News:

Main Menu

World Cup 2018

Started by Remiel, June 18, 2018, 09:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deamonbane

They played in the group stages in 2014. I think SoCal might survive.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Remiel

Quote from: Aiden on June 27, 2018, 11:42:17 PM
Brazil vs Mexico is going to destroy southern California.

Well, San Diego at least.

Aleph

So no Asian finalists. No African finalists bar Senegal. No CONCACAF finalists bar Mexico. Otherwise, all South America and Europe.

I'm starting to think the 48 team format in Qatar won't be so bad.

mia h

The World Cup is supposed to be the best 32 national teams competing. If that happened based on world rankings we should have seen this mix of teams
2 African teams , 3 Central American teams , 7 South American teams , 0 Oceanic teams , 0 Asian teams & 20 European teams

but what we got is
5 African teams , 3 Central American teams , 5 South American teams , 0 Oceanic teams , 5 Asian teams & 14 European teams

Extend it to 48 teams and that mix would have been
7 African teams , 3 Central American teams , 8 South American teams , 0 Oceanic teams , 2 Asian teams & 28 European teams
but we won't see anything like that, why should more European and South American teams miss out so more teams that are going to be taking the first flight home can be included?
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Aleph

Quote from: mia h on June 29, 2018, 04:13:11 AM
The World Cup is supposed to be the best 32 national teams competing. If that happened based on world rankings we should have seen this mix of teams
2 African teams , 3 Central American teams , 7 South American teams , 0 Oceanic teams , 0 Asian teams & 20 European teams

but what we got is
5 African teams , 3 Central American teams , 5 South American teams , 0 Oceanic teams , 5 Asian teams & 14 European teams

Extend it to 48 teams and that mix would have been
7 African teams , 3 Central American teams , 8 South American teams , 0 Oceanic teams , 2 Asian teams & 28 European teams
but we won't see anything like that, why should more European and South American teams miss out so more teams that are going to be taking the first flight home can be included?

Sorry; to be clear, I was expressing my frustration that teams outside Europe and South America didn't seem to be improving like I hoped they would.

That said, the world rankings aren't that good unless you're trying to work out extremes (eg. Is Brazil better than Zimbabwe?). Some interesting critiques here and here.

Ironically, my excitement over the expansion is primarily that two countries I support for family reasons, Scotland and Wales are more likely to appear, upping the European quotient.

Amelita

I'm rediculously excited about this Cup, with how it's gone so far  :D

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Remiel

Quote from: Aleph on June 29, 2018, 02:50:06 AM
So no Asian finalists. No African finalists bar Senegal. No CONCACAF finalists bar Mexico. Otherwise, all South America and Europe.

I'm starting to think the 48 team format in Qatar won't be so bad.

Er...Japan qualified, not Senegal.  Thanks to the obscure "fair play points" tiebreaker.

Remiel

Poll's up!  I'm only going to have it up for the next seven days to prevent Johnny-come-latelys.

Who do you think is going to win now that Germany has been eliminated?

Aleph

Quote from: Remiel on June 29, 2018, 07:31:03 AM
Er...Japan qualified, not Senegal.  Thanks to the obscure "fair play points" tiebreaker.

Ah, thanks Remiel, I'd missed that angle!

Aleph

Quote from: Amelita on June 29, 2018, 06:19:56 AM
I'm rediculously excited about this Cup, with how it's gone so far  :D

I agree, there's been a pile of watchable games and only 1 nil-all draw. I'm just miffed that they're all difficult to watch now from Australia (the two remaining kick off time slots are 00:00 and 04:00 for me  >:( ) At least the group stage had kick offs at 22:00 this time around.

Remiel

Yeah, that's what it was for me back in 2002 when South Korea and Japan hosted it.  I was getting up at 4am to watch the matches.

And as much as I was pulling for the Socceroos, the fact is, they're just not good.   As an American, it damn near broke my heart when the USA didn't even qualify but the fact is, we suck right now.  When all the chips were on the line, and when we badly needed a victory, we couldn't even beat Trinidad and Tobago.  So as much as it sucked, I had to admit that the USA didn't deserve to go to Russia.

But I have high hopes of Pulisic and hopefully we'll be back to kick some ass in Qatar.

Deamonbane

If I'm honest, Belgium and Croatia are probably the likeliest candidates on paper. But my heart says that Tite's Brazil is the best coached team and that will pay dividends when the chips are down.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Remiel

I feel like Brazil certainly has the potential.  The problem is they always tend to get reckless, preferring the artistic, always-on-the-attack South American style of play over the gritty and unexciting but effective get-ahead-and-lock-it-down European style.

Formless

The way I see it, the Semi-finals will end up like so:

France vs Belgium

Croatia vs Sweden

While I voted Belgium, I still think the other three teams have as good a chance in winning.

Still, this World Cup is full of surprises, so anything could happen.

Remiel

My wildly inaccurate prediction is that Spain knocks out Croatia in a surprise upset and goes on to defeat England and then France to take it all.

Meanwhile, Brazil defeats England for Third Place.

Aiden

I saw this one one of my discords the other day, I know its days old, but still makes me chuckle.

The Green One

Quote from: Aiden on June 29, 2018, 11:26:10 AM

I saw this one one of my discords the other day, I know its days old, but still makes me chuckle.
LOL

I really don't know who to vote for... I should vote for either France or Spain, but I feel like is going to be incredibly unpredictable.

Not available for new stories

mia h

Hmm Quarter Finals :
Portugal v France
Brazil v Belgium
Spain v Croatia
Sweden V England

Semi's
France v Brazil
Spain v England

Final
Brazil v Spain
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Deamonbane

Fantastic game sees Argentina out in a 4x3 win for France. Mbappe is a beast.

The Green One

It was a great game, I cursed and cheered too many times... Can't be good for my health xD

And tomorrow... Spain... I don't know if I'll survive :P

Not available for new stories

Formless

The best game so far. France’s second goal was amazing!

Amelita

I missed the game  :'(

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Nico

Quote from: Formless on June 30, 2018, 12:27:20 PM
The best game so far. France’s second goal was amazing!

Agreed. It was an incredible game.

Deamonbane

Uruguay advances with two goals by Cavani. Pepe managed to score for the Portuguese.

Remiel

Yeah, both games today were good.  But yeah, I'd say the better side won in each case--proof that one man does not a national team make.