Exalted 2ed: The West [NC-H/E]: RECRUITING NEW PLAYERS

Started by Blaze, April 15, 2009, 11:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

The game is set in the Wavecrest Archipelago, a three-island group that forms the largest single Western state in Creation. Over 250,000 people live there... you can see the rest in the setting. Wavecrest is a satrapy of the Realm, so Anathema are unwelcome there.
You all start as Anathema or their friends, so keep that in mind.

Actually, you are welcome to play a Solar or Lunar. If you want to play Infernals or Abyssals, contact me... and if you want Sidereals, you'll have to be very persuasive. If you want to play as Dragon-Blooded, take care to at least have the ability to use Celestial martial arts, and have a reason why you are traveling with Anathema. It's your character, but he or she must have a way to participate in the game. Either way, you start with basic characters and an extra 20 XP.

All the characters begin in Halcyon, on the north of Abalone.

Beautiful beaches, the vast ocean, a variety of drugs and alcohols and a warm climate to boot! The perfect place, except... the vicious pirates of the Lintha family, the Silver Prince, the horrible see monsters and the ever-hungry Fair Folk and sea demons. Oh, did I mention there are volcanoes there? Which means, of course, volcano gods. These can be a nasty bunch. And now they are even nastier, because they've got a bunch of Immaculates pissing them off...
Like many other places, the Celestial Exalted have to deal with the Wyld Hunt, and lay low. But now...
There is something else, trying to destroy the Celestials. Maybe just a few of them, maybe all of them, maybe all including the Dragon-blooded. This threat is much bigger than anything the local Celestials have seen before.
It's your choice to stay and face them or run for your lives. Just don't divide the group in two.
Remember when it rained.
I felt the ground and looked up high
And called your name.
Ohhhhhh Remember when it rained.
In the darkness I remain.

ONS/OFFS

Creeper

Fuck yeah, Exalted! Blaze, you are 16 kinds of awesome for running this!

I'm thinking Solar. I'm thinking Dawn Caste. I'm thinking Archery Charms. I'm thinking fuel bolt launcher.

That's right! The all singing, all dancing, Bazooka master of war!
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Blaze

Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Creeper

Possibly. Theoretically. Maybe.

Yes.

:-)

Blaze

Yeah, thought so!
Have in mind you can upgrade a combo by paying the difference in the price. That is a house rule I'm using.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Corinthi

I've never played Exalted, but I picked up the core when it was free on Drivethru. How about an Eclipse Merchant Prince/Privateer? A hard carousing pirate captain to battle the other pirates?

That's right, Sail & Socialize Charms, with a couple of survival attack/defense charms. I know it's a crazy idea, but I think it'd be fun.

Creeper

Can my character man your ship's Crows Nest? He needs somewhere where he can shout and scream and shoot stuff.

Paladin

Hmm I'm thinking Dawn cast with a pair of blades or Maybe an Abyssal with a apair of blades if its workable.

Elohim

I would like to play an infernal,  I'm thinking probably a scourge or a malefactor.

The Great Triangle

Here's my character:   :-)

Bradeton Elsewhere, the Bard maestro of the sixteen seas of creation.

Background: B. Elsewhere, as he signs his plays, is an itinerant playwright of the west, who sails the seas in his glorious galleon, the Cruciger.  He sails a regular route along the island nations of the archipeligos, casting himself as a "Pirate of Peace;" performing plays that change the course of entire nations, or simply earn frighteningly large box office receipts in their opening day.  He has led revolutions with his pipe clenched between his teeth and his unerring accuracy with the powerbow stirring the people to take charge for themselves, or use a more amusing form of monarchy. 

Physically, Elsewhere is a fairly unimposing guy, with short brown hair and average features, notable only for his goatee and alarmingly expensive clothing.  In person, he as actually a rather quiet man, constantly smoking his beloved hash in a pipe, and courting the companionship of good pretty boys with extravagant love letters, known to reduce their readers to tears before even sinking into Bradeton's arms.

Motivation: To bring peace and harmony to the world.

