Adventurers Wanted! The Games must go on! (D&D 5e)

Started by Inerrant Lust, March 02, 2015, 09:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laughing Hyena

How about a stipperific (for the ladies gaze) male half-elf with a big frigging claymore?

DomJoe

I know there's alot of interest for this RP already, but I'm throwing my hat into here as well. Maybe a monk character who needs to get quick coin in order to keep her dojo in business, possibly to advertise it a bit better as well.

Off topic: Laughing Hyena, did you use to go to the Legend of Krystal forums? I'm certain I've seen the same user name and profile pic there as well.

Inerrant Lust

A long time ago, I made an Elliuki page. I have since culled a lot from it and updated it to 5e... but expect some of the lore to be different. Essentially, there is the addition of a new 'player race' that is the greenskins. They foresaw the Games occurring and decided to establish themselves as 'people' and not just bags of loot/XP. As a result, they are one of the biggest nations around- a confederation of races including goblins, orcs, half-orcs, hobgoblins, giants, trolls, wargs, ect. They are also the most spiritual people in the world, their society revolving around priestesses and the paladins who protect them.

Clerics and Paladins exist in other cultures, but there has been a steady decline in the active worship of Gods since Gaming has become a thing...  ::)

The Pantheon is not anything established, but you can assume a God exists for most every domain. Feel free to home-brew what you'd like.

Also, I should note... teleportation and plane-shifting magic is extremely and unusually difficult to learn. Most of them are impossible to learn or cast except for the following; Arcane Gate, Blink, Contact Other Plane, Demiplane, Planar Ally and Planar Binding (Fiends only), Transport via plants, Word of Recall.

Teleport still functions, but you are considered three steps less 'familiar' with the location you are teleporting to. IE; Going to a permanent teleportation circle is 'on target' on a roll of 54-100, while teleporting to an area you have seen casually will, at best, end up in a similar area on a roll of 51-100. You cannot teleport to an area you have seen once or been given a description of.

This is why there is a business for new adventurers, as travelling long distances is in fact quite a journey by itself.

Also, the primary method of watching the games is via a Scrying spell. It's been attuned to various items that are able to hone in on your 'signal' and broadcast them on huge three dimensional projectors that are in the center of large amphitheater-like structures. Many variations of the spell exist, allowing for a variety of angles and shots and methods of viewing.

For now, feel free to consider the starting level as 1. I might go higher... but I will probably do away with XP entirely and just award a level after every encounter.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  Looking through that Elluiki page, it could be interesting to make Yuffi as a Hobling...

Anybody have any suggestions for a background that might fit the 'barmaid-turned-adventurer' concept I've got going for her?  The closest one I can think of is Urchin, but that one doesn't quite fit right. ^^;

Inerrant Lust

Entertainer could certainly work. Also, shame on you for tempting me with a halfling. ;)

How could I resist, when exploring size difference/contrast is one of my favorite kinks?  ::)

Edit: Also, it's been a few generations since the greenskins had begun making determined efforts to 'civilize' themselves. Their culture is very renaissance italy-esque. Expect a lot of flair and pomp and ceremony.. but many of them are just a brutal as they were before, except super elegant about it. And no more charisma penalties. They've cleaned up a bit and can be considered more aesthetically pleasing to look at. Their cave-dwelling cousins to the east are probably still gap-toothed, chewed up, or diseased... but those that have experienced the increase in standard of living provided by a permanent agrarian lifestyle....

And more like or or this.

Also, totally unrelated... but this...

ExisD

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 04, 2015, 12:07:36 AM
Hmm.  Looking through that Elluiki page, it could be interesting to make Yuffi as a Hobling...

Anybody have any suggestions for a background that might fit the 'barmaid-turned-adventurer' concept I've got going for her?  The closest one I can think of is Urchin, but that one doesn't quite fit right. ^^;

Umm, folk hero would be easily justified. The hero part coming in if she took part in bar brawls to help people out.

Entertainer could work if she also did dancing, not necessarily sexy dancing, or music to entertain people during slow nights.

