The Lady and the Lantern { Interest and recruitment thread }{ D&D 4e }

Started by Ershin, February 26, 2012, 02:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ershin

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 04, 2012, 10:11:36 AM
Ok, so no dmg type changes. Also +2 arcana is from background bonus and not theme or any other bonus. What is theme actually?

Themes were first introduced in the Dark Sun setting, but have been published in near enough every book since, along with Dragon Magazine. It's almost like multiclassing or gestalt in 3.5, except the Theme adds abilities at level 1, level 5 and level 10 on top of your normal class abilities, and gives you the option of choosing the Theme's utility powers instead of your class's.
I originally thought you'd chosen the Scholar theme since it gives out an extra langauge and additional encounter power at level 1, an extra language and +2 to one of a list of skills at level 5, then just flat out lets you know all languages at level 10.

I think there were in and around 50 - 60 themes available the last time I checked, which was before Heroes of the Elemental Chaos was released. That's quite a lot of stuff to go through, so if you don't want to use themes that's perfectly fine.

Zaer Darkwail

So the themes provided encounter power replaces one learned from class? Can you simply ignore the add and just keep selecting the class provided encounter powers? Anyways I think scholar theme would suit well, it would save a feat from me (Linguist).

Ershin

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 04, 2012, 12:25:22 PM
So the themes provided encounter power replaces one learned from class? Can you simply ignore the add and just keep selecting the class provided encounter powers? Anyways I think scholar theme would suit well, it would save a feat from me (Linguist).
Nope, themes give an extra encounter power at level 1, then give the option of swapping your utility powers for one of the theme's as you level.

Do you have access to the builder to look up Themes? There's a few I can see working with your character, such as the Fey Beast Tamer that gives you a pet that can give one of four advantages to your party when they're adjacent to it (teleport to a square adjacent to it as a move action, +2 to damage rolls against monsters next to it, don't grant combat advantage or +1 to all defences), while causing any enemy they're next to to grant combat advantage at level 5. It would basically be a second Spirit Companion, except you don't get damaged if it's dropped to 0hp and it's sort of always there.

You can, if you wish, still take both the Scholar theme and the Linguist feat, then retrain Linguist into something else at level 10 when the theme gives you access to all languages.

Zaer Darkwail

I do not have access for the builder but I take your recommendations :). Themse sounds fun and add flavor it seems. Fey beast tamer would be handy as I would then rule that I got two black cobras as my 'companions'.

Revelation

Feeling tons better. Got the history done, but Mass effect 3 house cleaning has kept me from making a sheet. Once I have it done, i'll be posting the full thing here.

I am going with a shielding swordmage, so we have a defender.

Muse

Glad your'e feeling better. 

Can someone tell me the effects of Orb Expertise and whether or not it would stack with Orb Focus? 

Also, do we get bonus languages equal to our intelligence modifier? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Revelation

Orb expertise: Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls that you make with an orb. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
    You also gain a +1 feat bonus to the number of squares you pull, push, or slide targets of attacks that you make with an orb.

As for languages, you get common and one other language depending on your race. Since you are a dark elf, you get Elven. You do not get bonus languages from int mod.

Revelation

(No image yet)
Welkin Field
23 / Human/ Swordmage (Defender)

Welkin is not the tallest of men, a few inches below six feet. With a lean and athletic frame, he is decently handsome with messy brown hair, sharp looking hazel eyes, and fair skin. He tends to wear loose but not baggy clothing, and light leather armor that seems a bit worn but still well crafted. His weapon is a hand and a half sword of good quality, that almost seems to hum in his grip. While normally a calm and considerate man, in combat he takes on a different personality. His movements become flowing and graceful, with the lightly armored man weaving and bending in between blows, combining magic and swordplay to shield himself and his allies, as well as swiftly strike his enemies down or harass them, forcing them to focus on him.

When he speaks, it is calmly and friendly, almost soft in a sense. He is quite capable of anger and raising his voice, though he normally attempts to not do such if possibly, preferring to keep an amiable appearance.