Anima: A whirling blue wave of incredibly beautiful nonsense words

Strength: 2     Charisma: 5        Intellegence: 3
Dexterity: 5    Manipulation: 4    Wits:  2
Stamina: 2    Appearance: 2       Perception 2

Favored Skills:

Integrity: 3
Performance: 4 (2bp) (Acting +2)
Presence: 1
Resistance: 1
Survival: 0
Sail: 2
Craft(Air): 2
Archery: 5 (3.5bp) (Powerbows +3)
Linguistics: 4 (1bp)
Stealth: 2 (Disguise +1) (.5bp)

Unfavored:
Athletics 1
Dodge 4 (2bp)
Socialize 3
Awareness 1

Charms:

Shadow Over Water
Seven Shadows Evasion (compassion flaw, can only be used in the presence of an intimacy)
Sagacious Reading of Intent
First Linguistics Excellency
Letter within a letter technique
Twisted Words Technique
First Archery Excellency
Essence Arrow Attack (dazzling flare)
Second Performance Excellency
Heart Compelling Method 

Combos:

Brilliant Solar Flare Arrow Methodology (6+ motes, 1 willpower)

Seven Shadows Evasion + First Archery Excellency + Essence Arrow Attack (6xp)

The Play's the Thing (20+ motes, 2 willpower)

Second Performance Excellency + First Linguistics Excellency + Heart Compelling Method + Letter Within a Letter Technique + Twisted Words Technique (14xp)

(A breif explanation; this charm is used to enhance the writing of a play, when first performed, the play can affect its audience with heart compelling method, and affect a chosen group with letter within a letter technique, which gets exposed to unnatural mental influence via twisted words technique, thereby catching the conscience of the king.)

Backgrounds:

Artifact 3 (Orichalcum Long Powerbow)
Resources 4 (Fine items: The Cruciger, Perfect Thesaurus (+2 to performance rolls to write plays), Exceptional clothing (+2 to presence rolls to make a first impression), Fine Boots (+1 accuracy) (3bp)
Followers 2 (Troupe of Actors) (2bp)
Artifact 1 (Orichalcum Chain Shirt) (1bp)

Virtues:

Compassion 4
Conviction 3
Temprence 1
Valor 1

Willpower: 7

Virtue Flaw: Heart of Tears

Intimacies: 
Peace  3
The theater 3
Pretty boys 3
Hash 3

Essence: 2

Personal Essence: 13
Peripheral Essence: 36
Commited Essence: 8

Combat Information:

Dodge DV: 6
Parry DV: -
Soak: 8L/7B (Chain shirt 7L/5)
Hardness: 3L/3B
Dodge MDV: 6
Parry MDV: 3
Health Levels: 1x-0 2x-1 2x-2 1x I 2x Dying
Attack: Orichalcum Powerbow; Speed 6, Accuracy 15, Damage 6L (P), Rate 3, Range 400 yards

Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Creeper

Hmm, might go for a lunar Sorceress instead... *thinks*

Corinthi

Hmmm, the ship captain niche has been filled, so I'll need to come up with something else. *scratches chin* I'm still interested, I just need to brainstorm.

The Great Triangle

My character is really more of a ship's cheif investor than an actual captain.  He's a persuader, not a leader.  An eclipse caste captain with a bunch of sail charms would fit in fine, especially if someone wanted to be the appointed captain of the Cruciger  (It would certainly save you on resources!)  And it really would be kinky to load up the ship with a few first age weapons...  Finally, my character can afford to crew his ship with hired hands, but a crew of followers (followers 3 would be ideal) would be signifigantly more loyal and versitile.  :-) 

In addition to a captain, I'm also looking for a master at arms, to take care of any nasty military actions my ship gets into. 

As for the Cruciger itself, my vision for the ship is a broad hulled, six decked galleon, about 100 feet in length, and painted a festive pattern of red and blue, with a crew of about 100, and passenger space for 200 more, its cargo space converted into a massive theater, with a retractable roof for all weather conditions.  The remaining cargo space (aside from what is neccesary to provision the ship) is essentially a vault for Bradeton's treasure, although the ship can have other gun decks.