Kunoichi

Mechanically, the Folk Hero background is more of a 'farmer or blacksmith's apprentice becomes hero' type of deal, though Entertainer could certainly work.  That one wouldn't quite be a perfect fit either, but I suppose it's a better fit overall. ^^;

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on March 04, 2015, 12:15:44 AM
Also, shame on you for tempting me with a halfling. ;)

How could I resist, when exploring size difference/contrast is one of my favorite kinks?  ::)

Technically she'll be half-goblin here, but I will admit that the possibilities for size difference/contrast are part of why I picked her out to play in the first place. ;)

Inerrant Lust

Well, the start of the chapter has rules for changing backgrounds around so I would say feel free to go nuts with it. ;)

When you get down to it, you're all entertainers, really...

Kunoichi

Hmm...  Perhaps I could replace the musical instrument proficiency with proficiency in cook's utensils?  I could also replace the musical instrument the background gives me with those, and replace the By Popular Demand feature with Rustic Hospitality, from the Folk Hero background.  After those few changes, the resulting background would be pretty much perfect for my character. ^^

Edit: Well, if the above changes get approved, then Yuffi is ready to go.

Edit2: Also, if anyone is having trouble coming up with a character concept for this game, might I bring up a potentially interesting suggestion?

I'd love to see someone play as a nudist Monk in a game like this one. :P

Laughing Hyena

So orc are a bit more civilized now? It gives me an idea for a swashbuckling orc. Cheesy as it is something about a snarky orc baiting his opponents into advantages just sounds awesome.

Kunoichi

That sounds like a Dexterity-based Fighter who takes on the Battlemaster archetype. ^^ Pick up maneuvers like Goading Attack, Disarming Attack, Parry, Riposte...  Though, it would also work for a Strength-based Fighter if you're willing to wear heavier armor.

Rhaegar14

Oooh. I see tons of interest already, but this looks fun. Plus, I've had a build idea floating around my head. PLUS plus, I've been trying to roleplay more female characters lately.

ExisD, did you have any more specific ideas for your Warlock? I was thinking something along similar lines. While her background would be different ENOUGH, it would be no fun if we were playing mechanically the same character, and you did beat me to the punch on interest.

My idea was for a Fiend Pact Bladelock, with a liiiiiittle bit of Fighter thrown in for proficiencies (though it's incorporated into the fluff). Fluff wise, she had always wanted to participate in the games, but never got really far as a low-level Fighter. One day she encountered an imp during a Game, which offered to negotiate a Pact between her and its master in exchange for its freedom. Knowing that the extra magical power could help her go far in the Games and take her career to the next level, she eagerly accepted. Personality-wise, she's charismatic and flamboyant, very dedicated to putting on a good show. Racially I was ALSO gonna roll Half-Elf, but variant Human (or maybe something else, I'd have to poke through PHB) will do fine too.

Mechanically, she's supposed to hit things with her greatsword and live basically forever with temporary hit points from the Fiendish Vigor invocation and Dark One's Blessing feature (plus a good chunk of extra toughness from the Fighter dip). Spell selection would emphasize buffs and utility, maybe with some of the Fiend spells' blasting thrown in for AoE and ranged combat.

EDIT: I also have the beginnings of an idea for a Ranger character if the above doesn't work, a pragmatic companion for Kunoichi's Yuffi that always gets dragged into trouble by her friend.
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

Etherealgirl

So why level do we start off at and how do you want character submissions?

ExisD

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on March 04, 2015, 02:29:22 AM
Oooh. I see tons of interest already, but this looks fun. Plus, I've had a build idea floating around my head. PLUS plus, I've been trying to roleplay more female characters lately.

ExisD, did you have any more specific ideas for your Warlock? I was thinking something along similar lines. While her background would be different ENOUGH, it would be no fun if we were playing mechanically the same character, and you did beat me to the punch on interest.

My idea was for a Fiend Pact Bladelock, with a liiiiiittle bit of Fighter thrown in for proficiencies (though it's incorporated into the fluff). Fluff wise, she had always wanted to participate in the games, but never got really far as a low-level Fighter. One day she encountered an imp during a Game, which offered to negotiate a Pact between her and its master in exchange for its freedom. Knowing that the extra magical power could help her go far in the Games and take her career to the next level, she eagerly accepted. Personality-wise, she's charismatic and flamboyant, very dedicated to putting on a good show. Racially I was ALSO gonna roll Half-Elf, but variant Human (or maybe something else, I'd have to poke through PHB) will do fine too.

