What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Missy on September 04, 2016, 10:49:21 AM
So whenabouts does congress decide to subsidize electric motor vehicles the way they subsidize cell phones so we  can reduce our dependence on oil?

Or maybe start constructing localized solar power infrastructure to offset our dependence on other forms of energy (also insert other forms of energy producers such as localized heat and kinetic conversion methods)? I mean theres a building in my town with solar panels on the roof and it may not do everything, but honestly is it really a bad idea?

Oh wait, sorry I forgot, as soon as the people who own the lobbyists decide they've made their money's worth from the status quo.

Don't mind me I'm just being a stupid person without personal investment in the status quo over here.
Their heads are in inconvenient locations that do no allow sight and sound to penetrate and block off all logic and common sense.

In other words, when they get their heads out of their butts.

Anteros

Quote from: Missy on September 04, 2016, 10:04:02 PM
I hope they win, it's about time, they deserve it by now.

They need more people to diffuse the information and lend some help if they can. Invisibility is making it to easy for them to be abused.
You can sign this petition if you want to show support: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA
ONS & OFFS: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14923.0

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

gaggedLouise

The new president of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, continues in his chutzpah style by calling Obama a "son of a whore/bitch" at the G20 world economic meeting in China. Not the most tactically wise thing to say, especially since the Philippines are quite dependent on the US for trade and military support (against China).  ^_ ^

A few months back, Duterte, a former police chief, called Pope Francis the same thing (search for "Pope, you're a son of a..." on Youtube).  :P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Missy

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 06, 2016, 03:13:44 AM
The new president of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, continues in his chutzpah style by calling Obama a "son of a whore/bitch" at the G20 world economic meeting in China. Not the most tactically wise thing to say, especially since the Philippines are quite dependent on the US for trade and military support (against China).  ^_ ^

A few months back, Duterte, a former police chief, called Pope Francis the same thing (search for "Pope, you're a son of a..." on Youtube).  :P

I would like to take this moment to remind people not to vote for Trump.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 06, 2016, 03:13:44 AM

Shooting oneself in one's own foot springs to mind.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Missy on September 04, 2016, 10:49:21 AM
Don't mind me I'm just being a stupid person without personal investment in the status quo over here.

You should really knock that off. Next thing you'll tell us you're concerned about future generations and their living standards and nonsense like that.

Beorning

Some news from PiS-ruled Poland:

1. On Monday, Smoleńsk - the first movie about the 2010 Presidential plane crash - had its VIP premiere. According to reviews, the movie fully subscribes to the "It was a bomb!" conspiracy theory, even featuring a scene of an explosion destroying the plane.

The movie is officially endorsed by the current President. Which is, IMHO, somewhat akin to Obama (hypothetically) endorsing a movie about Bush being behind 9/11...

The movie hits the cinemas on Friday.

2. A bill that bans Sunday shopping will be debated in the parliament. The draft of the bill was submitted by some of our trade unions, but PiS seems favourable. The bill seems also to be fully supported by the Catholic Church.

Sadly, while the unions are rationalizing the bill as motivated by their care of workers' rights (but, if that's true, why aren't they lobbying for a ban on *working* on Sunday?), the Church's opinion seem to go more along the lines of "People shouldn't shop on Sundays, it's just ungodly! Let's forbid them doing so!"...

According to the bill,  shop owners who make their employees work on Sunday, might even be sentenced for 2 years in prison.

Oniya

Humpback whales have been taken off the endangered species list.

In other news, there was an arrest made in San Francisco after a small Russian man accosted several passers-by asking where to find the 'nuclear wessels.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Beorning on September 07, 2016, 08:24:37 AM
Some news from PiS-ruled Poland:

1. On Monday, Smoleńsk - the first movie about the 2010 Presidential plane crash - had its VIP premiere. According to reviews, the movie fully subscribes to the "It was a bomb!" conspiracy theory, even featuring a scene of an explosion destroying the plane.

The movie is officially endorsed by the current President. Which is, IMHO, somewhat akin to Obama (hypothetically) endorsing a movie about Bush being behind 9/11...

The movie hits the cinemas on Friday.

How many Polish people do you think buy into such a conspiracy theory, do you think?

2. A bill that bans Sunday shopping will be debated in the parliament. The draft of the bill was submitted by some of our trade unions, but PiS seems favourable. The bill seems also to be fully supported by the Catholic Church.

Sadly, while the unions are rationalizing the bill as motivated by their care of workers' rights (but, if that's true, why aren't they lobbying for a ban on *working* on Sunday?), the Church's opinion seem to go more along the lines of "People shouldn't shop on Sundays, it's just ungodly! Let's forbid them doing so!"...

According to the bill,  shop owners who make their employees work on Sunday, might even be sentenced for 2 years in prison.

I certainly hope that bill never comes to pass, what do you think might happen?