Finally, a note on my character's politics/religion.  Unlike most solars, my character is a firm believer in the immaculate way... except for that little thing about the solars being anathema.  He preaches (very persuasively) a philosophy of "Anathema is as anathema does."  And spreads his philosophy to all who will listen.  Even demons and the so called "creatures of darkness" deserve to be evaaluated as individuals, and not judged for the accident of their birth.  (though it is odd that certain powers destroy their forms... and pitiable.)  Spiritually, his goal is not to overthrow the existing religious order, but bring about a reformation, based on peace and understanding.  Which is not to say that when he observes evil he'll stand idly by.  The bard maestro has a great contempt for "atheists"; those who pray selfishly to gods as an exchange for services, instead of properly giving thanks to the celestial beauracracy, and even worse, those who don't honor or pray to any God at all.  However, even fowler than the atheists are Gods who no longer follow their place in the order of creation, and force people to worship them, or else.  Monsters that come from beyond the order of creation and seek its destruction are similarly worthy of destruction with extreme prejiduce.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Creeper

Blaze

Quote from: Corinthi on April 15, 2009, 03:10:19 PM
I've never played Exalted, but I picked up the core when it was free on Drivethru. How about an Eclipse Merchant Prince/Privateer? A hard carousing pirate captain to battle the other pirates?

That's right, Sail & Socialize Charms, with a couple of survival attack/defense charms. I know it's a crazy idea, but I think it'd be fun.

It's fun, you'll see   :-)
An Eclipse is great for the West, but I recommend you're favorite skill be Martial Arts/Melee.

Quote from: Paladin on April 15, 2009, 03:45:32 PM
Hmm I'm thinking Dawn cast with a pair of blades or Maybe an Abyssal with a apair of blades if its workable.

Blades are workable in both cases. Have you thought of a Caste if you choose the Abyssal variant?

Quote from: Seraph on April 15, 2009, 04:30:29 PM
I would like to play an infernal,  I'm thinking probably a scourge or a malefactor.

This will be interesting!  ;)

Quote from: Creeper on April 15, 2009, 06:29:54 PM
Hmm, might go for a lunar Sorceress instead... *thinks*

So many tempting things to play...

Quote from: Creeper on April 15, 2009, 11:05:41 PM
Hmm, will we be using the Lunars charm writer's fixes and creation rules for this game?

http://fixalted.bazzalisk.org/index.php?title=Manual_of_Exalted_Power:_Lunars#Chapter_Five:_Charms_and_Shapeshifting

We will be using all Manuals of Exalted Power  ;) Otherwise I don't see how you can create a character other then Solar.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Creeper

Quote from: Blaze on April 16, 2009, 01:15:09 AM

We will be using all Manuals of Exalted Power  ;) Otherwise I don't see how you can create a character other then Solar.

I meant could I use the the slightly different character generation rules that the charm writer operated under when he was writing the Lunar charms. :p

more direct link: http://fixalted.bazzalisk.org/index.php?title=Manual_of_Exalted_Power:_Lunars#Chapter_Five:_Charms_and_Shapeshifting

Muse

Lord's gods and minor dieties!!!! 

*The dark elf throws himself to his knees before Blaze.* 

You are a saint!!!!!!!!!!! 

May I please play? 

*Offers resources 5 in burnt insence, another resources 5 in dancing boys, another resources 5 in dancing girls, and a black forest cake.* 

Please? 

Be right back. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Krule

An exalted game.. that's a wonderful idea, I'd be very interested in playing.

As to caste:  Night..

And here's the Concept: Bounty Hunter on the Seas.. From Seahome, he is one of the People of the Sea, and one who was trained by the Emissaries of Perfect Water, as a bounty hunter to hunt the Fair Folk of the west, as an assassin to elemental wyld shamans, and to eliminate others who had been suborned by the Fair Folk.  It was in the course of this task, he hunted down his target and found himself not to far from Halcyon, as he made his strike, to kill the Fair Folk, he exalted, and the US gave him the mission of 'cleansing the taint and corruption from the world'.  A Night caste, he has come ashore here, and has taken care to hide both his exalted nature, and his nature as one of the People of the Sea.

Blaze

Quote from: Muse on April 16, 2009, 05:31:16 AM
Lord's gods and minor dieties!!!! 

*The dark elf throws himself to his knees before Blaze.* 

You are a saint!!!!!!!!!!! 

May I please play? 

