Dark Universe - Classic Movie Monsters United! (Now Recruiting)

Started by Mathim, November 13, 2018, 06:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

So I know that Universal's attempt to cash in on the shared universe market fizzled with that lackluster Mummy reboot, but I love the concept behind it and would like to see if we can make the idea work here for a group game.

The premise would be similar to Jekyll's organization in the movie (we can come up with a better name than Prodigium), where those who study and combat threats of that supernatural nature muster their forces and prepare for the attack from at least half the pantheon of monsters who don't have humanity's best interests at heart.

This would be a bit of a twist on that, in that the descendants of the monsters' enemies/creators/associates will be the founders and operators within the organization, such as the descendants of Van Helsing, Frankenstein, etc.

Ideally Dracula will be the archvillain of the monster pantheon and be recruiting into his dark order, while others such as perhaps Frankenstein's monster will be less inclined to help him. Or the human half of the Wolfman will be good while the wolf half will be evil. Lots of possibilities. And yes, gender fluidity will be welcome for established characters, although it would be appreciated for anyone wanting to play a female Dracula to perhaps play as a vampiric version of Lilith, and a female Frankenstein's monster still resemble the Bride of Frankenstein rather than the more Lurch-y sort.

Anyway, let's see if this catches anyone's eye, and feel free to ask questions and make suggestions.

**************************************************************************************************

The year is 1985. A secretive agency has been preparing for a catastrophe hundreds of years in the making. Many prophecies have been made about an impending event that would spell the end of humankind's dominion over the earth if it is not averted. But this is no natural disaster; it is the return of the darkest beings known to man. Thought to be legends to the majority of humanity, they are very real and have merely lain dormant, lying in wait for the time to rise again and reclaim earth as their exclusive domain.

Are you one of the brave men and women of the agency, trained and prepared to fight for mankind's future? Are you one of the creatures, but friendly the plight of man? Or are you one of the sinister beasts, eager to play your role in plunging earth into darkness for the foreseeable future?

Just for reference, here is a list of potential characters and creatures we will need to have roles filled for in order to make the game feel 'whole'.

Van Helsing family descendants
Frankenstein family descendants
O'Connell family descendants
Jekyll/Hyde family descendants

Dracula/Brides of Dracula/(Other misc. vampires - less priority than Drac and named ones)
Frankenstein's Monster/Bride of Frankenstein
Wolfman/Werewolf
Mummy
Invisible Man
Creature From the Black Lagoon/Gill Man
Phantom of the Opera
Hunchback of Notre Dame/Igor

[float=right][img height=300][/img][/float]
[font=arial][b]Name/Identity:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Role/Alignment:[/b]
[b]Sex Preference (Self-identification and preferred pairing):[/b]
[b]O/Os:[/b]
[b]Special Skills/Talents/Abilities:[/b]
[b]Physical Description:[/b]
[b]Distinguishing Features:[/b]
[b]Face Claim:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]

Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Norsegod1839

Kadigan

Norsegod1839

AmandaShow

Entrapta: “Did you hear that, Emily? I’ve never had a lab partner before!"

Mathim

Quote from: AmandaShow on November 13, 2018, 08:44:12 PM
Here I am, rock you like a hurricane! :D

That's what should have been played when Thor finally showed up on the battlefield in Infinity War.

So, anyone want to claim a favorite character or their namesake?

Also, I had thought this should take place in the era of Monster Squad, i.e. the 1980's rather than the more archaic eras of the original films and even the newer reboot. Prior to cell phones and internet, just to make things more challenging.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Norsegod1839

I was debating either Van Helsing or Frankenstein as my name sake.

AmandaShow

Countess Dracula ;) if that is acceptable. Lilith just doesnt have the same flair as Dracula

Kadigan

I have two thoughts...

One being a descendant of the Creature of the Black Lagoon..or an offshoot of the same race, more an Aquawoman type (I've been eyeing AndrAIa from Reboot as sort of inspiration..)

My second, and just thought of and more preferred, is a descendant of the O'Connell's from The Mummy, sort of a Lara Croft Abbey Chase kind of type..if that movie would be considered "canon" to the game.

Mathim

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on November 13, 2018, 09:26:02 PM
I have two thoughts...

One being a descendant of the Creature of the Black Lagoon..or an offshoot of the same race, more an Aquawoman type (I've been eyeing AndrAIa from Reboot as sort of inspiration..)

