Academy Arcanum Interest Thread - M/M Extreme (all male magic boarding school)

Started by Vael the Destroyer, October 16, 2016, 04:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vael the Destroyer

It is the year 2016, and looking past the presidential election of the United States, the bombings in Aleppo, and the devastating wreckage Hurricane Matthew left behind, some may see a world that many have only ever dreamed of, and only a select few are allowed to live in. It is here in this world where smoke and mirror meet to hide the arcanic powers which bend time and space itself to hide these gifted beings who have been gifted enough to harness such abilities. There is not a soul alive who even has an inkling that such beings exist, other than these beings themselves. How they came to be, not even they have a total understanding of that concept, though living in the shadows they have been tasked to learn how to harness their magic, to control it, to use it in times of cosmic crisis to keep the balance when the scales dip too far to one side.

As of late, this task has become increasingly harder. With tensions rising around the world, it has become known to the members of the Order of Arcanum that soon hiding on the earthly plane may no longer be an option. The escalation of fear regarding an all-out human war is becoming a reality, not to mention the Order of Arcanum has their own war to handle. Where there are those who have embraced their magical abilities, there are those who despise them, and so over the years they have formed an order of their own, one that deals in the use of their power as an anti-magic, strong enough to strip the Mages of their power only to obliterate them moments afterwards.

This two-century old magical war is beginning to escalate, and the fate of the magic line hangs in the balance. The Order of Arcanum believes that the solution to this war lie with the young Mages who continue to come into power all around the world. The Arcanum Academies around the world have increased their defenses - and their number of students - over the years, seeking out the young men and women who they are in such desperate need of, hoping and praying to their gods that their line will not die out so that they may continue to uphold the balance of the world.

If not, the Order fears it will be the end of mankind as they know it.

The Academy:

This game will take place in the first Academy of Arcanum, formed at the beginning of socialized civilization. From the start is has always been an exclusively male school, including all faculty. It was not until several centuries later that the Order started to build more upon the magical plane, eventually forming all female schools, and co-ed schools - the co-ed schools not until the turn of the twentieth century A.D., after women received the right to vote.

The original Academy of Arcanum is of the highest nobility. Only the most awarded Mages are allowed to teach and reside there, that goes for the students as well. This academy makes up the most elite of elite Mages, and it is not entirely uncommon for former students to be inducted into the Order as prominent members of Magical society, or for them to become teachers themselves.

However, all students must remember that this is an all male school, seeing as how the Order wishes to preserve the archaic ways the first academy began. Along with the graduated young men becoming prominent members of the Order once graduation is complete, it is easy to say that homosexual debauchery is entirely acceptable in these circumstances, and will not be frowned upon in any way by faculty, though the same cannot be said for the students who do not understand - or wish to partake - in such activities.

Mage Control Levels:

In order for any Mage to be a part of the Order, or be a faculty member at the Academy, the Mage must have a high control level over their power, meaning they have mastered one (or two) archetypes and are able to teach, or watch over students.

Students come in three different control levels: low, medium and high. They are self-explanatory. Students who are just arriving at the Academy will automatically be marked as 'low' control level, regardless of what their control level truly is. After about a year to three years, students can then be moved up to 'medium' control level where they will stay for quite some time. They are not a danger to any of the other mages, however they are still not permitted to be paired with unstable, low-level mages. Mages reach a 'high' level of control when they are close to mastering a archetype. How long it takes to reach this level of control varies from student-to-student, so some high-level students can be as young as twenty-five, others close to their sixties or even older. Once mages reach a high-level of control, they are allowed to volunteer to be paired with a unstable, low-level mage in need of help. Ultimately being paired is the choice of the high-level mage and the low-level mage. The two must come to an agreement along with the council.

Academy Admissions:

The Academy does not accept applicants for admission until said applicants have reached the end stages of puberty - when the magic of the Mage begins to flourish, and is then able to be harnessed and trained to master in a healthy, non-harmful way. For most Mages this period of time usually arises at eighteen years of age, though it is not entirely uncommon for this period of time to begin as young as sixteen years of age, or as far as twenty-two years of age. It all depends on the mage, and the level of their power source within them.

