Foyer Wanderer - A MotW System Group RP [1 Spot Open]

Started by Eliza, May 20, 2021, 03:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eliza

Greetings and welcome to Foyer Wanderer, a group system roleplay based on the Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA) game Monster of the Week, by Evil Hat Productions. I am the GM/DM of this game, called the "Keeper" in Monster of the Week.

As the name suggests, this RP will encompass a small team of players, called "Hunters" in this game, investigating, locating, and combating a Monster (or even a Phenomenon, as the MotW supplement "Tome of Mysteries" alludes to). The term was originally coined by the writing staff of The Outer Limits, who promised to bring a new monster with every new episode. Such similar examples include TV shows like Supernatural, Haven, and Buffy: the Vampire Slayer.

Foyer Wanderer is set in the year 2023. My plan for this game is to have it similar to the format of the early seasons of Supernatural, where the protagonists travel to different places to solve cases regarding a monster.

The premise of the game, based on the name, is that the majority of mankind believes Earth is the only place that supports life, but they are misled. The things that go bump in the night, urban legends, cryptids and unusual phenomena are very real, but some may not originate in the Earthly realm. There are many entryways across the face of the Earth, some known and countless others that are unknown or undiscovered, that connect Earth with various other realms. These connections are known as Foyers. An organization founded in ancient times have come to understand, study and try to predict the activation of Foyers, as some open without anyone knowing or witnessing, either whisking an innocent human away or dumping a beast from another realm, sometimes by accident. While they do not control the opening and closing of Foyers, this organization, which has lasted for generations, contract specialized people hidden among the populace, called Hunters, to investigate, uncover and subdue the monstrosities that may come forth into the Earthly realm.

This game will be posted in the Extreme Small Group forums (there is actually no distinction between freeform or system), due to the possible graphic descriptions that Hunters may encounter. These may or may not be sexual-based topics, but there is potential for there to be gore and blood. If you are sensitive to this material or find it offensive, please hit the back button. If you have made it to this sentence and find it interesting, please post your interest below. You may also bookmark this thread whenever there are updates.

Before I forget, I will utilize a Discord server for this game, as Monster of the Week is recommended to be played as if it were a conversation between the Keeper and the Hunters. There, most of the gameplay and rolls will take place. As storytellers, you may use the information gathered to construct a post in the forums.

If you are interested and would like to play, please browse the playbooks available in the second post. And post a reply stating your interest.

-Eliza

Eliza

Team Concept

To be edited...

As all the Hunters have been contracted by this clandestine organization, they may have worked with other Hunters on other cases or may have primarily worked alone. So they may be strangers to each other or at the least, been acquaintances at one point in time. Some Hunters have been doing this their whole life, while some may be just starting out. As the Keeper, I will help in filling out your backstories, including any beginnings in the supernatural or histories with other Hunters.

Before starting your character sheet, pick a Hunter Playbook from the links below. Use the playbook as a guide to create a character sheet, which you will use during play. You may leave any character histories blank. I, the Keeper, will assist in weaving such histories with other hunters of your choice.

Original Monster of the Week Playbooks

The Chosen
The Crooked
The Divine
The Expert
The Flake
The Initiate
The Monstrous
Please ask Keeper!
The Mundane
The Professional
The Spell-Slinger
The Spooky
The Wronged

Tome of Mysteries Playbooks

Other Playbooks

The Athlete
The Cryptozoologist

The Freelancer Coming Soon!
The Hard Case Coming Soon!
The Mad Scientist
The Meddling Kid Coming Soon!
The SkepticThe Operative
The Primal Coming Soon!
The Protector Coming Soon!
The Risen Coming Soon!
The Science Guy
The Secret Seeker
The Seer
The Skeptic

The Snoop Coming Soon!
The Special Agent Coming Soon!
The Stranded Coming Soon!
The Tracker
The Veteran

Hazy Sky

I'll bring my Monstrous back if he's still acceptable.
Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Eliza

Eliza

I am thinking of restarting this game, opening potential for new players/characters. It will follow after the already established mystery.

RedKnight

Quote from: Eliza on April 11, 2023, 01:33:55 AM
I am thinking of restarting this game, opening potential for new players/characters. It will follow after the already established mystery.

Oh, oh oh. Put me in coach.

More seriously, Eliza and I talked. I seriously looking forward to a MotW game. Thinking of playing an Operative.
Posting: Daily
My RP Preferences

c0i9z

shereena12345

A few questions...

How much smut is going to be in this game?  Will our characters be involved in it?  Does it involve the monsters?

About the gore...does it involve our characters or is it to set the mood?

Hexed

this version certainly has some interesting playbooks. Spell slinger and chosen in particular look pretty neat.

Eliza

Quote from: shereena12345 on April 22, 2023, 11:17:08 AM
A few questions...

How much smut is going to be in this game?  Will our characters be involved in it?  Does it involve the monsters?

About the gore...does it involve our characters or is it to set the mood?

