, in a lot of ways its worse than being shoved into a meat grinder.

Rejoice

Quote from: Inkidu on June 04, 2014, 10:06:53 PM
I was thinking about Imperial inquisitors and kind of how sad their lot is (not as sad as their um... interogatees and whatnot). They start out as Puritans, bright-eyed and full of optimism and the will to fight chaos and the enemies of the imperium. They're happy to kill the Radical inquisitors for their heresy, but after years of issuing exterminatus or having to send men to die to fight the good fight against chaos they invariably start thinking along the lines of the Radicals. Fight chaos with chaos, something has to break the stalemate, slave lives, they slip further and further into the Radical way of thinking, and eventually they're killed by some young new Puritan fresh out of the Schola bright-eyed and optimistic...

That's really kind of horrifying, in a lot of ways its worse than being shoved into a meat grinder.

I'm actually pretty convinced there are a lot more tempered Inquisitors(along the lines of Amberly Vail) out there than the Imperial propaganda will make you realise. Whereas Im sure declaring exterminatus on a world would probably scar you forever, I would not think your average Inquisitor would have to make such a call more than once or maybe twice during their career. Rather, apart from the more radical examples you see out of the Ordo Hereticus, I should think Inquisitors as a whole would be some of the more tempered individuals the imperium has to offer. They are recruited from the absolute cream of the crop, often later in their career, their constant need for cover means they get to experience glimpses of all paths of imperial life, they are constantly surronded by advisors from those same paths, and so forth.

HairyHeretic

Have you read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies? If not, you should.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kevben Battleheart

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 07, 2014, 06:48:07 PM
Have you read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies? If not, you should.
I have, at least Eisenhorn that is. I have both the Omnibus for them, just haven't gotten into Ravenor yet. I do feel like Eisenhorn fell into the trap that Inkidu mentioned. If I recall right he started out as a Puritan but soon ended up being a Radical with some of the actions he committed, much to the surprise of some.

HairyHeretic

Exactly my point. You can see how his perspective changes. The actions he takes, each one is for the good of the Imperium, sometimes decisions he has no other choice but make do in order to prevent something worse. And step by step, decision by decsision ...

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

Now I feel like playing. Unfortunately, I've never been able to properly get into 40K. Heck, I haven't ever properly gotten in Fantasy, despite being an alleged player for years and years. My motivation just runs out before I can get anywhere with it. I have more Fire Warriors than I can count, and a half-painted Hammerhead and partly assembled Devilfish. Just waiting for the proper treatment. I even made a proper Tau list a while ago.

Well, I tried.

I decided I wanted to try something radically new, and incredibly mobile. So I decided I should try deep striking a lot of battlesuits. Just be everywhere, you know? With some air support, maybe. A few Broadsides just to give my enemies something to chew on while trying to decide whether they'd rather chase my Crisis teams or go after the Broadsides. But alas!

Inkidu

Yeah, I haven't even tried to broach the table top game proper. It's a case of no one plays near me, and it's expensive as hell. Even buying used it can take a couple of hundred dollars American. :|

I'm happy with books and video games for now.

Kevben Battleheart

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 08, 2014, 01:11:15 PM
Exactly my point. You can see how his perspective changes. The actions he takes, each one is for the good of the Imperium, sometimes decisions he has no other choice but make do in order to prevent something worse. And step by step, decision by decsision ...
I think I'm gonna reread the Eisenhorn series now lol. See what all I missed when I first read it. Then I might get back to the Ravenor series. At the very least the books will give me an idea of how an Inquisitor should act and a few ideas for plots.

Quote from: Hemingway on June 10, 2014, 08:16:08 AM
Now I feel like playing. Unfortunately, I've never been able to properly get into 40K. Heck, I haven't ever properly gotten in Fantasy, despite being an alleged player for years and years. My motivation just runs out before I can get anywhere with it. I have more Fire Warriors than I can count, and a half-painted Hammerhead and partly assembled Devilfish. Just waiting for the proper treatment. I even made a proper Tau list a while ago.

Well, I tried.

I decided I wanted to try something radically new, and incredibly mobile. So I decided I should try deep striking a lot of battlesuits. Just be everywhere, you know? With some air support, maybe. A few Broadsides just to give my enemies something to chew on while trying to decide whether they'd rather chase my Crisis teams or go after the Broadsides. But alas!
I'm actually in the middle of making my Space Wolves army. Have most of what I need for a 1500 point army, just missing the transport elements. Once I get those I can at least play them with a few local folks to get a feeling for how those around me play.

HairyHeretic

One way to get into 40k on a smaller scale is Kill Team. It's a fan product that is based off the 40k ruleset, but each character is considered a unit of 1. If you've ever played (or heard of) Necromunda, Mordheim or GorkaMorka, its the same idea. A dozen or so models is all you need for a game, small scale skirmishing. I'd like to give it a try myself, but haven't got any interest from the local 40k players yet.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

Oh, yeah. I did have a Tau army of about 1000 points, I think. I could probably scrape together more. I sort of lost steam as this was before the latest codex release, and the one game I got to play with them was against a rules-lawyering Tyranid player. It was awful. Apparently, that guy was infamous around the local Games Workshop.

Kevben Battleheart

Well for those who care for it, the founders program for Eternal Crusade will be on the 25th, just two days away.

Edit: Also I was just led to this little gem thanks to Alfabusa, Chapter Master of the Alfa Legion. Cannot believe I didn't find this on my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k