Trump

Started by Vekseid, February 01, 2017, 02:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Keep in mind that many of these sentences will be served concurrently.  Even so, at 69, and having lived a cushy lifestyle before, serving even the minimum sentences is going to be essentially a lifetime.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

And of course Trump is making noise about his ability to pardon, again. What would be the consequences, hypothetically, if he did pardon Manafort?

Deamonbane

I don't think it's grounds for anything but more political outrage, and hopefully more isolation from the GOP.

Remember, remember to vote in November.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

legomaster00156

Republicans would moan quietly and nothing would change.

HairyHeretic

I saw a news story saying his lawyer had announced he wasn't willing to accept a pardon from Trump.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cassandra LeMay

First of all, I have to correct myself. I thought Manafort had been charged under 26 USC 2701, but it was (far as I can now tell) 26 USC 2706, which carries a maximum sentence of 3 years - not 5, as I had originally assumed.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 22, 2018, 11:46:13 AM
And of course Trump is making noise about his ability to pardon, again. What would be the consequences, hypothetically, if he did pardon Manafort?
Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 22, 2018, 12:00:19 PM
I saw a news story saying his lawyer had announced he wasn't willing to accept a pardon from Trump.
Which really is a thing - you don't have to accept a pardon. You can, but the proclamation of the President alone isn't enough. The precedent is Burdick v. United States.

But, if Trump pardoned Manafort - and Manafort accepted the pardon - one consequence would be that Manafort could be forced to give testimony in cases related to his crimes. He would no longer be able to plead 5th Ammendment rights in any matter he was pardoned for. "The Fifth" protects you from incriminating yourself in criminal procedings. But with a pardon there can be no criminal trial against you for the events the pardon covers. Therefore you can not incriminate yourself. So if he were pardoned, Manafort could find himself under a subpoena to testify. If he then refuses to testify in court he could be held in contempt. If I am not mistaken, contempt of court could land him in prison.

Another question (to which I have no answer) is if some state law violations could be hung on Manafort. A presidential pardon only covers federal crimes, but he might be off the hook here, thanks to double jeopardy, i.e. the rule that you can't be tried for the same conduct twice. But, as with most legal matters, the old adage applies: It's complicated. 
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

MasterMischief

The 'law and order' president's defense is now "snitches get stitches".

gaggedLouise

If a man (Mananafort) accepts a pardon, doesn't that carry the implication of accepting that the charges he was sentenced on were valid, and that he was guilty?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

gaggedLouise

*giggles at the typo "Mananafort" for a man who is likely to be sentenced to at least fifty years in jail* :P

gaggedLouise

Asked about what happens after the midterms, Trump replied that if any impeachment of him started, the markets would crash.

Those people in Congress better just sit tight, he thinks.

legomaster00156

There was no Russian meddling.
My campaign didn't participate in Russian meddling.
Some members of my campaign accepted help, but I didn't know about it.
I knew about it, but it's legal.
You can't convict me, it would destroy the country.

At this point, the goal posts have been moved a hundred miles out of the stadium.

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on August 23, 2018, 06:40:39 AM
If a man (Mananafort) accepts a pardon, doesn't that carry the implication of accepting that the charges he was sentenced on were valid, and that he was guilty?

According to Bob Woodward (one of the journalists that broke Watergate, now associate editor of the Washington Post), President Gerald Ford carried a portion of Burdick v. United States in his wallet, which suggested that the acceptance of a pardon implies guilt.  Woodward interviewed Ford about this approximately 20 years after Ford left office.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

"When the President does it, its not illegal." ~ A Crook.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 23, 2018, 10:27:35 AM

"FAKE NEWS!! It should say 'HC Crook'!"

- Donald Trump

:D

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: gaggedLouise on August 23, 2018, 06:40:39 AM
In the eyes of the public, probably very much so.

In the eyes of the law, ... maybe. The relevant part of the Constitution says: "The president shall ... have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States..." [emphasis added] So it seems a pardon can only attach if there is an offense. But the offense alone does not mean that the pardoned party is guilty. In general that can be assumed, as the Burdick precedent states that accepting a pardon comes with an admission of guilt. On the other hand, a pardon can also be granted if the pardoner believes the person in question is innocent and has been wrongly convicted. That can be spelled out in the pardon, so if the pardon would be worded in a certain way, there might not be any admission of guilt. As with most legal matters, the answer is "it depends".

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Iniquitous

Should also point out that if Manafort were to accept a pardon, he can no longer plead the fifth if he is subpoenaed for questioning concerning this whole Russia probe.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Twisted Crow

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 23, 2018, 10:27:35 AM

*Reads that in (Futurama) Nixon's head's voice.*  ^-^

Norwegian One

Quote from: Dallas on August 23, 2018, 11:53:23 PM
*Reads that in (Futurama) Nixon's head's voice.*  ^-^

I thought I was the only one ;D
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

gaggedLouise

Love the re-use of Edvard Munch's The Scream here, in reply to an almost panicky Trump tweet. :D

https://twitter.com/WomanResistorNC/status/1032859157085466624

gaggedLouise

If Trump's twitter feed and talk at Fox & Friends is anything to go by, then Sessions' days as Secretary of Justice may be counted.  ::)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: gaggedLouise on August 24, 2018, 07:20:22 AM
If Trump's twitter feed and talk at Fox & Friends is anything to go by, then Sessions' days as Secretary of Justice may be counted.  ::)
We've thought that before, but I admit that realDonald's latest tirade sounds kinda serious - which is probably what he wants us to think. Just wait for the interview where he is asked if he will fire Sessions and he replies "I don't know. Maybe I will. You will see. Stay tuned." or something to that effect. That's his usual MO to spin the news into another frenzied cycle and distract from news about his own, personal (wrong)doings.

In other words: I'll believe it when it happens, but till then ... stay tuned.  ;)

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on August 24, 2018, 08:58:06 AM
We've thought that before, but I admit that realDonald's latest tirade sounds kinda serious - which is probably what he wants us to think. Just wait for the interview where he is asked if he will fire Sessions and he replies "I don't know. Maybe I will. You will see. Stay tuned." or something to that effect. That's his usual MO to spin the news into another frenzied cycle and distract from news about his own, personal (wrong)doings.

In other words: I'll believe it when it happens, but till then ... stay tuned.  ;)

Of course, firing the evil vindictive Keebler elf might be the mistake that does him in. As AG, he is constrained by being part of the White House cabinet. Firing him might up end a huge steaming pile the likes of which the President might regret.  My bet if he goes it’s after the midterms IF the GOP says in control

Various

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on August 22, 2018, 01:22:11 PM
Another question (to which I have no answer) is if some state law violations could be hung on Manafort. A presidential pardon only covers federal crimes, but he might be off the hook here, thanks to double jeopardy, i.e. the rule that you can't be tried for the same conduct twice. But, as with most legal matters, the old adage applies: It's complicated.

You can't be charged twice by the same sovereign. The federal government and the state governments are considered different sovereigns. That being said, from what I've heard, New York, where most of the alleged crimes occurred, takes a narrow view of what it can do after the Feds have already weighed in.
[tr]
[td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

gaggedLouise

Trump and his cronies at Fox are trying to pull the Hillary Card again, to change the topic from his own self-inflicted woes:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1033339636343549952