The Siege of Carisbrooke Castle [Complete]

Started by Valerian, December 11, 2009, 01:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyWei

"Perhaps she wasn't a rebel, my dear Lady Caeli." Sleepywei propped his head lazily against his fist and absently swirled his goblet. "Perhaps she simply decided to join the majority in voting for Lady Haibane's death. But that doesn't mean that the other four of you weren't conspiring to kill her in the first place."

The councilor set aside his goblet and crossed his legs as he leaned back into a more comfortable position. At the same time, he folded his hands neatly onto his lap and shrugged his shoulders. "Besides, your tone of voice seemed downright defensive and spiteful. Does that not come suspicious to anyone else? I would like to cast my vote on to Lady Caeli."

Valerian

Current Voting (Lynch):

Mithlomwen (3) - sinera, Imogen, Teno
Imogen (2) - Xandi, Moirae
sinera (2) - Mithlomwen, Caeli
Aiden (1) - LadySky
Caeli (1) - SleepyWei
Amberghylles (0)
country (0)
Elandra (0)
Ket (Ribbons & Bows) (0)
Kip (0)
LadySky (0)
Moirae (0)
Ryven (0)
SleepyWei (0)
Teno (0)
Winterborn (0)
Xandi (0)

Yet to vote: Aiden, Amberghylles, country, Elandra, Ket, Kip, Ryven, Winterborn

There are 7 Rebels, 1 Weaponsmaster, 1 Historian, 1 Alchemist, 1 Healer, and 6 Councilors.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Caeli

"It's obvious Marguerite wasn't a rebel - anybody with eyes could see that. But how do you know that the rest of us didn't simply just choose someone at random and follow along because they hadn't a clue who was the traitor?"

Caeli returned the shrug. "Of course, if you have some information you'd like to share with us regarding who is and is not a supporter of Her Majesty, I'm willing to listen."
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

SleepyWei

Sleepywei smirked and held out his hands in a helpless gesture. "Me? Why would I know anything? I'm as clueless to all of this as any other honest councilor. But the simple fact that our fellow voters were haphazardly pointing fingers at one another while a clear half decided on one was suspicious right away."

"And not knowing who killed who but following the group decision simply because they were majority? That sounds like a bunch of helpless lambs being led by a corrupted shepherd. I stand with my decision. Someone among your fellow voters must be a traitor."

country

Yesterday the acid in the tone of two of the knights of this court was such as to sour the wine.  Their haste to their weapons gives pause for thought.

The news that reaches us today, before the matins have even begun, would put us off our porridge.  Vile accusations and insults are flung about with abandon.  Where they alight seems to be by chance; or is it?

Lord Aiden clearly expected to be present this morning and Lord Winterborn prepared himself for the evening with a quantity of weapons. 

Are the assertion correct that those who selected Lady Haibaine are the rebels and that Lady Marguerite innocently voted with the majority?   If so, Lady Caeli’s arguments may be nothing more than a screen to protect herself and her fellow rebels.

Caeli

"If the rebels among us want to kill somebody, I doubt they need to do anything but sit back and let the rest of us bicker. If they're killing one councilor every night, all we need to do is bicker amongst ourselves, and we'll be doing all the work for them."

She calmly plucked a slice of apple from the plate of fruit in front of her. "If you want to have me killed for seeing signs of guilt and following them appropriately, that's fine - you'll be sorry after you kill another innocent councilor, though." It was just a no-win situation with Lord Wei - you were either a sheep, or you were guilty. He'd always been rather bullheaded and short-sighted, unfortunately, and an imminent rebellion wouldn't change that.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

sinera

sinera raised her brows in surprise at the barely-suppressed anger in Caeli's voice. "I said no such thing, Caeli. In fact, though I suspect Mithlomwen's guilt, mostly because Haibane convinced me of it, I said I believed Mith's powers of persuasion convinced the rest to vote against the lady."

