To the stars, the slow way. (Could use some more ladies?)

Started by Chrystal, May 21, 2011, 04:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Hi, and welcome, BokenCollar

The ship's Purser is the one with the keys to the safe (other than the captain). (S)He is responsible for making sure the ships accounts are balanced, that the crew get paid, that any passenger's valuables are kept under lock and key. Basically (s)he's the ships banker and/or accountant.

And "Eep". You are quite right, there should indeed be a Master At Arms aboard the ship.(S)He would be the one with the key to the weapons locker (besides the Captain). The Master At Arms would be responsible for security aboard the ship. would probably be skilled at unarmed combat, and would also be the weapons officer on the bridge, again having the second key to the weapons control console.

Note: two types of weapons: small-arms in the weapons locker would fire low velocity flechet rounds, designed to cause maximum damage to human tissue while not penetrating the ship's hull. There would also be stun guns available. Ships Weaponry would be hull mounted, probably a single missile turret with a magazine holding 4 to 6 conventionally tipped radar guided missiles.

So, yeah, I will add Master at arms to the list, and thanks for the reminder!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

BrokenCollar

Then without further adue....

Player Name:BrokenCollar
Character Name:Jack 'Ripper' Larkin
Age (Actual):72
Age (Subjective): 28
Position wanted: Master at Arms
Personality: Hard. Not necessarily by the book but the job gets done. Keeps to himself. Bitter and sarcastic. deliberate about driving people away. Always on time. Ever dutiful.
History: Born Glasgow, Scotland. Former Commander in the ISSTF (Inter-Stellar Special Task Force). Spend much of his life in space. Due to travelling in the currently fastest ships in space, those in the ISSTF fleet, as had a great age dilation effect. After 4o years of dedicated service, joining at 16, he was dishonourably discharged after a fire fight with the notorious Beta Station Butcher went wrong. Highly trained in all kinds of combat as well as basic skills in piloting, usually atmospheric craft or 4 man interception shuttles, and field aid. Worked briefly as a bounty hunter before signing on board for this crew.
Appearance:
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/c/cc/J._Hayes.jpg
Sorry to anyone I was talking too or planning an RP with. My health took a turn for the worse and am now back on my feet. Hope you all understand.

Chrystal

Love it! Character is approved.

Of course, navy ships would accelerate harder than one gravity, probably pulling anything up to two or three g for a sustained period, and would also be more manoeuvrable, being capable of 10g turns without braking up... Of course, 10g for more that a second or two would kill the crew!

Something no-one has pulled me up on *looks at Bigwad with a grin* is the fact that I said the new ships are faster that the old ones...

If you've read the science bit, you'll know that there is a maximum speed and that is the speed of light, and no matter how hard you try you can never quite get to it... and all the civilian ships accelerate at a constant 1 gravity.

But of course, if you load the ship heavier, it takes more power to maintain that acceleration. Once operating at maximum power, if you then add more cargo, the acceleration will drop.

So, by "faster", I mean able to haul a greater mass at the same acceleration. Of course, unladen, the ship would be able to accelerate much harder, but that would prove unsustainable for a civilian crew, not to mention passengers and/or light cargo.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

bigwad73

Newer ships can boost harder, sure, but it's the same old people.  Maybe there are some drugs or something that could be given to high-G crews to negate some of the detrimental effects of higher than normal gravity/acceleration, but everyone's going to want to live the 1G life, since there's no artificial gravity.

But, overall, newer stuff will be more reliable, have better Isp (use fuel more efficiently), and boost longer.  So, eventually newer stuff will outpace the older. 

But on the other hand, who cares?  *does his Ruby Rhod impersonation*    ;D
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

BrokenCollar

As a note to my character -will be added to my sheet in a later edit-, higher than normal gravity would provide greater muscle growth, easpecially over such a long period, resulting in a permanant muscular figure.

Sorry to anyone I was talking too or planning an RP with. My health took a turn for the worse and am now back on my feet. Hope you all understand.

Chrystal

Quote from: BrokenCollar on May 29, 2011, 06:26:17 PM
As a note to my character -will be added to my sheet in a later edit-, higher than normal gravity would provide greater muscle growth, easpecially over such a long period, resulting in a permanant muscular figure.

This is true.

