News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Bleach besm game interest check

Started by Saikotsu, January 31, 2012, 03:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saikotsu

Yo everybody. I'd like to do a BESM game based on the bleach universe. Because I prefe not to play Canon characters for fear of playing them improperly, this game will be original characters only. No exceptions. I'm looking for 4-6 players who'd be comitted to the story. I should mention that I have a busy schedule and may only be able to post every couple of days or a few times in a single night. if this bothers you, you need not join. I'll furnish more details when I get home tonight, so feel free to ask questions in the meantime. I look forward to a fun game.
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only screwing yourself.
- a friend
Anyone perfect must be lying.
-Bare Naked Ladies: falling for the first time.
Why is it blatantly obvious when two people are in love, but the two lovers are usually the last to find out?

The truth is only as dangerous as the lies we tell ourselves.

cmpuncle

meow mix meow mix please deliver, I'll jump in.
"Why So Serious?" Heath Ledger-The Joker-The Dark Knight
"He's the hero Gotham deserves but not the one it needs right now." Commissioner Gordon-The Dark Knight
"I'm not supposed to lose!" Setzer-Kingdom Hearts 2

CmdrRenegade

I know you said no canon characters, but will the canon cast have any sort of attachment to the plot? I guess what I'm asking is how the events of Bleach will tie in, if at all.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Wheresmycow

I'd be interested in getting in on this, and a more relaxed posting schedule would suit me fine.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Undercov3rL0ver

Consider me on the fence. If my schedule starts clearing up, count me in, otherwise I'll just watch from the sidelines.
Sometimes, the heart knows better than the mind. Listen to your heart, for it contains wisdom that many ignore.

Even if the entire world laughed and despised me, I had a person who needed me, that's all I need to be happy.
   "Yowane Haku, Daughter of White" -quoted specifically for a certain someone.

Saikotsu

hey everyone, glad to see some responses in my absence. 
To answer your question, CmdrRenegade, the canon characters will still be around, but the rp won't focus on them. If anything, you might see some involvement from Urahara and perhaps from Mayuri and his squad. Ichigo and friends are still around, but they're tied up in Karakura dealing with there own mess over there.

If you've noticed, most of Bleach either takes place in Soul Society, Hueco Mundo, or in the world of the living, specifically, Karakura town. I personally think that other towns in the world probably have hollow activity, but they are seldom shown at all. This rp will take place in a different town. Probably Hamanatsu, though I might change the name.   

To clarify, it's not that I dislike the characters, they make the show what it is. It's just that in my experience, when players try to play a canon character, they don't portray them "In Character".  It's hard playing an established character, each one talks differently and would approach different situations in their own style. I in particular have a hard time playing a canon character because of my lack of "character voice" so to speak. 

Anyway, I want to start off the rp much like Bleach started out.  All the player characters are people who have the ability to see spirits in various degrees, but they don't really know anything about soul society and what not.  An event happens that triggers the awakenings of supernatural powers (like Orihime or Chads), or the player finds they suddenly have shinigami powers (I frequently switch between Shinigami and Soul Reaper).  I'd explain how this works in detail, but that'd give away some plot points.  Keep in mind, Bankai is not an easy thing to learn.  All too often, I've seen players miraculously gain bankai really early in the rp, and that's just not right.  Everyone will get a chance to achieve bankai, some may even get the chance to become a vaizard later on (if they wish), but it won't be really early on.  These things take time after all.  Anyway, I'm open for further questions. I'll probably post a character sheet in a day or two, so keep on the lookout.
- a friend
Why is it blatantly obvious when two people are in love, but the two lovers are usually the last to find out?

Les Man

I also like the set-up and the idea of everybody starting off at square-one, that's great.  Forces people to make interesting characters before they make interesting powers, kinda.

And the idea of a parallel story to the Bleach canon, but in a different town is probably the best way to handle it, too, so...

I'm in, too, if you don't mind.

