News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Advice on Starting a Large game

Started by Aragem, November 14, 2008, 11:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aragem

A friend and I are developing this extensive story for around ten characters.  We'll be playing some of them, but we want others to play as well. 

1.  Which is the best way to attract creative writing players?  Players that are good writers and care more for the story than the sex?

2.  The game/story will have multiple characters within different factions and locations.  I've seen some games where they have a thread for each location that is visited often. 

3.  Is there a useful way to keep up with the characters/players and actions and situations happening in the game?  Other than taking notes in a notepad.

4.  I know this may be rude, but is it permissiable to turn down a player because you don't believe they'll contribute much to the story.  Like poor writing skills or conflicting personality?

5.  Is there a good way of avoiding, dealing, or controlling any over the top players?

Is there any bits of advice on how to keep this game from blowing up in our faces? 

Trieste

Communication is key ... for all of these. Getting players is posting in Players Wanted, checking people out, deciding if they are going to be good for your game. Some will nto be good for your game and you will have to simply tell them 'no'.

This goes for the over-the-top person(s) as well. Simply say 'no', clearly and firmly.

And unless you have a very good memory, you'll just have to take notes. It's just the way you have to do things.

Moondazed

Quote from: Aragem on November 14, 2008, 11:37:56 PM
1.  Which is the best way to attract creative writing players?  Players that are good writers and care more for the story than the sex?

4.  I know this may be rude, but is it permissiable to turn down a player because you don't believe they'll contribute much to the story.  Like poor writing skills or conflicting personality?

5.  Is there a good way of avoiding, dealing, or controlling any over the top players?

I think the trick to finding the right players is in being crystal clear about what you're looking for.  It's not wrong or rude to know what you're looking for and wait for the right person to fill the role.  For me, it's very important that I feel some kind of connection with the person/people I'm writing with, because otherwise I don't feel like part of the writing team and I can lose interest to the point that it becomes work instead of fun.

Quote3.  Is there a useful way to keep up with the characters/players and actions and situations happening in the game?  Other than taking notes in a notepad.

The wiki could be useful for this purpose.  If you'd like help in using it, feel free to PM me.

QuoteIs there any bits of advice on how to keep this game from blowing up in our faces? 

The only advice I have to offer is pretty simple... make sure that everyone is communicating.  Touch base with your players often (but be careful not to be pushy about their rate of posting) and make sure everyone is enjoying themselves, because that's what will keep a game alive and vibrant.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Greenthorn

Quote from: Aragem on November 14, 2008, 11:37:56 PM
A friend and I are developing this extensive story for around ten characters.  We'll be playing some of them, but we want others to play as well. 

2.  The game/story will have multiple characters within different factions and locations.  I've seen some games where they have a thread for each location that is visited often. 

3.  Is there a useful way to keep up with the characters/players and actions and situations happening in the game?  Other than taking notes in a notepad.

Is there any bits of advice on how to keep this game from blowing up in our faces? 

1.  Players Wanted thread...and be very specific on what you are looking for!
2 & 3.  It's also good to have an OOC thread to discuss the game and keep things organized.
4.  I actually made this a community discussion in On Topic.  It is definitely okay to turn people down...as long as it's done nicely, feelings should not get hurt!
5.  PM, PM, PM.  Do not allow it to become a huge fight.  If a few people complain to you as the main person, then PM that person...but don't involve others in it...basically don't create a lynching mob...that creates too much drama.

All games are only as good and last as long as the people in them.  Be sure you have at least one other person who you know isn't going to flake out on you...that way if the others do, you can always restart the game with new people ;D

Just my 2 cents!

Aragem

Thanks!  We'll keep these in mind.  I wasn't too sure about how to turn people down.  If there was any rules on that.  This place is really open and friendly, that I wasn't sure if anyone ever got rejected for a part.

Moondazed

GT, you should post the link to that thread :)  I would do it, but I can't find the darned thing!
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Aragem

Please do!  I think it will give me pointers for this game and future games.

Greenthorn