Of course the whole issue about faster ships may well be academic by the time we get where we're going. We spend eleven years objective travelling time getting out to Epsilon Eridani, only to discover when we get there that a ship that left Earth five years after us got there four years ago objective time, having done the 10 light year journey in a little under six months objective time, and about two weeks subjective!

But so far as we're aware, FTL is still a good fifty to a hundred years away from being discovered!

Oh, and Bigwad, thanks for that list of stars. I'm bookmarking it for future reference! :D

bigwad73

Quote from: Chrystal on May 30, 2011, 03:33:49 AM
This is true.

Of course the whole issue about faster ships may well be academic by the time we get where we're going. We spend eleven years objective travelling time getting out to Epsilon Eridani, only to discover when we get there that a ship that left Earth five years after us got there four years ago objective time, having done the 10 light year journey in a little under six months objective time, and about two weeks subjective!

But so far as we're aware, FTL is still a good fifty to a hundred years away from being discovered!

Oh, and Bigwad, thanks for that list of stars. I'm bookmarking it for future reference! :D

There's a really good story--"Far Centaurus"--about a -slow- sublight ship that is overtaken by FTL technology development elsewhere.  A. E. van Vogt is the author, I think.  *shows off his literary SF knowledge*

Google "SolStation"--it's done by a fan of the Merchanter Universe, and has a good list of the nearby stars, focusing on Sun-like ones.  That should keep you busy all day, Chrystal.  :)

I'm going to fix my character's bio, but it will be in the same place--just editing it.
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

Chrystal

Trying to avoid double post here... sure, it's GM's privileged to double post, but I still try not to...

The ship:

I've tried to draw her but I'm just not that good an artist. So I will offer here a description and anyone who wants to try and draw her is welcome to try.

Hmm... I've had a look on google and this is probably the closest image I can find to what the ship should look like:

Ignore the shuttle. Wouldn't be there. The habitat ring at the "front" of the ship would actually be concealed behind the ram-scoop field generator and an ablation shield.

The cargo holds would also be "Above" the habitat ring. Below the ring would be fuel storage tanks. These feed into a massive reactor chamber. The reactor is a fusion reactor - a miniature star, contained within magnetic containment fields and tons of shielding. This reactor powers everything on the ship, and the carbon created by the fusion of helium atoms is ejected out of the back as reaction mass,  or something like that.... I'm not going to get bogged down in the details of an interstellar fusion drive.

The habitat ring is basically three decks. The top deck is where the bridge is and the bulk of the crews quarters, also the galley. Deck 2 would be extra living accommodation, stores, and valuable cargo. Deck three is the machine shop, engineering, hydroponics, science lab, medical bay, brig (just in case), gymnasium and anything else the ship might need that I've forgotten about.

Every crew member has their own cabin. The officers have a state-room consisting of an outer office and an inner cabin. Captains is closest to the bridge on one side, the galley is on the opposite side from the bridge, then the mess hall and off duty lounge.. Each room on the ship is wedge shaped, with the corridor running around the inside of the ring. Each crewman's cabin is about half the size of the officer's cabin, that is a quarter the size of the state room.

Each crew cabin contains a bed, a work station with computer terminal (and entertainment centre), a private shower room with toilet, and enough storage to put everything away.

Officers cabins will usually have an easy chair and small coffee table, in place of the work station, and a double bed instead of a single. The outer office of the stateroom would have a desk (with built in work-station), several chairs, and in the Captain's cabin, the alcohol cabinet.

All furniture is bolted to the floor and moves on tracks if it needs to move. Everything has a place to be put away where it can be secured. (If you don't know the reason for this and want to, or think your character ought to, please PM me)

Oh, directly underneath the habitat ring is the ship's mainframe computer.

Every human function on the ship is assisted by the computer. Everything from plotting the course, to physically moving the cargo, is computer assisted.

(And yes, I mean every human function with the possible exception of sex - even going to the bathroom. All waste products are analysed and either used as nutrients in the hydroponics bays or fuel for the reactors. All water is extracted and purified for re-use!

Anything I've forgotten, please tell me!

Angel Fire

It looks very sweet!

I may have a medic if anyone really wants to be cured of any ailments or have any other needs.

I'll get something up after I get home from work this evening. *Smiles*
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

Chrystal

Looking forward to it...

I'm still waiting on characters from a couple of folks, but I think I may actually have enough players to start.

I'll open an OOC thread in the next day or two, but right now I'm going to update the "cast list" with whom is who...