"Could it be that you've reacted so violently to my vote against Mithlomwen because you actually are one of her co-conspirators? Or could it be that you are accusing me to draw attention away from yourself? Your behavior is making me wonder, Caeli."
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

Ryven

I am in agreement that Mithlomwen is suspicious.

Mithlomwen

Mith glanced around at everyone, not believing that they were all voting against her.  "You cannot be serious.  Just because I can argue well against someone that was acting suspicious you think I am a traitor?!"  Her eyes showed her disbelief not understanding why everyone had suddenly turned against her. 

"If you kill me, you will all feel like a bunch of traitors yourself for I AM innocent.  I am loyal to our beloved Princess, and upon my death you will see that what I speak is true." 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Winterborn

Lord Winterborn arrived, seeming not a bit bothered by his restless night. Surely his eyes may be slightly shadowed, but sharp nonetheless, and his posture is as rigid and sharp as ever.

"I still hold that Lord Aiden's behavior shows him to be at odds to the goals of this council. He put himself forward for Regent without any support, before or after the nomination. He shows contempt for his peers in full public and refused to show himself a true warrior on the field of battle. He showed himself a craven bastard instead, the very kind who would go skulkin' in the night and take the lives of his fellow nobles with a black-bladed knife."

Looking around at the others, he pounded the table with a large, long-fingered hand, hammering it with the flat of his palm and causing the heavy furnishing to shudder and jump with the force of his blows.

"Damn him, I denounce His Lordship again, and a thousand times till I see a wick'a proof that it isn't so! Take offense if you may," he said directly to his opponent, "and challenge me for my words. We'll see the color of your blood, red or yellow!"

He stood by his chair, then, shoulders heaving with his fury and one hand poised over the hilt of his sword, where it hung from his chair as it had done the day previous. His eyes were fixed on Aiden, and he looked quite frightfully mad at the moment, most likely the lack of sleep showing through at the last. After a moment, he shook himself, and there was an audible click as his sword slid a full inch back into the scabbard, but his eyes never left Aiden.

Caeli

"I am reacting to your words, sinera, because your vote against Lady Mithlomwen is based purely on the fact that she made a good argument, and the person who happened to die was an innocent councilor. Would you so accuse her if the one she had pointed at was a rebel, as might very well have happened? Somebody must always speak first; and if we were all to point blindly and have a four-way tie like Lord Wei over there suggests, we would be no better off than simply sitting here and waiting for the rebels to kill us one by one."

Caeli shrugged. "Of course, since Lord Wei over there is so certain that I am the evil that you must be hunting, and you seem to follow his assumption of guilt by association when no such association exists, then maybe he is the one with co-conspirators on the sly, not I." It was almost amusing, to see the nobles amount them spin about without any sort of direction.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Imogen

"The Lady Sinera's words are not without merit." She leaned towards lady Caeli. "Although I admit that part of my vote for the lady is based on guilty by association. Lord Amberghylles has mentioned his regret that, and I quote his words, "the King has left no proper heir". He has confessed to having conferred privately with lady Mithlomwen on their choices. I do not trust him, and therefor I do not trust her. Truly, my vote should rest with Lord Amberghylles, but as his associate had already been named. It seems wise to band together in these dark times."

With that, she fixed a stern look at Xandi, Moirae, Aiden and Sleepywei.

"And hear me, Lords and Ladies, for until now the four of you have squandered your votes. You have spoken out of spite, and I say this must stop."