Mages who tend to have the most stable, creative sense of their magical ability begin to flourish at the appropriate time when modern society considers them “adults”. Mages who flourish at a younger age, or older age than eighteen tend to have a more difficult time mastering their power, which can be potentially destructive. These applicants tend to be segregated from the rest of the class until they are able to control their magic with the might of their own will and knowledge.

If the Academies council begins to wonder if a Mage will ever be able to control their power, they will investigate the mage in question. If the council deems the Mage unfit to wield magic on their own accord, they will bind the Mage’s power to another student - one whose control level is vastly superior - or a staff member. When a Mage’s powers are bound to another’s, it creates a link between the two of them, empowering the both of them on a magnetic, magical, and physical level. This kind of relationship is called a “Pair”. The more stable mage of the two is considered the “Arcanist”, while the lesser of the two is considered the “Apprentice”.

More often than not when this link is created, it will never be severed. With the influx of students flowing into all Arcanum Academies, the act of “Pairing” has become a very common practice, and most members of the Order have Apprentices.

Academy Courses:

As it has been and as it will always be, there are no strict guidelines as to what one Mage can study while they are at the Academy. Courses have been split into three different archetypes. Unstable Mages are usually put through all three archetypes before Paired, unless they specifically ask not to be. Mages who are ambitious and stable enough are allowed to learn all three of the archetypes if they wish, however it is rare that any Mage can master all three in one lifetime - even though Mages live twice, to three times as long as non-magic humans do.

The three different Archetypes are listed below:

Wizard: The ‘Wizard’ archetype is the choice a mage can make when they wish to master the most powerful aspects of the arcane magic in it’s truest, and concentrated form. Through taking such courses over the years a Wizard will learn how to bend time and space itself, allowing the total halt of time for short periods, alter gravity, and go back-and-forth in time. Telekinesis, mind control, enhanced senses, astral projection, conjuring, and offensive bolts of concentrated magic are a good chunk of what a powerful Wizard can accomplish in one lifetime.

Elementalist: The “Elementalist” archetype is quite easy to understand, however difficult in it’s own right to master. To bend the elements, to force fire, wind, water, earth, and lightning to obey one’s command is no easy feat. These Mages tend to be equally defensive as offensive, and quite difficult to defeat in battle. Many Mages are drawn to this archetype due to its destructive nature, though it is most definitely not for those without personal discipline. Many a time has a young, arrogant Mage met their own demise due to lack of control of their power.

Necromancer: The “Necromancer” archetype is the darkest of origin out of the three. More often than not Necromancers deal in black and blood magic, the summoning of demons, necromancy, voodoo rituals, transference of life-force, controlling minds, bringing forth plague and famine. The strongest of Necromancers can dismantle a small army without leaving their bedchambers, and with only shedding a drop of their precious blood. Many Necromancers are Paired, and stabilize their power by using their Apprentices as an energy source, taking it from them by drinking vials of Apprentice blood, or engaging in sexual acts to bring forth power. Though with this dark power comes hushed whispers in the hallways, it is not inherently evil. Power is only evil if the one wielding it wishes it to be so.

Rules and Regulations:

• This game will be a freeform sandbox game with a world plots and smaller plots that you can choose to partake in if you so wish.
  • I ask that we all be kind to one another. You know of the rules on Elliquiy, I do not wish to have to post them here. Do not badger for posts, do not attack one another. If you feel uncomfortable with another player, please let me know and I will handle the situation as I see fit.
  • Enjoy this world. If you have any questions or anything you would like to add or suggest to the storyline, please let me know via PM. I’m always up for hearing what my fellow writers have in mind.

Vael the Destroyer

Character Creation

• All students are limited to one Archetype. Teachers can have one or two archetypes, however must have a main archetype that they teach, they may not teach both.
  • I would enjoy keeping the Character number count down, so as of right now the character cap is two characters, and neither of these characters may be the same archetype of Mage. Also if you have a character that works as a teacher or a staff member as your first character, your second character must be a student with a different archetype to assure a larger spectrum instead of having all of the students and faculty be one archetype.
  • I would prefer that all Mages are left unpaired in the beginning of the game, assuring connections being made before a pairing happens. All pairings must be approved and sanctioned by the Headmaster.
  • When you are ready to turn in your character sheet for approval, please message me with the header: "Academy Arcanum Character Sheet" so it is easy for me to pick them out

