Mass Effect 3!! (Warning. Spoilers inside!)

Started by Wyrd, January 13, 2011, 08:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyrd

The conclusion to Biowares Sci-Fi master peice had been confirmed and Me and hopfully many of you are haveing a nergasm over ;D

What are your hpes, fears and predictions for Mass Effect 3?

link to trailer : Mass Effect 3 : Earth Announcement Trailer [HD]

Confirmed Features

-ME3 will end the Shephard story arc.

-ME3's universe is going to be darker, but funnier at the same time.

-The mining mini-game won’t be abandoned completely.

-The import feature will be present, with more variables than ME2 had.

-'Cheating' on your ME1 LI might have negative repercussions in ME3

-Shepard is going to rally the various races of the galaxy against the Reapers.

-The Reapers have invaded Earth and Commander Shepard will have it back.

-ME3 has been set for a Winter 2011 release

-ME3 will be released simultaneously on the PC, XBOX360 and PS3.

-If your Shepard dies in ME2, you won't be able to import your save in ME3.

-The PS3 version of ME2 will use ME3's engine.

Promises

-ME3 to maximize both quality and commercial success

-Uber-Collector’s edition will come with a special bonus item.

-More RPG features and complex enemies will be included.

-Conversations will be more cinematic.

=Vehicle Based Exploration is currently considered and might return in ME3.

=Vanguard charge will 'definitely' be in ME3. 20

Popular Rumers

-LotSB may have set the standards for ME3, gameplay and dialogue-wise.

-ME3 will have a multiplayer component.

ME3 might have 3D

-ME3 may have timed decisions

Squadmates will return.

London will be featured.

(All info taken from links found on the Bioware social net work)

Bioware account name (Keldian)

(Warning first if you are putting in spoiler for ME 1 or 2)
Ragtime Dandies!

Nova

I personal laughed at everyone who cheated on there Me1 Romance for an Me2 Romance. I stayed loyal to Liara <3 She is just so awesome...

Anyway, this is going to be a great finisher to the ME Universe...Unless they make an MMO. And i would really think everyone would be an Asari. Eitherway, i can't wait to play this game. We need good single player games out there.

Hemingway

I would've had to cheat on Liara during my first playthrough, but luckily I managed to screw up the import. Tali just drew me in.

Anyway, along with Skyrim, this game ... words cannot express how excited I am, and how excited I'm going to get before it releases. I. LOVE. MASS. EFFECT.

Bentley

I cheated on Ashley with Tali on my very first playthrough. Even though I have a subsequent playthrough which fixed that, I'll still import it. I want to see if they'll fight over Shepard.

Anyway, Mass Effect is my favorite game series of all time. I still get all giddy while watching the trailer again. The thing about LoTSB setting the standard for dialogue kind of has me furrowing my brows. I found its attempts at humor to be pretty awkward.

Hemingway

I haven't played LoTSB yet. My current playthrough, where I actually manned up and played through ME without romancing Liara, and trying to do as many side missions as possible, sort of stopped after reaching ... well, I think I've unlocked the Legion recruitment mission, but I don't recall. I'll have to finish it some day soon. Or ... maybe not, so I have more to do until ME3 comes out. Hmm.

And Nova, not everyone would be an Asari! I'd be a Turian! Or human. I don't know. I find humans in ME to be ... actually sort of interesting, unlike most fantasy settings.

Wyrd

Pleae! Lets hope the pagan gods that they never make an MMO fo ME. Why would they anyway? They got the new star wars MMO to milk. Though, I'd hate to see this end right after ME 3. I was thinking a first Contact war FPS/RTS or more RPGs that take place far in the future.
Ragtime Dandies!

Bentley

I wouldn't be too surprised if they did make an MMO. If there was the option I'd be a Drell.

Hemingway

Mass Effect needs to be an MMO shooter, sort of like Global Agenda. Well, except it doesn't really lend itself to conflict among Citadel races. It'd have to be something like ... a conflict between Citadel and Terminus forces, and that just wouldn't be as exciting.

The First Contact War wouldn't really lend itself to an FPS or RTS either, as the number of people dead was ... low. "Six hundred humans and slightly more Turians" isn't really an epic war.

I definitely think we'll be seeing more Mass Effect. But if they do change the genre, I still don't think they'd make an MMORPG any time soon. Why would they compete with their own MMORPG? It wouldn't make sense. My money is on an MMO shooter. Furthermore, I bet it'd involve mercenary organizations in the Terminus systems. Making your own group and fighting over planets and whatnot.

Wyrd

I hope they make more some more awesome single player games before they even take an MMO in to consideration. But if they do that will be the end of ME for me, at least video game wise. The books and comics are awesome!

Now can we please get back on topic! :P. What are your hopes and predictions for Mass Effect 3? How do you think things will wrap up for ol' shep?
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Shepard punches out the head Reaper. Because at this point, Shepard is like ... the ultimate badass.

Well, if truth be told, I'm not expecting to be blown away by some clever twist. I think it'll be fairly straightforward. You have to rally the Citadel races, and you probably have to find some way to end the conflict between Quarians and Geth, to get them both to help you. Which way you do it will probably have some sort of consequence in the epilogue, but otherwise be of little consequence.