*Offers resources 5 in burnt insence, another resources 5 in dancing boys, another resources 5 in dancing girls, and a black forest cake.* 

Please? 

Be right back.

I'm no saint, if you join the game you'll learn that fast. And I don't take bribes, but I'll take these  ;)
Think of a concept and an exaltation and will talk.

Quote from: Krule on April 16, 2009, 05:59:42 AM
An exalted game.. that's a wonderful idea, I'd be very interested in playing.

As to caste:  Night..

And here's the Concept: Bounty Hunter on the Seas.. From Seahome, he is one of the People of the Sea, and one who was trained by the Emissaries of Perfect Water, as a bounty hunter to hunt the Fair Folk of the west, as an assassin to elemental wyld shamans, and to eliminate others who had been suborned by the Fair Folk.  It was in the course of this task, he hunted down his target and found himself not to far from Halcyon, as he made his strike, to kill the Fair Folk, he exalted, and the US gave him the mission of 'cleansing the taint and corruption from the world'.  A Night caste, he has come ashore here, and has taken care to hide both his exalted nature, and his nature as one of the People of the Sea.

Let me get this straight - you want to be a neuly exalted Solar?!
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Krule

Actually, that's just the concept I have shaped at the moment, I want someone extremely capable of hiding his nature, and who is a natural in the west.. I'm thinking he'll have a serious of tatoos around where his gills are, to make them appear as decoration, rather then a part of him, as they are.  I'm also thinking he'll know several stealth and dodge charms...

HairyHeretic

I wouldn't mind having a crack at this, if there's still room.

I'm curious as to how you figure on having so many different strains of Exalted in the one setting though, the Infernals especially. I think it'd be easier to have one of the Fair Folk worked in around the group.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Creeper

My character is mostly done, just need to know if that's a yes or a no to the question in my previous post.

Elohim

Actually I've found Infernals can work well in a group,  as long as the other exalted don't have a problem with them.  They are capable of being twistedly heroic,  particularly if its defending creation against a threat that could possibly take creation before the yozi's can.  On the other hand,  if people think it will be a problem I'll happily switch to either a Solar or Lunar,  if other players/st have a possible.

Blaze

Quote from: Creeper on April 16, 2009, 07:22:04 PM
My character is mostly done, just need to know if that's a yes or a no to the question in my previous post.
And the answer is no. I'm going to use the rules as written.
You can post your character, though.

QuoteActually I've found Infernals can work well in a group,  as long as the other exalted don't have a problem with them.  They are capable of being twistedly heroic,  particularly if its defending creation against a threat that could possibly take creation before the yozi's can.  On the other hand,  if people think it will be a problem I'll happily switch to either a Solar or Lunar,  if other players/st have a possible.
You are aware that there is a chance the other characters might turn on you at one point, right?
Otherwise, if you have a good enough reason to be there with them, you can play an Infernal.

QuoteI wouldn't mind having a crack at this, if there's still room.

I'm curious as to how you figure on having so many different strains of Exalted in the one setting though, the Infernals especially. I think it'd be easier to have one of the Fair Folk worked in around the group.

Go ahead, create a character!

So far, we have only Solars and Lunars ready. When I see the characters in the end, I'll think of something.

QuoteActually, that's just the concept I have shaped at the moment, I want someone extremely capable of hiding his nature, and who is a natural in the west.. I'm thinking he'll have a serious of tatoos around where his gills are, to make them appear as decoration, rather then a part of him, as they are.  I'm also thinking he'll know several stealth and dodge charms...

Ok, just don't forget to balance out your mutations, or buy them with bonus points.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Seraph on April 16, 2009, 08:31:45 PM
Actually I've found Infernals can work well in a group,  as long as the other exalted don't have a problem with them.  They are capable of being twistedly heroic,  particularly if its defending creation against a threat that could possibly take creation before the yozi's can.  On the other hand,  if people think it will be a problem I'll happily switch to either a Solar or Lunar,  if other players/st have a possible.

My concern would be that the motivation of solars and (admittedly what little I've read of) the infernals would have them entirely at cross purposes. It seems inevitable that they'd end up killing each other.

Now, I will freely admit I've only skimmed the Infernals book so far, but I'm just going on the background of Exalted that I know here.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.