News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Aetherpunk (Steampunk, Freeform, LGBT Friendly)

Started by Crash, July 13, 2014, 12:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

Quote from: Madame Professor on July 18, 2014, 01:25:11 PMYeah, multiple characters are certainly allowed so long as you can handle them. :-)

I'm disappointed it's been over five hours and we're yet to see a single comment about the innuendo rife in this post

:-)

Jemady Angel

I was thinking about one of my other characters (which I use over different genres too) who is a mechanic. She would be a brilliant airship mechanic as well as a designer. Though I would have to see more of what the rest of the game has to see where she would fit in. I am thinking at least a behind the scene pirate lover/repair woman if not also one who works on the docs normal and such. Just have to read about a little bit more. :)
<---- O/o

Hazy Sky

Quote from: Jemady Angel on July 18, 2014, 09:06:10 PM
I was thinking about one of my other characters (which I use over different genres too) who is a mechanic. She would be a brilliant airship mechanic as well as a designer. Though I would have to see more of what the rest of the game has to see where she would fit in. I am thinking at least a behind the scene pirate lover/repair woman if not also one who works on the docs normal and such. Just have to read about a little bit more. :)

Sounds like an interesting character idea Jemady. I'm sure the Comet could use a good rigger to make repairs and alterations. Are they any good with rockets at all? ;)

I'm also considering a second character, just to add another male character to the group as much as anything else, but I'm going to leave it a little while and see how much time the good Captain takes up. I suspect he could end up everywhere talking to everyone and lecturing Gastard for being a cad. Again...
I might take either doctor or armourer, depending on what Kimera goes for.
Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Swashbuckler

Quote from: skyre on July 19, 2014, 01:19:37 AMI suspect he could end up everywhere talking to everyone and lecturing Gastard for being a cad. Again...

Ahem!  Thats Gaspard, Englishman!  And I resemblethat remark!

Hazy Sky

Quote from: Swashbuckler on July 19, 2014, 01:29:04 PM
Ahem!  Thats Gaspard, Englishman!  And I resemblethat remark!

Apologies Gaspard. My auto correct was being unhelpful as usual. The cad bit remains accurate and if you don't like it you can take it up with the Captain. :P

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

The Type-Moon wiki is as evil as TV Tropes. I've fallen in and I can't get out!

Crash

I have a bit of time so I am going to look over pm's and try to get the faceclaims updated.  If you have any questions let me know.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Swashbuckler

Quote from: skyre on July 19, 2014, 01:48:37 PM
Apologies Gaspard. My auto correct was being unhelpful as usual. The cad bit remains accurate and if you don't like it you can take it up with the Captain. :P

I will not even hint at what my auto correct picks.... :-[

As for the other bit, don't think he wont! (Because he wont)

Swashbuckler

I am in Hawaii for the week.  I will check in from time to time for OOC shenanigans and PMs, but posting will not recommence until the 28th.

South Pacific Swashbuckler

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Kimera

Pfff...can't seem to make up a decent character concept. I blame the warm weather

Jemady Angel

Quote from: skyre on July 19, 2014, 01:19:37 AM
Sounds like an interesting character idea Jemady. I'm sure the Comet could use a good rigger to make repairs and alterations. Are they any good with rockets at all? ;)

I'm also considering a second character, just to add another male character to the group as much as anything else, but I'm going to leave it a little while and see how much time the good Captain takes up. I suspect he could end up everywhere talking to everyone and lecturing Gastard for being a cad. Again...
I might take either doctor or armourer, depending on what Kimera goes for.
I am up between a male and a female, I want to up the amount of males as well but when I tried to find a picture to give me some ideas and concepts to further the male idea I... failed... miserably x.x

Also, just got called in to cover a shift tonight - and possibly next Monday. So I am sorry if I am about and have not replied (if I need to yet) as of today. I will try tomorrow if I need to, since, I will napping soon for the long night. hehe.
<---- O/o

Kimera

Quote from: Jemady Angel on July 21, 2014, 03:51:24 PM
I am up between a male and a female, I want to up the amount of males as well but when I tried to find a picture to give me some ideas and concepts to further the male idea I... failed... miserably x.x

Also, just got called in to cover a shift tonight - and possibly next Monday. So I am sorry if I am about and have not replied (if I need to yet) as of today. I will try tomorrow if I need to, since, I will napping soon for the long night. hehe.