BrokenCollar

Just thought about maby an amroury/ shooting range next to the gymnaseum?

I was also wondering what posts were actually officers?

You said everything had a place, so how much place is allocated to personal items? Are there certain standard items in every crew quarter?

Are their lifts between the floors or stairs? Is there any kind of secondary transit systen round the ship? In Start Trek terms, jeffrys tubes?

If we do start will their only be PC(player characters) or NPCs as well?

Chrystal

Good questions all, and a $5 fine... *winks*

Quote from: BrokenCollar on May 31, 2011, 01:18:59 PM
Just thought about maby an amroury/ shooting range next to the gymnaseum?

Good idea. The armoury would be on deck 3, and as mentioned, the Captain and the MaA have the only two keys. A shooting range would be a good idea, and it would be available to all crew members and passengers. However, most users would be restricted to firing low-powered laser rifles, that would probably not do you much good if fired into your eye but otherwise are completely harmless. The computer would run simulations in much the same way as a present day video game.

QuoteI was also wondering what posts were actually officers?

This is the merchant marine. The distinction between officer and enlisted is therefore blurred, and there is no such thing as a non-commissioned officer.

The officers are, in order of seniority:

Captain
First Officer
Chief Engineer    
Navigator
Purser    
Cargo Officer
Master At Arms

QuoteYou said everything had a place, so how much place is allocated to personal items? Are there certain standard items in every crew quarter?

Every crew member has what is called a "Dunnage Allowance". (Dunnage refers to packing materials used to keep freight from shifting in transit, but it can also refer to excess items brought onto a ship by a crew member.) The exact dunnage allowance is the maximum laden mass of the ship, less the actual mass of ship, fuel, stores and cargo, divided by the number of personnel on board, and then subtract the mass of the individual...

However, for the purpose of the role-play, use common sense. Two medium sized bags of clothes or one large one, a small number of personal items such as musical instruments of SENSIBLE size... if you can carry it in one hand and fit it through a turnstile then it's allowed, if in doubt, please ask.

WEAPONS ARE STRICTLY INTERDICTED. If you want to smuggle one on board, please PM me and I will let you know if you get away with it!

Standard items... Yes. I already mentioned a work station with computer console and entertainment centre - it can show movies, play games, play music, basically anything your PC can do, plus it is linked to the ship's systems and will permit crew to access their duty roster, and in some cases perform certain functions without leaving their cabin. In the "head" (shower room) there would be a soap dispenser. The bed would have a set of sheets already there, but would need to be made up for crew. Passengers would have their bed made for them. Each bed is equipped with straps to hold the occupant in place for zero g.

QuoteAre their lifts between the floors or stairs? Is there any kind of secondary transit systen round the ship? In Start Trek terms, jeffrys tubes?

Lifts and stairs. Stairs are in case the power goes out. The ship itself is a little over a kilometre long, and there are access tubes to all parts of the ship, yes. Not all of them are pressurised, however. Within the habitat ring, there is no real need for a secondary system. The ring is about 50m in diameter, and the inner corridor is 45m in diameter. It is therefore 141m around.

There is a long lift running up and down the main core of the ship, and a spiral staircase runs around it. Note that a kilometre is a long way to fall!

QuoteIf we do start will their only be PC(player characters) or NPCs as well?

IF? IF? Heh... If I was a more sensitive soul I'd be hurt by that...! (kidding)

Any crew positions not filled will be NPCs. I would expect that we will fill most of the officer positions, but few of the crewman positions. Officer positions unfilled will simply be ignored until such time as either someone joins the RP and takes them or they are required for a vital part of the plot (when they will be NPCed).

OH and I have another room to add to deck 3: The laundry.

Crew do their own laundry. Officers and Passengers have it done for them by the stewards.

BrokenCollar

Thanks for the answers.

One thing I forgot, I'm guessing that as a merchant ship there wouldn't be a uniform? at least not a strict one like a militay ship...

Just wear something appropriate?

Now to the juicy questions, what form of contraception is onboard?

Are relationships on board permitted?

Chrystal

Nope, no uniform. Dress code is Smart Casual at all times if passengers are on board, or when on duty if there are no passengers. Nudity is not permitted in public areas of the ship, and if you are caught running naked around the deck 3 corridor you will be punished, unless you have a VERY good reason.

OH I suppose the gym should probably have a sauna and steam room...