"I ask you to put aside what insults have been made against you for the greater good. And in asking so, I offer my own apologies to the lady Moirae for my grief stricken accusation yesterday. I ask you now to make a difference... And tell you openly, if you fail to do so, eyes shall be turned to those who cast their voice to the wayside for their own designs"
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

desert ashes

Moirae's eyes only narrowed further upon Imogen.  How strange one can apologize only to insult again in the same breath.  Still, her gaze did turn away, and her vote changed as she settled her gaze upon sinera
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Valerian

Current Voting (Lynch):

Mithlomwen (4) - sinera, Imogen, Teno, Ryven
sinera (4) - Mithlomwen, Caeli, Moirae, Elandra
Aiden (2) - LadySky, Winterborn
Caeli (2) - SleepyWei, country
Imogen (1) - Xandi
Ryven (1) - Aiden
Amberghylles (0)
country (0)
Elandra (0)
Ket (Ribbons & Bows) (0)
Kip (0)
LadySky (0)
Moirae (0)
SleepyWei (0)
Teno (0)
Winterborn (0)
Xandi (0)

Yet to vote: Amberghylles, Ket, Kip

There are 7 Rebels, 1 Weaponsmaster, 1 Historian, 1 Alchemist, 1 Healer, and 6 Councilors.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Elandra

I agree with those that believe sinera is guilty as sin.
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

Aiden

Aiden's gaze had locked on the babbling noble with annoyance across his brow, when he finally silenced himself he let out a roar of laughter.
"I knew I have seen this before, a young cockerel standing up to the rooster to simply find his place in the world, I said it once and I will say it again...watch your tone boy!"

He sneered at the fellow lord before focusing his attention to the lady who recently addressed him.
"On what evidence do you have that I have squandered my vote? I was not among those who voted for the death of Lady Haibane...her death is not on my conscious now is it?"

His unwavering gaze fell upon her for a few moments until she had his attention.
"I served my King and will serve my queen, I know nothing else but to be a knight...as for the lot of you...pointing fingers. You trust to quickly, I would be weary of those who keep a disciplined tongue to conceal far wicked agendas. Winterborn I do not think you are a man of treachery, I do not consider you cleaver enough...you are simply a pup trying to play with the older hounds. But you Ryven, I have a gut feeling you are hiding something from the rest of us."

Ryven

Your idle speculation means nothing to me.  I have nothing to hide.  I have been and always shall be loyal to the queen.

sinera

sinera rolls her eyes. "You have no proof against me, do you? Tell me - what about me makes you so eager to point your fingers in my direction, hmm? Indeed.

"Still we cast about in darkness for the ones who are responsible; I have long made clear my position: I believe that Her Majesty will grow into a capable ruler, one who can rule this land long and well with or without a male consort. Why would I tear at Her foundation if I wish for her to succeed?

"Perhaps I am being censured now for holding to the truth that a woman is as capable as a man," she shrugs sadly. "Perhaps it is because I speak my mind and argue clearly - in truth, isn't that why many of you voted to lynch Lady Haibane? Because her words made her stand out in your mind.

"Haibane was innocent, as am I. Don't kill me because I put in plain words what others only hint at; don't slay me because you really don't know who to vote for and by golly I'm as good a person to murder as anyone else. If you vote to lynch me, then do it because you honestly believe I am one of the rebels."
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

Mithlomwen

Quote from: sinera on December 23, 2009, 11:53:18 PM
"Perhaps it is because I speak my mind and argue clearly - in truth, isn't that why many of you voted to lynch Lady Haibane? Because her words made her stand out in your mind.

Mithlomwen laughed and blinked at her in amazement.  "So you would accuse others of doing to you  what you are doing to me?"  She shook her head not believing the woman's logic.  To the others in the room, she pointed this out.  "So she was quick to point the finger at me for using my argument and logic against Haibane, but is that not exactly the same thing she is doing to me?  It is ok for her to do that to me.....but yet the fact that I did it against the Lady Haibane makes me a rebel?  By her own logic, that would make her one as well would it not?" 
Baby, it's all I know,

sinera

"I hold secret council with no one. Amberghylles has already admitted that the two of you have held congress behind the backs of us all." She narrowed her eyes. "Did he put you up to accusing Lady Haibane? Is it in fact he who is the rebel, and you are just his willing pawn?" She leaned closer.

"Tell us, Mithlomwen, is Amberghylles true to Her Majesty? Or are you both rebels? How are we to know? All I know is you were the first to accuse Lady Haibane, and she was proved innocent. That doesn't necessarily make you a rebel, but your actions otherwise are suspicious.

