Fortunately Unfortunate

Started by Sinna Mystika, January 07, 2010, 11:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArlenIronison

((Sure, you first? I forgot where to find it >.<))

Sinna Mystika

((It's alright. I've posted in the other one. The one in the request board. I hope you can find it.))

ArlenIronison

Arlen awoke in the middle of the night with a slight yawn to see that Kodi had shifted and was now facing him, curled against him and almost clinging to his chest. He couldn't help but smile at her, she looked so beautiful that way. He very carefully detached from her to take a candle that had burnt out on its own into the kitchen. Glad for the cold, his food wouldn't go bad. He walked into the garrage, ignoring the cold tearing at him, he walked to the power box and flipped the switches.

Nothing happened.

Frustrated, he tried each one in a different manner, with similar results. He walked back inside carrying a small generator, and place it in the kitchen. He'd turn it on in the morning to make them something to eat. At that, he returned to the living room, slipping back down to the floor with Kodi, enjoying the warmth of the blanket. He set the candle aside out of reach before settling completely, wrapping an arm around her once again, just watching her sleep for a moment. So beautiful...

Sinna Mystika

Kodi awoke slowly as the sun rose, finding that she had rolled over in the night to curl against Arlen's chest. She lay there for a moment, enjoying the warmth of his body wrapped around hers. When she felt him stirring, she looked up into his eyes and blinked.

"Well, good morning," she said. She was a morning person. She had annoyed her mother as a child, bouncing around her room at six in the morning, then tearing around the house with her sister as soon as she woke up. Kodi continued looking up at Arlen with a dazzling smile as she leaned back so she could see him better.

ArlenIronison

Arlen had woken up just moments before Kodi had, and was looking down at her. Seeing her stirring caused him to stir as well, trying to hide that he had been watching her sleep peacefully... beautifully. He smiled back to her, finding one of his hands intertwining with hers.

"Good morning, Kodi." For a moment, he'd forgotten he was going to offer breakfast. He simple couldn't help but enjoy the warmth of being close to someone for once in a long time, gazing down into her soft eyes. "How did you sleep?"

Sinna Mystika

Kodi looked at their intertwined hands and blushed, but gripped his hand tighter. "I slept well, better than I have in a very long time." She gave a beatific smile and then pulled her hand from his reluctantly. She sat up, stretching and yawning, then turned to Arlen and giggled. "We should do this more often," she quipped.

Kodi sat there for a moment, and studied his face. As handsome as he was by firelight, he looked even better by daylight, having just woken up. He was watching her with a grin on his face, and she suddenly felt self-conscious. She blushed and was about to speak when her belly rumbled, making her turn a deeper shade of red and murmer something about "embarrassing" and "food."

ArlenIronison

Arlen couldn't help but grin at her as she spoke, a friendly smile. She pulled away to stretch, and hearing her belly, he nodded a bit. "Go on upstairs and in the bathroom, take a shower. I managed to keep the pipes from freezing and I got a generator up last night. The water will be nice. I'll get some breakfast ready for you."

He got up and stretched, himself, before heading into the kitchen to start cooking.

Sinna Mystika

Kodi thanked him, grabbed her bag, and went upstairs. She had found the bathroom the day before as she explored. As she undressed, it occurred to her that she had brought only one change of clothes. She kept several outfits at Amanda's, and hadn't needed to bring extras. She folded her sweater and jeans neatly and sat them on the counter of the sink before running water and climbing into the shower. He used a very masculine smelling shampoo, but she didn't care. She was just glad to have hot water. As she rinsed the soap from her hair, she wondered how she would ever repay him. Stepping out of the shower, she dried herself off and got dressed. She towel-dried her hair and tossed the towel over the rack before going back downstairs to the kitchen. The smells of a hot breakfast were heavenly and she sighed in pleasure as she sat in a chair to watch him cook.

ArlenIronison

Arlen, it seemed, turned out to be an excellent chef. He had made a stack of pancakes, a plate of sausage and bacon strips, some syrup set off to the side with butter on a dish. He was still cooking, however, leaving whatever he was working on to fix Kodi a plate of food, guessing by her height and how light she felt against him how much she would eat, not to mention she may have not eaten any dinner. Two medium-sized pancakes, four strips of bacon, and three pieces of sausage. Everything else he left in the center of the table with a smile and a wink before he went back to cooking. "Enjoy, the rest is almost done."

With that said, the smell of french toast soon filled the air, not to mention blueberry muffins. The oven beeped and he pulled out the muffins, setting one on Kodi's plate as well as two pieces of french toast. Sitting down, he made himself a slightly larger plate, pouring them both a cup of orange juice and water for later. Smiling still, he began eating shortly after she had.

Sinna Mystika

Kodi looked at the mountain of food and realized just how hungry she was. She had planned on eating once she got to Amanda's, so she hadn't had any lunch or dinner. After eating one of the pancakes and a few strips of bacon, she looked up at Arlen.

"Thank you. This is definitely better than a bagel and a cup of cocoa," she said with a grin. "I don't really bother with breakfast. I was supposed to have lunch at my sister Amanda's yesterday, so I hadn't eaten yet. This is really good.

ArlenIronison

"Oh you know, I try." He smiled lightly, taking a bite of and chewing some pancake, swallowing before speaking again. "Enjoy your shower, I hope?" He eyed her lightly, just briefly so not to come off the wrong way; just a nice approving look and a light nod.

