Warmachine and Hordes: Interest Check

Started by Vaulera, June 26, 2014, 12:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaulera

Hello ladies and gentlemen of Elliquiy! Those who know me, know that most of my ventures into group roleplaying have tragically short lives, but usually a shorter, more action intensive plot lines. For those who don't, what I said should sum up my previous tries at running a group roleplay. This being said! I recently got back into hordes (after a long hiatus,) and I'm having a lot of fun making lists and reading the fluff behind the universe. This is an interest check for anyone who likes the warmachine/hordes universe. Generally it becomes difficult to run large army roleplays, so the way I would engineer this would be one of two different character plays. First: Each person plays a warcaster heading a small (or large) war-band consisting of faction units (and possibly some mercenaries or minions,) named and historied by the player. Second choice being we engineer one big group or faction, or two large factions that have clashes with different groups or eachother. Personally, the first appeals to me, but this is an interest check, so we'll see how it goes. If you're interested or have any ideas, please post them below.

godfang

Hi, nice to see another iron kingdom player around.

Why not play as mercenaries? That way you can play as any solos/warcasters from the Four Star Syndicate as they try to scrounge up money for their own purposes. You can be from any nations this way and do not have to play a large army.

Otherwise i vote Khadoran game

Vaulera

Ah! Perhaps I rambled a little too much. Rather than just play as a single faction (unless you choose the second option, wherein we all play in the same battlegroup,) everyone would play a warcaster from whichever faction they choose.

Dhi

Very interested! The idea of an Iron Kingdoms game has been kicked around here a few times before, and led to two character ideas I've yet to have a place for. Circle Orboros and Khador are my factions, though the characters were designed with a IKRPG-type mercenary band in mind, with motivations to leave their home regions.

Five Fingers seems to be the fan favorite for these kind of mercenary games. As a location I think it lends itself well to a group game here on E, since it's a pretty seedy place. I have the newer Urban Adventure book which gives a little info on Five Fingers, and picked up the original IK Five Fingers book the last time an IKRPG game was being discussed- haven't really read much of it yet, though.

I think, if we were to go with Five Fingers, I could also draw some inspiration from Lion's Arch from GW2 and the city of Armada from The Scar.

Personally, I am less interested in acting out warfare and more interested in character interaction.

Crash

I would be interested in a Five Fingers game, but not one that revolves around war. I like to take one or two characters and develop them in the setting. 

I would love to make a Noir-ish Investigator/Gun Mage or a Trollblood Barkeep or something to that effect.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Vaulera

Okay, yeah, I can see a game revolving around character interaction for sure, but I'm not terribly familiar with the Five Fingers setting, but if it gives motivations strong enough for characters to leave their own factions, I'd be all good with that. I know Lion's Arch from GW2, but I'm not familiar with the city of Armada. I'd love for a smaller scale game just as much, but again, I'd need to be more familiar.

Chaeronea

Dammit, I'm trying to avoid group roleplays.....

Seriously, I've recently gotten into Warmachine and have started a Cygnar army, and have been reading the background fluff for both the Warmachine books and the old Iron Kingdoms d20 setting. If we go with the first option of playing warcasters and warbands of different factions I want to put my hand up for me wearing the Cygnus on my sleeve - possibly I'd be playing a warcaster who is part of the Church of Morrow, like Constance Blaize in 'Warmachine: Wrath'.  If we're going solo roleplay, however, I'd probably play a Lhaelese restance fighter who was a former member of the Order of the Amethyst Rose.