"Background"
Welkin was born in Lyonese, to a minor noble family who was known for dabbling in the arcane. Distrusted by many, they worried not on the fears of the peasants or simple minded, instead ushering Welkin to become a powerful and strong mage. The young man was indeed interested by the arcane arts and their practices... but rather than focus on wizardry and lofty towers, Welkin sought to pursue the arcane arts in a more... physical manner. He was a hardy young man, and while not strong, he was adept at fencing, fighting with smarts rather than strength alone. It was no surprise that when he was of age at 16 years old scouts from the Lyonese Rose Queen Academy heard of Welkin and sought to get him into their academy, and spefically into the Janissary courses. While his parents were unhappy with such a predicament, Alex was quite happy to study on becoming a Rose Vanguard, one of the 'elite' arcane warriors and bodyguards.

His training at the academy was long, full of trials and tribulations. He focused not just on arcane attunement, but also the magical arts and studies. While not arcanically gifted enough to cast spells, he was able to use his weapon as a focus point for his powers, and could easily strike down his opponents or use shielding enchantments to protect himself, and others. Over the course of seven years, his body and mind were hardened and honed to work together. Completing his training finally, it was again not long until a freelance vanguard caught the eye of someone in need of such skill...

"Four Aspects"
  • I am Welkin, Rose Vanguard of Lyonese. With my sword and mind, I aim to wreck havoc on my opponents, shielding my allies from punishment.

• I seek to hone my skills and become a legendary Vanguard. Of course I seek fame, wealth, and the love of women - But knowing my allies trust in me is also reward enough.

• My biggest triumph so far is placing second in the Rose Queen Academy combat trials - Being bested by a superior is a humbling experience, and while I learn the limits of my strength, I know that there are challenges I must still face, and to exult in coming victories.

• I shall not shed the blood of innocents, no matter how fruitful it may be. I respect superiors who earn it, though I am not afraid to dissent and rebel if necessary. I will be humble in my skills, as action shall speak louder than they can. Knowledge must also be cherished, and to be protected from those who would use it for evil.

"Rose Queen Academy"
While not a home, the Rose Queen Academy is a small but prestigious academy for the Arcane arts. It is very selective of students it allows in, and only maybe two or three dozen are picked annually. Those who are lucky enough are enrolled into an exhaustive, yet focused and specialized school of arcane arts. From summoning magic, to artifice, and even the Rosen Vanguards, many varying paths can be found at the academy. It is in the capital of Lyonese, a series of buildings overgrown with creeping moss and ivy vines. The building itself has all manner of arcane wards placed upon it, and some of the empires most skilled mages can be found there often, usually guiding the teachers or extremely promising students.

The Rose Vanguards are a magical order of warriors trained to serve in the Lyonese empires military. These students focus on channeling magic through the blade, being lightly armored but capable of powerful magical attacks and defenses. They are often the forefront of small group operations or defending key people, given their unique skill sets. They often focus on wading through battle with teleportation or quick movement, bypassing defenses to strike at vulnerable targets, while placing arcane wards on key enemies, which reduce the efficiency of attacks or magic. The orders history is over two centuries old, and extremely skilled and experienced often serve as the emperors bodyguard, should there be an emperor of course. The Rose Queen Academy has never divulged the history of its name either, other than the courtyards always being filled with roses, and not just red ones.

I hope this is a suitable submission? My defenses are messed up on the sheet, they should be AC22/F17/R17/W16.

PhantomPistoleer

So what roles has everyone applied for?  I'm interested in the Leader position.

Ninja edit:  I suppose I must apply for the striker position. :o
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ershin

Changingsaint: Suitable? Yes, nicely done.

Phantom Pistoleer: We've had four applicants, (though I've not heard from Idej again in some time) but I think the above said 4-5. If you want to create a Leader, then create a Leader, it just means the group had double the healing potential and I can throw more horrible things at you.