Available Positions

Faculty:

• Headmaster: NPC
    • Head Professor of Necromancer Studies: 0 position available
    • Head Professor of Wizard Studies: 0 position available
    • Head Professor of Elementalist Studies: 0 position available
    • Unpaired Professors: 2 position(s) available

Students:

• Unpaired Low Control Level Students: no limit
  • Unpaired Medium Control Level Students: 2 position(s) available
  • Unpaired High Control Level Students: 1 positions(s) available

Positions Reserved

• Unpaired Professor: 1 Position Reserved

Character Sheets

[/list][float=right][img height=300 padding=5][/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b] (What is the name of your character?)
[b]Occupation:[/b] (is your character a student, a teacher, or another form of faculty?)
[b]Control Level:[/b] (if faculty, automatically ‘high’. If students, can range between low and high)
[b]Primary Archetype:[/b] (what archetype is your mage studying, or has mastered?)
[b]Secondary Archetype:[/b] (only applicable for faculty. If student, please put N/A)
[b]Paired:[/b] (is your mage paired to another? If so, whom?)
[b]Age:[/b] (how old is your character? Remember, Mages can live to be twice as old as humans, and their aging slows dramatically after they flourish)
[b]Hair:[/b] (what is the color/style of your characters hair?)
[b]Eyes:[/b] (what is the eye color of your character?)
[b]Height:[/b] (how tall is your character?)
[b]Body Type:[/b] (what is your characters body type? Thin, athletic, chubby?)

[b]Player Name:[/b] (what is your E screen name?)
[b]Face Claim:[/b] (what is the name of the face claim for your character?)

[b]Personality:[/b] (please explain your characters personality. It can be personality traits, or a paragraph explaining it)

[b]History:[/b] (please give a short version of your characters history. Feel free to leave out bits to throw into the storyline. However, please include the age your Mage flourished, and the age they came to the academy)

[b]Sexuality:[/b] (how does your character identify themselves sexually?[/b]
[b]Ons:[/b] (both sexual and non-sexual)
[b]Offs:[/b] (both sexual and non-sexual)

[b]Notes:[/b] (if there is anything else you’d like to add, put it here)

Florence

Hmm, I don't often play male characters these days, but that does also mean it's an itch I haven't exactly been scratching lately.

I'll drop a tentative bit of interest on here. I've got some other games and other stuff off E that may or may not pan out, but if I've got the time for this I could definitely give it a swing.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Vael the Destroyer

Faustus

*pokes head in* Sooo I'm not sure if you want us to state interest yet, but. . .You have my intrigue. It's been quite some time since I played a character like this, and I am very curious~~

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Faustus on October 20, 2016, 12:03:16 PM
*pokes head in* Sooo I'm not sure if you want us to state interest yet, but. . .You have my intrigue. It's been quite some time since I played a character like this, and I am very curious~~

Of course! I would love to hear stated interests at all times. :3 If you have any questions, you know how to reach me. <3

Vael the Destroyer

Adjusted some things. Character sheets now open! Warlocks now called "Necromancers".

Orange Marmalade

Vael the Destroyer

Lockepick

I'm also interested!

Though I admit that the Necromancers could use a more positive bent. Like right now it basically just sounds like 'villain' class. I'm sure there are good applications for what they're doing? If not, why are they actually an archetype that's taught?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Vael the Destroyer

They are good, they just dabble in the darker side of magic. Unless they choose to be bad, which is a personal choice.

Vael the Destroyer

So, I have a question for those of you who have shown interest:

Would you rather keep the three archetype magic system? Or would you rather go about magic in a totally unbound way? (For example being able to use magic to do whatever one can set their mind to)

Orange Marmalade

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on October 24, 2016, 06:23:52 AM
So, I have a question for those of you who have shown interest:

Would you rather keep the three archetype magic system? Or would you rather go about magic in a totally unbound way? (For example being able to use magic to do whatever one can set their mind to)

I like the archetype system, if only because it helps with uniqueness a bit even if there's some overlap.

Vael the Destroyer

CurvyKitten

Possibily interested, if you don't mind woman playing male character? Its fine either way. :)

Vael the Destroyer

Of course I don't mind! All gender of writers welcome, just and all-boys school.