That's one of the problems I've been having as well. Unable to find good pictures for inspiration : /

Hazy Sky

Quote from: Kimera on July 20, 2014, 02:14:33 PM
Pfff...can't seem to make up a decent character concept. I blame the warm weather

Keep at it Kimera, we aren't progressing very fast at the moment.

Quote from: Jemady Angel on July 21, 2014, 03:51:24 PM

No rush Jemady. Like I just said above we don't seem to be progressing very fast at the moment. I'll be sure to let you know when your character has been found, if you should happen to miss it for any reason.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Hazy Sky

Also Tumblr has so good steampunk stuff if you're looking for steampunk for inspiration. I just rebelled and went for the King of Cool.

Crash and Madame might be able to help out with some other suggestions.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Crash

Tumblr is a good search.  Really good male steampunk pics are hard to find.  More so than female pics really.  Is there a look you are going for?  Hair color?  Beard?  Scruffy? Rich?

consortium11

This online clothes store has quite a few "archetype" male steampunk characters with a brief bio attached... not always the best photos but may give ideas.

Pintrest seems to be a better source for me when it comes to male Steampunk pics than Tumblr. For example this pin page (or whatever they're called) had quite a lot of pictures and I'm sure there's more out there.

I think the issue on the male/female point is that while there's quite a few steampunk/neo-Victorian female models out there, there aren't many male models. What that means is that you're often restricted to either one-off professional shoots (or even one-off photos) to pick from if you go with a model or "civilians" wearing homemade costumes to conventions which, while often amazing, suffer from generally being poorer pictures and again, often one-offs.

One thing that might help is to minimise the steampunk aspect and expand the Victorian side of things. The temptation when finding a picture for a steampunk character is to look for a photo filled with gears and brass... but realistically would a character have that? An engineer, sure, maybe... but just because steam is the dominant power source doesn't mean things associated with it will be on every item of clothing or accessory; we don't have things to do with electricity plastered all over us.

Look for say films set in Victorian times and see if there's a male character from there who works; a large part of steampunk is neo-Victorian after all. If you're desperate for some more blatantly steampunk elements, I'd be willing to have a shot at adding some simple cogs, gears or the like in with photoshop if that would help.

Crash

Pintrest is a good place to look, I concur.  Type in the year the game takes place in a search with men's fashion.  That may generate some hits.

Crash

Those in the Comet.  You can be in more than one scene at a time.  So if you want to post you can just put the date after the initial take over of the ship.  We encourage taking on an additional scene if your posting rate is generally faster than the current scene you are in.

Madame Professor

I find Pintrest and Tumblr are both useful, just depends on what you are looking for.

I've done some browsing through Pintrest and here are some of what I've found.

Dapper Menfolk

Here is the link that I used and you can mix up the search, too: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=steampunk%20men

And a few more... just cause... I could search for pictures all day.

More Gentlemen

And in my searching for lovely menfolk... This turned up and I thought it appropriate..

The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Loves

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Crash

Three Musketeers has been a pretty cool show and the costumes are great.  Doubt they are historically accurate, but very cool.

Loves

ON HIATUS AGAIN

consortium11

Quote from: Crash on July 21, 2014, 09:51:02 PM
Three Musketeers has been a pretty cool show and the costumes are great.  Doubt they are historically accurate, but very cool.

Not in the slightest, but in this case arguably to our benefit (at least from a steampunk point of view).

The Musketeers is set in 1630's but the brief the designer was given was "16th century with contemporary twist". The contemporary twist is why we get the sort cowboy/pirate/musketeer hybrid that appears on the show.

Hazy Sky

I'm going to kick off a first adventure for the Comet, just give everyone options about past and present storyline. Loves, I'm going to borrow Aletta into the scene to give Nate someone to talk to if that's alright with you?

Crash and Madame, my suggestion adventure is as follows:
The Captain has come across a treasure map showing the site of the wreck of Spanish treasure ship on an island far out in the Pacific ocean. First item on the list. Steal or acquire some diving gear to get to the treasure. The twist is that other pirates and treasure hunters have acquired copies of the maps and will be hunting for it as well. Is this idea acceptable to both of you?

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB