News:

Main Menu

A Delicious Gratin

Started by CassandraNova, August 10, 2008, 05:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CassandraNova

I'd like to make a post about what I had for dinner, if that's allowed.  I was experimenting in the kitchen, and came up with something very delicious!

I may be using the word "Gratin" a bit loosely in this case, but I made something for dinner tonight that was absolutely delicious as a main course.  I'm sure some of my omnivorous friends would enjoy it as a side, but here's the skinny:

I sliced a white onion into thin slices, and cooked it over a medium heat along with some pressed garlic and salt and pepper.  After the onions had caramelized, after about 20 minutes, I layered them at the bottom of a casserole dish that I had oiled.

On top of the layer of onions I arranged my vegetables, in layers.  First came some russet potatoes, sliced thin.  Next the golden squash, and lastly then the green squash.  After I layered the pan with the vegetables, I sprinkled some Parmesan cheese and more S&P over them.  Finally, I crowned the gratin with thickly chopped spring onions, a can of diced tomatoes, and some dried Italian herbs.

Baked for an hour at 375, and in the last five minutes, we sprinkled some grated cheddar on top of it.  It was delicious!

Sherona

THis is one of my favorite dishes to make! though I skip on the tomatoes (ny daughter is going through a phase where she wont eat anything red...yeah...)

It is wonderful :D

CassandraNova

I just love eating fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables, especially when I've picked them myself.  I get that whole, "Down on the farm" kind of feeling.  I just wished I'd remembered the tomatoes before the last minute, or the entire thing would have been fresh.

Sherona

Indeed! There is something about eating something you grew iwth your own hand.

I do a smallish garden, cucumbers, watermelons, canteloup, tomatoes, bell peppers, and last year we got frisky and planted green beans :D

Greenthorn

There is a topic about recipes already *grins*

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16324.0

Might want to add this there...

CassandraNova

Ahh, wonderful.  I must have missed it.

Greenthorn

Quote from: CassandraNova on August 10, 2008, 06:34:01 PM
Ahh, wonderful.  I must have missed it.

Yeah it got buried *laughs* But please do post there! I love stealing other's recipes *laughs*

Trieste

... allergic to garlic...  :'(

Wonder how it'd taste without it... or just with garlic powder. *ponder*

Caity

Mmm.. this does sound good.

But I've never heard of green squash? 

CassandraNova

You might know it better as zucchini squash.

Caity

Le RandomBloke

My mother makes some delicious meals, and this one sounds pretty simular, of course with a few things different, plus I don't really know jack shit about cooking so.. yea.

But dang, it sounds delicious! <3

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."