CurvyKitten

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on October 24, 2016, 07:03:44 AM
Of course I don't mind! All gender of writers welcome, just and all-boys school.

Well count me in! And I am all for the different archtypes.

Vael the Destroyer

Lockepick

My two cents -- spoiler-ed because nobody freakin' asked you, Lockepick

I like the idea of the archetypes! Anything that differentiates characters in a world where you're doing magic is always a good thing! That being said -- it doesn't seem like the idea is done 'cooking' yet. I'm not really sure what 'lines' are drawn here. Necromancer is defined by how they learn magic, Elementalist is defined by what magic they use, and Wizard seems like more of a generalist.

Based on the write ups, my first reactions were:
- Wizard seems like it can do everything that the other two can. I'm not suggesting 'they're OP' -- more like, not sure what makes them really different.
- Necromancer seems pretty dark (if not evil) themed. I know you've said otherwise, and I assumed otherwise, but the write up makes them seem more like the villains. Changing the name to Necromancer didn't help here either!

I might suggest considering one aspect of an archetype and designing them around that.
- Could do 'Magical Source': Wizard = Arcane; Elementalist = 'Nature' energy; Necromancer = Life/Soul/Internal
- Could do 'How': Wizard = Study, Rituals, words of power; Elementalist = More physical (hand gestures, martial arts); Necromancer = Sacrifice (in a general sense, not always with murdering babies)
- Could based them each off a philosophy, ala Harry Potter Houses.

TL;DR: I do like the idea of archetypes! They're pretty vital in a game like this to offer some character differentiation. Though I'm not really sure I understand them as currently written.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Lockepick on October 24, 2016, 08:39:56 AM
My two cents -- spoiler-ed because nobody freakin' asked you, Lockepick

I like the idea of the archetypes! Anything that differentiates characters in a world where you're doing magic is always a good thing! That being said -- it doesn't seem like the idea is done 'cooking' yet. I'm not really sure what 'lines' are drawn here. Necromancer is defined by how they learn magic, Elementalist is defined by what magic they use, and Wizard seems like more of a generalist.

Based on the write ups, my first reactions were:
- Wizard seems like it can do everything that the other two can. I'm not suggesting 'they're OP' -- more like, not sure what makes them really different.
- Necromancer seems pretty dark (if not evil) themed. I know you've said otherwise, and I assumed otherwise, but the write up makes them seem more like the villains. Changing the name to Necromancer didn't help here either!

I might suggest considering one aspect of an archetype and designing them around that.
- Could do 'Magical Source': Wizard = Arcane; Elementalist = 'Nature' energy; Necromancer = Life/Soul/Internal
- Could do 'How': Wizard = Study, Rituals, words of power; Elementalist = More physical (hand gestures, martial arts); Necromancer = Sacrifice (in a general sense, not always with murdering babies)
- Could based them each off a philosophy, ala Harry Potter Houses.

TL;DR: I do like the idea of archetypes! They're pretty vital in a game like this to offer some character differentiation. Though I'm not really sure I understand them as currently written.

It's totally okay that you don't understand them as they are written. I don't expect everyone to perceive and understand my vision for this game the way I have set it up. Because it's just that: this game is a vision of mine. I appreciate you delving so deep and intellectuaizing the game on a level that I haven't, but for me I don't necessarily deem it necessary to pull back the layers of the onion that far, so to speak.

Course it could also be fair to say that I could explain in greater detail where each power is derived from and the source, I just believed that to be self-explanatory with what else was described in the Archetypes. Yes, Wizards draw their power from the arcane, yes Elementalists draw their power from nature, and yes - Necromancers do draw their power from life/blood/spiritual energy. I just thought that to be a given understanding.

Roen

Interested, will have to read it more in-depth, but I'm certainly interested.

Come and Write with Me! (O/Os and Ideas)
Even the oldest of sights has a moment of rebirth.
-Nathan Alterman.

Ryven

Vael the Destroyer

Faustus

I'll be designing for you this weekend, Symph! Can we do any sort of reservation on spots or Face Claims?

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Vael the Destroyer

Yes, if you wish to reserve a spot please PM me and I shall reflect that in the spots open.

As for face claims, I'd be more than happy to create a list of them so they are not doubled up.