News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Zenescope's Grimm Fairy Tales Presents... Comics

Started by Moraline, June 06, 2015, 08:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moraline

I've been setting up group games set in the comic book universe of "Grimm Fairy Tales Presents" by the publisher Zenescope. No one seems to know who they are though? Does anyone here know them? What's your favorite series?

I actually stumbled on them because I had read the Gen 13 comic book series and fell in love with the art style of J Scott Campbell. He's done a lot of work for them over the years and his covers are all over the different series. Most of the artists that work for Zenescope have similar art styling as well. Campbell's go to colorist - Nei Ruffino does a lot of the work too.

The art in the comic books is over the top, totally sexist, and just about everything that every white knight'r complains about but I love it. Plus there are no weak women in the series found in the Grimm'verse. The stories are action packed, they are edgy and sometimes dark. Every series they publish is lead by female stars and none of them are children's comic series. I have pretty much stopped reading my DC and Marvel series in favor of these.

Kuje

Raises hand! I do, I do! I've been collecting these as my main source of comic reading for years now. Personally I really love the Alice ones the most but every new series they come up with or continue with have kept my interest.

Moraline

(I have a Wonderland Group game going right now actually.)

It's the story of Calie Liddle, Alice's daughter that I liked reading the most out of the Wonderland series. Seeing Alice as her mother just sitting there petting the White Rabbit in the very first panel was epic. You knew right then that this wasn't going to be some fluffy rabbit and pretty dreamscape comic. Plus (spoiler) Calie doesn't act like some no brained victim throughout it all. Instead she acts like someone faced with madness and fights back.

https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/3/34/GFT-ReturnToWonderland1.jpg

Kuje

Indeed. I think that's one of the reasons why I like the Wonderland series. Callie just keeps getting into more and more messes but she comes through them without being too insane. :) But it's Wonderland, so it's not surprising that she's been through everything that's happened so far.

But I'm a huge sucker for fairy tales so that was what originally caught my interest in those comics. The stories with Sela and how she used to open the comics up as a story within the comic. But all in all I've been collecting Zenoscope's comics ever since first finding the Fairy Tales.

Maybe I'll look into some of the group games you have but it's been awhile since I've gotten involved in anything like those.

Moraline

Have you read the Robyn Hood series? She's a badass.

Kuje

I have. I actually like Marion a lot more in the current series. But Robyn is nice. I want to find out why they have her as
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
evil (if it's ever explained)
in the current war of darkness plot they have going even if there's only a few more comics left in that plot.

Quote from: Moraline on June 06, 2015, 04:12:35 PM
Have you read the Robyn Hood series? She's a badass.

Moraline

Shhh!!! Put that in spoiler tag!  ;D 

And I'm with  you, I totally want to know what the hell is happening in the War of Darkness.. and how does Sela defeat them and get everything back to normal!?!!  <-- ((Not a spoiler they have comics set in the future after the events of the War of Darkness.))

Also, Marion is awesome! I think it's great that she's openly a lesbian and dating someone in the comics. Marion and Robyn make a great duo with Robyn's quips and Marion's take on the world around her.

Kuje

Eeep. Fixed with the spoiler. :)

Yea, that 12 long series really has me interested and I can't wait to see how it ends.

Oh yea. Having one of the characters have a relationship like that is cool. Comics always tended to have issues with that in the past, so seeing that in Zenoscope's stuff is refreshing. The gore and the like is just nice as well. Laughs. That sounds a little twisted. HAHA. But I dunno. I just don't like Robyn's personality and how it got darker the more her series continued on. I know. She got her butt kicked when she was beat up in the first comic of her series and everything but she just has issues. :)

Quote from: Moraline on June 06, 2015, 06:23:46 PM
Shhh!!! Put that in spoiler tag!  ;D 

And I'm with  you, I totally want to know what the hell is happening in the War of Darkness.. and how does Sela defeat them and get everything back to normal!?!!  <-- ((Not a spoiler they have comics set in the future after the events of the War of Darkness.))

Also, Marion is awesome! I think it's great that she's openly a lesbian and dating someone in the comics. Marion and Robyn make a great duo with Robyn's quips and Marion's take on the world around her.

Moraline

Have you ever seen this? hehe.. I thought it was funny. It doesn't do the comics justice but with Lena Hedley voicing Sela I so much want to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjpxeOfuKWU

Kuje

I haven't seen that before but it's pretty funny. :) Thanks for posting it.

CuriousEyes

It sounds like a similar premise to a series called Fables by Bill Willingham - have you read that and have any thoughts on how they compare?

Either way, I might have to see if I can check it out easily.

Moraline

I've never read "Fables" by Bill Willingham series. I do like fairy tale conversions though, especially if they have more of an adult edge to them. Though if it's purely a horror twist it does get dull. 

When Zenescope first came out with Grimm Fairy Tales that's how their series was (horror oriented) but as it grew it took on a Super Hero spin and of course all the rest of the relationship things happened as well. They have a lot of series out there and they all tie into the same Grimm'verse. It's now sort of like a Marvel Universe but with Fairy Tale realms/characters.

Plus I can't rave about the art enough. It's just a comic book style that I really like.