Girl with cancer wants to see movie 'Up'

Started by Jag, June 20, 2009, 02:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,527464,00.html

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. —  Colby Curtin got her final wish.

The 10-year-old cancer patient was too sick to go to the theater to see the Disney-Pixar movie "Up," so an employee of the studio flew to her house with a DVD copy — which she watched just seven hours before she died, her mother said.

While waiting for the movie to arrive on June 10, Colby's mother, Lisa, said she asked her daughter: "Do you think you can hang on?"

"I'm ready (to die), but I'm going to wait for the movie," she told The Orange County Register her daughter replied.

"Up" is the animated tale of a grumpy old man who, after his wife's death, tries to fulfill their joint dream of visiting South America by tying thousands of balloons to his house and floating away.

"When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie," Colby's mother told the newspaper. "I just know that word 'Up' and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven."

Colby, who was diagnosed with vascular cancer in 2005, saw previews for the film in April and eagerly awaited the movie. A family friend called both Pixar and Disney, which owns the animation studio, and the studio agreed to send someone to Colby's house in Huntington Beach, California, the next day with a copy for a private screening.

Colby was unable to open her eyes to see the movie so her mother described the scenes. After the movie ended, her mother asked if Colby enjoyed it. Her daughter nodded, Curtin said.

She died later that evening.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Pumpkin Seeds

That is why I will never work pediatrics.  I'm crying already.

Andy

Quote from: Askie on June 20, 2009, 03:33:11 PM
That is why I will never work pediatrics.  I'm crying already.

-Hugs and comforts-
Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Sabby

...that is so beautiful... and somewhere in Pixar, someone is overjoyed at the unintentional marketing of the situation.

Sho

That's really very sweet of Pixar. It's nice to see big companies reaching out and making someone's life just that much easier/better.

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Sabby on June 20, 2009, 11:46:51 PM
...that is so beautiful... and somewhere in Pixar, someone is overjoyed at the unintentional marketing of the situation.

Perhaps....but I have a higher opinion of Pixar since they told [the New and Unimproved] Disney, "No. Shove it."

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Doomsday

Disappointing that he didn't get to actually 'see' it but *shrug*

Kurzyk

That's very touching and wonderful of that employee to do that.

consortium11

Read the story on another board... pretty damn touching...

And someone had the audacity to criticise Pixar for taking the DVD with him...

Pumpkin Seeds

Give people an inch and someone wants the whole foot.

Gunslinger