Started by Elven Sex Goddess, January 10, 2008, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

Quote from: halspeedyrp on February 27, 2008, 08:46:33 PM
Another Hunter insert foot in mouth...  ;D

I do enjoy the taste of foot fungus.   :P

Rydia

Check it out.

What are you doing just reading this profile?  Say hello to the friendly Rydia.

Rydia

This week, Senator Obama did something I thought was kind of classy.  There was a report in the New York Times that John McCain might not be eligible to be president, because it played a semantic with how you define "natural born." McCain was born on a U.S. military base in Panama while his father was in the Navy.

Senator Claire McCaskill hand-wrote a bill when she heard this story in order to clarify the legal definition of "natural born" to include John McCain. Senator Obama immediately responded by co-sponsoring the legislation.

By this action, Obama is basically saying, "I want a fair fight, and this is a distraction I don't want raised." This appeals to a fair-play principle I very much like, and I predict it will result in lots of good news for Obama as a result.
Check it out.

What are you doing just reading this profile?  Say hello to the friendly Rydia.

rainshadow

I've seen that discussed before (not in the case of McCain, but actually as a discussion in a government class in high school), and American citizens born on military bases off of American soil are the exception to the "natural born" term... and as I understand it, one of the reasonings I've hear is that US military bases are actually considered American soil while we hold that ground (same with embassies).

To be completely honest, classy or not, it was a no-brainer on Obama's part. Imagine the backlash he would recieve had he argued McCain's legitimacy as a candidate because of where he was born. His father was serving in the military!

It would not only be the mistake that Clinton needed to eek her way into the nomination, it would quite possibly be the mistake the Republicans need to maintain their hold on the White House.

In short, even considering touching that topic would be campaign suicide. Therefore, dumber than snot.
"The ticket to the future is always open. What happens in the future is our own responsibility." - Rem, Trigun

"Nothing says 'I hate war' like a good explosion in a populated area." -rainshadow

Moondazed

I believe the point was that he didn't just ignore it, he addressed it directly. 
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

rainshadow

Either way, it was a no-brainer on his part.
"The ticket to the future is always open. What happens in the future is our own responsibility." - Rem, Trigun

"Nothing says 'I hate war' like a good explosion in a populated area." -rainshadow