Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of

Started by PixelatedPixie, August 06, 2018, 05:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PixelatedPixie

I would like to give this system a try, since I have been collecting the books and have never gotten to actually use it.  I don't have any real preference on group size (even solo would be fine) or plot, though I would like at least the potential for non-con and smut at times (not necessarily as a focus).

I don't suppose anyone would be up for GMing it?

Chanticleer

I've had the core book for this for a while, but not been able to get much local interest.

I'd like to join as well, if a GM can be found.
My current O/os (need work)

Thorne

I .. think we have this book?
I'd be interested as well, but I'm not familiar enough with the system to run it.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

helvorn

I don't have the rule book but know enough about the setting to enjoy it.  I always loved Red Sonja.

tormentedmale

I would be up for running something for you all if you're interested. This would be my first time GM'ing this system (I'm in several games as a player). I am not an expert on Robert E Howard's works - most of what I know comes from the material published by Modiphius and, before that, Mongoose, so while I will make every effort to accurately follow published canon there may be occasions where I may inadvertently stray from that (hopefully in the interests of telling a good story). Pacing would be relaxed - I'll be offline for two weeks at the start of September so in all likelihood it will probably be after then before IC posting could start. Once we were up and running I would be looking for one to two posts a week.

The game would be in the Extreme section and would have a degree of structured plot, at least at the beginning. All PC's would start as slaves being offered for sale in a slave market in southern Hyboria. Whether you have only been enslaved the day before or have been a slave for some time would be up to each individual. Ongoing themes would include (but are not limited to) sex, violence, and various non con situations (up to and including rape and torture) and dark themes as the characters battle dark and twisted forces and unspeakable abominations. in terms of plot vs smut I'd hope for a ratio of somewhere around 70/30 (in favour of plot).

In depth familiarity with the system is not required - I'll happily work with you but I would strongly suggest you get the free quickstart available here to give you a basic familiarity with the rule set.

https://www.modiphius.net/products/robert-e-howards-conan-adventures-in-an-age-undreamed-of-quickstart

All characters would be 18+ and human (I'm not sure there really are non human options in this genre). All character types are available except Sorcerers and similar. Characters may be of any sexual orientation. Writer gender and character gender need not be the same.  Character images should be real pictures, not art, magna, etc. Characters will not start the game with any gear - they will be in shackles and wearing rags (or naked). 

The following sources would be available for character generation

•   Conan - Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of Core Book
•   Conan the Thief Sourcebook
•   Conan the Barbarian Sourcebook
•   Conan the Mercenary Sourcebook
•   Conan the Pirate Sourcebook

A really useful online character generator is available here (I highly recommend it)

https://conan.modiphiusapps.hostinguk.org/

At this stage this is primarily an Interest Check, so if it is something that you think you would be interested in let me know, and of course if you have any queries feel free to ask and I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

tm

Thorne

Well. . that probably counts me out. I had a character for that setting, but with your restrictions, won't work.
Eh, maybe some other time. :/

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

tormentedmale

18+ and human are non negotiable.

I'm open to discussion on anything else...

Thorne

Hrm.. well. I need to look at the book for specifics, but the rough was 'last of a cursed line, trying to lift the curse'. The character is human enough; she has magic she's not sure how to use, and a horrible curse that's turned all the men of her line … into something. The rumour is 'monster'. She figures 'dead'.

Getting caught by slavers is probably one of the expected side effects of being a city girl blundering about in the big world.

If that's not a problem, I'll track down the book and see how to actually build that.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

helvorn

tormentedmale,

I am absolutely interested although the system is unfamiliar.  I'm sure I can muddle through it.

I downloaded the quick start guide and can start looking at characters.  Do you want us to post an idea here?

My thought would be a Brythunian woman.  She's a dancer and a thief who was captured by rivals and sold to slavers.

tormentedmale

@Thorne,
I think that would work in OK actually. I'm cool if you want to go ahead with that concept.

@Helvorn
I'm more than happy to help with the system side. I think best thing would be to float character ideas here for now. Once the others that posted on this thread have chimed in with a yay or a nay I'll set up a proper game thread where we can get into more detail but I think it would be handy to have a basic idea of what everyone's thinking in terms of characters. Your concept would also work just fine I think.

Melkart

Hello tormentedmale,

I'm be interested in joining in this adventure if there is room for another character.

I've downloaded the quickstart rules and I'm reading them now.

tormentedmale

@Melkart, thanks for the interest. I think the optimum group size is probably four to five characters. I don't think I could handle more than that to be honest so any additional slots are kind of dependent on whether everyone who's already posted follows through with interest.

Trashbo96

Hey, I was recently playing a Iron heroes game set in the conan universe and it really sparked my interest for this sorts of play. Before delving into any hyborian setting I usually played 2ed AD&D with a little dark sun. Anyhow if I’m welcome to I have an idea for a Zingaran “bravo” swords of character. Thanks for the consideration :)

PixelatedPixie

My current though for a character is a Nemedian Noble Warrior (Petty Nobility, Vain, Educated by Masterful Tutors, Guest of a Greater Name, Defeated a Savage Beast).  Someone who has gotten where she is in life more off of who she knows than her own natural ability (Personality 12 and Society 5  vs Agility 10 and Melee 3). 

helvorn

To elaborate I see my character as quick of hands and feet, intelligent and ruthless.  She'd not be a primary combatant but is very good with the knife, a skilled thief and dancer.

Chanticleer

Still interested.

A Kushite woman, a slave born of the Gallah peoples, given in tithe at a tender age to the Chaga priests of Set...and taken en route to Shumbala by Stygian raiders, then sold and re-sold far from home. In captivity, she has learned to dance, and as has been mentioned of her people it takes a great deal to break the smile from her face. Many owners have tried, for it is a disturbing smile: a predator’s smile. The observant may note that the lithesome grace which informs her dance is born in a hunter’s poise and ability to move with smooth and silent power. In southern Hyborea her sable skin will stand out, but that's to the benefit of the auctioneer.

Heck, this far north they probably won't even pay any attention to the barely visible black-on-near-black tattoo of a serpent wound around her left ankle. Some people are born slaves, but few are destined for a particular master...

And some day that master or his representatives might just catch up to her.

Somewhat shamelessly inspired by but not modeled on Grace Jones' r63 portrayal of the character Zula from Conan the Destroyer. Utterly unlike the original (Darfarian) Zula.
My current O/os (need work)

tormentedmale

Characters are looking good!

I’ll post a proper OOC thread later today where we can carry on the conversation (I’m on my phone just now). The game will be called The Marked Ones. I’ll sort out character sheets this weekend.

@Trashbo / Melkart, thanks for the interest - I’m really sorry but I don’t think I can squeeze anyone else in right now.

tormentedmale

OK guys, proper OOC thread is here

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=291849.0

I've copied and pasted over some of the basic game premise / info.

helvorn

I will give the quick start rules a thorough review today so I can get into the detailed character sheet without delay.