PhantomPistoleer

The Count of Mudbury, Hale Tufto

25 / Human / Ranger (Striker)

It has often been remarked that our hopeless military Adonis would be a suitable match for a woman of good breeding if and only if he had not been born to a country squire.  His love for hunting, gambling, drinking and warring has made him a compatriot to all bachelors, and the enemy of all fathers who have daughters in season.  Our Lordship, landless as he presently is, is still very comely, with a cheerful face, an aquiline nose, a chiseled cheek and a wise brow (though some critics say that it is a mischivious brow).  He is affable, sensible, brave and of good spirit, but he is weak-willed against the arts of beautiful women

"Background"
To be carried out in due time

"Four Aspects"
The following are a few notes found here and there, public or otherwise, about our estimable personage, the Count:

1.  From the Heraldry Almanac of the Year --th:  "Hale Tufto, first and only son of the Count of Mudbury, of Mudbury Down, Knight of the First Order, was set to inherit a fortune of 80,000 sovereigns at an interest of 2,000 sovereigns per year, until the Count of Mudbury encumbered his estate in debt.  Upon his father's deathbed, Hale Tufto joined the landless aristocracy in these hard times, with a sum of 200 sovereigns to his name.  This was sufficient to purchase a commission of captaincy in the --th scout regiment, where his abilities and bravery, manifested after so many years hunting in the countryside throughout his youth, earned him a commission of Colonel."

2.  From a Letter Written to Lady Alice Crawley, from Count Mudbury:  "It is my hope, alas, to entwine within my grasp sufficient funds to once again grace the halls of Mudburry Down with aristocratic opulence.  Perhaps you will entertain the thought of my proposal then.  But until then, be free.  Do not bind your heart to mine."  (It must be noted that Lady Crawley married and has several lovers now).

3.  From the Crowned Solicitor:  "It is the distinct honor of our humble publication to conduct the publick discourse towards the noble accolades of a twenty-manned league headed by the Count of Mudbury.  On the --th of the winter solstice, the Count and his score of men found themselves away from the battlefiend and in convalescence within the walled redoubt of --burg.  When the line broke and the enemy approached, these brave men donned their armor and harried to cut off the unequal force to allow the civilians within the redoubt more precious moments to flee.  In anticipation of confrontation, our worthy man said, 'the guard may die, but it shall never surrender.  Come lads-- to glory!'  The forces met, and Count Mudburry's men were terribly routed after an afternoon's battle.  But it was enough for the citizens of --burg to flee the barbarity of the enemy.  For his bravery, the Count suffered numerous life-threatening injuries, and spent two years thence in shackles."

4.  The Four Tenets of Military Conduct:  "1.  I must despise the enemy.  2.  I must follow orders.  3.  I must be ready to forfeit my life for my regiment.  4.  I must conduct myself as a gentleman, even when it would be easier to be a savage."

"Home"
To be satisfied promptly.

Edit:  I am not as familiar with 4e, but am making good work on his character sheet.  I want to think about his background a bit before I submit anything.  As for Mudbury Down, his home, I'm a bit miffed of how to handle it.  But I will come up with something.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ershin

Okay, so far we've got;
Zaer Darkwail applying with Vhe'stha, a human shaman from Hy-Brasil
Muse applying with Zaima Ayame, a Drow / Dark Eladrin wizard from Lower Faran
Changingsaint applying with Welkin Field, a human swordmage from Lyonesse
PhantomPistoleer applying with Hale Tufto, a human ranger
Idej applying with a currently nameless half-elf (assuming half-drow until corrected) Hexblade.

I haven't heard from Idej in a while though, so can I confirm that everyone is still interested? If it suits, we can close this thread on Friday, and I'll make final preparations to open the IC and OOC threads on Sunday or Monday, should everyone have their sheets and backgrounds done.

I would also like to state again that if anyone's having trouble with the mechanics of building a character and/or if you're unfamiliar with 4e, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Revelation

I am confirming interest and will be using Welkin.

I will also say that like Ershin, I am very happy to help people make characters and can be contacted via PM and I can give IM information if someone would like.

Ershin

Just in case the DM's offer to help is just a veiled attempt to sabotage their character?   ;)

Revelation

No. :p Just a different perspective and I may be on at times you are not ;). If you'd prefer I rescind the offer, that is fine. :)

Ershin

Oh no, offer away. Just a little friendly... is teasing the right word? Joke maybe?