Sinna Mystika

Kodi blushed and nodded. "The hot water was just what I needed. The water in my apartment is lukewarm at best. It's been a while since I had a hot shower." She smiled shyly and continued to eat.

ArlenIronison

"That's good, that you enjoyed it I mean. Is your water heater broken or something? Or is it just too small to give you the kind of temperature you need? I can help with fixing it easily, but, building a larger one..." He shrugged, taking time to eat some more food, waiting until wiping his lips and swallowing to continue. "...building one takes time. I built my own from scratch, that's why it lasts so long. But it took... Hmm... About a month." He smiles a bit, eating some more, eventually finishing off the rest of the food on his plate. He eyes Kodi's plate a moment. "Still hungry?"

Sinna Mystika

Kodi leaned back, her stomach full. "No, I couldn't eat another bite, thank you. As for the water," she shrugged. "It's an apartment complex. It's cheap, and it's shelter. I'm never home anyway. I work all day at a daycare center, and then I'm a volunteer teacher at the Adult Education Center in the evenings." She stood up to put her plate in the sink and turned back to him. "What do you do??"

ArlenIronison

Arlen smiled. "I do a lot of things. Engineer, Auto Mechanic, Carpenter, Architect. I dabble here and there, managed to get 7 degrees out of College. Took me 5 years." He shrugs, walking over to wrap the rest of the leftover food, rinse off the dishes and put them into a custom dishwasher; no doubt one of his makings. "You in College, or did you go?"

Sinna Mystika

Kodi nodded. "I got a teaching degree and took a child development course. I've thought about opening my own center, but I can't do that on my salary." She smiled. "Start low, think big!! I'll save money for a few more years and buy a house. I almost have enough for a good-size downpayment. Then I can start a small preschool and daycare. What about you?? Do you run your own business??" Kodi blushed. "Sorry, I'm nosy."

ArlenIronison

"Well, it's online, but yea." He shrugs. "I know it doesn't really look like I do, living where I do in a house this size. I have money, but it doesn't mean I have to use it. I have all the space I need." He smiles, patting her hand before walking back into the living room and sitting on his couch. "I hope you slept alright, I know I don't have the most comfortable floor."

Sinna Mystika

"Actually I slept great," she said, sitting next to him. "I haven't slept on the floor since my sleepovers when I was a kid. I used to have these pajamas that looked like a tabby cat. I even had the paw-shaped slippers and the headband with the little ears." Kodi giggled. "Oh!! I just remembered!! Do you mind if I wash my clothes??" She suddenly looked embarrassed. "I usually only keep one exta set with me. I only take them in case I break down, but I guess they came in handy this time. I have a drawer at Amanda's, since we wear the same size."

ArlenIronison

Arlen nodded, smiling still. "Of course, have at it. I don't mind one bit, it's not like I'd make you walk around in dirty clothes for a few days, or however long it takes until your car is fixed and the weather permits." He got up. "Actually, I'll get started on your car." He started for the garrage.

Sinna Mystika

Kodi grabbed her clothes and put them in the washer. She readjusted the settings and pushed the start button, then grabbed her coat. She walked out to the garage to see the extent of the damage on her car. How could he possibly fix it?? Had it not gone through the radiator like she thought?? It would be a relief. A new radiator would mean taking money out of her house fund. Kodi walked up to Arlen.

"Is there any way I can help?? I don't know much about fixing cars, but I could hand you the tools you need or something. I just hate to sit around and do nothing, and I feel like I should do something to repay your kindness. I can't thank you enough."

ArlenIronison

Arlen had a cart of tools nearby, picking one up and forcing the hood of the car open. The extent of the damage was worse than Kodi had thought, but Arlen didn't seem that worried by it. "Well, radiator's trashed, you need a new belt, I think a piston might need to be replaced, and..." He ducked his head under, pulling loose two parts that were shattered. "..two spark caps. Altogether, it'll cost a lot. You're lucky you crashed into my mailbox; it's free now." He smiles, moving around to remove the hood of the car altogether and get a lift to pull the engine free so it'd be easier to work on.

Sinna Mystika

"F-f-free??" Kodi squeaked. "I can't let you do that!! That's way too much money spent on me. You don't even know me!!" Kodi fought back tears as she stood there. Why was he being so nice to her?? She barely knew him and here he was fixing her car. "I.... umm...." Kodi hung her head, trying not to cry. "I can't possibly thank you enough for this. You don't have to, really. At least let me pay you back for the parts, please!!"

ArlenIronison

Arlen shook his head, carefully taking apart the engine to get to the shattered piston and remove it with a surmountable amount of effort. "Nope, no need to pay me." He grunts as he pulls the part free, putting it aside as he walks over to a cabinet to pull out a new one. "I don't mind helping at all."

Sinna Mystika

Kodi sat and watched Arlen as he worked, asking a question here and there, until she got cold. She went inside and pulled out one of her coloring books, the one with teddy bears, and her crayons. She flipped through the book until she found a picture she liked, then started coloring. She got up to get a glass of water after a little while, then returned to her picture.

ArlenIronison

It took Arlen several hours to finish fixing the car, but the one thing that was the hardest was the radiator. The one he had wasn't the right size and he had to pull out several tools to adjust it to get it to fit and work properly. After he'd finished, it was at least 6 in the afternoon. He walked back inside while rubbing the grease and oil from his hands. Walking into the living room he smiled. "You gonna be alright? I need a shower, just don't want you to feel too alone." He started for the stairs, leaning on the railing and waiting for her response.