What's in the News? 2.0

Started by Tolvo, January 16, 2019, 05:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orval Wintermute

I never know exactly what to think when attacks like this happen.

The act itself is horrific and the effect this will have on the friends and families of those injured or killed is just unimaginable.

But then the journalists and politicians and community leaders start weighing in and it gets all kinds of murky.

I don't want to know the attackers names or what they looked like or their reasons for doing what they did. I don't want to be angry at the attackers because I don't want to give them even that tiny bit of my attention.

I wish there was a way to report what happened without saying what happened. Because then arseholes like Tommy Robinson can't try to make a tragedy in New Zealand into a story about how he's a "victim of a biased media". Because then I wouldn't feel like taking a baseball bat to someone saying "only one more and it would have been a round fifty"

Orval Wintermute

Need to be a bit careful about motives etc. given what's happened in New Zealand.

But people attending a London mosque were called "terrorists" among other things, the incident then escalated into a fight where one of the people attending the mosque was hit by a hammer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/london-mosque-attack-cannon-street-muslim-islam-a8825541.html

Tolvo

Well motives and causes we know in events like this. It's due to the rise of Neo Nazism and right wing violence and right wing terrorism. That's very well understood among researchers at this point.

Talking about it and sharing it is inevitable in the age of the internet, it's about how you do it and what you share. For instance talking about the roots of this is important and what the causes are, but don't share his manifesto. The manifesto should only really be shared with professionals, because they often contain calls to action to inspire other mass murders and frequently mass murderers cite being inspired by others especially if they share political views. Sharing the manifesto which is typically self aggrandizing and calling for others to do the same is dangerous. But discussing and analyzing what led to this is important, it's also important to not blame mental illness since it's rarely the cause of such incidents and hatred for others is usually the root. Though Sandy Hook was a case for instance where it was a very mentally ill person, most other incidents the mass murderers were of sane mind, they just wanted to kill people. Which perfectly sane people can do if they convince themselves the people being killed deserve it or it serves a greater purpose.

Skynet

The New Zealand shooter posted a manifesto online.

It included a lot of white nationalist talking points, such as "white genocide" which asserts that the encouragement of inter-racial marriage and immigration of Muslim/Latino/etc people is part of a conspiratorial plot to wipe out the white race.

Seems like some pretty clear motives.

Xue

The incident has been supported by Australian politicians. By supported, I mean "actually the real problem is Muslims".

There is an urgent need to address the radicalisation of white men.

Mechelle

I thought there was only one Australian politician, Fraser Anning(?), who had said the massacre was down to Islam, although there may be others I have missed.

Here in Britain, it has been condemned generally, although some of the right wing pundits, including one quoted by Anders Breivik favourably in the past, say this attack is nothing to do with them. I also saw comments that this was just a bad man, and not a terrorist.

As previous posters have said, we do need to look at the radicalisation of some white men,  and the refusal of right wing media to take any responsibility for their actions.

Xue

Oh this particular attack on this particular day? Yes.

But the anti Muslim rhetoric is pretty constant.

Waleed Aly’s commentary is pretty spot on.

https://youtu.be/WIyBtmi7448

Markus

I confess when I first heard the headline, I thought oh another shooting in the US. So when I saw the location listed as New Zealand I did a double take.
The whole thing is of course sad, but more than the shooting itself, what I found macabre was the need to broadcast the entire thing on social media. It seems as if the guy wanted an audience, which I found disturbing.
I think its the unexpected nature of the event is what has shocked many people. If something like this happened in a country, like say afghanistan, nigeria or even the US where gun violence is the norm, it wouldnt generate as much attention, cause people expect news of that sort to come outta there.

мαякυs's αωσℓ ησтιcε

ᴀɴᴅ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴅᴏᴇs ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡʙᴏʀɴ ɢᴏ ғʀᴏᴍ ʜᴇʀᴇ? ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴛ ɪs ᴠᴀsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ.

