D&D Miniatures- Version Disparity

Started by Paradox, September 21, 2008, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

I recently picked up the starter set for the new edition of Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures game; however, at the time, I did not realize that they were from a new edition that uses a new set of rules. I have well over 150 miniatures from the original sets. Is there any way to update the cards/stats of those old miniatures so that they can be used in the new version, or have they effectively been rendered obsolete?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

shadowheart

It's Dungeons and Dragons ... it never goes obsolete!

Now, smart-ass answer aside, I'd recommend WotC's forum as I'm sure plenty of enterprising miniatures gamers have asked the same question, or cobbled together house-rules to solve that very problem.

Back to my first answer :)   I don't know anything about the D&D Miniatures game, but if it's like other products in that line it should be modifiable, houseruleable and fakeable to do any thing you want with it.

Paradox

Thanks Shadowheart. I think that I may just have to whip up my own batch of ersatz rules to compensate for the fact that WotC hasn't gone back and updated any of the original miniature statistics (I did go and check the site/forums, thanks for the heads up). As far as I can tell, they will be updating the statistics of one set per month starting in October.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Canuckian

I sincearly doubt that there are any "offical" conversion rules, since that would fly in the face of WotC's policy of raping their customers as much as possible.  Just look at how much they hose Magic players...

By forcing you to re-buy every minature to be in compliance with the new rules, it generates new cashflow.  They'll probably do it again in a few years.

Chris Brady

Actually, they DO plan on redoing all the cards for all their minatures, old and new.  Mainly because they don't want to pull a Mage Knight.  Now THAT was a debacle, and a good lesson in what NOT to do.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

sleepingferret

The only version disparity is the creation of 4th edition to begin with.

Paradox

Heh. I kind of wanted to keep this unbiased for the sake of gleaning as much information as possible.

Chris Brady

Quote from: sleepingferret on September 29, 2008, 02:56:58 PM
The only version disparity is the creation of 4th edition to begin with.

Can we PLEASE leave your infantile misinformed opinion out of this?  There are enough 'edition wars' and people spouting off garbage they see off the internet without bothering with any research.

I believe that Wizards has done new cards for several of the early sets.  I know that old Large Gold Dragon has a new set of stats and they are NASTY.  One of the best peices in the game now, and it was from Night Below, a pre DDM 2.0 set.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

sleepingferret

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 29, 2008, 03:22:09 PM
Can we PLEASE leave your infantile misinformed opinion out of this?

I shouldn't even bother with a response.  Such words, don't even begin to warrant one, except for the fact that they insulting, judgmental, and more importantly spouted off by a completely misinformed stranger that knows nothing of me.

First and foremost, my opinion is of my own decision based upon my own D&D experiences and what I felt us true to the spirit of the D&D game itself.  4th edition is not by any means true to the D&D spirit.  Did they manage to create a viable game system, perhaps...but in my personal opinion it doesn't deserve to be a D&D title.

Back on topic however, yes both the D&D RPG stats and DDM stats for all DDM 1.0/D&D 3.0/3.5 minis will be updated starting next month.  So any skirmishers or any 4th edition players can keep their old minis.  Your old bulette might become a paperweight though, bastards made the damn thing a large creature now... I saw the 4th edition Monster Manual and the 4th edition mini for the creature.  My gaming group looked at the thing and was like, this thing is supposed to scare someone?  Normally a party of adventurers stumbles into a bulette and usually thinks twice about just jumping right in.  But now, it's basically like charging at a four legged ogre.  *yawns*

Paradox

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 29, 2008, 03:22:09 PM
Can we PLEASE leave your infantile misinformed opinion out of this?  There are enough 'edition wars' and people spouting off garbage they see off the internet without bothering with any research.

I believe that Wizards has done new cards for several of the early sets.  I know that old Large Gold Dragon has a new set of stats and they are NASTY.  One of the best peices in the game now, and it was from Night Below, a pre DDM 2.0 set.

Yeah, I'm looking for the OLD sets. I stopped buying the miniatures about 2 years ago, so I only have some of the originals. I'll just wait for them to work their way down the list until they finally reach those sets. I just hope someone comes up with a guideline for doing so in the mean time. I may homebrew my own if need be.

sleepingferret

You looking for skirmish stats for the miniature war game or roleplaying stats for use in a D&D game?

The RPG side of course is easy, aside from the included items they gave many of the creatures everything is based off of something in the Monster Manual.  I know you said you have the older ones, but take for example the D&D Icon Colossal Red Dragon... it's just a Great Wyrm straight out of the 3.5 Monster Manual.  Need to update to have a 'card' before Wizards can get you one?  Grab a 4th edition Monster Manual and a large note card, and you'll be all set.

As for the skirmish stats, if you have an understanding of the new DDM 2.0 rules and take a look at how some of the newer skirmish cards are done, it shouldn't be too hard to update anything if you need to do some quick updating so you can play before Wizards gets all official released.