Contraception? Whatever you brought on board with you, I would imagine... other than that I suggest you ask the doc... *giggles* Um yeah, probably a substantial supply of condoms, pills and the like.

And do I really need to answer that question?

Well yeah, actually, I do...

Officially, the answer is no, they aren't. Company policy is that crew are transferable between ships at any time. However, a lot of the older ships not only have couples, but children on board. Children who have never set foot off the ship. In fact the very oldest ships are beginning a second generation, the grandchildren of the original crew.

So, while officially, ship-board relationships are frowned upon, unofficially, they are not just allowed, but encouraged. It is totally unrealistic to put a group of adults in a tin can for two subjective years and expect them to remain celibate.

(And just out of interest, how many of you would have dropped out if I'd said relationships were categorically NOT permitted under any circumstances? *chuckles*)

Chrystal

(GM's double-post privilege)

Smuggling items on board also applies to anything else that might be illegal.

If you have a desire to try, PM me.

Question Mark

What's this?  Hard science fiction in MY Elliquiy?  (it's more likely than I thought, apparently)

Sign me up, put me down, log me in, and so on and so forth.  I'm on this like fleas on a dog.  I'll be sending you a PM ASAP with some questions, suggestions, and a character profile.

WOOHOO, THIS IS AWESOME!

Question Mark

Sorry for the double post, but I appear to be Deverified.  Don't even know what that is.  But, w/e it is, it's not letting me edit, check my PMs, or do much of anything really.  So my PM won't be arriving ASAP, unless I get this all figured out of course.  Just an FYI

Angel Fire

Hi Question Mark,

Please see this post regarding deverification and how to get out of that.  Look forward to RPing with you soon!

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=63450.0

Anyhew, I'll see what I can come up with in my next post for our sweet Medic!
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.

Angel Fire

Player Name: Angel Fire
Character Name: Adrienne McCauley
Age (Actual): 28
Position wanted: Medic
Personality: Very curious about things, especially around people and helpful at times.  Wants to learn more about her own field and the field that she is working on board the ship
History: This voyage is the first space bound experience in her life.  A Psychologist by trade, Adrienne wants to be on board a star ship and see the galaxies, but she just did not want to be a passenger.  With her basic medical knowledge from her time in Medical school, she is trying to come on board as a Medic.  She hopes that with her time on board, she can not only help people from getting any space sicknesses of insanity but also to be able to help with any medical emergencies if she is ever called for them
Appearance:

BrokenCollar

Just a quick question,

How advanced is the technology on board? Do we use scanners in the medical bay or still just like modern day?

What would the gym be like? Just treadmills and weights or some kind floating orb for shooting practice?

Mabye play frisbee with low level laser pistols?

Are holograms about yet?

Are there advances in technology that may apply to the bedroom? Some kind of ultra-violte light that acts as a vibrator?

Are there any new kinds of restraints? 

So mabye not so short....

Chrystal

Classic! Character is definitely approved.

Welcome aboard, Angel Fire.

Question Mark, you get deverified when you haven't said or done anything for ages, and the email they sent to you bounced back. To get re-verified you just email one of the staff. It's all in that link Angel Fire sent.

Quote from: BrokenCollar on June 01, 2011, 12:18:34 PM
Just a quick question,

How advanced is the technology on board? Do we use scanners in the medical bay or still just like modern day?

Well, as we currently have medical scanners, I think the answer to that question is "Yes". But they are a lot smaller. (The first person to use the word 'tricorder' is going out the nearest airlock!) I think the level of medical technology is something that Angel and I need to discuss... Cybernetic implants and replacement parts, limb regrowth, wound healing in about a third the time it normally takes, and yet we stall can't stop people getting a common cold!

QuoteWhat would the gym be like? Just treadmills and weights or some kind floating orb for shooting practice?

Light-sabres and all.... Use the force, Luke!  ......   Er, no. No artificial gravity, remember? No artificial gravity means no anti-gravity, which means no floating balls.

I can't see gym equipment changing much over the centuries. It will be computer controlled. You put your ID card in and the computer accesses your medical records and your personality profile and comes up with the ideal routine for you... It automatically selects the level of resistance and time or reps for each machine.

QuoteMabye play frisbee with low level laser pistols?

You have the firing range for that.

QuoteAre holograms about yet?

