News:

Main Menu

Betta Fish pet?

Started by Anteros Vox, January 14, 2013, 07:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anteros Vox

<.<

I bought a small fish tank today, and two Betta fish after reading up on them I realize that alot of people say do not mix the two together in the same tank. Well I have them already together is Is likely they will kill each other? They seem pretty good so far ... Sid is smitten with Nancy. Anyway advice is helpful criticism isn't.

Raz

Quote from: xghostx on January 14, 2013, 07:48:27 PM
<.<

I bought a small fish tank today, and two Betta fish after reading up on them I realize that alot of people say do not mix the two together in the same tank. Well I have them already together is Is likely they will kill each other? They seem pretty good so far ... Sid is smitten with Nancy. Anyway advice is helpful criticism isn't.
Depends. Are they both males? Both females? Or Male and Female?

Anteros Vox

Male . Female.  Its just the two my tank is only 5.5 gallon one.

Raz

Well, most people say that putting a female and male together is a bad idea and that it is usually only good to put them together for breeding. However, some say that their fish are fine after being put together(male+female). I guess it would depend on wether or not they are docile, the size of their territory(the bowl) and other such factors.

Though, one thing is for sure, Beta's are solitary fish. So, if you are afraid they will fight, it would be best to seperate them.

Oniya

Two males would be a definite fighting situation.  Male and female is a lot less likely.  If they seem content, you probably don't need to rush out and get a second tank.  It might be good to get a barrier to have on hand to separate them if they do get testy.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

A barrier to divide the bowl would be good, just in case...like, a Cut Plastic sheet or something that you can just push down between the two halves. ;3

Anteros Vox

Good idea. Thanks for that.

Serephino

Everything I've heard about those fish is that it's a bad idea to have two in the same tank.  I've even been told they can't be around other fish.

Anteros Vox

Same here I don't know why I bought them lol. I think though it was the fact that I saw like 3 dead betta's in their little cups. I feel bad for those little guys but yeah i am going to be dividing my tank into two sections I though I can find a plastic to do it I was thinking at Lowes or something since they can cut the pieces for me.

Oniya

You can often find them pre-sized at fish stores.  They might be listed as something to keep baby fish away from adults, or to keep a breeding pair/female isolated.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chris Brady

Midnight Diamond on this site has several Beta Fish, you might want to ask her as well.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Elina

I'm a fish hobbyist.  Even bettas do best in a filtered tank with some space.  They are best alone, especially the males.  A male and a female can be kept together, but it's not a good idea.  They may not start out violent, but it is likely to end that way, especially if they're breeding.  Males have been known to get rowdy enough to kill females.

If you'd like a fishkeeping forum site to visit to learn more, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the link.

Safire

If you plan on breeding them, you probably want to get a second tank. The adults will eat the eggs and the babies.
If I seem a bit slow on posting, it's because things are piling up in real life.