Question, though: what's your canon-source?  the anime?  (not that it matters if you go by the manga, really, I never read it)
"I will give you the world..." The Pen That Is Mightier: D'autre Personnes Vit (Likes & Dislikes)
Le Ons & Offs pour Les Man.
Just a taste: The Philosopher and the Stone (Writing Sample)

Saikotsu

thank you.  Glad to have you aboard.  I'm currently going through both the anime and the manga again so I guess you could say both are my sources. The main difference between the manga and anime is that the anime has filler arcs, some of which people like, some of which they don't.  I personally don't mind them, but I do not plan on relying too heavily on them either.

Alright everyone, I'm about ready to start. I have a few general details I'd like to work out before putting up the character thread, but feel free to start thinking up your characters.  You can be a soul reaper, a human with special powers, or a quincy.  I always offer the quincy, but no one ever takes it. I realize that Uryu is the "last" quincy, but his father also had quincy powers, so technically there's two quincy's which means there could theoretically be more "last" quincys.  I'm only going to allow one of them though. Also, I'd prefer it if you avoid having a zanpakuto that does mental things like hypnosis or mind control. Almost every bleach rp I've played in or gmed, a player wants to have that power. If you really want a power like that, pm me, we'll discuss it, but I make no promises.   
- a friend

Wheresmycow

I'm thinking of being a soul reaper.  Not sure what his shikai will be yet, was leaning towards a self-boosting thing.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

cmpuncle

I will say a normal person to start out, I think you know what I would like his abilities to be based off of, I'll probably talk with you through Yahoo to work it out Saiko.
"He's the hero Gotham deserves but not the one it needs right now." Commissioner Gordon-The Dark Knight

Les Man

I'd actually be interested in the Quincy position (with a back-up choice of Shinigami, just in case).

And I don't want to nit-pick, lol, but I wiki'd the Quincy thing recently.  I think "The Last Quincy" is a special title held by the most powerful surviving Quincy today.  Before Uryu's grandfather's death there were 3 "last Quincy's", and I think they implied more being around in a flashback about one of their betrayals...

Anyway, I only say that because it would be neat to have a Quincy-friend if my char is approved, really, (even an NPC) lol.  I'm probably getting ahead of myself though, sorry.
"I will give you the world..." The Pen That Is Mightier: D'autre Personnes Vit (Likes & Dislikes)

Saikotsu

@Les Man
Don't worry. I'm a rather laid-back gm. My goal is for the players to have fun, so I'm usually open to most ideas. So long as you communicate with me, I can usually accommodate most requests.  I firmly believe in letting the players shape the game.  Sure I have plans and a general idea of where I want my story to go, but I also realize that the players make the story. In other words, feel free to approach me with questions or comments.
  Anyway. I'm cool with a Quincy being around, though which would be your primary character?  I'll let you control both, or you could have one character be your main and the other being an NPC.  And thank you for the information.  I'll admit, I'm a bit rusty, so I've been going through the wiki and re-watching the show in my spare time, making sure I'm not violating any material and what not.

@Cmpuncle:
Since we talked about it, I'm okay with you having that as your zanpakuto, though I'd like to go over the personality a little more.

@wheresmycow:
sounds good so far.

@all
if any of you know of a reliable site where I can find decent English-Japanese-Romaji translations, that would help. I'm trying to give a realistic name to my character's zanpakuto and some of the NPC's weapons as well but I'd rather not name them in English. 
Also, since this is a BESM game based on Bleach, I am planning on letting you choose some attributes for your characters. Do you guys have any preferences in editions? I've got 3rd and D20. If you'd prefer, we can ignore the books altogether and just roll for HP, Reiatsu, etc. 

- a friend

Wheresmycow

I'd like to make use out of my 3rd edition to be honest.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Les Man

Saikotsu, I over-abuse Google Translate like you wouldn't believe.  You can get the Romanic and Kanji from it, that's how I got all my Bleach-ish names.

As for my characters, I meant I'd like to play one character, a Quincy, but if you're not cool with the "CS" I have, then I have other ideas, too, heh.

As for BESM, I know nothing (and prefer freeform) but will learn anything you got going on, so don't worry about that.  Though since you suggested it... minimal dice rolls and a lot of common sense/fair play would be nice.

Lol, and don't apologize, I just learned that a few weeks ago, so I felt all extra wise for a moment, lol.