Mechanically, she's supposed to hit things with her greatsword and live basically forever with temporary hit points from the Fiendish Vigor invocation and Dark One's Blessing feature (plus a good chunk of extra toughness from the Fighter dip). Spell selection would emphasize buffs and utility, maybe with some of the Fiend spells' blasting thrown in for AoE and ranged combat.

EDIT: I also have the beginnings of an idea for a Ranger character if the above doesn't work, a pragmatic companion for Kunoichi's Yuffi that always gets dragged into trouble by her friend.

I had been thinking bladelock as well, but a 'refined noble' girl's take on combat. As a fey pact a shimmering rapier and beguiling enchantments used in conjunction with a burst of rainbows are her weapons. High dex and con with a spell focus on debuffs and save or suck/save or loses.

I think we'd almost play like different classes considering the different ideas.

Chulanowa

So, how are attributes being done, rolling, point buy...?

Autocad

I would like to express interest with a mahou shoujo, complete with transformation sequences, cute catchphrases, an animal-like mentor/mascot/alien mastermind energy company employee, overpowered magic beams of friendship, the works.

Mechanics wise, probably either a warlock (patron: Great Old One) to round out the warlock trio or a sorcerer.

DomJoe

Quote from: Autocad on March 04, 2015, 10:26:18 AM
I would like to express interest with a mahou shoujo, complete with transformation sequences, cute catchphrases, an animal-like mentor/mascot/alien mastermind energy company employee, overpowered magic beams of friendship, the works.

Mechanics wise, probably either a warlock (patron: Great Old One) to round out the warlock trio or a sorcerer.

Too legit for words, especially the patron... (shudders)

If it starts tagging along on adventures, don't be surprised if my character punches it in the face. Repeatedly.

Inerrant Lust

Point Buy of course.

How about... 30.

I will choose the group or groups based on party dynamics and who I feel would work well together. If you have particular requests, then by all means, request them. No one is guaranteed a spot, as I still am on the fence about whether or not I can manage two or more large groups. It will really depend on the characters.

I am considering starting with a few solo or duet adventures that will bring everyone to second level as a bit of a prologue to the time when the party is brought together. Will probably serve as foreshadowing some things or just building up to the first 'quest' :P

Kunoichi

Hmm, if only the 5e point buy rules allowed you to cap out at 16, rather than 15...  Ah well.

CeruleanSerenity

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 04, 2015, 01:13:10 AM
Edit2: Also, if anyone is having trouble coming up with a character concept for this game, might I bring up a potentially interesting suggestion?

I'd love to see someone play as a nudist Monk in a game like this one. :P
Oh, fine... if you're going to tempt me like that...

I was pretty certain I was going to play a cleric, but I guess I'll have to add this to the list of ideas I'm considering. But I'll figure something out when I sit down and make a character properly...

(Should we go ahead with that now?)

Chulanowa

Also, are there options for like, monster races? beyond orcs / goblins? -Eyeballing my folder o' centaurs-

Etherealgirl

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on March 04, 2015, 01:20:53 PM
Point Buy of course.

How about... 30.

I will choose the group or groups based on party dynamics and who I feel would work well together. If you have particular requests, then by all means, request them. No one is guaranteed a spot, as I still am on the fence about whether or not I can manage two or more large groups. It will really depend on the characters.

I am considering starting with a few solo or duet adventures that will bring everyone to second level as a bit of a prologue to the time when the party is brought together. Will probably serve as foreshadowing some things or just building up to the first 'quest' :P

How do you want us to send the character sheets?

DomJoe

I'm just about ready to send in my submission, just waiting for the good to go. I think I'll be covering the naked (wood elf) monk idea that's been pitched in this thread, if people don't mind that. :P

AndyZ

There's enough people jumping on this that I'll withdraw unless two games open up.  I tend to feel bad if there's too limited of space.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Etherealgirl

Dunno about monk, but I did mention naked elf druid.