Yes. There is one on your credit card, right now... Or do you mean three-dimensional projected images? Yes, they have been around since the 1970s... In our game, you won't need green/red lens spectacles to see them in 3D.

If you mean hard-light three dimensional images that you can interact with as if they were human, as per the Rodenberry Universe, no they aren't!

QuoteAre there advances in technology that may apply to the bedroom? Some kind of ultra-violte light that acts as a vibrator?

Bionic enhancements, perhaps? *giggles* I would imagine that advances in genetics would mean that enhancements such as a one foot tall piano player (Very old joke), gallon jugs, etc, would be easy to achieve and much more natural than at present. But they would be expensive. Other than that, we've been doing it the same way for millions of years, what's to improve on?

One thing I could see, would be nanotech contraceptives and sexual enhancers. Basically, microscopic robots that live inside the woman's sex and make sure she can't get pregnant, and also act as a lubricant and internal stimulator.

QuoteAre there any new kinds of restraints? 

Well, again, I can't see any real improvement being made on plastic cable ties...

QuoteSo mabye not so short....

But sweet, none the less...

Chrystal

MAJOR ANOUNCMENT

The OOC thread is open.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=108794.0

First post is basically a conglomeration of all my technical posts in answer to people's technical questions so far.

Second post is a list of threads...

Please post in the OOC thread to let me know you are still in?

Question Mark

Player Name: Question Mark

Character Name: Noel Carro

Age (Actual): 79

Age (Subjective): 45

Position wanted: Chief Engineer

Personality: Surprisingly down-to-earth for someone who spends such little time with dirt under his boots.  He takes each day with a fresh perspective, each problem with a knowing chuckle.  He likes to think of himself as an eternal optimist.  Socially, he's an introvert, preferring to spend time around the solid and predictable world of physics and engineering.  He can talk a good talk, though, but feels out of his element around people.  He has a couple of minor eccentricities as well.

History: Noel grew up in Connecticut, USA, and attended a college for astrogation engineering, knowing from the beginning that he wanted to help run one of the ramjets braving the depths of space.  He apprenticed onboard the Iabara Crusier, a typical ferry between Alpha Centauri and Earth, earning a spot as a paid crewmember after two trips.  He spent the majority of his career onboard the Cruiser before it was decommissioned.  His crew scattered - some quitting, others wanting to continue "short" trips to nearby systems - and Noel found himself signing up for one of the newer transports, the kind designed to travel to the farthest outposts.

Appearance:

Chrystal

Character is approved on the condition that you get yourself re-verified...

I'm sure you have done so and are just waiting for them to re-instate you.

MarilynCarry

Player Name: Marilyn Carry

Character Name: Kikuchi Makoto

Age (Actual):  19

Age (Subjective): NA

Position wanted:  Chief Radio Operator

Personality: Makoto acts very tomboyish...and in fact...sounds like a teenage boy to many people.  She is energetic lively and a real go-getter.  She's generally more interested in running around and stuff, but at night she can become a bit more seductive, if she's in need of a girl for the night.  However, to all, she will be friendly.  She may be easy to annoy, and tiff off, but she's also quick to forgive and move on.  The only thing she doesn't like is macho men and being called a tomboy.   She doesn't - ironically - mind being asked to wear very feminine clothes at time.

History:  Kikuchi Makoto spent most of her life considered to be a "tomboy", not surprising due to being raised as boy-like by her father who always wanted a son, but never had one.  So..he made one out of Makoto.  Makoto became such a tomboy that she became very popular with her fellow students at the all-girls school she attended, being good at sports and proving the imposed stereotype of her being a tomboy. This just excelled the girl fans of her, who saw Makoto as the Prince of their dreams, able to be the man of their lives without having the risks of a man.

Needless to say, she never had problems...well...getting lucky...including with her own teachers.  However, Makoto wanted to do more than just be a sports girl and a romancer, she wanted to see the stars.  So she studed hard to be an engineer and operator....and managed to graduate from the technical college with top grades, and shortly there after got her position aboard the ship.

She remains a lesbian, but she dreams of finding a girl who wants to stay with Makoto for more than just a one night stand.

Appearance:

================================
Back after a long absence. I'm so sorry.  However I hope to make things right now and have some lovely romance rps. 

Are you interested in lesbian rps based on anime or historical periods? Please contact me.

My Wants and Don't Wants           Cute Lady Looking for Other Cute Ladies Thread