Undercov3rL0ver

I'm good with either 3rd edition or freeform.  I find the idea of a diceless (or perhaps a less-dice) Bleach game intriguing. Where so much of the story IS combat it'd be interesting to see how you'd handle it without the traditional dice rolls? Think you're up to the challenge Saiko? 

as for my character, I think I'll go with either a soul reaper with a water-based zanpakuto, or a human with a special power. Actually, I'm leaning more towards that.  Regardless, I don't want to play another healer character. I play way too many of them. Time to expand my horizons!
Sometimes, the heart knows better than the mind. Listen to your heart, for it contains wisdom that many ignore.

Even if the entire world laughed and despised me, I had a person who needed me, that's all I need to be happy.
   "Yowane Haku, Daughter of White" -quoted specifically for a certain someone.

cmpuncle

I gotta admit I'm extremely partial to dice rolling, only for battle of course.  Namely because all but one of the rps I've ever been in that don't use dice rolls tend to attract the people who just love to god-mod.  And admittedly that one exception got uncomfortably close to having a god-mod, but luckily we worked that little issue out.

Saikotsu

Since not everyone has the manuals, we'll not worry about the attributes and all that, though those that have them are welcome to build a character with 40 cp if you feel like it. For the most part, it will be a freeform game though, so don't worry about it too much. While I do remember how often a diceless system backfired in other roleplays we've played in Cmpuncle, I believe the players we've gathered here are mature enough to do a game without excessive dice rolls.  I'd rather not remove them entirely, however, but I think that in general we can go without them. That may change, but I think we'll be fine.  I'll probably only use dice rolls for boss fights, or in player versus player situations, and maybe some special circumstances.
- a friend

Les Man

That's cool with me in particular.

I do prefer "diceless," but like I said, I'll learn whatever you need me to, that's not a problem.  A good test run, freeform-style, would be a good idea though.

So already had a couple Bleach OC's designed, complete with pics; do you want me to PM you or post them here, Saikotsu?  I'd more than happy to alter him a little too, for the story, btw.

Wheresmycow

My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Saikotsu

since it's a low powered game to start off, 40 should be enough. I'll be posting the character sheet thread in just a little bit. Working on it right now.
Les man, you ahead and pm them to me.
- a friend

cmpuncle

and I'll get mine posted after you do that, as soon as our provider decides to let us keep our connection for longer then 15-30 minutes....

I'll tell you guys one thing never use ACN as your internet provider.

Les Man

^  lol.  Good to know.

I sent my PM, Saikotsu.  If you want me to transfer it to a points-system I'm sure it's possible.

If any of you other people are curious, here's a picture of the character I'm submitting: Dieter Falk Monch-Quincy.  He's yet to be approved, of course still, but hey... this is Show & Tell-time, right? lol

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Saikotsu on February 04, 2012, 06:11:20 PM
since it's a low powered game to start off, 40 should be enough. I'll be posting the character sheet thread in just a little bit. Working on it right now.
Les man, you ahead and pm them to me.
Well, given that the base points for an ordinary human in 3rd is 100-149, 40 is really low.  Unless I'm missing something entirely.

But aside from that, I'm thinking my character is a Soul Reaper from the 4th division, under Retsu Unohana.  He grew up in Soul Society, and became a Soul Reaper in an attempt to leave behind his shitty life and become somebody.  Unlike the majority of the Soul Reapers in the 4th division, he is combat capable, though it's debatable how he'd stand against someone from the 11th division.  He is proud of his division, and how essential it is to Soul Society, and he can be quite fierce if anyone makes fun them.  So, let's call him Masaki Daigo, Daigo is ambitious, proud, aggressive, and resolute.

His shikai turns his zanpakuto into clawed gauntlets, with a swirling pattern going up his arms like a DNA helix.  This allows him to channel his reiatsu into his own body, boosting him in terms of combat.  It also allows him to change how it boosts him, so he can be stronger, or tougher, or faster or some combination of the three.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Les Man

By the way, that sounds pretty cool to me, Wheresmycow.

Question though: are the points you're talking about in any way related to the "Battle Stats" I've seen for some chars?

Saikotsu

- a friend