Windows 8 wifi issue

Started by Starlequin, January 31, 2013, 03:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starlequin

I got a new laptop over the holidays, running Win8 (ugh), and I've only had a couple chances to take it out surfing. It connects without much fuss to one local network, but absolutely refuses to connect to any others. I keep getting 'Limited Connectivity' notices and 'WiFi doesn't have a valid ip configuration' messages. I've un/re-installed all of my AV and firewall software, gone through my ip settings, run troubleshooter, and nothing works. And I don't think the problem is the WiFi, because I'm at a hotspot right now and my phone connects without a problem.

Help?
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Autumn Sativus

You might need to change your connection settings back to defaults and remove your remembered network, then re-add it later. That's a strange one.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Starlequin

I've already reset everything I can find back to default. I'm running a full system restore right now; if this doesnt work (and it won't), I'm just gonna Cartman. ::)

Update: after a bit more searching (thank you, Reddit!), it appears that this model laptop (an HP 2000 Core i3; sorry I dont have the specific model number atm) is equipped with a subpar wireless card. I shall be muchly miffed if I have to shell out for and install a new card on a brand new deck. Grr. Arr. And other growly unpleasantries. >:(

Caeli

That is super frustrating. >:( I would be so ticked off if my new laptop's wireless card wouldn't let me connect to any typical wireless hotspot (for example, one at a coffeeshop).
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

NileGoddess

I was having issues with my WiFi being dropped on my latop too, and I had recently upgraded to a new Asus and Windows 8. My old computer was slowly going catatonic, but would reliably connect to the internet. I likewise would not have any problems connecting with my Xbox. Then my new computer would randomly drop connection with my router.

Eventually, I took it up with my ISP, as their internet had been an issue before. That seemed to be the problem, though sometimes I suspect my wireless card.

Starlequin

As expected, the system restore failed to resolve the issue. I ended up abandoning all attempts at a solution and am now at the original hotspot (the only one the deck will connect to, apparently). Yes, that's correct. I had to drive two towns over to find a working AP. See previous post regarding growly noises. >:(

Got a feeling the new card will end up being the solution. I miss my old deck already. Le sigh, man. Le sigh. (Sorry you're sufferin' the same horribull fate, NG. *commiserates*)