News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

WoW talk about an evil game review.

Started by Callie Del Noire, December 01, 2010, 09:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14567.phtml

Wow.. this is a really up front filleting of the reviewed RPG. This is .. blunt.

A sample is listed below...

Quote'Cause it's the Necronomicon of role-playing games. Not in the cool way, where it's a source of occult knowledge with a terrible, terrible price. It's the Necronomicon in the sense that if you leave a printed copy on your shelf with other RPGs, then the other RPGs will be clustered around the dead, violated body of one of its own in the morning. The copy of FATAL will most likely be down at the station in the Sex Crimes interrogation room, trying its best to put on an innocent face and failing miserably.

Brandon

I didnt read the whole thing but to honest I couldnt. After the first two huge blocks of negativity that gave lots of seemingly pointless comparisons and observations regarding the developers, the game, and seemingly unrelated topics I stopped reading. Its like they were doing a very bad Yahtzee impersonation except reviewing roleplaying games instead of video games

Its alright to call a game crap if its crap, in fact its probably safer to assume everythings crap till proven otherwise. However if you cant actually talk about the game and why its bad within 12 paragraphs then the review is crap as well.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

DarklingAlice

FATAL kind of transcends crap. Thanks for the link Callie, it has been too long since I gave that a read through ^_^
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Brandon on December 01, 2010, 10:02:43 PM
I didnt read the whole thing but to honest I couldnt. After the first two huge blocks of negativity that gave lots of seemingly pointless comparisons and observations regarding the developers, the game, and seemingly unrelated topics I stopped reading. Its like they were doing a very bad Yahtzee impersonation except reviewing roleplaying games instead of video games

Its alright to call a game crap if its crap, in fact its probably safer to assume everythings crap till proven otherwise. However if you cant actually talk about the game and why its bad within 12 paragraphs then the review is crap as well.

EXACTLY.. there was some seriously mean things said in the review..

about the NINTH use of my thumbwheel, I started hitting page down and try to get an idea of WHY they hated it..

vangina circumference stat?

ALL sorts of weird things on a table..

woof.

DarklingAlice

The bit with the armor enchantments based on racial stereotype was...well, I can't say that it was where I started wishing that this game didn't exist, but it was certainly a benchmark in my loathing.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Envious

Quote from: Brandon on December 01, 2010, 10:02:43 PM

+1

Oniya

From RPGNetWiki: as 'The Game That Must Not Be Named'.  (A three-paragraph entry that probably sums up the 9 thumb-wheel scrolls in the initial post)

QuoteIn the first edition, F.A.T.A.L is an acronym for "Fantasy Adventures to Adult Lechery", but this was toned down to "From Another Time, Another Land" in the second edition.

Also:
The most infamous and prevalent form of objectionable material is FATAL's bizarre and juvenile sexual content. For instance, character creation includes the calculation of statistics such as "Areola Size", "Vaginal Circumference Potential", and "Hymen Resistance". Worse, the game blithely condones rape as a character activity and contains many other instances of blatant misogyny, not to mention casual racism - for example. magic items included cursed armour types which would transform PCs into racial stereotypes. Of secondary concern is the monstrously overcomplicated rules system, which requires unwieldy dice rolls, convoluted mathematical formula and tables for everything the designer could conceivably make one for, many of which are bizarre, such as the infamous Magical Fumbles Table and, again, sexually obsessive, such as a formula for increased penile penetration during a certain position of intercourse.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17