Lustful Bride

Callie Del Noire

How is this man not divorced yet? I see he and his wife, Kelly Anne Conway, not even sleeping in the same room

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/434485-conways-husband-suggests-trump-has-narcissistic-personality-disorder

Think he is calling it right

Orval Wintermute

Some ways this belongs in Brexit but it's also much larger than that.
Speaker Bercow has ruled that May's deal can't be voted on again unless it's significantly changed from last time she tried to push it through. The EU have been very clear that they won't change the deal, so there won't be changes coming from them. Nobody knows what comes next.
Effectively Bercow's ruling means there is no longer a functioning Government in the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47614074

Tamhansen

Quote from: Orval Wintermute on March 18, 2019, 01:24:21 PM
Effectively Bercow's ruling means there is no longer a functioning Government in the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47614074

I think that ship sailed three years ago.

In other news

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47611811 Netherlands gets its own islamic terrorist, maybe.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tamhansen on March 18, 2019, 01:27:04 PM
I think that ship sailed three years ago.

In other news

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47611811 Netherlands gets its own islamic terrorist, maybe.

I would say it started three years ago, the last vote killed it. If I was May, I’d have Tea with the Queen and regretfully inform her that the government seems set on unrealistic goals for Brexit and that she’s tired of the BS

Tamhansen

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 18, 2019, 02:12:58 PM
I would say it started three years ago, the last vote killed it. If I was May, I’d have Tea with the Queen and regretfully inform her that the government seems set on unrealistic goals for Brexit and that she’s tired of the BS

It's parliament really that is setting unrealistic goals. It needs to be a soft brexit that takes Britain out of the common market, but keeps free trade, removes freedom of movement, yet keeps freedom of capital and goods.

ons and offs

Mechelle

It is ironic that the Speaker in protecting the rights of Parliament by preventing the executive from repeatedly proposing the same legislation has upset the Brexiters so much, when they claimed to demand the sovereignty of Parliament.

It is a law dating back to 1604, apparently,so it's older than the United Kingdom, although it might still be a modern piece of legislation as far as Jacob Rees-Mogg is concerned.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tamhansen on March 18, 2019, 03:30:25 PM
It's parliament really that is setting unrealistic goals. It needs to be a soft brexit that takes Britain out of the common market, but keeps free trade, removes freedom of movement, yet keeps freedom of capital and goods.

Unless they can suddenly solve climate change, develop a method of infinitive clean power.. I’d say the EU will stick with some version of their current position.

AmberStarfire

Sara Nilsson

trigger warning. suicide? possible murder by cops
https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/19-year-old-dies-following-routine-traffic-stop-in-chesapeake/291-578159905

So a 19 year old who was handcuffed, managed to find a hidden gun, shoot herself in the head and the police body camera was sadly not working as it had been knocked off. one can wonder why the police put her in her boyfriends car instead of.. you know.. back in the police car, and didn't keep an eye on her. And you know.. the whole how she managed to contort herself like that.

Tamhansen

link seems to be locked down
ons and offs

Tamhansen

ons and offs

AmberStarfire

Lustful Bride

Ugh does this guy have to be let back out? He's gone on record saying he will still spread extremist material, still advocate violence and death. He ran off to join a terror group, he should be in prison at least for life. He hasn't softened on his views at all, he's just going to go out and do it all again.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6827529/Former-American-Taliban-released-prison-supports-extremist-group.html

Lustful Bride

Azuresun

Quote from: Lustful Bride on March 19, 2019, 06:59:31 PM
Ugh does this guy have to be let back out? He's gone on record saying he will still spread extremist material, still advocate violence and death. He ran off to join a terror group, he should be in prison at least for life. He hasn't softened on his views at all, he's just going to go out and do it all again.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6827529/Former-American-Taliban-released-prison-supports-extremist-group.html

If the Daily Mail said the sky was blue, I'd stick my head out to check.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Azuresun on March 20, 2019, 04:27:13 AM
If the Daily Mail said the sky was blue, I'd stick my head out to check.

What, are they like the Fox News of the UK?