Now, allow me to engage in some wild speculation.

See, my Reaper hypothesis is that the Reapers were the first species to reach a technological singularity. I think they realized they needed to either completely transcend their own, ah, mortality, or inevitably destroy themselves. Basically, the first Reaper or Reapers were the collective conscience/experience/whatever of that species. Since then, they've taken it upon themselves to repeat this process each time a new species rises to that level. Sovereign did say the Reapers are our salvation, and that is what I think he meant - turn us into Reapers, so we don't destroy ourselves and all we've created. Noble, in its own twisted way.

Now, I may be wrong. I may be terribly wrong. But if the origin of the Reapers is even remotely like what I've just described, I hope we get to visit the original Reaper homeworld. The planet where the creatures that would eventually become the first Reapers, first evolved.

Just imagine having found that planet, in some lonely and unexplored corner of the galaxy. You land there, and it's just completely deserted, has been that way for millions of years. And you slowly go through it, uncovering the horrific truth, and discovering some weakness in the Reapers, or some weapon they invented but locked away, or something to help you defeat them. Maybe something to do with Haestrom's dying star, who knows. Just something awesome that you can use to kill the Reapers.

But that's just my opinion, no need to go spreading it around.

Dammit.

I'm going to play Mass Effect 2 now.

Inkidu

You know, I don't see how it's cheating. I would call it moving on.

Ashley dumps your ass basically, and Liara becomes obsessed with the Shadow Broker. So, yeah... my super boyscout good guy (who still manages to be badass, way to go Bioware) loves fixer-upers. He's now romantically involved with Jack. Which to be honest if we're talking specifically confined to ME 2. She's better than the Tali romance.

Tali takes some going back to ME 1 to really understand her romantic subplot.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wyrd

Quote from: Inkidu on January 14, 2011, 07:26:03 PM
You know, I don't see how it's cheating. I would call it moving on.

Ashley dumps your ass basically, and Liara becomes obsessed with the Shadow Broker. So, yeah... my super boyscout good guy (who still manages to be badass, way to go Bioware) loves fixer-upers. He's now romantically involved with Jack. Which to be honest if we're talking specifically confined to ME 2. She's better than the Tali romance.

Tali takes some going back to ME 1 to really understand her romantic subplot.

I agree. It should not really have any big repercussions in ME 3 but Bioware says It's a big deal :P.

Quote from: Hemingway on January 14, 2011, 05:15:32 PM
Shepard punches out the head Reaper. Because at this point, Shepard is like ... the ultimate badass.

Well, if truth be told, I'm not expecting to be blown away by some clever twist. I think it'll be fairly straightforward. You have to rally the Citadel races, and you probably have to find some way to end the conflict between Quarians and Geth, to get them both to help you. Which way you do it will probably have some sort of consequence in the epilogue, but otherwise be of little consequence.

Now, allow me to engage in some wild speculation.

See, my Reaper hypothesis is that the Reapers were the first species to reach a technological singularity. I think they realized they needed to either completely transcend their own, ah, mortality, or inevitably destroy themselves. Basically, the first Reaper or Reapers were the collective conscience/experience/whatever of that species. Since then, they've taken it upon themselves to repeat this process each time a new species rises to that level. Sovereign did say the Reapers are our salvation, and that is what I think he meant - turn us into Reapers, so we don't destroy ourselves and all we've created. Noble, in its own twisted way.

Now, I may be wrong. I may be terribly wrong. But if the origin of the Reapers is even remotely like what I've just described, I hope we get to visit the original Reaper homeworld. The planet where the creatures that would eventually become the first Reapers, first evolved.

Just imagine having found that planet, in some lonely and unexplored corner of the galaxy. You land there, and it's just completely deserted, has been that way for millions of years. And you slowly go through it, uncovering the horrific truth, and discovering some weakness in the Reapers, or some weapon they invented but locked away, or something to help you defeat them. Maybe something to do with Haestrom's dying star, who knows. Just something awesome that you can use to kill the Reapers.

But that's just my opinion, no need to go spreading it around.

Dammit.

I'm going to play Mass Effect 2 now.

Haha! That's actually pretty close to what me and a friend of mine were talking about for ME 3 and what we think the reapers purpose is. If you look up all the thinks that Harbingers says to Shep during combat in ME2, it really seems he is implying this
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: Wyrd on January 14, 2011, 07:37:26 PM
Haha! That's actually pretty close to what me and a friend of mine were talking about for ME 3 and what we think the reapers purpose is. If you look up all the thinks that Harbingers says to Shep during combat in ME2, it really seems he is implying this

Harbinger? I mainly recall him saying things like "you will know pain, Shepard".

Sovereign says a lot of things that seem to imply pretty heavily that a) they mean to turn us into Reapers and b) the Reapers each represent a "nation" ( a culture? an entire species? )

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 14, 2011, 07:49:43 PM
Harbinger? I mainly recall him saying things like "you will know pain, Shepard".