There will be more story versus smut and will likely take a backseat in the main story. If you would like to have a separate thread for smut scenes, we can work it out. Maybe even tie in some history between characters. Involving the monsters with smut... I would say no, though I am open to the monsters causing emotions/troubles/trauma that may lead to smut scenes. In another PbtA game I am currently playing, there is a custom aspect that involves temptations and players must roll to avoid getting tempted.

Smut and gore, I believe should be set by the players, being as specific as possible detailing any hard turn-offs and kinks/elements you are willing to tolerate.

Quote from: c0i9z on April 21, 2023, 11:36:15 PM
I'll be playing the Initiate as before, if you'd like.

Perfectly fine with me. I take it Alyssa will just pick up where she left off?

The game will have a Discord server for OOC and rolls. https://discord.gg/CPQXdbyH

c0i9z

Depends if we're starting a new story or not. If we're starting anew, I migth as well start her anew, too.

Eliza

Quote from: c0i9z on April 22, 2023, 08:04:12 PM
Depends if we're starting a new story or not. If we're starting anew, I migth as well start her anew, too.

Let me ask the others who are interested, would you like a new story or start from where the previous one left off (just with new* characters)?

UPDATE: Added The Seer Playbook, which just like the Science Guy playbook, are custom playbooks use in The Critshow podcast.

AbigailChase

RedKnight

Quote from: Eliza on April 22, 2023, 08:43:34 PM
Let me ask the others who are interested, would you like a new story or start from where the previous one left off (just with new* characters)?

It's just a mild preference for starting fresh vs. picking up where the previous one left off. I like the idea of each of us describing our relationship with the other players.

That said, this a gentle warning. I've been off for a couple of days (Sat and Sun) and behind on all of my other games. I've got a general character concept - Jimmy Shiflet (aka Slim Jim and the Runt). However, The Keeper and I have got a fair bit of backstory to create - the Organization for which the Operative used to work, and a secret that he learned.

And if I'm slowing down the game, I'll happily bow out.
Posting: Daily
My RP Preferences

Eliza

Quote from: AbigailChase on April 24, 2023, 12:28:15 PM
Oh, count me in if there is still space!!!

I think there is still space. I am aiming for 3-4 Hunters. RedKnight and c0i9z have picked a playbook already, while Hexed is still deciding.

So that's one spot left.

Quote from: RedKnight on April 24, 2023, 12:45:34 PM
It's just a mild preference for starting fresh vs. picking up where the previous one left off. I like the idea of each of us describing our relationship with the other players.

That will involve picking out histories between your character and the other Hunters. This will delay the start of the game somewhat, but I'm totally fine with it.

And RedKnight has stated that he votes for starting fresh!

Quote from: RedKnight on April 24, 2023, 12:45:34 PM
And if I'm slowing down the game, I'll happily bow out.

Game hasn't started yet, but we'll see.

AbigailChase

I think I'll go with a latex clad spell-slinger. I need to figure out how the ruleset works, but I'll get there.

Eliza

Quote from: AbigailChase on April 24, 2023, 10:02:09 PM
I think I'll go with a latex clad spell-slinger. I need to figure out how the ruleset works, but I'll get there.

I think someone is already taking the spell-slinger. There cannot be duplicate playbooks on one team.

Hexed

If AbigailChase wants to use the spell-slinger I have no problem swapping to the Chosen playbook.

Eliza

Quote from: Hexed on April 25, 2023, 06:37:04 AM
If AbigailChase wants to use the spell-slinger I have no problem swapping to the Chosen playbook.

Fine by me. I think I'll close recruitment now. Any more interest will be put on a waiting list.

UPDATE: Leprechaun is looking to reprise his role as The Mundane, bringing the total of Hunters to 5. Since he was part of the first roster, I was willing to squeeze him in.

Eliza

I have pulled two out of five of our Hunters from the game indefinitely. I shall open a spot for a fourth Hunter.

Please advise, you may pick any Playbooks in the second post of this thread except for: Chosen, Initiate, Spell-Slinger, Divine, Operative or Mundane. If you really want to pick one of these, please send a PM to the Keeper.

Eliza

It's 2024 and I'm giving this a BUMP.

1 spot is still open for a Hunter.

Playbooks that cannot be chosen are: Chosen, Initiate, Spell-Slinger, Divine, Operative or Mundane.

Ixy

This system seems like a great way of handling challenges with creativity while shaping the story... I'm very interested, and will be reading up/submitting a character ASAP.  Do you have set expectations for posting frequency?

Eliza

Quote from: Ixy on January 12, 2024, 06:56:30 AMThis system seems like a great way of handling challenges with creativity while shaping the story... I'm very interested, and will be reading up/submitting a character ASAP.  Do you have set expectations for posting frequency?
I would required at least 1 post a week, which is the rate that is current with the players right now. Expect posts by the Keeper to be quite long, but yours may be around 4 paragraphs, depending on the context.