What's cooking?

Started by Kalen, April 01, 2008, 06:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solaine

Just finished a bold experiment-- sweet potato/pumpkin pie
“Not the glittering weapon fights the fight, but rather the hero's heart.” ~ Proverb
~Currently not available for new games.~

Oniya

Having had both individually, I can see that working.

Poached chicken breasts, shredded and then cooked a little longer in salsa, served over rice, topped with cheese, fresh tomatoes and onions, and a side of corn.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Maeven

Dry Life cereal mixed with dried cranberries.  YUM!
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

RedFang

Thinking about going and getting some Ramen... or Korean BBQ.
Sometimes I read the post, type the posts and then forget what I was doing.

Dawg

MmmmMmmm

Spinach Carbonara Pizza

1 pkg (13.8 oz) refrigerated pizza crust
6 slices bacon, divided
1 pkg (10 oz) fresh baby spinach leaves (about 10 cups)
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 oz grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup packed)
1 cup jarred Alfredo pasta sauce
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
Additional coarsely ground black pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 450°F. Unroll dough over bottom of lightly greased Large Bar Pan. Gently stretch and press dough to cover bottom of bar pan. Bake 10-12 minutes or until crust begins to brown; remove pan from oven to Cooling Rack.

Meanwhile, slice bacon into 1/4-in. pieces; cook in (8-in.) Sauté Pan over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; drain on paper towels. Place spinach and garlic pressed with Garlic Press into Pyrex Bowl. Cover bowl; microwave on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Carefully remove lid; press spinach to side of bowl. Dab excess moisture with paper towels and set aside.

Grate Parmesan cheese; set aside. Finely chop half of the bacon using Food Chopper. Measure Alfredo sauce (2-cup). Add chopped bacon and black pepper to Alfredo sauce; mix well.

To assemble pizza, spread sauce to edges of crust. Top sauce completely with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, spinach mixture and remaining bacon. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and additional black pepper, if desired.

Bake 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Remove from oven to cooling rack. Cut pizza into squares using Pizza Cutter.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Aeval

Dawg - did you make that yourself? and do you deliver?? ;D
I reheated kube that I had frozen (it's potatoes mashed- made into a flat pancake- stuffed with rice and ground beef and spices such as cinnamon and cumin- then rolled shut and fried in oil..yum!

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

Dawg

Quote from: Aeval on December 14, 2008, 09:24:32 PM
Dawg - did you make that yourself? and do you deliver?? ;D
I reheated kube that I had frozen (it's potatoes mashed- made into a flat pancake- stuffed with rice and ground beef and spices such as cinnamon and cumin- then rolled shut and fried in oil..yum!

Not all by myself, Puppy helped and it was Wicked Awesome.

Actually very easy to make, give it a shot sometime (hint, the large stoneware bar pan from papmered chef is the perfect size for it). The original recipe calls for 6oz of spinach but I put more on is and it taste better.  Also, experiment with the cheeses if you like different cheeses.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Oniya

Homemade pizza isn't all that difficult.  I've got a bread machine, and use it to make the actual crust as well.  No more waiting for Domino's to bring back the Pesto Crust!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Aeval

Quote from: Dawg on December 14, 2008, 09:28:55 PM

Not all by myself, Puppy helped and it was Wicked Awesome.

Actually very easy to make, give it a shot sometime (hint, the large stoneware bar pan from papmered chef is the perfect size for it). The original recipe calls for 6oz of spinach but I put more on is and it taste better.  Also, experiment with the cheeses if you like different cheeses.
My bread machine broke  :( been thinking about getting a new one..this sounds like a good reason!

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

Dawg

Amen to that, another deal I have when I can is I convinced the local Jet's Pizza to sell me the raw doe and freeze it, then when we want homemade we just pull out a roll from the freezer and let it thaw out (not as good as fresh but a ton cheaper and made to order)

The recipe we used tonight calls for the refrigerated brand you can find in any grocery store for convinience, but you can use your own if you like.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Aeval

Quote from: Dawg on December 14, 2008, 10:07:38 PM
Amen to that, another deal I have when I can is I convinced the local Jet's Pizza to sell me the raw doe and freeze it, then when we want homemade we just pull out a roll from the freezer and let it thaw out (not as good as fresh but a ton cheaper and made to order)

The recipe we used tonight calls for the refrigerated brand you can find in any grocery store for convinience, but you can use your own if you like.
You must be VERY persuasive and charming for a chain to agree to sell you their pzza dough! *Aeval is impressed..writing down to remember to go to Dawg when she needs someone to 'persuade' a store to do something for her..could come in handy some day!*

― Neil Gaiman

AmazonPrincess

Chicken with broiled vegetables, white rice and green sauce made of green vegetables.
My favorite  ;D

Oniya

Chicken with apricot and honey glaze, served on a bed of couscous and topped with apricot slices.

AmazonPrincess

Quote from: Oniya on December 18, 2008, 04:17:06 PM
Chicken with apricot and honey glaze, served on a bed of couscous and topped with apricot slices.
This food sounds exotic :)
I would really love to learn how to cook it  ;D

Mordred

I open the stove... unable to make out the scents...
And find a take-out menu for Roberto's Pizza.
Pizza is cooking.
*See Pillory*

Oniya

Quote from: AmazonPrincess on December 18, 2008, 04:41:17 PM
This food sounds exotic :)
I would really love to learn how to cook it  ;D

The couscous came from a box, takes about five minutes and isn't any more difficult than rice.  The chicken was pan-fried for about 5 minutes a side, then covered and kept on med. low.  The glaze consisted of the liquid from a can of apricot halves (which were sliced up for the topping), a dollop of honey (2-3 second squeeze), and a little cornstarch to thicken.  The liquid ingredients were brought to a boil to thicken, then dumped with the sliced apricots in onto the chicken and allowed to cook until the chicken was done.

Bliss

Hershey's Kisses and some roasted Wasabi Peas.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

Home-cooked collard greens with bits of ham, slathered in Louisiana hot sauce.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Dawg

Feeling better so going to try this for Puppy and I

Shrimp Scampi with Linguini

1 pound linguini
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 shallots, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves

For the pasta, put a large pot of water on the stove to boil. When it has come to the boil, add a couple of tablespoons of salt and the linguini. Stir to make sure the pasta separates; cover. When the water returns to a boil, cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the pasta is not quite done. Drain the pasta.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes (if using) until the shallots are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper; add them to the pan and cook until they have turned pink, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan; set aside and keep warm. Add wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil. When the butter has melted, return the shrimp to the pan along with the parsley and cooked pasta. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over a bit more olive oil and serve immediately.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Aleksandr

Oh man! Once I get my stuff I can throw it up here!
Insert witticism. But before I do that, I gotta throw up my Ons and Offs, right? Let's see if I can find them... AHA. Got'em.

Aeval

biscuit with applebutter, chicken and dumplings and hash browns (reheated from Cracker Barrel ummmgood! ;D)

― Neil Gaiman

Dawg

As a follow-up, for someone who hates seafood of any kind, the Shrimp Linguini turned out Awesome and Puppy loved it as well.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Paradox

Tortilla chips and some of the hottest damned salsa I've ever had, which is saying a lot.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Victor LaCroix

I'm actually baking fresh bread. I love the smell of it as well as the taste. Nothing beats fresh bread. Currently I'm finishing up some Cardamom bread. It's a sweet bread. Very good stuff. P.I.T.A. to make, but the pay off is well worth it.
A taste is Simply Divine

Oniya

Two words, Victor - Bread machine. ;D  Fresh bread with 2/3 the work.