Sovereign says a lot of things that seem to imply pretty heavily that a) they mean to turn us into Reapers and b) the Reapers each represent a "nation" ( a culture? an entire species? )
Well, I have a problem with idea B. If that's true then why are the Protheans turned into collectors. Collectors aren't Reapers.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 14, 2011, 07:57:01 PM
Well, I have a problem with idea B. If that's true then why are the Protheans turned into collectors. Collectors aren't Reapers.

Collectors aren't Reapers, but not all Protheans were turned into Collectors. Many were killed, but if hundreds of thousands or a few million are all that's needed of a species to create a Reaper, then the Reapers would have no trouble getting their hands on the needed material.

My guess would be that Sovereign was a Prothean Reaper. Just judging by the Illithid-like tentacle appearance.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 14, 2011, 08:01:25 PM
Collectors aren't Reapers, but not all Protheans were turned into Collectors. Many were killed, but if hundreds of thousands or a few million are all that's needed of a species to create a Reaper, then the Reapers would have no trouble getting their hands on the needed material.

My guess would be that Sovereign was a Prothean Reaper. Just judging by the Illithid-like tentacle appearance.
Except that Sovereign was apparently there when they wiped out the Protheans.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 14, 2011, 08:03:31 PM
Except that Sovereign was apparently there when they wiped out the Protheans.

Hmm. I can think of a really interesting way of spinning that, but fair enough.

I stick by my hypothesis all the same. If the Collectors tried to make a human Reaper by reducing humans to goo, why would that process be different from that? And why would they do that, unless it's to, in some way or another, preserve the essence of the species they're creating a Reaper from?

Oh, maybe that's what Wyrd meant, about Harbinger. Because the fact Harbinger takes a personal interest in Shepard specifically, coupled with all this other knowledge, really seems, to me at least, to suggest that they're making a human Reaper, and they want Shepard for their little machine.

Which, of course, is one possible ending. Shepard somehow managing to bargain with the Reapers, convincing them they don't need to wipe out all life, and go with them to be made a Reaper himself. I can't say that ending wouldn't sadden me, but ... those endings tend to be the best ones.

Now, I'm pretty pessimistic nowadays, about developers' ability to create interesting stories with surprising twists. I wouldn't be very surprised to find out that when Sovereign says they are our "salvation through destruction", he's really just talking about murdering all humans. Which, of course, would suck, and make the statement basically meaningless. It would also render the whole thing that much more predictable, and all that less interesting. I'd still enjoy it, sure, but ... there's just so much potential.

Inkidu

Oh I don't think it will be that passe, Bioware's good about that kind of thing. No they were building a human reaper for a reason. I just don't think they do it with every race. Maybe I'm just biased.

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on January 14, 2011, 07:49:43 PM

You really need to give what he says another listen.

"The Voice of Harbinger" (selfmade Mass Effect 3-Teaser)

"Your species will be raised to a new existence." And more then that. "We will bring your species into harmony with our own." :P
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 14, 2011, 08:40:01 PM
Oh I don't think it will be that passe, Bioware's good about that kind of thing. No they were building a human reaper for a reason. I just don't think they do it with every race. Maybe I'm just biased.

Well, I don't think they do it to every species. It may well be they only do it to one species per cycle. Perhaps they pick one species and create one Reaper. Only going for those that are somehow above the others ( as they seem to think humans are ). Just as the Protheans were before. You'd think they'd go for Asari, being the most advanced, but maybe humans have something else. You know, that intangible, somehow special human spirit.

Mass Effect is one of those rare settings where being human, for all their very obvious flaws ( expanding very rapidly, being quite aggressive/impatient, that sort of thing ), is actually cool.

And, Wyrd, I've never actually seen that trailer. I guess that's ... pretty strong evidence. xD

Nova

With the rallying all the races as part of the story. It reminds me of Dragon Age Origins..How you go for them alliance treaties.

Wyrd

Quote from: Nova on January 14, 2011, 08:52:12 PM
With the rallying all the races as part of the story. It reminds me of Dragon Age Origins..How you go for them alliance treaties.

I've herd people saying that. But knowing mass effect it will most likely be fun and interesting... Unlike DA:O was, ay least for me :P
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on January 14, 2011, 08:54:23 PM
I've herd people saying that. But knowing mass effect it will most likely be fun and interesting... Unlike DA:O was, ay least for me :P
Eh, I thought it was fun with the different ways you could take but it definitely needed more polish. Maybe they won't implement the standard Bioware story for ME3 either. You kind of see them breaking away from it with 2, and they said they are with DA II.

Wyrd

I wished they would have not made DA at all and focused on Me and that Star wars MMO thing. Dragon age felt like a step backwards from what they gave us with mass effect and Even the first KoTOR.

But to get back on topic, yes, I am hopeful that Bioware has something sweet and origanal cooking up in Edmonton that is just waiting to take the world by storm. A storm of originality!!!
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Mass Effect one also lacked a lot of polish so I mean. All for solid first tries.

Plus they work for EA now. They have real funding! ME 3 shows a good trailer but I think we're jumping the gun on thinking how awesome we expect it to be.