"Like I said, convince me that you aren't a rebel and I'll change my vote. So far all you've done is attack me because I voted for you."

Mithlomwen

"And all you have done is attack me because I pointed out the suspicious nature of Lady Haibane.  I know not who the rebels are, all I can do is place my vote on those that seem the most suspicious to me.  Just as you are doing being suspicious of me.  I will guarantee you that I am no rebel.  As for me conferring with Amberghylles, I would ask you to stop and think of those that are conferring with others but are not saying so.  There are most likely underhanded deeds going on behind the scenes that no one knows of.  At least we two have been open and upfront with the fact that we have discussed who we believe the rebels might be."  She paused and sat back down again looking at sinera and cocking her head.  "What say you to that my lady? 
Baby, it's all I know,

sinera

"I have to ask you what it is that I have done to make myself suspicious. All I have done is vote for LadySky to become regent, fuss at Winterborn, Ryven and Aiden for being supercilious gits and support Lady Haibane when she was being attacked. I did vote against Ryven last round, but truthfully, that was because I didn't know who else to vote for and (though I'm embarrassed to admit it) didn't want to be responsible for the death of someone and find out they were an innocent.

"Why have I changed my mind this round? Because Haibane's final words weigh heavy on my heart. Because too many of us loyal to Her Majesty have died. If we lose but four more loyal councilors, then the rebels will outnumber us."

"Fear," she continued. "Fear is what drives us to what we do. I'm afraid that the rebels will continue to winnow us down until only they remain; once that happens, Her Majesty's life is at risk. If my death is necessary to protect her, I lay my life down gladly, though not without a bit of fear. Can you say the same?"

Imogen

Imogen paled at Sinera's words and looked over those present with fear filled eyes. She bowed her head and clutched her rosary between her fingers. "My dear Sinera..." She said softly. "It is no use, my friend. Have you not yet noticed that those who saw Haibane to her doom have now banded together to send you to the henchmen's block?"

"I cannot believe that the Elandra, Caeli, Mithlomwen and Amberghylles - after their misguided judging of lady Haibane - now make the same mistake with pure and innocent hearts. And yes, I do include Lord Amberghylles in this, as i would be highly surprised if he were not waiting to cast his ballot and subject you to the final judgment of our good Lord."

"All I can do..again..is to plead with those of good conscience to make a difference, and cast their vote - change it, if need be - so those whose voices send Haibane to her grave will not take another victim."

Her eyes blazed with religious zeal as she looked over those gathered, before she allowed her eyes to drop back to the wooden beads and count another prayer on the endless string.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Mithlomwen

Mithlomwen looked at Imogen and shook her head, "I am no rebel lady, and should I die at my my fellow counselors hands, you will see that I am in fact speaking the truth, and then your theory of why I spoke out against the Lady Haibane will hold no salt.  What will you do then?  You are so convinced that I am in league with the rebels, or that I am a rebel, what then will you do when that fact is proven to be false and I am shown to be as innocent as you?"
Baby, it's all I know,

Imogen

She swallowed and bowed her head a little deeper, a little frown creasing her brow. "My lady Mithlomwen, you are in a most dire position. Guilt and innocence are not decided by us, but by the good Lord himself, and us, mortals, is left the hard task to find those with ill intent without His wisdom. I pray that He shall guide us to a decision that is just and righteous."

"I am well aware that asking you to lower your voice in respect of your earlier misjudgment may well seal your doom,guilty or innocent, and thus I cannot ask you to change your words."

She now turned her gaze to Mithlomwen. "But it is with all my heart that I pray you are innocent, milady. I am convinced that at least one of you is true to her words. And it tears me apart to see us all so torn. Had not one of you been honest and wise, there would not have been an argument. But there is always a chance, that you both are true supporters of her Highness... and if this should be so, my heart grieves for the rift between her loyal subjects."
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]