E using heaps of data on Iphone

Started by Nuttyxprincess, December 18, 2015, 12:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuttyxprincess

Ok tech savvy people who understand a lot more than me.

My phone has been chewing through mobile data, the cause - according to optus - is tumblr.com.

Now, I have been on E for a while, I have been roleplaying longer, I am not silly enough to click tumblr links while on mobile data because they chew through the data something fierce. But recently just opening the home page of E was using 20 mb of data.

So, troubleshooted, thought about it, and tested a few things. With only allowing access to mobile data through safari, and only loading the home page of E (the one with all the thread links), I used 23mb in a few seconds. What the? So, then I thought about what I could do to test further so I deleted my biggest PM threads, then reset the data counter, started again. 1 mb used. MUCH better.

SOOOO my question is, how the hell do I stop LINKS. Not embedded images with the [img] around it, but just links from somehow auto downloading even if I am not accessing that part of the website? I don't want to have to tell people to not send me links, but I also don't want to chew through the data I have, or even worse, not access E at work!:)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

Nutty
Holidays end this weekend. :( Last term for the year, but normally the most stressful!

~ O/O  ~ Artwork ~ Random Thoughts ~

Vekseid

...you would think Apple would be smarter than that.

You want to look for prefetching / preloading options in your settings and stop them, obviously : /

AmberStarfire

I didn't realise any browsers did that. You could try putting Chrome on your phone and see if it does the same thing?

As for other things...

You could disable avatars and signatures under your profile settings. If you've got long, ongoing PM discussions with people, you could create new PM threads where there aren't any images added in and that won't use as much data to load.

I usually just avoid Finders and Seekers unless I'm on wifi.

gaggedLouise

I'm using Chrome on pc much of the time to access the site and when it's from home I tend to have a couple of different tabs open on different E threads and stuff, apart from the main page...plus a bunch of non-E tabs. Now I've got a fast fiber broadband, and this is on pc, not a phone or tablet, but it really doesn't feel like the main page equals twenty megabytes of data every time it loads. If it did, it would be a bit heavier going.

But I've noticed on other pages that some social media links and features can take a long time to load and really slow down a page, more because of the amount of scripts they'll pull in than for the weight of data in itself. On newspaper sites, for example, if every article has "Who tweeted this?" and "who shared this on FB?" buttons, it can slow the load a whole lot sometimes.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Nuttyxprincess

Quote from: AmberStarfire on December 22, 2015, 11:44:43 PM
I didn't realise any browsers did that. You could try putting Chrome on your phone and see if it does the same thing?

As for other things...

You could disable avatars and signatures under your profile settings. If you've got long, ongoing PM discussions with people, you could create new PM threads where there aren't any images added in and that won't use as much data to load.

I usually just avoid Finders and Seekers unless I'm on wifi.

Thank you for the advice all,

Vekseid, I haven't been able to find any of those, but would think that if it was preloading pms, it would preload all my bookmarks too, which it doesn't.

Amber, I avoid any thread that I know had a lot of images in it if I am on data, I was even experimenting with just the home page for a bit, as I said, once I deleted the pm with a lot of links in it (which wasn't a problem for data usage until recently) the data usage dropped dramatically, just unsure why e would load the pms when I was on the home page or my bookmarks page?

Louise, I would like to know how my phone which struggles with data for a 1mb download normally can chew through 20mb of data in a few seconds!

I would agree though. That if it was a 20mb load for the home page it would be a lot slower for all.

I will have to experiment with chrome perhaps. Otherwise I will just have to delete my pms with links (it doesn't auto load spoiler end links in other threads either, as a side note for those who may be able to figure out why it was doing it.
Holidays end this weekend. :( Last term for the year, but normally the most stressful!

~ O/O  ~ Artwork ~ Random Thoughts ~

jouzinka

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A