News:

Main Menu

World Cup 2018

Started by Remiel, June 18, 2018, 09:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Remiel on July 07, 2018, 03:54:11 PM
It used to be that way, but I think they changed it in...2002? 2006? to play the full 30 minutes of extended time.

Croatia would have won with the old "golden goal" rules, and they did win on penalties in the end. Deserved, I would say - but both Russia and Sweden (also exiting tonight) have shown much more solid teams than anyone would have expected,

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Remiel

England defeating Sweden was predictable.

The other game was anything but.  For a second I thought Russia was actually going to make it to the semifinals.

mia h

Quote from: Remiel on July 07, 2018, 03:02:29 PM
I think she meant that she wouldn't put it past Putin to arrange an "accident" so Russia could win.
I was thinking more about the tabloid headlines and conspiracy theorists going nuts.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

gaggedLouise

It feels kinda good not to get an England - Russia match though, I think that would have been seen as the most risky game of them all, with the tensions between Britain and Russia and some agitated fans.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Remiel

Quote from: mia h on July 07, 2018, 04:05:12 PM
I was thinking more about the tabloid headlines and conspiracy theorists going nuts.

Obviously you haven't seen the comments on the FIFA Youtube channel.  There are already accusations of the VAR being biased toward European teams.

Polymorph

Quote from: Remiel on July 07, 2018, 04:14:42 PM
Obviously you haven't seen the comments on the FIFA Youtube channel.  There are already accusations of the VAR being biased toward European teams.

Also accusations of pro English bias against the American referee in the England-Colombia game were made by Diego Maradona and others. Though his past history would suggest that Maradona has only distant relationship with truth and honesty himself.

Deamonbane

Quote from: Polymorph on July 08, 2018, 02:18:30 AM
Also accusations of pro English bias against the American referee in the England-Colombia game were made by Diego Maradona and others. Though his past history would suggest that Maradona has only distant relationship with truth and honesty himself.
I think they found some blood in his cocainestream after making those statements. It was quickly rectified.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Remiel

Quote from: Deamonbane on July 08, 2018, 07:04:04 AM
I think they found some blood in his cocainestream after making those statements. It was quickly rectified.

;D

mia h

Nico

Very much looking forward to todays game!

I hope France makes it.

mia h

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44777637
If England win tomorrow two UK supermarkets will close early on Sunday so the staff can watch the final.

Blonde

England V France final it is  ;)
On&Off's | Request Thread NewestV.1 && V.2 | Visual Index | Gif Index

Remiel

Quote from: Blonde on July 10, 2018, 02:57:15 PM
England V France final it is  ;)

I wouldn't count Croatia out just yet

but you're probably right.

The Green One

FRANCE!!! <3

I'm sorry happy right now~

Not available for new stories

Blonde

Quote from: Remiel on July 10, 2018, 03:02:58 PM
I wouldn't count Croatia out just yet

but you're probably right.
Tomorrow is the first game I've actually felt nervous about. I wouldn't necessarily say England have had an easy route to the semi, but definitely the easier draws than Croatia, I don't feel England have really been challenged yet, aside from Columbia. Back to back penalties for Croatia, and they did look exhausted at the end of the game against Russia.

Although Sterling tends to take two players with him, just hope he doesn't start.
On&Off's | Request Thread NewestV.1 && V.2 | Visual Index | Gif Index

mia h

I wouldn't assume Croatia losing a certainty, but England V France is better for England than going up against a team they've already lost against in the tournament.

Remiel

Quote from: mia h on July 10, 2018, 03:29:39 PM
I wouldn't assume Croatia losing a certainty, but England V France is better for England than going up against a team they've already lost against in the tournament.

If you mean the Belgium-England loss,  I don't think that game really counted.  Both sides sat their star players, so it was really a matchup of the B squads.

Deamonbane

I do think that a France x England would be interesting, from a technical point of view.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Formless

I just hope the Final match plays out excitingly. France ruined their victory with their 'cheap time wasting tricks' with Belgium.

And I think the England has a better chance to win tomorrow. Not discounting Croatia already, but all their matches went into extra time, and that takes its toll on the players.

Vergil Tanner

I think England, if they play the way they've played the other times rather than against Sweden, will win against Croatia. Croatia is a very strong defensive team, but if England starts off in their normal "Attack attack attack" mode, they should be able to run Croatia ragged. If England plays fast paced football, bouncing the ball around and forcing Croatia to scramble to defend, then by the time it gets to the 60 minute mark, Croatia's energy levels will be through the fucking floor and they should be making more mistakes, making it easier to pick apart.

If England starts the way they did against Sweden - sluggish, uncertain and slow - then it will give Croatia a chance to break into their "Second Wind," get a rest and get into a rhythm...and that's what you don't want.

I wouldn't say England has had any easy matches (since the group stages, anyway), especially considering how young the team is and how inexperienced they are playing with each other compared to a lot of the other teams, but Croatia has had a much harder route...and honestly, England should be drilling to exploit that.

Honestly, for me, I'm glad that France won against Belgium. Cheap tactics aside, and I mean no offence to the French side here, I think France is the easier game. Just looking at their team makeup and their performance in the tournament so far, Belgium has just got so many more high-tier, world class players who are used to playing with each other, and are much harder to break down. I think the loss of a good couple of their better players to fouls hurt them in the France game, but if England can beat Croatia, I think England have got a better chance of beating France than they would have had in beating Belgium. That isn't to say that France isn't a good team; they wouldn't have made it to the finals if they weren't. It would be a tough game, no doubt, I just think that this years Belgium squad is, on balance, the stronger side.

Am I expecting England to win? No. They're a young team and there are a couple of "Waste of space players" on the team - fucking hell, get rid of Sterling, he's useless; he's our Number 10, and I don't think he's scored fucking once and the one chance he did have, he fluffed and then got greedy instead of laying it off when he should have - but it's certainly not outside the realms of possibility. It isn't like one of the games we have to win is against like...2000's Brazil. The England squad, as it stands, is more than capable of beating Croatia and France. They'll be tough games...but I think England could do it. I'm not expecting it since as an England supporter who wasn't even born the last time we got to the Semi's, I've grown up with a great degree of cynicism regarding English football, but...I think we have a chance, if nothing else.
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Polymorph

Almost 12 hours to kick off and I'm already so hyped up and nervous I'm not sure whether to poop or throw up. Last time I felt this queasy was on my first parachute jump 30 years ago.

mia h

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 10, 2018, 09:22:18 PM
Am I expecting England to win? No. They're a young team and there are a couple of "Waste of space players" on the team - fucking hell, get rid of Sterling, he's useless;
So Sterling to score a brace tonight then,  ;D

Nico

Eight hours to go. XD

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: mia h on July 11, 2018, 01:56:11 AM
So Sterling to score a brace tonight then,  ;D

I wish he does, if only to justify his spot on the team! >.>

Quote from: Nico on July 11, 2018, 04:58:37 AM
Eight hours to go. XD

Don't remind me. I live in China, so I have to wake up tomorrow to find out the score >.>
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

RedRose

Really happy France won, for those who follow the football. Less than happy about the rioting.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]