Evil Pathfinder

Started by Regina Minx, November 04, 2017, 12:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regina Minx

I'm reading a series of tongue in cheek fantasy novels in which the protagonists are NPCs of a D&D style fantasy setting, trying to pass themselves off as legitimate adventurers. It's clever and fun and it has rekindled my desire to play a proper D&D or Pathfinder game. That being said, I'd be interested in playing an evil character. I'm not interested in being disruptive or psychotic, but an anti-hero or someone who's out for herself and would just as soon cross the street when she sees a paladin.

If there are any prospective GMs interested in accommodating such a character or a group that would take them, drop me a line.

Yukina

If this is a game of an evil party, I'll gladly join. :)

eBadger

I would love a good evil party 3.5/Pathfinder game. 

Zaer Darkwail

Would love also good evil party game in 3.5/pathfinder as well.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Ixy

LisztesFerenc

I could DM this, a party of evil PC is fun. Any specifics on what you kind of setting you want? Lawless edge of an empire, new frontier/colonialism, heart of a kingdom/bustling metropolis? Also, what kind of evil? Just standard fantasy quest only your evil, or you're establishing a crime family, criminal organization, maybe at the head of an invading army?

Cataclysmic Archangel

Personally I find I play LE best as the power hungry ruler to be.

Buuut I also have a rape happy savage locked away as well. :)

Yukina

I'd prefer the criminal organization overtaking the governments. :)

Regina Minx

I think it's great to have so many interested potential group members, as well as at least one interested GM.

For my part, I'm sort of looking for a happy balance between a dark and gritty realistic portrayal of evil and a moustache-twirling caricature.

As far as setting goes...I kind of feel like there are a few ways to go with this. The group was in prison together, and managed to escape and flee into the wilderness, depend on each other for survival kind of thing might be good for group cohesion and solid motivation to start out with. Alternately, trying to climb the ranks of an evil organization or working for the same paymaster in a bustling metropolis might be richer in opportunity for individual action. It's a trade-off either way.

Zaer Darkwail

I agree, for evil party to work we need common shared circumstance where we were forced work together for sake of survival and then have shared common enemy (example prisoners in a prison and then participate jailbreak is good way form bond where from expand then).

Regina Minx

Agreed. I just want to put it out there from the start that while I may be shooting for an evil character here, she's going to have a backstory and motivations that involve more than just wanton destruction, murderous rage, or continuous backstabbing She won't go around betraying or attacking their allies, and my goal will be to likewise try to avoid conflicts with other players’ characters—everyone is here to have fun, after all.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Works for me.

Could even go evil paladin so I’m reined in a little. :)

LisztesFerenc

Here's my idea for a basic game premise (names may change, it ones of my weaker points as GM):

The Morasti Desert

A hundred years ago, the Verkilen legions marched against the elven tribes of the Morasti Desert. It was a long war, the hopelessly outmatched elves needing to employ hit and run tactics, whilst the legion tried to surround them, and force them to fight. Finally after a grueling 16 month, near the centre of the desert they achieved this goal, and the slaughter began. As the angry sun rose to its highest point in the sky, the holy seeress of the elves called out to the powers of the desert. Realizing her people could not be saved, she instead implored them to avenge them. A sand storm rose, its size and intensity unmatched, stretching almost the full length of Morasti Desert, with winds so strong that they stripped flesh from bone.

The storm persisted for a hundred years, but now without warning it has finally died down, opening up the desert for all. Merchants are eager to have it mapped, as it could greatly shorten several trade routes. Archaeologists are mounting expeditions to the various ancient ruins that dot the sands, while the remnants of the elven tribes and Verkilen Kingdom are planning to visit the site of the final battle. Where there is this much interest, there is always opportunity.

The PCs I imagine would know each other as the start, as one of the groups trying to capitalize on this new opportunity, either as part of a guild/criminal syndicate or their own independent group. Starting level would be low, but not necessarily 1, unless players want that. What do people think of that?

Zaer Darkwail

Sounds good to me, albeit considering time/length of usual games in forum format and leveling being rare thing I would prefer if we start above 1st level. Not above 10 but somewhere between 1 and 10. My thoughts anyways. Fine with concept belonging to some opportunistic group, perhaps even crime syndicate who seeks some profitable criminal opportunity in the sands. Perhaps potentially think forming bandit/raider groups which will strike on trade caravans when roads are established and fat loads of trade goods would be lost/stolen in desert or such.

Cataclysmic Archangel

I like the premise, absolutely. Need to think on a character when I’m home.

eBadger

Sounds good, if Regina is good with it.  I'd also like to start with a bit of experience. 

I'm thinking an eleven caster, a survivor of the war who feels it's still on. 

And definitely no pvp without prior consent.  Evil is fun, infighting isn't. 

Regina Minx

Zaer's suggestion is a good one. Above 1, lower than 10 would give us a little bit of a buffer for squishy-ness and all, and being part of a desert raider group sounds fun.

I'd like to try a Zen Archer monk. Someone to half-ass a Robin Hood type. She's very interested in robbing the rich. Giving to the poor, though....that's the part she doesn't get.

Yukina

Sounds nice. Maybe 5th or 6th level?

Cataclysmic Archangel

Im feeling either an evil overlord kind of caster, or some sort of blackguard/fallen paladin. I should point out my 3.5 is strong, my pathfinder-fu is pretty weak.

Ixy

It's doable.  How much liberty with background, setting, etc

eBadger

Quote from: Cataclysmic Archangel on November 05, 2017, 11:11:53 AMI should point out my 3.5 is strong, my pathfinder-fu is pretty weak.

*playful nudge* if only there were a learn to play game awaiting your response somewhere  ;)

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: eBadger on November 05, 2017, 11:52:35 AM
*playful nudge* if only there were a learn to play game awaiting your response somewhere  ;)

It totally dropped off my radar. No bookmarks, no notifications.  I just assumed it died  or filled up.

Chulanowa

I'd be in, if there's space, and we're not looking at grimdark evil.

Callie Del Noire

Still rueing not getting to use my enchanting courtesan poisoner