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Oniya on September 07, 2016, 08:41:54 AM

In other news, there was an arrest made in San Francisco after a small Russian man accosted several passers-by asking where to find the 'nuclear wessels.'

*snickers*

gaggedLouise

Not the smartest spy in town, if that was it?  ;) Oh and...nuclear weasels?

This side of the pond, an unmanned car with its hazard warning lights blinking was spotted near Notre-Dame in Paris. When the police opened it up, they found six canisters filled with gas plus a seventh empty one (gas in the chemical sense, not liquid petrol). There were no detonating devices; documents written in Srablic were found though. It's an enigma why anyone would have staged something like that, but some police suggested it might be a sign of a "test run" for an attack in central Paris. The owner of the car was already on the terrorism watchlist and he has been arrested.

Lustful Bride

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 07, 2016, 09:23:06 AM
Not the smartest spy in town, if that was it?  ;) Oh and...nuclear weasels?

Google Nuclear Weasel - There's all sorts of fallout and rock band! :-)

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 07, 2016, 09:24:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSJFrhb-HM

Comment from someone who actually lives there on the Youtube clip:

"I LIVE IN ALAMEDA! We have aircraft carriers still here, but the nuclear wessels are in San Diego now."

;D

The plot thickens...

Edit: Oh, and here I was thinking some US aircraft carriers actually had nuclear torpedoes or something like that.

Beorning

Great news! About the whales, that is. As for the "Russian man" - heh, I actually thought for a moment that somebody did try to reenact this for real and got arrested... You never know with pranksters these days!

Quote from: Renegade Vile on September 07, 2016, 08:46:07 AM
How many Polish people do you think buy into such a conspiracy theory, do you think?

There are actually surveys for that. IIRC, the data says about 30% - 40% Poles believe in the conspiracy theory. Which is... heart-breaking.  :-(

I certainly hope that bill never comes to pass, what do you think might happen?

Considering the current political situation? I think that this bill might pass, yes...

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on September 07, 2016, 10:20:57 AM
Great news! About the whales, that is. As for the "Russian man" - heh, I actually thought for a moment that somebody did try to reenact this for real and got arrested... You never know with pranksters these days!

There are actually surveys for that. IIRC, the data says about 30% - 40% Poles believe in the conspiracy theory. Which is... heart-breaking.  :-(

Considering the current political situation? I think that this bill might pass, yes...

Ive seen some polls that say a similar amount of people all over the world believe in Conspiracy theories...the highest amount that the US has some level of involvement in 9/11 @_@

Valerian

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 07, 2016, 10:43:59 AM
Ive seen some polls that say a similar amount of people all over the world believe in Conspiracy theories...the highest amount that the US has some level of involvement in 9/11 @_@
Yeah, you can still hear people screaming about how there was no reason for the towers to collapse completely when it was only the upper floors that were destroyed, for example, so there must have been something else going on.  These people have no concept of engineering.  :P
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Valerian on September 07, 2016, 10:58:19 AM
Yeah, you can still hear people screaming about how there was no reason for the towers to collapse completely when it was only the upper floors that were destroyed, for example, so there must have been something else going on.  These people have no concept of engineering.  :P

Id almost want to listen to the conspiracy people more if they didn't always treat me like an idiot and talk with this high and mighty tone as if they had the entire world figured out. Ugh *shakes head*

Beorning

Quote from: Valerian on September 07, 2016, 10:58:19 AM

It's similar with the 2010 crash back here... with the difference that one of the most vocal proponent of such theories is one of the chief politicians of the ruling party and *the Minister of Defense*...

Lilias

Nothing wrong with shops being closed on Sunday. Just because some people need to work on the day (police, hospital staff, emergency responders) doesn't mean everyone should.

In Greece, this has pretty much always been the case, with the food industry and tourist services during the season being notable exceptions. After nearly a decade in the UK, I still don't take Sunday opening hours for granted. Especially considering that in many small (and not so small) places here, public transport doesn't run on Sundays and holidays.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 07, 2016, 11:01:09 AM
Id almost want to listen to the conspiracy people more if they didn't always treat me like an idiot and talk with this high and mighty tone as if they had the entire world figured out. Ugh *shakes head*

My favourite conspiracy nutter is the guy who wrote a book about the KAL 007 incident (in 1983) when a South Korean airliner was shot down by Soviet border guard aircraft over Sakhalin; he claimed that the plane had not been shot down at all, instead forced down on the ground - he's not the only home theorist thinking that - but...instead there was a massive secret battle between Russian and American planes in the area, with numerous U.S. planes lost and their pilots killed or captured. Basically the biggest open air battle between the Soviets and the US at any time. How did the sudden disappearance of so many airmen and aircraft go unnoticed? You tell me!  :D

Beguile's Mistress

Every once in a while there is a nugget of truth in a conspiracy theory, just not enough for me to take any of them seriously.  There are people who could witness an even first hand, maybe even participate in it, and still form a belief about the circumstances that is so far out there you want to laugh.