News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Shadowrun Online! [5th edition]

Started by undisclosedtoyou, November 07, 2014, 07:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Latooni Subota on November 11, 2014, 01:02:58 PM

Guess who took that distinctive flaw?! I should have everything done in a few hours, after I meet up with my mother for lunch.

Holy crap I want that hoodie, like right now!  And you're awesome LS!

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 11, 2014, 01:32:34 PM
A request for a reminder.  You can't take any Qualities, negative or positive, that revolve around personality, right?

Well, it's more like this, personality qualities are sort of useless, since you're SR character doesn't have their own personality, it has the same one that their "real world" counterpart would have.  So you can give your person a personality quality, but if your character in the real world doesn't share that quality, than your in game character ain't gonna have it either.  Of course, there are those people who like to play a role, and will probably keep playing it, once the reality of their situation comes to light(It'll be a bit weird though), but that's more acting than anything else.  You might as well use what points you have investing in something more useful.

I hope that makes sense.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

ReijiTabibito

Well, I only mention it because then that can preclude people taking things like the Code of Honor (unless you use the Warrior's Code or Assassin's Creed) or the Prejudiced negative Qualities.  I wasn't necessarily thinking hard about either, but they had crossed my mind.

Though, a question.  Is the SAO concept of 'Beaters' going to be present in the game?

EDIT: Can someone tell me how a Corporate Limited SIN is worse than a Criminal one?

undisclosedtoyou

I'm gonna give a bit of leeway on this, because what if your character really does have a very strict sense of honor, than it would sort of fit.  Prejudice is personal choice, because your character could go into the game hating one archetype for any reason, aesthetics would be a big one!  So I'm not really banning you from spending points in personality qualities, but put thought into it.  If you're "Real world" persona isn't a smooth talker, they're not going to be a smooth talker in game, and that's just a realistic limit. 

I'm allowing players to create characters that used to be beta testers, the level of proficiency is up you. 
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Latooni Subota

I should've asked first, but I was going into it with the idea of Miss Fox being a beta tester. Not a Kirito-tier god-queen expert, but still. Her whole shtick is doing things that other people wouldn't normally choose considering the setting and mechanics, so she dumped her priorities and points into attributes and skills, and got ZERO cybernetics and magic. "I'm gonna go into this hardmode, and see if I want to upgrade later. Starting with kung-fu cyberlegs made the beta a bit too easy I think . ."

She's going to be sorely unhappy at this choice, once she realizes what's up with the game.

Edit: Yeah, the hoodie is her distinctive style. Her Goggles piece of equipment is actually the hood itself. The eyes are lenses complete with vision modes and a smartlink which she pulls the wires down through the sleeves. The sheer freedom of design and variety of outfits is mind-boggling in this game, huh? :P

FASHION SOULS HERE WE COME!
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

ReijiTabibito

I'll keep that in mind.  As for Beta Testers, if the game is an MMO, and the SAO concept of a Beater existed, then isn't it possible for a player/character to carry a prejudice against Beaters?  We saw that more than once with Kirito in SAO...

undisclosedtoyou

I like that!  Of course, I almost always like it when a player chooses to go down a hard road; it makes for more interesting reading.  You're good with making her a beta tester.  I want a few players to create characters that were either in beta or went into the game knowing a shit load about the SR world.  Because we do have a few players who aren't as familiar with the setting, so it's nice to give them the option of asking someone for clarification in game, without having to bluff their way through it.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 11, 2014, 03:25:34 PM
I'll keep that in mind.  As for Beta Testers, if the game is an MMO, and the SAO concept of a Beater existed, then isn't it possible for a player/character to carry a prejudice against Beaters?  We saw that more than once with Kirito in SAO...

That's completely possible, and yes, it's going to be a thing in game.  If you're playing a player who was in beta, you best keep that to yourself, or expect a lot of suspicion and even out right hostility.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Latooni Subota on November 11, 2014, 03:20:39 PM
Edit: Yeah, the hoodie is her distinctive style. Her Goggles piece of equipment is actually the hood itself. The eyes are lenses complete with vision modes and a smartlink which she pulls the wires down through the sleeves. The sheer freedom of design and variety of outfits is mind-boggling in this game, huh? :P

FASHION SOULS HERE WE COME!

Yes!  All of the fashion!
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

ReijiTabibito

Question, then.  If we can do that, could it be possible for there to be someone who existed inbetween - someone who knows the tabletop games but wasn't a part of the beta?

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 11, 2014, 03:32:15 PM
Question, then.  If we can do that, could it be possible for there to be someone who existed inbetween - someone who knows the tabletop games but wasn't a part of the beta?

Yes.  The "Real world" is just like ours, except about ten years in the future.  Shadowrun is a tabletop game that is well established.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 11, 2014, 02:18:59 PM

EDIT: Can someone tell me how a Corporate Limited SIN is worse than a Criminal one?

Think of it as the difference between being a real-life prison inmate and being a real-life crooked ex-cop in prison. You're not just the enemy of the system, but you're a former representative and/or enforcer of the system, so the criminals hate you just as much or more than the authorities. Does that help?

ReijiTabibito

Except this isn't a prison, and you're required to broadcast your Criminal SIN at all times, not so much with the Corporate Limited...plus, there's the whole law enforcement harassment angle.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 11, 2014, 03:43:28 PM
Except this isn't a prison, and you're required to broadcast your Criminal SIN at all times, not so much with the Corporate Limited...plus, there's the whole law enforcement harassment angle.

The Shadowrunning world is pretty much the definition of a criminal-oriented society - aka Prison Culture. There doesn't have to be physical walls when most of the people you associate with on a regular basis are also criminals or low-society rejects. As for being required to broadcast your Criminal SIN - you make your living breaking and entering, robbing, and occasionally murdering people, failing to show your ID is just icing on the felonious cake here. If you don't broadcast that SIN, you're indistinguishable from a SINless person unless you get caught. That's why it is a drawback, because you choose between the social stigma or the extra-hard hammer if you screw up a mission.

Remember this is a game, ultimately, about being criminals. Being seen as one of 'them' on the streets is a lot riskier than being one of 'us', even if 'us' consists of law-breakers.

Though I did make a mistake initially - a Corporate Limited SIN isn't a crooked ex-cop, that is the equivalent of a Corporate Born SIN (the 25-point). So I made a bad evaluation there...Limited SIN is more like, I dunno, being the file clerk in a police station; technically gainful employment, but you're at risk from both ends since you regularly pal around with criminals and other undesirables.

undisclosedtoyou

Alrighty Shadowrunners, we've got an OOC - Chatter thread!

Because we've got 7 pages going on this sucker now, and I don't foresee anyone else showing interest!  Lol.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Arion

Just got my 5th ed book back, going to work up three characters and then choose from them.  Kinda have an idea for a Gunslinger Adept, couple of others that might work out.

Hope to see you in the Sprawl, chummers!
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

<a href="https://www.f-list.net/c/arion99">My F-List

undisclosedtoyou

Awesome!  I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's