Revelation

Ah, I know :p Still, lets see if anyone needs any help or if we get any last minute interest!

Ershin

Okay then, in about 24 hours from this post, we'll be at three weeks from the time this thread was opened. So far I've seen completed sheets by Idej (who doesn't seem to want to post here and hasn't really done anything with a background), Zaer (who has yet to choose his theme but that's forgivable) and Changingsaint. While Muse has posted a sheet it still requires the changes I asked for, the Expertise feat, the Dragonmark and the Theme. PhantomPistoleer is currently missing a sheet.

So what do people think? Should the thread stay open a little longer to let Idej, Muse and Pistoleer finish or what? With this existing for three weeks, anyone interested will already have seen it and been scared off by the WALL OF TEXT at the start, so I doubt there's be much more new interest.

Revelation

Iunno, It seems we are at a bit of an impasse. I am still very interested though I forgot to use a theme - Will need to find one. I imagine this may be the most we'll get, unless we are lucky.

Muse

Is this satisfactory, and could you fix the formating for me? 

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=10286=? ]Zaima Ayame[/url]
19 / Dark Elan / Wizard (Controler)

A description of your character will go here.

"Background"
   House Aya is a rich and powerful line of merchant mages in Lower Faran.  They have three families of servants and countless slaves.  The Ayame are one of the three, most known for their work in the stables.  However Azaran Ayame was noted for  his musical gifts early in life and studied to inherit the role of house organist. 
After wedding Natasha Verana, Azaran arranged musical apprenticeships for his sons while his daughters studied dance. 
His youngest daughter Zaima is particularly fond of dancing, but discovered after an encounter with a woman baring a lantern that she was capable of much more.  A mark appeared on her shoulder blade, and she develop a remarkable memory for languages and magical texts. 
She was offered a chance to study arcane sciences at the university, paying her way by serving Tremal Aya as courtesan and maid during his time there.  She advanced in the arcane sciences quickly.  Now a match for some of the Aya’s younger magi, Zaima is no longer satisfied with the life of a servant.  Receiving Lady    ‘s letter she jumped at the appointment. 

"Four Aspects"
  • ASPECT1
: Dancing girl magician. 

• ASPECT2
:  I seek to enjoy life while furthering my arte. 

• ASPECT3
:  My greatest victory so far has been to graduate the university with honors while working as courtesan to the one paying for my education. 

• ASPECT3
:  I have few convictions, but a sense of compassion has rarely steered me wrong.  [/list]

"Home"
Information on your home
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, fixed it for you Muse.

Zaima Ayame
19 / Dark Elan / Wizard (Controler)
A description of your character will go here.

"Background"
   House Aya is a rich and powerful line of merchant mages in Lower Faran.  They have three families of servants and countless slaves.  The Ayame are one of the three, most known for their work in the stables.  However Azaran Ayame was noted for  his musical gifts early in life and studied to inherit the role of house organist. 
After wedding Natasha Verana, Azaran arranged musical apprenticeships for his sons while his daughters studied dance. 
His youngest daughter Zaima is particularly fond of dancing, but discovered after an encounter with a woman baring a lantern that she was capable of much more.  A mark appeared on her shoulder blade, and she develop a remarkable memory for languages and magical texts. 
She was offered a chance to study arcane sciences at the university, paying her way by serving Tremal Aya as courtesan and maid during his time there.  She advanced in the arcane sciences quickly.  Now a match for some of the Aya’s younger magi, Zaima is no longer satisfied with the life of a servant.  Receiving Lady    ‘s letter she jumped at the appointment. 

"Four Aspects"
  • ASPECT1
: Dancing girl magician. 

• ASPECT2
:  I seek to enjoy life while furthering my arte. 

• ASPECT3
:  My greatest victory so far has been to graduate the university with honors while working as courtesan to the one paying for my education. 

• ASPECT3
:  I have few convictions, but a sense of compassion has rarely steered me wrong. [/list]

"Home"
Information on your home

Muse

Cythieus

I've never actually played 4E properly but I would like to try it out if I could. I have a character concept in mind from what I've read already if there's room.