My second, and just thought of and more preferred, is a descendant of the O'Connell's from The Mummy, sort of a Lara Croft Abbey Chase kind of type..if that movie would be considered "canon" to the game.

Sure, I was going to integrate all generations of those movies as potential canon, so anyone from any of the Mummy movies is fair game for someone working for the for-now nameless organization. Just no Abbot and Costello, much as they interacted with the Dark Universe.

Kadigan

Although if Norse decides to not go with Van Helsing, I might prefer that for some of the ideas I've been having.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on November 13, 2018, 09:26:02 PM
I have two thoughts...

My vote would be for the O'Connel descendant but Barb if you want Van Helsing you can have him/her

AmandaShow

No Abbott and Costello? There go my 2nd AND 3rd ideas for characters :p

Mathim

I wonder what that says about your first idea, LOL.

Anyone not cool with this being in the 80's? I didn't hear any objections so I assume that's okay to go with.

AmandaShow

Hehe ;) don't worry, Drac is in good hands!
Also, I love the 1980s setting personally

Norsegod1839

I'm fine either way but do think 80's would give it more of that classic monster movie vibe.

Mathim

Quote from: Norsegod1839 on November 13, 2018, 10:06:51 PM
I'm fine either way but do think 80's would give it more of that classic monster movie vibe.

I was just re-watching the Nostalgia Critic review of Monster Squad yesterday so it just kind of struck me as the perfect era (since the 2017 Mummy taking place in the present didn't really help it at all).

Norsegod1839

RedPhoenix

So I was just gonna lurk on this until you said the early 2000s mummy movies were canon...

This mean I can be Ankhesenamun's most recent incarnation? :D I'm picturing she's given up on Imhotep ever being able to keep his promises and is using her ancient wealth and magic for herself for a change? More liberated, less outright evil but still not at all a good guy?
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Norsegod1839

The Mummy series is a personal favorite of mine. I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to jump in as an O'Connell myself. I think thats a pretty fantastic idea Red. Especially if she's shucked that failure of a.... whatever he was to her.

He had TWO chances against the same guy and failed TWICE after all!

AmandaShow

Looks like the O'Connell's maybe shaping up to be the next Belmont family of preternatural exterminators :p

Norsegod1839

We'll have to see. Barbara if you want Van Helsing feel free to go ahead and slot in with that character.

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on November 13, 2018, 10:23:02 PM
So I was just gonna lurk on this until you said the early 2000s mummy movies were canon...

This mean I can be Ankhesenamun's most recent incarnation? :D I'm picturing she's given up on Imhotep ever being able to keep his promises and is using her ancient wealth and magic for herself for a change? More liberated, less outright evil but still not at all a good guy?

Think of canon as 'in name only'. You can rewrite events as you see fit to make your family's history more palatable. You're welcome to use the films as a guide to the history of the characters or villains but it's not set in stone as far as I'm concerned, I'm leaving that open to your interpretations so you can give yourselves as much freedom as desired. The names are just for familiarity's sake.

Quote from: Norsegod1839 on November 13, 2018, 10:25:24 PM
The Mummy series is a personal favorite of mine. I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to jump in as an O'Connell myself. I think thats a pretty fantastic idea Red. Especially if she's shucked that failure of a.... whatever he was to her.

He had TWO chances against the same guy and failed TWICE after all!

Well, to be fair, he was thinking with his dick both times.

Also, while there should technically only be one 'main' monster for each one in the pantheon (not including offshoots like the Bride of Frankenstein or those Brides of Dracula from the Hugh Jackman Van Helsing movie), it's no problem to allow for the current generation of each monster hunting family to have multiple siblings who work together, or even spouses or a parent and grown-up child.

Whatever their organization is called (we need names, people, let's brainstorm and get one picked out), the divisions within can be named after each of the founding families. The Frankenstein division will be the one that specializes in hard sciences, the Van Helsing division is the one that trains members in combat and how to deal with supernatural creatures, the O'Connell division develops weapons and trains in the use of tactical machinery and non-melee weaponry.

Anyway, I'm feeling super tired so I'm heading to bed. I'll probably have some time to check on this during work tomorrow at some point, otherwise it'll be about 20 hours from now before I'm back on.

Ciosa

I’m happy to throw my interest in here as well.   Has an OOC thread started?

Norsegod1839